Is networking easier than programming?

Is networking easier than programming?

Other urls found in this thread:

intronetworks.cs.luc.edu/current/html/
youtu.be/nm69G0IYHsM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

(You)

It is now a programming degree in 2016. I assume this is why you're asking.

Networking is easy.

Programming is complex but more rewarding.

no

yes but it's for low test fags

On top of having no idea why something doesn't work, you also have to interact with physical things in the real world.

>Posting my waifu
Michelle, run far from this faggot

If by networking you mean configuring your local wlan router then yes. If you have to find an error in 3kms of inhouse cabling with 120 clients attached then yes that can be quite tricky.

Everything is easier than programming

Not for God.

Networking = like being a nurse at a clinic.
Programming = like being a doctor at a hospital.

>all these tech-illiterate fags saying networking is easy because they think it boils down to connecting cables and setting up a password for their wireless routers

kek no

Networking is pretty hard.

Read up on it: intronetworks.cs.luc.edu/current/html/

No.
We're saying it's easy relative to being a seasoned programmer.

Literally any Indian can be a programmer. That's why programmers can't find jobs anymore, there's literally a billion Indians and another billion of Chinks competing with you.

>Networking = like being a nurse at a clinic.
>Programming = like being a doctor at a hospital.

it's more like,

networking = like being a paramedic
programming = like being a doctor

both hate each others guts and won't respect the skills that either field takes because they view their field as better

I do network programming for a living.

What. Networking is fucking black magic m8, even if you think you understand it, it's still possible to suprise you.

I just started studies in information technology and you have to study a bit of both.

But you can choose which you want to focus more on. I was thinking about concentrating more on programming. Is this a good idea or should I study both equally?

Study both equally and end up doing

As a programmer, I'd say no. But its really one of those "to each their own" things.

It depends on what you're tasked to do, both can be extremely easy or extremely hard

what he said
depends on the scale of what you have to work with
where I work just comming up with a basic structure for a network can take well weeks, months or years... yes definitely depends on the scale

Depends on the level
Programming is harder from beginner to intermediate levels, but advanced levels is really just experience and remembering what you did last time.
Networking is dirt easy, but the upper level guys with network design and all the weird fucking shit that you have to piece together at the higher level is a constantly moving shit pile that requires talent and concentration. Also, you have 10000s of people watching while you try not to fuck up. At worst programmers have 10s of people watching over a webex while the group debugs their code.

>3km
Not a lot of cabling, also

>I dont know what a time domain reflectometer is

Any SJW womyn, fresh out of college, can become a programmer. It's an easy field to get into. Networking is very certification oriented, and it becomes harder for people to into because it is knowing protocols is not subjective like being a good programmer. There are a lot more women in high-level programming positions than there are in networking positions because you actually need to know things. There are only a handful of female CCIEs.

>networking is easy

>programming is harder
Learning how to create loops for tasks that require repetition is not that hard. Once you know how to do the core programming concepts, you can do them in all languages once you learn the syntax.

>networking is dirt easy
What is easy about it? Is BGP easy? I don't think it's a stretch to say that more knowledge is required of a network engineer than a programmer. You can't solve problems in your own unique snowflake way in networking the way you do in programming. You either know exactly how something works, or you get fired.

Networking and Programming are literally 2 completely different jobs. You could argue there's more money in software development but it's not harder. Network Architects who work for big tech companies make a stupid amount of money.

>networ architects
even you average network engineer is pulling 80-100k

Networking is a lot like Programming.

In fact you will need some programming knowledge to be a good network guy.

That said, read up on your protocols and read up those TCP/IP RFCs

Yeah, I have a friend with no degrees making six figures with a CCNP and a few years experience. The amount of stress these guys have to deal with is insane. I can't even imagine being responsible for if literally everyone in the company is able to work or not because the network went down and you have to figure out why.

