Ncase m1/Itx build thread

Is there a reason to buy any case other than this one? What else would I need?
>Supports fully length gpus
>Can watercool or air cool no problem
>Supports 1 hhd + ssd and even optical drive.
>Great Temps
>Small as fuck
>Full aluminium build
Only thing is it's about $230 bucks shipped but I think it might be worth it. I just don't see why people buy mid towers for 2 hard drives and 1 gpu, sli/cf is useless anyways unless you are buying 2 1080s.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s2W0Lsf7hec
amazon.com/dp/B00B4QESVQ/ref=psdc_1254762011_t3_B00MPWYLHO)
pcpartpicker.com/list/vyc7XH
smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nfc-s4-mini-77-orangulan-brickless-s4.812/
pcpartpicker.com/list/GkbDcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/MZGDcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/NqVy4C
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I just don't see why people buy mid towers
Cheaper than meme ITX case and components usually, and most people don't live in a shoebox or need to move their PC often.
>sli/cf is useless anyways
Not really.

I mean there is really cheap itx cases too like the silverstone sg13 or the fractal define nano s or one of those cooler master ones or the fractal node -insert number here.
But my point is almost every pc build I see is just 1 hard drive + 1/2 ssds + 1 gpu in a big ass case.
I personally wouldn't buy anything bigger than the define nano S.

>putting a overpowered ATX PSU with a ITX build
>buying a platinum psu but running it less than 30% max load

>$230
So I pay more to get a smaller case.

Worth it

How are temps?

ITX cases are meme-tier trash. Prove me wrong
>super expensive mainboards+cases
>limited choice of coolers which cost double of a normal tower cooler which are more efficient and quieter
mATX is the sweet spot. Full-atx is gaymer trash

I'm going to build one of these after the army I think. Gon be good

Lol you gonna be dead nigga.

bruhh i got the same cpu cooler and fan

Nah, army is pretty safe usually.

Cases cost the same if you don't get a custom made one like the ncase. The only thing that's inconvenient is the sfx psu.

I built mine recently in a CM Elite 130, pretty happy with it so far and it's only like $45.

I do like the small form factor but in hindsight going mATX would probably be a smarter idea overall.

i hate mesh in the front.
otherwise its cool.

I'm so MEME it's ridiculous
Got tinted windows on my rig I'm inconspicuous
Run with this linux thang
it ain't yours you wish it was
We don't stop, it's so repeated and autistic.

kek
more?

I'm moving from my Ncase to the Dan a4-sfx.

But with the 1060's EVGA has out now, I'm actually thinking the MI-6 or NFC S4 mini would be cool.

>my setup at Quakecon this year

There's a smaller case now if you don't care about overclocking.
youtube.com/watch?v=s2W0Lsf7hec

no room for hdds on that thing.

It comes with a bracket to mount two 3.5" on the side over the psu/ cpu (if you're using an sfx psu and/ or low profile CPU cooler), and you can mount one under the gpu.
You can put 2.5" drives all over the case.

You can fit two HDDs pretty comfortably.

I dont overclock yet so the temps are very nice for the cpu (40-50 °C on gaming) and the gpu hardly reaches 80

>grey
I fucking love grey PCs. I wish they would come back so I didn't have to repaint my shit

Monitor?

dell

Where's your PSU?

didn't fit so put it outside, under my desk

kek, form over function at its finest.

It's to the right of the RAM, behind the 24pin cable.
user is just mad his case is a fatty

>buys ultra portable case
>brings it to friend's house
>shit, forgot the power supply.
literally why

I've been wanting to go mitx with a case like the one in the OP.

But I have to use a smaller PSU, correct? And mitx boards usually only support 2 ram slots?

I need to run 2x mechanical and at least 1 ssd as well.

This may be relevant to your interests.

why wouldn't you go node 804 if your going this big?

Depends, a lot of mItx cases support normal PSU but people choose to use sfx to have more room. Also sizes vary a lot ranging from this or the dan a4 that you can carry in a backpack or something as big as the define nano s.

I don't have a picture but yeah I can

Did you mod that screen?
how do you travel with your case?
I was thinking of buying one of those pelican cases, ideally having my pc + a small monitor.

I had used the M1 as my main PC for a while. But I wanted more perfomance and it wasn't able to cool as well as I wanted/needed.

I still use it, but it's air cooled now and my girlfriend uses it as her main PC. I also occasionally use it for LAN parties and what not.

