>"Of course, I don't have one."
>"Well, do you have a Twitter?"
>"Nope."
>"Linkedin? Google+? Myspace (chuckle)?"
>"Sorry ma'am, but I don't have any social media account."
>"...huh"
>after the interview, she said that she'll get back to me
>they have never called back since.

Why did social media have to become a requirement nowadays?

I just cannot bring myself to put my real name on the Internet, the "old school 90s" mentality prevents me from doing so. Ever since I was a kid everyone around me told me to never put my name on the internet, never put my real information on the internet, and now it's a requirement.

I know my name is on here, and I know any idiot who wanted to could play NSA and find out everything about me with a couple clicks at most, but regardless I just don't feel right making an account myself with my real name, real pictures, real backstory and things. I have a gmail account obviously, but with a fake name.

How the fuck do I shake this autism off of me?

Most people at least have linkedin for professional shit.

Just create a fake one and upload a publicly avaible picture of yourself. Do not post anything.

Fuck them OP, move on.
Social websites are cancer anyhow, fuck it's bad enough that I have to have a screenname on Steam, let alone use fucking Steam.

>giving the botnet pictures of yourself
>giving the botnet the opportunity to take your privacy away
what would lord stallman say

If they require social media chances are they're a shitty place to work for in the first place

Lord Stallman has pictures of him online. I think he would create one fake account with no information on it, then de-activate it.

>no LinkedIn
it's like you don't want to get a job

gog

Just make a LinkedIn account. Only necessary data. Pic is a maybe

At a bare minimum you should have a linkedin when looking for employment. You can have a Facebook you never post to as long as it exists with an up to date picture. You really are just besting yourself for a retarded reason, pops.

This.

Stop being an autist, OP. This is like refusing to be listed in a phone book.

Would you seriously use LinkedIn now that it's owned by Microsoft?

What is going on here?

>stories that are totally made up
I don't have any social media accounts and had no problems finding offers.

I'm not saying I like it, but sometimes you have to do shit you don't like.
Like says, only use publicly available info.

LinkedIn is basically a requirement for getting a job these days. Make one and link to your qualifications (resume, cover letter, etc). Employers love that.

My dad did shit like that, and had some faggot option enabled so when we called people with caller id it wouldn't show our number- even though it should have as we were fucking calling them. So instead of being able to call my mother it was basically a call block. Hur dur thanks dad

This, fammalammadingdong

iMillennials.

all reddit crossposters

>implying

they probably think that since the only way to contact you is by phone, or possibly this "fake name" gmail account, you actually don't know how to computer and are either practically inept or weirdly tinfoil hat-tier.

either way it raised red flags with your interviewer and thats all that mattered

When I interview people and they lack an online presence completely, it tells me that maybe they're lying about their identity

At the very least get a linkedin and get rid of it once you get hired. They only require a bare minimum of info, and you only have to put on info that pertains to the job you're looking for. It tells the interviewer that you at the very least have the initiate and know how to attempt to market yourself

Sup Forums needs a pychologist subchan for faggots like this guy

Me not getting hired had very little to do with social media. I'm almost certain it's because I live near a uni and one of the CS fags from there probably got it because degree

>subchan

>it raised red flags with your interviewe
I am pretty sure it's more likely they know nothing about tech and think if you don't have a facebook, they outed you for being some sort of blackhat deviant. People who check facebooks are looking for dirt on you so they have a reason not to hire you so they can gossip about it over lunch. Nothing more, nothing less.

then why did you think social media has become some sort of requirement these days?

>the ole b8 gits dem rascals agn!

This is why the companies that aren't shit do not involve HR in the hiring process. They are just paperwork monkeys.

>it tells me that maybe they're lying about their identity
>he doesn't know that you can contact the university/college and former work places if any the interviewee came from to confirm his identity
>doesn't know how to contact references, as in real people, that are willing to vet or vouch for the interviewee

Fuck linkedin, but also praise linkedin, shit's hilarious when you can dig up Huma, the Clinton Foundation, CTR, and the piss loving Muslim who was using his dead son for politics.

You could grow up.

>companies that have HR

>giving the botnet pictures of yourself
You're already too late on that one in all likelihood.

Your ugly mug is already in 9000 NSA databases. Might as well use one for good.

The looks she was giving me suggested I was some sort of alien for not having a social media presence. Like the very concept of a person devoid of a Facebook, Twitter, or whatever else couldn't be real, and it leads me to believe that people expect you to have it.

Hi Dad.
"Well I think that if we're calling somebody then they should be able to see who we are, what's wrong with that"
>Dad spergs out

I showed that faggot, I broke his fucking phone.
The man was such a recluse in his basement all of the time that it took him 3 months to realize the upstairs phone was broken. Naturally he thinks it's just a dead battery so keks were had when he buys a new one and then discovers the pcb is broken from punching the phone while in the cradle.

Not my fault, I got mad at those fucking VR Missions man

OP stop being a beta and call THEM back.

If you want something, go get it instead of posting on Sup Forums about how you are too lazy to take action.

