she spends 2000$ for a gaming pc

> she spends 2000$ for a gaming pc
> she conmects her keyboard to the USB port

Other urls found in this thread:

images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2014/11/asus-maximus-vii-impact-review/maximus-vii-impact-12x-1280x1024.jpg
images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2015/10/asus-maximus-viii-impact-review/maximus-viii-impact-9x-1280x1024.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=cLWUTOrifXk
youtube.com/watch?v=sbPWitSTe2k
avernus.com/~gadams/hardware/keyboard/choc-mini-analysis.html
displaylag.com/display-database/
link.springer.com/article/10.3758/BF03195452
wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories/usb-to-ps-2-keyboard-adapter.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_buffering#Double_buffering_in_computer_graphics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_buffering#Triple_buffering
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>she

really makes you think

>she

a lot of mech keyboards only have usb connections, complete with n key rollover, not sure why i bother to rep
>she

Wtf i hate her now

>she
who?

Wtf I hate USB now

So?
I only play grown-up games such as Europa Universalis. USB is just fine for that.

Inb4 the retard who claims ps/2 is better thab usb

It is though.

$2000*
Tard

>she

?

But you're not a female, so OP's words don't apply to you :3

>implying

if you get a passive USB to PS/2 adapter the keyboard will run in PS/2 mode

it technically is, but it really doesn't matter

Have you tried connecting the keyboard to the PS/2 port? Or are you using a rubber dome keyboard?

it does matter, the average usb keyboard has 20ms+ of input latency, and remember that latency is additive, it is never a good thing to add more latency

It matters for activities that require lower response time.

This isn't bizarro Sup Forums

>it does matter, the average usb keyboard has 20ms+ of input latency, and remember that latency is additive, it is never a good thing to add more latency
20ms doesn't matter for turn based strategy.

What is bizarro?

even professional gamers use usb keyboards

Tits or gtfo

>professional gamers

professional gamers are tech illiterate for the most part

> if professional players don't use it, it means that it's useless

Rude

expected the responses, but if that was such an advantage, they would have tried it, there's big money on the line have coaches, they don't have to be the computer experts themselves

but tell me how latency is important for things other than gaming

>implying professional gamers don't use ps/2 keyboards
[citation needed]

>expected the responses, but if that was such an advantage, they would have tried it, there's big money on the line have coaches, they don't have to be the computer experts themselves
The pro gamers you're speaking about aren't fps gamers, then PS/2 might not make a real difference for them.
>but tell me how latency is important for things other than gaming
Ask this question to someone who has to type fast.

it's important for fast typing too or any productive work using the keyboard like programming

>it's important for fast typing too or any productive work using the keyboard like programming
Nonsense. I can type 140 WPM just fine with a USB keyboard and latency certainly isn't what limits me, but dexterity.

latency certainly doesn't help

>tfw blue board

I'm afraid I can't do that user.

It doesn't matter at all if you're typing blind.
Are you saying you need to look at the screen while you type?

what the fuck is this shit of course you look at the screen to catch typos or to see which code you're going to edit etc

>20ms
>1/50 of a second
>Noticeable at all
>Human reaction speed is 8-10 times that
Typing wouldn't be affected by that at all.

Dollars two thousand?
Or
Two thousand dollars?

>typos
Noob.

even with a decent text editor (not hipster memes like atom), the majority of the latency is going to be outside the keyboard

Who really cares ?
If it not singlecore processor with PIC controller there is no difference

you're clueless, it's noticeable as fucking fuck, i'm a programmer and i can artificially introduce latency, you just haven't noticed it for yourself because you only have one point of reference, it's the same deal with vsync, the input lag you get with vsync is extremely noticeable

>majority
it's still a significant contributing factor

It has some technical advantages, but it's perfectly possible for keyboards to poll faster than 50Hz over USB (mine does 200Hz, and 5ms isn't too bad, depending on other factors like driver lag, display lag, etc).

It's also possible to implement N-key rollover over USB by simply presenting as a hub with multiple keyboard devices - that's how the open-source firmware I saw does it, anyway.

See, this part of the thread is Sup Forums. Input lag and rollover are technical things, the former a notable challenge for immersive VR, the latter interesting if you want to make your own keyboards (and at least some of /mkg/ do).

Approximately 2% of players of Europa Universalis IV, statistically, are women. I know one, she tried to get me into them, and I find it very difficult to relate to the menus - Civ is more my speed. could well be a girl.

See, this part of the thread is really more Sup Forums.

>you're clueless, it's noticeable as fucking fuck, i'm a programmer and i can artificially introduce latency, you just haven't noticed it for yourself because you only have one point of reference, it's the same deal with vsync, the input lag you get with vsync is extremely noticeable
I hope your programs aren't as bad as your English grammar.

not an argument

the keyboard has a lot more lag besides the lag you get from the usb polling rate dude, the keyboard doesn't exist in a vacuum

Is this guy for real? That tiny amount of difference in latency is almost completely unnoticeable. No way it would matter for just typing stuff. Do you type 300wpm or something?

> 2%
> statistically
It's pretty low to say the truth.

Input latency is nowhere near as noticeable on a terminal or in a text editor than in something which requires individual fast reactions. Scrolling can make it noticeable, but not generally the kind of cell-based, monospaced scrolling one typically does in a text-editor.

When a touch typist types, they're not looking at the keys (by definition) because their fingers know where they are, but they're also not exactly reading what they're typing either (either way, they are likely to notice if the results are different than expected, but a long time delay is tolerable, even 200ms - see the millions of people who regularly use MS Office).

Generally speaking they're queuing a whole word or two ahead in working set memory. Lag from the brain to the fingers outstrips lag from the keyboard to the PC - and of course, so does lag from the PC to the monitor, or even for the monitor itself to change the pixels depending on the target/destination colours and the type of display.