+1

High level networking is hard. I bet most of you doesn`t even know the iso/osi layer and what they mean

>intronetworks.cs.luc.edu/current/html/
What are some job titles of entry level tech jobs for networks is there a job title like assistant to the network/system administrator,i have no qualifications or schooling just need an entry level job for experience since i am starting school in January, and is there a specific site i should be using for tech jobs? I am just looking for overnight comfy zombie job.

Don't you mean low level?

just imagine having to do that work not 'for' a company but for the internet if you know what I mean
... that's fun

Because the average Sup Forums user is a "cs major in college looking for a laptop that can play games. is this a good laptop? Pls respond"

New rule: if you don't know what Ruckus or Mikrotik are, then you can't reply to this thread.

I've implemented a new feature to TCP and got it ack'ed by the net-next guys, currently under review and I guess it will get included in the kernel pretty soon.

>comfy zombie job

Don't go into networking.
As soon as something goes wrong everyone will shit down your throat.

Network folks make a shit ton more money than programmers because not literally a billion Indians competing with us. Programming is fuck easy, literally any Indian on the streets of Bombay can do it.

Link?

>High level networking is hard.

Wow, so hard..
>what is a Switch
>what is Fast Ethernet
>Learn some archaic stuff like Token-ring for the lulz
>7 OSI layers, half of them is programming anyway

You can find it if you search the mailing lists for "Redundant Data Bundling"

I like working overnights, and when i say comfy zombie job i mean any job. Its a upgrade from retail and dealing with customers asking if this bulb is a daylight bulb. I am just looking for entry level stuff, looking for study guides for the a+ certification, but apart from that i am lost.

Before the Internet came up, what did you use to do to embarrass yourself?

Nothing pointing to pending implementations.

the funny thing is that you don`t actually know what is a switch or what is Ethernet.

*Brrrraaaaap*

I only opened this thread because tits and ass.

Look, only if you are retarded and need probably a week to grasp broadcasting,
throughput vs. latency or subnets-masks, doesn't mean everybody is like that.

Wow, you have TCP/TP and UDP, you have GET and POST..

You can literally make a list of important things and concepts and lern it three days. That doesn't mean I configure my own nginx server or know leran some retarded protocols, but to the ideas are super simple.

Fuck Temple OS

be careful when applying to a 'networking job' at an ISP too
one fucking mistake I tell you, just one little fucking mistake in the wrong place.....
how come I don't connect any of that with high level ?

I don't install them, no.
That what electricians like you are for.

There's a difference between programming and software engineering though. Anyone can be a programmer to a certain extent. The big money is in software engineering and if you're good at what you do, there's no limit to how much money you can make.

It is already implemented and it is acked, which means that it meets code quality requirements.

This is bait if I've ever seen one.

>how come I don't connect any of that with high level?

OK, then additional two weeks for your mysterious "high level" networking..

Are apples more difficult than oranges?

yes

>three days
Yeah, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. How do you even define learning something? Knowing the basics? You can't learn a protocol in three days anymore than you can learn a programming language in three days.

durrr I copy and paste from stackexchange and cannibalize the sample code that comes with my libraries i'm a big boy look out stupid network techs

No, I think he really is retarded.

Uhm.. yeah, it's OK.

I guess most network guys need.. ..uhm.. a few months to understand TCP/IP.

>laughing_sluts.jpg

>hur dur I wrote a program that prints odd numbers up to 100
>god tier programmer coming through

That's Sup Forums fizzbuzzers in a nutshell though.

>and won't respect the skills that either field takes because they view their field as better
Everyone knows a doctors is better.

I thought this meme died

This thread in a nutshell:

youtu.be/nm69G0IYHsM

Any of you guys in the networking field use Linux at work? As someone who is trying to get entry-level work, I imagine I'll be SSHing on Windows for a while. Or do most employers not care?

Join the SDN mustardrace and get best of both worlds

Topkek

This.

No shit but that analogy doesn't make sense in this situation.

I imagine my employer woulnd't care too much... would be happy about some experience of course
in my case you would first have to be walked through everything for a week anyways... at least
before we let you think about touching anything
and I think the only windows net we have running is the guys who take care of the people in the bureaus
we got some old terminals running but... no windows

we use a mixture at our place
>physical windows workstations
>log into windows VM's
>hosted on Linux servers
>ssh'ing into headless Linux servers
>from there ssh into the actual network devices
there's like 5 to 10 layers of authentication before we are able to reach anything.