I also heard from other managers that do a lot of hiring, It can be used to confirm your identity. If you say your name is Neeman Markus, and there is a fb profile for Neeman Markus with your picture and bunch of friends, it tells me not only all the dumb shit you post on facebook (reasons not to hire), but that you actually use the name you gave us, and are recognized by that name.

Because if nothing at all comes up relevant to your name, it tells me you're actually not who you say you are and probably have a laundry list of crimes that you're covering up

Also I've never had anyone care about my lack of facebook, I only started using linkedin after I obtained my first job to keep up with coworkers after I left.

You realize populating search results with a big social media presence helps obfuscate any incriminating information about you, right? Or that any company with job worthy chops can easily background check their potential hires.

Don't put your resume on LinkedIn. It seems stupid because it contains 90% the same info but they're supposed to be distinct things. The linkedin is just a secondary thing really

You gotta tailor your actual resume for each job you apply to. Send your resume separate.

What I do is I have a "master resume" containing every single bit of info about my career or career related things in fancy bullet points and categories and shit. Then when I apply to a job I look at what I want and I trim off all the parts that aren't relevant so that it fits on one page.

All this tells me is that HR has become too lazy to do any real work. Why go through the trouble of doing it the old-fashioned way when you have all these tools and inadvertently volunteered info at the touch of your fingertips.

>Why did social media have to become a requirement nowadays?
Because they want to be able to monitor your activity outside of work to determine what kind of person you are.

>ike the very concept of a person devoid of a Facebook, Twitter, or whatever else couldn't be real
just like your bullshit story isn't real?

What amuses me is that there are people autistic enough to not use social media in 2016 but still carry around a smartphone and use the internet at home

If confirming identity is the case, then what the fuck is my government appointed ID for?

Also I probably will tomorrow. I do need bux

I refuse.

Ho, someones unloading tonight. You should take this shit to your therapist familia.

Well that's pretty dumb because you can hide literally everything except your name from people who aren't friended with you (or facebook itself, but that's another issue)

You can have an account with just 1 photo, and nobody looking you up on facebook would be none the wiser that you have no friends or don't post jack shit because your privacy settings hide it

The culture around Twitter and Facebook is shit. That's what deters me. And then with LinkedIn, it defaults to showing people when you view their profile which is creepy either end of that transaction. Unlike OP though, I wouldn't be mad. I'd be happy I dodged a bullet working for that stupid of a company.

It can't be a "requirement", because nobody can force you to put up personal info like name, education, past/current employers etc. on a publicly accessible website for everyone to see. Those who imply otherwise are cunts full of shit. A right to privacy still exists, no matter what others may think.

My mother has explicitly requested phone books to not list her, and yet they do so anyways. She doesn't want a certain person from her past finding her. There are plenty of valid reasons to not want information about yourself being public.

:^)

Like I said I know I'm being tracked and all, but I still can't bring myself to do it. I just can't bring myself to combat something embedded into me since birth

also has merit

You're thinking wrong you idiot.
You need them, not the other way around, they've probably already hired some Superior chad by now thanks to your incompetence

LIVIN IN AMERICA! Where everyone has a right to your gossip.

None of which apply to OP I wager.

Pretty sure there are plenty of companies who would pay better and not have a shitty interview process outlined by OP. You sound like b8 though so might not be worth responding.

I'm good now, finally got my gaymen pc built.

t. the guy that bought a 960 from bbuy lol

What companies _don't_ involve HR in the hiring process? Not only virtually all do, but the HR person has more decisive power about whether to hire a given candidate than the team manager. Not always, but generally.

You don't need to use it, but not having one is a pretty big red flag for many companies.

They don't want to hire someone who's a shutin and won't get along with anyone else in the workforce, you're giving the wrong impression by not having one.

Don't feel bad, OP. I'm not narcissistic and shallow enough to think the whole world gives a flying fuck about what I had for lunch or how fabulous I look in my latest selfie either.

I, too, am stuck in the "you don't put your info on the internet" mindset of the 90s, back when they could make horror movies about someone tracking you down and killing you because they found you on the internet, when scenes could happen where the killer slips the victim's real name into the conversation and it terrifies the victim. (H-how d-d-do you know my n-n-name?)

Maybe if you left your parents basement you wouldn't be so ignorant.

OP wasn't an outlined process, it was a snippit of the overall conversation that happened to pertain to the topic I wanted to discuss

I didn't walk into the interview, talk about social media, and leave, their was more in-between the timeframe

Shitty job hiring thread? OK
>Apply for a job at an international company.
>Job is Cyber security audit.
>Have all the qualifications they need.
>Still working in the old job as my contract have like 1 month remaining.
>Got called for an interview.
>Have a skype interview for about 2 hrs.
>Next day they inform me I passed the technical interview, and the next interview is tomorrow at 9:00AM.
>I was still in my old job, which I was working in the field in a remote area with no coverage at all.
>I apologies about the time and request to change it.
>they never called again
wew lad, glade I didn't got the job, if simple request they can't comply with, it must be one shitty company.

