Why would anyone buy this

Why would anyone buy a Chromebook Pixel at it's $1,299 pricetag, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/q4udwHn
amazon.com/Samsung-128GB-Flash-MUF-128BB-AM/dp/B017DH3O5A/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4FZ87K8G8C39W12626D5
plus.google.com/ FrancoisBeaufort/posts/L3zmATV8BW5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Linux laptop with MacBook-like specs.

Sounds like heaven to me.

true, if you take ChromeOS off i guess.

Yes, I bought one and I run Gentoo on it. Git gud.

I got one from work.

why would anyone buy a $1000 GPU
when the top of line gpu before was 700, and the one before that was 550
and the ones before that were 500

srsly guize
why the fuck are they charging more for their brackets... the performance is barely even increasing..

it's like they want to continue making and selling previous generation GPUs without supporting them, and matching their next gen price towards the performance of gpus from 2011

I'm not very knowledgeable but can you install linux or even windows on this ?

AMA

Well... How is it?

What are you using it for?

Did you stick with ChromeOS?

Does that look like fucking ChromeOS you fucking inbred?

macbook like specs

but not macbook like build quality unfortunately

but you can get a thinkpad with the same specs as a stock rMBP and it's hundreds more than the macbook

wow I'm surprised Apple hasn't already sued Google for completely aping this design.

>no one else is allowed to make aluminum laptops

It's pretty great. It has some critical flaws that hurt it pretty bad but the rest of it is so nice I can overlook it. I initially installed Arch to the main soldered-in SSD and it ran like an absolute dream for, oh, 3 months before SWAP or something else killed the SSD. Fought like hell to get it returned on warranty, and now I boot from a flash drive.

The specs are fucking killer, the speakers are nice, I actually do get at least 8 hours of battery on medium screen brightness, and after a year or so every single weird hardware piece is mainline in the kernel. I mostly use it for scripting and taking notes in classes but it can handle some heavy duty CAD, simulation, and android development like a champ too. The only downside is the flash drive boot disk.

If it had more USB ports, function keys instead of the weird control ones, a dedicated GPU or at least an Iris, and a mSATA drive it would actually be completely perfect.

Having used both, I can confirm it does actually have Macbook like build quality. Maybe better. The keyfeel is better, it's full of little amazing touches (knock for battery life, USB-C charging with ports on both sides, auto proximity keyboard backlight), and it's built like a rock. I actually setit by my bedside once, got up, and stood on it. All of my weight before I realized it wasn't the floor, for like 2 seconds. Absolutely not a trace of damage. I'm btdubs

A full Intel Ultrabook with eMMC storage. Just fuck my shit up.

yo that shit's 16:10 isn't it?
that maybe-fake google employee from a while ago said there's a new one in the works, too.
I'll fucking jump on this shit.

3:2, actually, it felt awkward at first but I'd never look back now. There's the perfect amount of vertical room for text and if I set the DPI to like 1.7 instead of 2 it can fit all the sidebars of whatever applications you need.

Linux laptop for "innovators" (aka Apple cucks who thing Ubuntu is "too nerdy").

>"but you use a Mac too"
Yeah, but I don't rely on Apple. I just use it because it's a decent mobile machine.

>Shit specs
>Expensive
>Crippled stock OS
>Shit keyboard
>Generic Macbook clone
>No ports
>Internal battery
I can only assume because they buy based on looks alone.

man, there are like three laptops period that have that.
fuck me.

I can't even tell what demographic you're trying to bash bro

> Same specs as a Macbook (except GPU) for 2/3 the price
> lol stock OS
> you've never used the keyboard
> google > generic
> 4 USB ports
> nothing to fill your cargo pants pockets with

o.k.!

> Same specs as a Macbook (except GPU) for 2/3 the price
So it's not as good as an overpriced macbook, but is still close to the same price
>Never used the keyboard
I did, it was shit. I've used laptops from the 90s that had better keyboards.
>4 USB ports
My HP from 2006 can do better than that, and USB isn't the only port there is
> nothing to fill your cargo pants pockets with
Nice argument you got there.

nope
you can use chroot to use linux but this is only available in dev mode.

