ITT we post underrated tech

ITT we post underrated tech

Netbooks
>portable, small and light
>great performance for average computer uses like web browsing, multinedia, and office.
>great battery life
>low cost

I used a netbook for a while.
Then I realized it combines the form factor of a laptop with the power of a phone.

phones don't have keyboards nor 8gb of RAM, and they don't have SSDs either, and a screen with an usable size for any sort of prolonged work...

i'm using this right now

it's good yeah, I just made a thread about it but autists call me baiters

it's a tablet, not a netbook.
also why buy netbooks when sub-notebook-type thinkpads exist

>8GB RAM
you mean 1GB (or 2GB if you're lucky) on your pic related?
kek

My fucking laptop doesn't have 8gb of RAM or an SSD.

>claiming phones don't have SSDs
i seriously hope you guys don't do this

He's not op. I am.

Even with only 2gb Ram these little buggers run great. Mine handles ~15 tabs before I notice any lag when browsing.

Also I love that this charges with micro USB.

>inb4 64gb

Thanks csg!

>flash storage and ssds are the same thing

>SSDs aren't flash storage

Refurbished business class laptops
Cost as much as netbooks, but aren't cheap disposable shit.

They're both good in their own way.

>portable, small and light
>great performance for average to high performance computer uses like web browsing, multinedia, office, virtualization, gaming, and development.
>great battery life
>great screen
>greatest chassis, trackpad, and customer service
>low lifetime cost

Netbooks usually have tablet tier hardware and thus are lighter and with better battery life, if the processing power is good enough for what you want that's great.
On the other hand I could stick a quad core i7, 16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L, a 100Wh battery and even two SSDs in RAID 0 in my 12.5" Elitebook.

are you going to say they both have the same performance?

Are you going to say all SSDs have the same performance?

Cheap glossy or painted plastic isn't the only alternative to aluminium.
Aluminium is soft and scratches very easily, not to mention bend which has been a problem in some MacBooks, it can also react with human sweat and turn nasty and corrode.

No, but they have at least 5x better performance than flash storage in phones.

I'd pay extra for a phone with a 12" screen, x86cpu and a keyboard.

Why aren't datasims a standard thing in laptops/notebooks yet?!
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Fucking 4g DONGLES fuck them

Like in iPhone?

Exactly.

I chose the "netbook" because my priority was portability and battery life.
Performance is much MUCH better than that wxp atom aspire I used to have in HS. They're like core 2 duos now iirc, which is amazing for such a small power consumption

My z3775 has the 62% the performance of my i7 2620m in throttlestop bench.

That's pretty decent.

Had a netbook for a while (like 2 years), it was nice for simple stuff like browsing and documents. But the screen resolution was crap.
But netbooks are dead now, chromebooks are a replacement. Also the X series of thinkpads are pretty much the same thing, and have a "real" processor.

Sure 15 x about:config must be smooth, pham

BT tethering? Works very well for me.

If you replace your Windows by GNU/Linux with LXDE, you will be able to do more with it. It's impressive how Windows can drain your CPU to produce useless and inefficient windows graphics. LXDE strips all of this.

I have 8GB Corsair RAM on my netbook. Why don't you have too?

Netbook keyboards are way too small for comfortable usage.

>netbooks
>good

Pick one.

These. Litterally everyone had one and they're cheap seedboxes. Can pick up for $20 and flip for $50

Also best Sup Forums browsing machine. Btw, if you love nostalgia from "teh good old dayz", this machine is for (You)

>dude brutal lmao
>as a wallpaper
>not hiding your power_level()
Shiggy Diggy Do.

Open it and replace memory and HDD.

Yeah but the power supplies are starting to fail.

Yeah i had that problem on my old optiplex. Sad really.

>chromebooks
>Google
>NSA

You can install gnu/linux on them

Someone talk me out of buying a MSI U100, I already have a SP2 but want something old to mess with and use loonecks.

I'd rather get a small form factor with an i3-2130 or i3-3220.

Time ago my missus bought me one of these for christmas, slow as fuck buts its cute.

I still have it with linux mint installed, needs a new battery but I don't have a proper use for it.

this is so damn CUTE, how much did you paid?

I honestly have a problem buying these things lol. My local thrift always gets these in for 5$ a pop. WHY CAN'T I HOLD ALL THESE DELLS

All SSD are flash storage

Not all flash storages are SSD

small mechanical keyboards

numpad doesn't get in the away of your mouse, and the layout is more compact so you can reach everything quickly without having to move your hands much, and it still has the dedicated keys you need like arrow keys and pgup/pgdn

Not him, but 1 GB of RAM (or even 512 MB if you don't want to be able to run any other programs at the same time) is plenty for having a good amount of tabs open without paging if you actually care about blocking whatever JS you aren't using (I've been doing it for years on my desktop, so it isn't any extra work to do it on my netbook). If you are using websites entirely without JS, having 15+ tabs open on a device with 64 MB of RAM is completely possible without paging.

I love netbooks and UMPCs. Too bad tablets killed all this glorious technology

>phones don't have keyboards
Maybe yours doesn't.

iPhones for example have NVMe SSDs. I'm sure they're not the only ones.

I use a Chromebook at home for browsing and a Chromebox at the office. They're super nifty and cheap.

Is there a version like this but with numpad? I have a CM quickfire tk because I still need numpad functionality but it would be nice to have both in a more compact package than full.

if you mean something like pic related it seems very uncommon and hard to get

an alternative would be to have a 75% or 60% keyboard with a separate numpad which you could position to the right of your mouse or somewhere else like behind the keyboard or to the left of it

Yes that is what I am looking for. It would be ideal due to space constraints but I will probably get the separate numpad I guess.

Too bad graphing calculators still haven't gone down in price. They're nice to have around.

with crouton, I'm guessing?

Have you tried using a netbook? Windows only uses 550mb ram.

That's less than Ubuntu.

Aluminium does not corrode you uneducated peasant

>My fucking laptop doesn't have 8gb of RAM or an SSD.

Then you fucked up in life, turn back and try again.

>throttlestop bench
How valid is this benchmark? This is interesting if it's that close to a 35w Sandy bridge i7

Best lightweight netbook/Chromebook out now? My last one has given out on me. Ideally 13 or 14" and something I can throw a Linux distro on without too much fuss.

I'm waiting for the Lenovo 100s to get a successor with 4GB of RAM and a better processor.