Ubuntu Error Message troubleshooting

My grandma can't figure out what's wrong with her computer. It's not actually causing a lot of problems so far as I can tell, but it is giving this error message. She uses Ubuntu on my suggestion ever since she got e-swindled a few years back.

This error message pops up whenever you log in, and whenever you try and do something basic like install something through the GUI. It will still install, but you get that error message right before it starts.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/PpwCH83g
youtube.com/watch?v=Cl9koLRsxeE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
Post what it returns, usually it tells you the problem and it's solution.

I've had this on ubuntu before, for me these messages don't go away unless you reinstall ubuntu. I'd try the other suggestions first though, maybe they will work

>reinstall ubuntu
fugg. :(
Fortunately she doesn't have too many files, but last time I installed Calculate-Linux on a laptop the harddrive fucking corrupted. I'm afraid to re-install Ubuntu. Even if her files are easy as pie to back-up.
:|

Do
And post results

something to do with apt-get iirc. It happens to me too. Probably going to go back to 15.10.

this was happening to me all the time, plus the hard drive would randomly be mounted read only (like it would if the disk was failing but it's actually fine as far as I can tell) so I had to switch to Arch

No problems so far

pastebin.com/PpwCH83g

LOL what the fuck, these kids replying to you on here are retarded as fuck.
>open terminal
>cd /var/crash/
>rm -f
>profit??

ayo we finna smokeis bluntu riteer ha

Hahaha its the same as
>something happened

But when it's Linux, it's totally normal because if you don't like it, fork it1!!11!!!! and freedomzzz! freedom from games, freedom from Office, freedom from the Adobe suite, freedom from video editors, freedom from Cad.. freedom from work and the capitalist chauvist system!!!1

btw plz donate to my 8bit 3-level indie game (gnu/linux only. sorry windowze users and macfags aka elitist hipsters). ive been working on it since i graduated from high school 5 years ago using only truly LIBRE tools (fuck bsd)

>something happened
>requires restart after update

It's okay when Linux does it!

>pastebin.com/PpwCH83g
trusty is old as dirt. go download a fresh 16.04 iso and install for granny.

had the same problem and
sudo rm /var/crash/*
was a solution

Don't be so facetious.
Only a kernel change needs a restart and even that can be bypassed.
It usually really only needs a service restart/relogin.

OP, check the logs for what the error is about. If it's something harmless or you don't want to see this again,

sudo apt-get remove apport

apport is the package for these error reports.

>OP, check the logs for what the error is about.
Sorry, I'm a bit of a newfag. Where are the logs? /var/log/ What do I look for there?

I had those fucking random errors on ubuntu all the time, migrated to Antergos and it just werks.

These error messages happen all the time with Ubuntu. She likely doesn't need a rolling release distro so Debian stable would likely be a good choice.

I know reinstalling is basically a non-solution but it's something

It means that you need to install gentoo!

This is the most annoying problem for my old laptop...
Anybody knows how to fix this issue?
youtube.com/watch?v=Cl9koLRsxeE