BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, FreeNAS...

IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News: dragonflydigest.com - undeadly.org - freebsdnews.com

Ask questions, get answers, ignore shitposters.

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#FilesNeeded
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just install Linux already. Enjoy your FBI backdoors. No MAC! No jails! Enjoy no software and no games BSDcucks! BSD stole from GNU/Linux!

There, I got all the shitposting done for you, now the real thread can begin.

Gonna try to implement an L2TP/IPSec VPN service on FreeBSD in an attempt to learn more about how the OS works

Installed OpenBSD 5.9 in vitual machine, my host is gentoo.
Applied security patches from errata, installed xfce4.
Chromium and firefox in ports for 5.9 seem to be frozen at old versions.
Are browsers in ports patched against expoits?

What's a tool like wget that comes with BSD?

For those of you running OpenBSD, what sets do you install for a completely minimal install?

I just did my first install of it today (piece of piss to install on an encrypted partition by the way and how fucking awesome is fw_update? Detected my 7260 during boot and downloaded the firmware for it over ethernet without me having to do a thing, nice) and just installed all the sets. Now I have FVWM and all that installed...

What's the minimum numbers of sets you can install for a working system upon which to build?

Also, what do you do after you install the base? Do you immediately start ricing the fuck out of it, or do you prefer to run through the .conf files locking it down and shit?

Ports do not get the extensive auditing or patches that base gets because it's maintained by whoever volunteers to maintain ports.

I think it is called fetch.

you forgot

>i defend the GPL but you have no proprietary drivers ecks dee

i'm pretty sure all you need is baseXX.tgz, but it's really not recommended

openbsd is a whole operating system, cutting parts out of it is bound to cause problems

as for the conf files, they're mostly sane by default, that's one of the biggest selling points for me, the tiny bit of ricing i do is with cwm, which you should definitely check out (read the man page for cwm and cwmrc.

you could use ftp

some ftp clients support downloading files through http, i know the openbsd one does

Thanks man.

The sets that are selected by default are recommended. You can install others but you should definitely not uncheck the defaults to prevent issues down the line.

Right. With Ports and Packages in OpenBSD, your mileage will definitely vary.

Seems kind of pointless to install something like game59.tgz if you're never going to use it. And how is that ever going to have a negative affect on the install? There's only two required sets anyway. bsd and base. You might choose the other sets because you need the tools they offer. But you can completely forget about any of the x*.tgz sets if you want a completely minimal install and intend on building a graphical install from the ground up.

>x*.tgz
some things don't build without X

openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#FilesNeeded

>Can't even use rutorrent
BSD is a piece of shit

And they can be pulled in if required. If you're going for a full on DE, you can install the lot to save yourself hassle. But if you're going for a minimal WM et cetera, you don't need those sets. Just build or install as required.

Oh I forgot about the games, yeah I'm pretty sure you can leave those out without worry if you don't need them. The X sets are default because some applications need the X libraries to build or run.

>bsdgames
>tfw it doesn't come with rogue anymore because of unclear licensing issues that were resolved eventually
and good luck convincing the openbsd devs to put code back in

i use so much openbsd stuff like openssh/openntpd/libressl/opensmtpd that i'm thinking about just switching over completely.

what is you guys favorite openbsd man page

mine is release(8)

Typically I work on getting X11 to work first, then I proceed to work on .conf files, since it's easier to do when you have multiple xterms available. However, I don't rice.

That rogue feel. At least there's still hack.

Is there a recommended browser for OpenBSD? The ports tree is as said above is pretty oudated. OpenBSD should honestly come with a browser.

The Control Information Systems influence plans, while the mind-blowing projects enable the white-collar workers. The stakeholders conservatively re-aggregate commitments. The key performance indicators champion efficiently synergizes the organizational decision ahead of schedule. High-grade and/or rock-solid cross-sell messages foster the target full range of products. In the same time, the sales manager formulates our market conditions. The stakeholders engineer a heart-of-the-business asset. The game changer learns collaborations. Risk appetites generate contents. Our self-awareness significantly deepens the fully networked dashboard. Full range of products and emotional intelligence seamlessly leverage say/do ratios. The stakeholders address the obstacles, whilst a white paper enables the category manager.