I did, it's an iPad 3 LCD panel and "battery door", custom glass, and an abusemark adapter board. Also an articulated arm iPad stand.
I put everything except my headphones in a Cabela's trail cam bag, I'll post a picture when I get home if you want.

obvious advertising thread

Node 804 is huge in comparison. A mATX case that big is only worth it for watercooling but you have to be very careful with radiator measurements.

How high were your temps?
I was thinking of just going with a standard air cooler and a blower 1070. I don't usually like overclocking but I wouldn't want my card to go past 80.

Plz, do

That thing is like 50 bucks more expensive, no dust filters, no audio ports on the front and the ncase m1 has a HUGE community and easier to find documentation.

On air, my CPU would get upwards of like 65C during gaming loads and the GPU would get around 80C tops. (5820K and a GTX 980, stock clocks.)

The same hardware on water, with a 240*26mm radiator did pretty well, actually. The CPU during games would reach up to 50C, and the GPU would only really reach 50C also. My problem was a lot of the parts (including CPU and GPU) were "place holders" waiting for the hardware I actually wanted to release. My current rig (>) uses an i7-6950X and two GTX 1080's.

So, to get similar performance, I'd have have to have used a Titan XP instead in the M1. And with the 6950X, on a 4.0GHz, with that GPU, would not run too well on a single 240mm radiator. Or perhaps they would, but there wasn't really enough airflow for the heat from the radiator to evaporate properly, either. So, I just went back to an ATX case, stuffed two 360mm radiators in it, and we'll see how it does when my waterblocks come in.

It's also significantly smaller (7.25l vs 12.5l) and includes a 3m shielded riser cable.
And of course it doesn't have a community around it, no one has one yet.

>AMD
kek

So here's my picture I took after quakecon last year, and how the screen looks now stuck in next to it.
I use 3ft cables for the peripherals, which all have completely removable cables, and only need 2x mini usb, 1x DP, 1x Asus Micro USB, a double ended 3.5mm cable, and a C13 cable for power.
And like I said before, everything but my headphones fits in the bag.

>full length gpus
That are under 7 inches kek
>Can watercool or air cool no problem
give me a fucking break
>>Great Temps
top laff

ill be in my evolv itx if you need me

This case is half the size as the ncase M1, for about the same price. Do want.

>that triple 8-pin
kek, you can't make this shit up

Linus did a review of it, looks really fucking cool.

As someone who has an NCase, and built several Evolv ITX's, the NCase is my much preferred case. The Evolv ITX is huge by comparison. Comparing the NCase to the Evolv ITX is like comparing the Evolv ITX to a regular Evolv.

I also own the Evolv.

I mean, I guess if you use a short gpu you could rig it to the back of the PSU with tape or something.
Genuine question: people seem really attached to 3.5" drives for some reason, why is that?
Lots of people have asked/ mentioned similar thoughts in the thread on [H].

Because storage. SSDs aren't at that price/storage range yet. I'd like to get rid of my 3.5" drive because its the loudest component in my system, but until 2tb ssds are less than $100 i'll be using a 3.5" drive.

What about just running a server for storage.

That's the great thing about PC's. They're PERSONAL COMPUTERS. Do it how you want.

I would make a NAS with a raspberry Pi but I really cannot be bothered at this point in time. Maybe in the future when I can find a nice case for the NAS.

There's some decent large 2.5" drives around, for example this HGST 1tb (amazon.com/dp/B00B4QESVQ/ref=psdc_1254762011_t3_B00MPWYLHO)
which is only $60, or if you aren't all about speed there's a samsung momentus 2.5" for $140 that's 4tb @ 5400rpm

Yeah it's not that its 3.5" drive to me though, It's more that its a mechanical drive and its loud. Probably dying but its only got steam games on it.

I can totally understand the loudness thing, I lived on a single 120gb 840 evo for a few months before I got my old 250gb 850 evo to supplement it.

Now you can get a sandisk ultra II 1tb for ~$200, which is a pretty decent deal.
I grabbed one on sale a few months ago and it's been doing me well so far.

>Now you can get a sandisk ultra II 1tb for ~$200
Really? I'll have to look into that then and do a NAS project build.

Can someone help me understand the optical drive thing on this case?
It costs the same, what do I lose if I order the one with the optical drive?

I mean the odd cutout of course, I know it doesn't come with an optical drive but what do I lose by installing one.

Pretty sure you need to change to SFX psu and cant put in a 3.5" drive in the space of the optical drive.

Yeah, When I saw it I jumped on it, and it's $218 on amazon right now.
If you install an ODD you lose two potential 2.5" drive mounts in the front of the case, but you can still mount two on the inside front.
>pic related
The ODD if installed will prevent you from putting drives there, but you can mount them on the opposite side of that wall no problem.