I feel bad for you if you've been working at such shitty companies your entire life.

>Best Buy power supply
I hope you have property and life insurance

HR people/managers who are projecting this hard should change jobs and/or see a therapist. It all sounds as if the NWO was already officially here and Facebook was one of the world government agencies which are compulsory to be signed up with and tracked by. Am I missing something here?

>Because if nothing at all comes up relevant to your name, it tells me you're actually not who you say you are and probably have a laundry list of crimes that you're covering up
Then why not check government ID?

>company requires you to have a social media account
>fire you for accessing and browsing it while at work
GEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Employers think it's a red flag, like you're a serial killer or something.

>no one will hire me because i don't have any social media accounts
>continue collecting unemployment
what on earth are you complaining about?
keep living the dream faggot

>best buy generic PSU
prepare for housefires
they're not diablotek tier, but they're still shit

>tfw already have a career and nobody at work gives a shit about social media

>ma'am

They didn't hire you because you're a fedora tipping loser.

It's amazing how lazy and dumb people on Sup Forums will make up excuses for their lack of a job
>I don't have a Facebook account, they think I'm a serial killer!
>I'm white, they're obviously looking for diversity hires!
>what? My GPA in college? Where did I do my internships? How to write a FizzBuzz? That's none of their business!

>24" curved monitor
the fuck is the point of that

De facto requirement, it's not on the books but they'll still be cunts about it for reasons other anons mentioned.

p. much
>Get hired and fake it till you are off probationary period
>Be weird recluse when they are stuck with you.

I got this bro
cords wouldn't reach, so I made them.

Do they still talk endlessly about TV shows and games? Still waiting to find that secret bizzaro cubbyhole where people talk about topics around their career field

I'm not a lazy nigger tbqvhwyatematbitmctiwlyk (to be quite very honest with you at this exact moment and time but if the mood changes i'll let you kno)

You're not fooling anyone, i've seen these pictures before

The second interview was surely to be done by HR, and they unfortunately tend to think rather higly of themselves to the point of believing that a candidate is not in the position to request changes like that. They considered your request an affront and dropped you as a candidate as a result.

>tbqvhwyatematbitmctiwlyk
not funny

Don't really talk about TV shows, just sports and shit about the job. It's pretty much just a bunch of normie guys with families.

⁞ つ: •̀ ⌂ •́ : ⁞-︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

To get unemployment, you actually have to work for like half a year,
-kike york

took it all back, just wanted to test it out and see how shitty doom would run on a 960.

proof I got my head out of my ass.
pic forthcoming

Yea, if they want to hire you then you'd need to show them some documents anyway, provide social security number etc. Since when is fucking Facebook or other "social media" sites an authority (let alone the prime, default one) to verify someone's identity? This is entirely ridiculous.

Besides you can make a fucking fake Facebook account making it totally ineffective even at that wrong fucking purpose.

All medium to large businesses I encountered work like that. I had interviews with HR even in a rather smallish company below 50 employees, and the HR person clearly had the leading role in the hiring process. Maybe some startups which consist of just a bunch of people handle things differently.

I've applied to Microsoft. The interviews were all with technical people. Same with Google. Same with IBM. Same with even fucking Oracle. Maybe if you're applying for some bullshit role like sales they might have a personality test.

>because your privacy settings hide it

They weren't looking for your Facebook because they wanted to check you had one, they were looking for your Facebook to verify you were a normalfag like them. What makes you think they'd hire someone with maxed privacy settings if they were in a position to turn down a candidate simply for not having a Facebook account?

>get job at parallels
>company owners are based in russia
>never even talked to interviewer
>show up for work and start working
>get to make mad dosh off mactards that bought their fruity toy and then realized they need a real OS to do real work

feelsgoodman

Because checking to see if you have a name and a face online is literally what they do outside of OP's shitty made up story.

Sorry for delay. Phone sucks.

>that mousepad

>What makes you think they'd hire someone with maxed privacy settings if they were in a position to turn down a candidate simply for not having a Facebook account?
What makes you think people get turned down for not having a Facebook account?

This is bullshit and it gets reposted every week. Try getting a job. Literally nobody gives a fuck, especially in CS/IT fields where linkedin or github matters way fucking more

>LinkedIn
I'd rather have literally any other social media. They're the scummiest of the lot, fucking spammers.

Roughly 40% of all phone numbers in the UK are ex-directory.

>maybe they're lying about their identity
If that is a concern to you, ask for ID, you bloody idiot.

This is all bullshit from idiots. Facebook tried to hire me, and I don't have a Facebook account. If a social media company doesn't give a shit about being on their own site, why should anyone else you want to work for?

HR are idiots everywhere; that isn't new.

If you don't want to do LinkedIn, then make a simple personal website. Throw up a picture of yourself, a portfolio/resume, and a contact e-mail address.

>Reasons why HR is a joke and a plague to the working world.

You at least need linkedin.

OP stop being a sperg. The idiot used the lack of social media as an excuse. There had to be something else in the interview that stood out as a red flag to the interviewer.