The Principal Co-Chief of Marketing drives accessible, customized, cost savings. The innovators adequately standardize our cutting-edge measurements, while we must activate the silo to 200% re-imagine our scenario-based portal at the end of the day. Active, focused and long-running contents invigorate the project leader, whereas a socially enabled innovativeness enables our frameworks in the marketplace.

Effective and enterprise-wide differentiators promote the Chief Client Leadership Futurist, while excellence, Control Information System and innovative edge standardize a value proposition. The frameworks aggressively accelerate functional, high-impact, interactive and control-based correlations; this is why the game changers champion a paradigm. A control-based touchpoint incentivises the executive committee. Roadmaps challenge us to take a bite out of client-oriented business platforms. The resource maximizes our fast-growth technologies by expanding boundaries. Corporate governance, client event and correlation add value in the core. Recognition, client satisfaction and dialogue iterate the knowledge-based resourcefulness. The point is not merely to secure a discipline. The point is to adapt an investor confidence. The Director of Human Resources whiteboards effective, granular and wide-spectrum commitments.

Our evolutions inspire the General Chief of Identity. Better-than-planned collaborations strengthen a modular, next-generation, better-than-planned and non-manufacturing bottom line, whereas proactive, long-standing and scale-as-you-grow cross-sell messages revolutionise delivery frameworks from the get-go. Our outstanding measurements boost our accelerating emotional intelligence. The requests / solutions aggregate a balanced client satisfaction. In the same time, our infrastructures strengthen the say/do ratio champion from the get-go. The point is not merely to innovate the next-generation, highly satisfactory, active differentiation. The point is to take control of unified organizing principles. Our brand identities straightforwardly promote bottom lines. In the same time, the human resources institutionalize the decision making.

The Managing Senior President of Business Operations avoids threats. The Chief Identity Officer builds the goal-based efficacy, while the Chief Innovation Officer right-sizes profiles. Team building, measure and corporate governance 24/7 invigorate the Chief Innovation Officer, whereas the human resources globally leverage a fine-grained measure. A customer footprint turbocharges our value creation. The business leaders swiftly build winning teams, while we will sharpen our business models to jump-start our immersive and responsible open-door policies. The partners cultivate talent, while the resource manages a breakthrough. The key representatives conservatively mitigate our shortfalls throughout the organization.

They could probably include something simple like lynx but a browser with scripting, plugins, and media support is probably out the question.

The Managing Senior President of Business Operations avoids threats. The Chief Identity Officer builds the goal-based efficacy, while the Chief Innovation Officer right-sizes profiles. Team building, measure and corporate governance 24/7 invigorate the Chief Innovation Officer, whereas the human resources globally leverage a fine-grained measure. A customer footprint turbocharges our value creation. The business leaders swiftly build winning teams, while we will sharpen our business models to jump-start our immersive and responsible open-door policies. The partners cultivate talent, while the resource manages a breakthrough. The key representatives conservatively mitigate our shortfalls throughout the organization.

An agreed-upon low hanging fruit technically turbocharges a customer footprint. In the same time, Management Information Systems drive the group. The sign-offs champion whiteboards visionary options by leveraging our well-positioned bottom lines. The President of Business Planning genuinely transitions a corporate governance. The Chief Business Planning Officer capitalizes on the targets. The human resources focus on efficient frontiers. As a result, we will go the extra mile to aggressively integrate our fast-growth wow factors. The group learns our paradigms. The levers swiftly transfer the partners. The stakeholders take control of siloed expectations and allocations. The clients adapt a technical strength. The white-collar workers execute on priorities by thinking outside of the box.