PS/2 port is a waste of space that is only usable for a number of accessories for minimal performance gain, good fucking riddance

just another way for you to feel as if you are somehow superior

latency is additive, if you have 180ms reacition time it doesn't help to have 20-40ms from the keyboard, 20-40ms from the software and 20-40ms from the gpu and 20-40ms from the monitor on top of that

>PS/2 port is a waste of space
It's the other way round. Most mobo come with keyboard PS/2 port, then connecting the keyboard to it allows you to have am extra USB port for everything else.
that is only usable for a number of accessories for minimal performance gain, good fucking riddance
Not really. PS/2 adds more features to some keyboards. For instance my keyboard has 1000 Hz polling rate, 1ms latency and limitless N-key rollover in PS/2 mode.

images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2014/11/asus-maximus-vii-impact-review/maximus-vii-impact-12x-1280x1024.jpg
images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2015/10/asus-maximus-viii-impact-review/maximus-viii-impact-9x-1280x1024.jpg

it's not a waste of space. removing it is only useful to cut costs.

I wish you hadn't said that, americunt

Why is USB bad?

More latency

youtube.com/watch?v=cLWUTOrifXk

with PS/2 you get hardware interrupts, it's super fast, but with USB it's all done in the software and you're limited by the microcontroller inside the keyboard to deal with scanning the keys and doing USB transfers as well as the software side on the computer

PS/2 might grant additional features to some keyboards, like N-key rollover and higher repeat rate, and it has minor latency

Am I to understand that PS/2 is better than USB? Why?

The second mobo is retarded

ceramic knaifve

youtube.com/watch?v=sbPWitSTe2k

>75hz refresh rate monitor / 4ms
>usb keyboard with 5m cable (default polling rate, don't know what that is)
>i also have a ps/2 keyboard
>vim

I just can't see any delay either way.

good thread! just learned about the ps/2 connector and proceeded by learning about delay times (usb vs ps/2) and n-key rollover (which only works with limited keys on usb keyboards, makes me wanna buy a ps/2 keyboard)

learning stuff on Sup Forums is rare but i'm glad when it happens

> 144 Hz, 1ms monitor
> 1000 Hz, 1ms, PS/2 keyboard with N-key and programmable repeat rate
Get on my level

>uses 75 herz monitor

i dont even care about your opinion because i can't take you seriously, you need to try 144 hz

Most if not all keyboards have USB link nowadays, but some keyboards, like mine, come with passive PS/2 adapter for extra features.

default usb polling rate is 125hz, so 8ms m8
and the devices themselves can up the polling rate, my non gayming mouse does this as I use it (checked with evhz), up to 500hz
>inb4 other things add latency

it's 144hz freesync, but it runs at 75 by default
usb can do 1000hz

monitor: asus vg248qe?
also: which keyboard do you use?

does it make sense to use an active usb to ps/2 adapter when my keyboard doesnt support ps/2?
or would i still usb input delay and no n-key rollover?

PS2 fags

>>Sup Forumseddit

quality shitpost

it's not just the polling rate, see the video in and for example this:
avernus.com/~gadams/hardware/keyboard/choc-mini-analysis.html
>So, the controller is able to scan the entire matrix every 18.5 ms. It seems to take just a hair over 1 ms to complete a scan of a column and move to the next one, so that leaves another 1.5 ms to initiate sending a USB packet containing the pressed key state. Assuming that it doesn’t take too long for the USB message to be sent to the host, that’s around 20 ms latency for key-presses. That’s pretty reasonable.

>20-40 ms from the monitor

>professional gamers
so just NEETs with no real tech or life skills

>she plays twitch games
found the problem

goddamnit is this Sup Forums or something, if it says 2ms grey-to-grey that doesn't tell the whole story, it's just how long it takes the pixel itself to shift color, the input lag itself is usually at least 1 or 2 frames. TVs can be vastly worse for this and they usually have a "game mode" for this specific reason.

I have a friend who streams who I made a chat bot for. He ended up having to make a few edits to the code and did it in wordpad.

The response time still isnt going to be anywhere near to 40 ms on a standard monitor.

>she

lol ok bruh

displaylag.com/display-database/

the absolute best ones have 9-10 ms lag and the average monitor has more lag

>monitor: asus vg248qe?
Yes
>also: which keyboard do you use?
Cooler Master QuickFire XT Blue switches

I bet the PS/2 fags also believe in audiophile cables. Makes you hear sounds faster.

it's objectively measurable

If your keyboard doesn't have additional features on PS/2 it probably doesn't matter which connector you're using. Don't forget that we're always talking about mechanical keyboards.

no don't worry about it

but with a keyboard that's compatible with passive adapters and if you have ps/2 on your motherboard then you could get one of these

wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories/usb-to-ps-2-keyboard-adapter.html

Explain the pic, please

I like all these numbers you pull out of your ass. If your total input lag is between 80-160 ms you must have purchased the cheapest, shittiest components you could find.

Now I want to hook pool noodles up to my speakers...

lol ok

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_buffering#Double_buffering_in_computer_graphics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_buffering#Triple_buffering

>mfw we have a russian qt playing WOT in our clan that uses a mechanical keyboard and is actually good

Try ask her if she uses a PS/2 connector

Sure, I'm not really into mech keyboard but she always mentions about that "key rollover".

Yep. It's a great feature.

If you're talking about competitive games, you'd have to be a dumbass to use something like vsync or triple buffering. If you're talking about typing in a text editor, even if input lag was noticeable, and that's a big if, it would never be enough of an issue to affect typing ability. Unless you had a serious issue with your system that is.

that's not exclusive to PS/2