This shit right here

>programmers can't find jobs anymore
kek, maybe the unqualified kind, but anyone worth anything can get a job in the bay area paying 6 figures entry level

>120 clients
so your work for some kind of micro business with virtually no end users? must be nice.

i work for a major enterprise and our network guys use Putty in Windows (but they are idiots)

>physical windows workstations
>log into windows VM's
why

No

t. a network programmer

>Putty in Windows
Cringe. After Sup Forums, I can only stand to look at Linux terminal emulators. Everything on Window is painful.

Congrats to a job that I could never do because it would drive me mad.

>6 figures entry level
Is this the 90s? In 2016, how many Kumar Punjabis could a Silicon Valley company hire for that much? 2 or 3 maybe? Don't forget all the kids with their shiny new CS degrees that will work for $15/hr. You're kidding yourself if you think six figures entry level is real.

>Any SJW womyn, fresh out of college, can become a programmer.

So you might explain the difference between P and NP? What is an finite state machine? Turing completeness?

What is simulated annealing? The complexity, pros and cons of serveral sorting algorithms? How many differnt trees do you know?

And let's not get started with graphical stuff, artificial intelligence, and robotics..

As a programmer and networking engineer, none of it fucking matters. They both have their setbacks but theyre equally hard in their own respects.

Yes, networking sometimes requires a high degree of understanding of the underlying concepts.

Yes, anyone can get a CCNA.
No, not everyone can get a CCIE.

Yes programming requires skill and patience, you can't just arbitrarily write some code and expect a company to be happy with it. It has to make sense and be maintainable.

Yes anyone can learn programming.
No, not everyone can become a software developer.

But seriously, quit comparing Harambe to Caitlyn Jenner.

>difference between P and NP

>yfw both are the same

ITT: Illiterate CS Retards

I'm an IT Engineer (so I master both programming and networking, along with some other shit) and I can confirm programming is a walk in the park compared to networking. Anyone saying otherwise is prolly some pajeet who finds codecademy lessons hard or a sad NEET that thinks he's a master of computers because he knows assembly.

NETWORKING
IS
A
FUCKING
NIGHTMARE

I'm white, American, and making 120k in my first year. It's real, even if you can't land such a job.

Networking is all knowledge based. I already know the beginning concepts, and I'm sure I can spend a month and be a master networker, or at least more advanced than 90% of the market. Programming, you can't teach that to anyone. It requires a very logical mind, and the common personality type doesn't lend well to that mindset.

>I'm sure I can spend a month and be a master networker
>Programming, you can't teach that to anyone.

This is the average Sup Forums user, everyone.

FUCK CIA NIGGERS

>120k in my first year
Fake and gay.

You made a couple of mistakes. 1) you think anyone cares about the top tier skill of either of these fields. Everything is so casualized that learning low level concepts, for instance, is not necessary anymore to make something work. That work has already been done for us. 2) You're underestimating how retarded people are being able to understand simple logic.

>hey, how do you program a conditional block that prints a certain text out if a variable is greater than x?
>why does the text have to print out anything because of the variable? Why can't it just be printed no matter if the variable is greater or less? Why is it biased?

I'm not fucking kidding, this was an actual response in a programming class

Nice triple dubs, but the fact that only whites can land such jobs is a testament to the systemic racism sadly still so pervasive in our country.

As trollish as this post is, it's funny as a non white guy making white programmers in high jobs bulge their eyes when I explain to them concepts they thought I didn't know.

you mean like meeting new people?

fuck no, programming is easier

>they thought I didn't know.
So, the mindset of the average non-white person is this self-imposed, presumed inferiority and the desire to overcome a non-existent stereotyping? You assume that these men think of you as inferior to them, and that is a fault of yours. You're probably one of these people who thinks "diversity" should be a requirement in all offices.