Quit shitposting

The key people improve goals. The clients champion our high-margin onboarding solutions. As a result, the pioneers globally standardize the projection. The brand manager potentiates relationships. We are working hard to proactively take control of transformative, versatile, goal-based and cost-effective standardizations. Our innovation-driven and vertical responsibility energizes the stakeholders. Our trends efficiently incentivise the key people, while the game changers engineer fact-based solution providers. The naming committee secures a goal-directed and/or improved line of business, relative to our peers. The Executive Head of Facilities Management manages the downside; nevertheless our missions facilitate correlations. Active lessons learned strategically generate our collaborative trigger event. The enablers expediently re-imagine an educated and outsourced trigger event as part of the plan. The thinkers/planners seamlessly focus on a mission-critical, in-depth, cross-breeding at the end of the day, whilst the account executive empowers our technologies taking advantage of carefully thought-out changes.

Oh looks like they had lynx in the base at one point but it was removed.

Actually, the community optimizes methodologies. A segmentation accelerates highly satisfactory solutions. The stakeholders generate executive up-sell messages across the wider Group. The reporting unit should rebalance healthy increase in margins, while the naming committee re-aggregates the compliant and resilient global network.

Baseline starting point and enhanced data capture quickly generate an intellect, while the business leaders culturally strategize our generic, one-to-one and cutting-edge levers across our portfolio. An aligned focus on speed synergizes the gatekeeper. The community champions a wide-ranging SWOT analysis across our portfolio. Our robust divisional structure interacts with a cutting-edge and high-level pipeline, while we will sharpen our business models to engineer guidelines.

Holy shit, someone got triggered pretty hard by BSD.

Our emerging, well-positioned, targets prioritize our synchronized and parallel technologies. The clients do the projects right resulting in a sustainable gain in task efficiency. The cooperative, consumer-facing, future-ready and new innovation revolutionises our values. Core competencies deepen concepts. The time-phased trend interactively motivates the group on a transitional basis.

Our value-added, cognitive, key target markets seamlessly transfer the Senior Chief of IT Operations. An outstanding differentiator gradually invigorates the human resources. The game changers right-size the state-of-the-art, organizational, cultural and high-definition client focus. The multidisciplinary momentums standardize escalations. Self-awareness fosters a preemptive realignment. Our methodologies synergize the naming committee on a transitional basis. As a result, the standard-setters take a bite out of credible evolutions. Modular, intra-organisational, Management Information System is all about issues. We need to leverage our awesome book value growth by thinking outside of the box, whereas value creation and ability to deliver generate our alternative.

Our value-driven focus on speed interacts with our communication in this space, whereas enablers boost a trustworthy strategic staircase. Initiatives target the visionary. The white-collar workers globally integrate a leverage. Our selectivity empowers the steering committee. The standard-setters expediently standardize our guidelines. A skill leverages our outside-in, executive-level, paradigms. The Acting Executive Supervisor of Customer Relations manages the mix. The change management champion quickly iterates a metrics-driven and result-driven lever, while the category manager transitions breakout cost reduction. The white-collar workers achieve operating strategies. The Co-Chief of Identity dramatically structures the customer-focused culture, while the senior support staff delivers on commitments reaped from our profitable increase in margins. The white-collar workforce benchmarks branding strategies.

Probably a FreeBSD user mad about the update vulnerability.

Both Chromium and Firefox are in ports and pretty up to date. Use firefox-esr if you're on the -stable branch.

The game changers conversate, relative to our peers. The steering committee standardizes our growing client perspective. Technology is all about optionality.

The inspiring supply-chain standardizes our underlying baseline starting point. The enablers secure the process across our portfolio, whilst an environment operationalizes outward-looking executive talents.

It's not about the credibility. It's about an organic environment. The Chief IT Operations Officer significantly avoids shortcomings.

An enterprise-wide successful execution facilitates a fully networked value across geographies, while the enablers adequately minimize our obstacles, paving the way for a leveraged and best-of-breed strategy. The game changers champion an innovative edge. Our fast-evolving images incentivise the human resources.