I think Pixel 3 will be announced alongside the 2016 nexus phones

Its a fancy dedicated youtube machine.
Designed to apeal to milenial gender studies students.

>Soldered in ssd...
Thats a dealbreaker

>if you take ChromeOS off
You can also use crouton to switch seamlessly between ChromeOS and a linux distro

Would you picked a used for $500?

Pixel 3 will be a flip convertible launching in 2017

>aluminum
it's aluminium you ameritard.

I love how people get so mad over little things Sup Forums everyone

They charge what people are willing to pay. Simple economics.

It looks really nice. If I had 1300 dollary doos to throw away I'd buy one and install Kubuntu on it.

cool story bro

it has the best aspect ratio for coding and its pretty.

His question was perfectly reasonable because he could be using crouton.

ChromeOS is shite, prove me wrong in discord.gg/q4udwHn

just install on the SSD, would be much better, you don't need a swap partition

Nah, it's "aluminum".

That's it boys, there's the inflation , IT will become the next housing market with laptops and pre-built PC's costing more than 2000-3000$ for shit technology.
You're paying more for the fucking logo (google logo) than you are paying for hardware(which cost roughly 300$). They adopted apple strategy

How much did you pay? Can you even install normal programs or do you have to stick with shitty apps made for smartphones?

Fuck you Jeowgle

Is it worth buying or trading for?

I've kinda grown out of my Macbook, and I'm being offered cash and a Pixel 2 for it.

The root is "alumina" you fucking twat. Learn some Latin.

I have one for work. It's not a Sup Forums machine. Do not buy.

Its primary purpose is to make the rest of the Chromebook lineup look better.

>DOES THAT LOOK LIKE CHROMEOS? OBVIOUSLY EVERYONE HAS SEEN CHROMEOS AND KNOWS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.

You realize this kind of autism is just insufferable right?

nigga it says firefox right there you think that shit runs on chromeos

If it had a viable internal storage solution it would be fine. They could have just given you an msata port but had to be shits about it because they want you to use the cloud.

dell xps is the best windows laptop. Nothing even compares.

that keyboard looks shallow as fuck. How does it feel to type on?

I'm running Linux, it doesn't really matter. But you can install arbitrary android apps, plus there is a wealth of web apps like Koding, 123D, etc. that do really well on ChromeOS. Not that I'd use it or anything.

Pretty good, actually. Better than a Macbook, worse than a Thinkpad. Probably the best chiclet I've ever typed on, and in the middle of the range on all the laptop keyboards I've used.

Ha nobody would buy that

It's not really going to offer you much that a Macbook won't besides minor stuff (USB-C charging on both sides, lightbar, backlit keyboard, 3:2 screen) but I think it's as good or better hardware wise, minus the GPU. All that being said, do it if you want to run Linux on it, don't if you won't.

How the fuck do you manage to live without a super key

My surface book has a 3:2 ratio and I love it.

I love mine. I have crouton debian cli-extra on it, so it's a full debian cli environment.

Most of what I do is either write scientific code or latex, so I needed a laptop that provided a good screen & a beefy battery and an OS with a text editor, pdf viewer, and a way to get a computational environment or mosh installed. It's been a dream.

forgot pic

How do you guys deal with the abysmal local storage

It's really not that bad for two reasons.

first, amazon.com/Samsung-128GB-Flash-MUF-128BB-AM/dp/B017DH3O5A/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4FZ87K8G8C39W12626D5

Second, I use stuff like Paperpile (for reference management) and all my research data lives in a SQL database somewhere else. I actually have quite a bit of space left on my drive.

>19 Gigabytes left
>bar is only 2 thirds
also, how do ">muh gaymes" work on it? Could I play morrowind?

out of 64 GBs, having about 1/3rd of the bar clear means you have ~20 GBs left, no?

If you're on the dev channel of chromeos, you can get android apps (and thus, I assume, android games), but that shit is buggy as fuck right now. I don't know how games would work on crouton w/ a GUI. They've got some weird graphics stack:
plus.google.com/ FrancoisBeaufort/posts/L3zmATV8BW5

Personally, I think chrooting an entire DE is pretty silly, which is why I just use the debian cli-extras chroot from w/in crosh.