Opposite side mounting
>840 evo in front, 850 evo behind it

Is that a 1080? What are your temps like under load?

980, it tops out at 83C when playing games, furmark will get it to 85.
I'm considering switching to a 1060 for the lower TDP.

I'm assuming you are stuck with founder edition cards for now right?

It's an asus reference card, yeah.

I'm looking at getting a gigabyte G1, or maybe the EVGA SC since it's short and gives me more case options.
Though if I went with the SC I'd have to redo my cable management because it relies a bit on the length of the 980.

Isn't the 1060 almost the same performance wise? Is it really that bad to keep those temps?

It seems to be almost exactly the same, yeah.
The temps aren't bad with the 980, but a lower TDP means less potential noise, and switching to a 1060 would mean I could get a non-reference cooler that cuts the fans off under 60C.
I'm autistic about noise, I imported an alpenfohn peter II cooler for my old 750ti for a total cost of $130 to get rid of the noise it was making.
It paid off though, because pic related was properly silent at load and idle.
like, put your ear into the case in a library and don't hear anything but the faintest hum from the noctua fan closest to your ear silent.

It's at the front. Here's a different build where you can see it better.

Is the btifenix prodigy sttill considered a good case? Ncase is too much 4 me

Dedicated sound card

It's not a bad case, it's just kind of big for mITX since it's 30L.
Look at the Silverstone TJ08-E if you don't mind the case being that big.
Or the cougar QBX, which is like a cheaper, slightly larger Ncase made of steel.
Can be done in the Ncase if you use a DTX board.

>noctua u9 coolers everywhere
does every cunt with an m1 use one of these?

Nah, it's just a good fit for the case and keeps the area around the CPU socket accessible. Lots of people using AIOs and various other air coolers though.

i used it because it was a decent price and fit (and fuck aio, got one in my other pc)

used with horizontal fans it lines up almost perfectly with the 92mm fan hole at the back of the case, pretty neat

but my long-term plan is for custom watercooling, once i get sick of the 1080 fan noise

pass on this one. it's a huge fuck-all case
>you might as well carry a milk carton crate

Just fuck my hardware up with housefire temps: the case.

nah

i dont like cases that cost more than $50 and as large as my monitor

$200 case

give to girlfriend

why :(

I got me an aerocool strike-x cube case and I'd say it's done quiet well. R6 siege on ultra and gpu hit 69 celcus tops and fan wasn't even at 100%

Sure it m-atx but I'd say I'm rather happy with the result judging by that!

They're all so cute!!

Get a Cougar QBX. It's basically the same thing for only $50

Or even better get an SG13. You will have to get a fan or AIO cooler to go with it, but it's only $40

The Ncase is just an overpriced meme, there are way better alternatives.

QBX is good if you want to go cheap, but it's bigger and not nearly as a e s t h e t i c
Good case though, I'd recommend it overall.
Ncase is nicer though.

SG13 like you said all but requires an AIO, for people like me who fly with their computer and/ or hate pump noise that's not a good option. It is technically a little smaller than the M1 though.

R8?
pcpartpicker.com/list/vyc7XH

That's pretty fucking awesome. Kudos to you for putting in the time making something like that work.

That NFC s4 would be rad, especially now that components are getting less power hungry

Definitely.
The biggest negative to me would be an external power brick, but I saw someone on sffforum found a brick they could mount internally for a picops, and I feel like I could shoehorn it in somewhere with the EVGA 1060SC if I tried.

phanteks has sexy grey cases, bro

Found the build log
smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nfc-s4-mini-77-orangulan-brickless-s4.812/

>outdated/10
pcpartpicker.com/list/GkbDcc
you can add SSD later when you can afford it.

forgot to remove ram before choosing mobo, here's fixed version with DDR4: pcpartpicker.com/list/MZGDcc

Because I want my computer easily serviceable, with high airflow, stylish, able to contain a high-end motherboard with enough vrms, at least 2 PCIe 16x slots and 4 RAM slots and that allows me to use a high-end air-cooler.

pcpartpicker.com/list/NqVy4C
This is my build plan, I use those prices from past sales and I won't buy this for 3 months so I expect prices to drop even further on some components.
I have no use for the 1070 since I game in 1080 and I'd rather wait for next gen gpus to go 4k and a $400 card.
Might replace ssd for an m2 and the cooler with an air one but I don't know what's better for traveling.

I don't think you can fit two radiators (240, 200) in that thing so

>Great Temps

are probably very high. $230? Idiot.

Bitfenix Prodigy is the king of itx (because it's actually matx).