What's wrong with skylake?

What's wrong with skylake?
Just curious, my old i5-750 finally died, well the mobo did and I need to get a new comp. Is skylake a meme or is there something else better to get?

Nothing. People just hate change.

It's a laptop CPU
no real power gains
just savings

Only issues i heard about was about linux. IGP has issues i think like drivers and power management as a whole is funky atm.

i had serious graphics drivers issues. but its fixed as of Ubuntu 15.04

So you reckon maybe haswell e then?

Get amd zen for next gen performance

Nothing is wrong with it, it's been out a year and it works fine. If you're buying new RAM anyway you might as well go DDR4.
People are just pissy because Intel promised massive performance increases and failed to deliver yet again.
Only potential issue is if you want to run Windows 7 or 8, where MS have suggested they will remove support for Skylake CPUs at some point.

Expensive mobos for LGA 1151. Also I've noticed that Skylake CPUs seem to have like 10C less maximum heat safe levels, why is that? Do they heat up less or just need much better cooling?

>5820k costs nearly the same as a 6700k
>average OC is 4.2-4.4GHZ
>6700k is 5% better than the 4790k

Somehow 6700k still performs better

5820k: 12982 passmarks
6700k: 10993 passmarks

Memelake

Do you play passmark?

>5820k has 6 haswell cores which are practically the same as the 4790k's cores
>the 5820k should have the same if not better single core performance when OC'd to 4.2-4.4ghz considering the 6700k can barely beat the 4790k when both are at stock
>buyer's remorse

Also
>m-muh unoptimized gaymes
>computers are only toys

The 6700K is around 8~12% better clock per clock compared to Haswell. Even more so when paired with high-speed DDR4 Memory.

And yes, lots of people use the computer for entertainment (including games).
And the 6700k is the best option we have right now for that.

Any problem with that famalam?

I just can't buy a mobo that isn't all black, man. It's just what I want.

How badly will I fuck up by buying this piece of trash?

That does not take into account OC

>It had marginal power gains but still sold as pricey as an innovative cpu

>Press is bitching about non existent benefits nonstop, if you don't have a memelake you are out

>Still 4 cores tops in 2016

But it is actually a solid processor I got myself the pentium skylake and it has superb per core performance

Also it is compatible with ddr 4 wich is faster and cost less than ddr3

Build quality is mediocre at best, they improved the thermal compound under the HFS but started the bendgate

I would not reccommend a top of the line one, gust get an i3 or the cheapest i5 for you gaming needs

all intel cpu's have stayed to the same pricing structure for years

bendgate is non-existant

>the 5820k should have the same if not better single core performance when OC'd to 4.2-4.4ghz

You are comparing OC 5820k with stock 6700k.
The 6700k runs up to 4.7 at a decent mobo, and if you win the silicon lotter they go over 5ghz and offer 25% more single thread performance.
The only comparable cpu would be 6850k. 5820k is garbage.

Skylake is fine, but it doesn't really have much of a performance advantage over Haswell.

You will fuck up immensely.

1.The shroud won't allow you a decent air cooler and will interfere with top radiator placement
2. The 6 pin mobo power connector sits right above the PSU and is unusable
3. No internal usb 2.0, only 1 usb 3.0. So no smart AIO for you.
4. Only 6 power phases, so no good OC for you.
5. AC95 audio, kek.

you want skylake it's the last one you can install Win7 on

>Tfw VGA passthrough
>Can take windows 7 wherever, whenever, for however long I like

thanks for telling me I'm a god damn moron. Fuck, though, the aesthetics.

Time to bite the bullet and get something with PURPLE GAMER DRAGONS on it or some such shit.

Get the asus TUF

Forgot pic

But will it stop a .308?

this.

there is also the matter of hard DDR4 limit the 6700k is limited by 32GB but with help from over priced top of the line mobo's you can't get 64GB the problem is the 6700k can't read it all

lol.
also LGA standard pins rising up towards the cpu was a dumb idea they bend so easy that socket cover i had on mine fucked up my pins

also the mobo's are badly designed with mostly onbly 1 M.2 and it doesn't work when you have 2 video cards in sli or crossfire.

the X99 while over the top pricey has higher RAM limit and better M.2 support.

But too be honest they are okay just don't open the socket up and take the socket lid off untill you have to put in the cpu to prevent pin damage.
Most Z170's have a hard limit on iGPU Vram its 512mb

>missing commas
>drumer

Filtered
Thanks for using a trip!