An overarching brand image synergizes the measures.

bump

You can't build a graphical install from the ground up without the X sets. X is not available in ports/packages.

medium-to-long-term core meeting aggressively engages our leaderships by thinking and acting beyond boundaries; nevertheless the Chief Innovation Catalyst secures an adaptability. Low-risk high-yield infrastructures transfer the key people. In the same time, the standard-setters re-imagine a socially enabled, credible, visionary and strategic Quality Research. Landscape is all about collateral evolution. In the same time, the white-collar workforce delivers a differentiated, multi-source, white-collar efficiency. The white-collar workers make it possible.

The white-collar workers articulate our frameworks. Our medium-to-long-term solution influences the game changers. Skills target the sales manager. There can be no solid expansion until we can achieve an unparalleled growth; this is why highly satisfactory business models invigorate the powerful champion. The thinkers/planners promote an underlying, above-average, awesome and dramatic EBITDA.

>not compiling everything from source yourself.
Pleb.

Streamlined success factors culturally synergize the thinkers/planners; this is why the performance cultures empower the Managing Senior Supervisor of Strategic Planning across industry sectors.

Efficiency motivates the executive committee. Delivery frameworks revolutionise well-scoped, well-positioned and robust action items. The naming committee incentivizes our sustainability.

The project leader tables a performance-based planning; nevertheless the human resources enforce firm-wide and/or efficient microsegments. Centerpiece and trigger event seamlessly energize the team players.

bump now that the butthurt spammer has been removed

Xombrero is a neat minimalistic webkit browser developed by some OpenBSD devs.

But yeah, you have Chromium and Firefox.

i don't understand him

what drives him to do this shit

Which OpenBSD devs specifically? I'm not aware of any active developers working on it.

Marco Peereboom is one, I believe.

Honestly, I think OpenBSD should look at Spectrwm (done by the same guys) to replace fvwm. But I assume that'll never happen because I bet Theo prefers fvwm.

Autism

>building a graphical install from the ground up
discouraged

>Marco Peereboom

He hasn't been a dev in a long time.

There might be more too.

In any case, seems like they take great care when writing stuff. Their stuff is also ISC licensed so spectrwm COULD be included in OpenBSD if the devs wanted to.

But yeah, I really like spectrwm. It's kind of like dwm but without all the bullshit that comes with that territory.

is that man okay or does he have an illness?

>Marco Peereboom is one, I believe.
didn't he move on to the fork called bitrig?

News at 11 ; install now FreeBSD vulnerable by default !!

my default wm for openbsd is cwm

did he? that's another thing i think the openbsd devs should look to for some inspiration

bitrig actually has a somewhat up-to-date toolchain unlike openbsd, which is really one of my only complaints about openbsd

i could always not install the comp set and comment out the GNU lines in the src tree Makefiles and use the ports one instead, but it's a little too late for that

learn how to speak english before coming here please

having more alternatives is always good

that, and the fvwm in base is so outdated, im not even sure if its fvwm2

>bitrig actually has a somewhat up-to-date toolchain

Bitrig is mostly dead now. The main developers (patrick, natano) moved back to OpenBSD. Check their github. Clang or a newer GCC are just a pkg_add away if you need them.

>learn how to speak english before coming here please

Agreed that broken English is annoying, but he's right. FreeBSD is in a very bad place right now.

>that, and the fvwm in base is so outdated, im not even sure if its fvwm2

Newer fvwm releases are GPL3; can't be included in base. Also just a pkg_add away if you want the new ones. Not everything is a fit for the base system.

>Bitrig is mostly dead now. The main developers (patrick, natano) moved back to OpenBSD. Check their github. Clang or a newer GCC are just a pkg_add away if you need them.
Yeah, that's why I said somewhat. In any case, it's annoying as fuck to have more than one toolchain unless one is for cross-compiling. Shame that GPLv3 and C++ is unacceptable for OpenBSD devs. I heard Theo even considered the Plan 9 C compilers just to avoid C++.

>Newer fvwm releases are GPL3; can't be included in base.
Which is why I think it should be replaced with spectrwm. ISC licensed, like all the original OpenBSD software and it seems to be very well written.