GLOSSY or MATTE, Sup Forums?

Well, which do you prefer and why?

Personally, I can't stand matte because it's fuzzy as shit. Glossy is so much sharper.

I personally hate glossy displays, but they're impossible to avoid at this point so I deal with it. I use a 10 year old Apple Cinema Display on my desktop primarily because it's 1200P, 16:10, and matte. Kicks ass, even if it generates the heat of a small space heater.

Both are pretty great.

Glossy a shit because of reflection, kind of negates the advantage of clarity.

The Apple MacBook Pro Retina coating is semi glossy, so it hardly reflects, but is still incredibly clear.

i like matte more but not enough to grind my teeth over it like some people on Sup Forums. generally i think i agree with

>personally hate glossy displays,
why? color reproduction of glossy displays is 10x better.

well in my old piece of shit laptop i literally cannot even sit near a window in my school library because I can't fucking see shit because of all the sun

my next laptop's going to be some chinknovo with a matte display so we'll see how that goes

>Glossy a shit because of reflection, kind of negates the advantage of clarity.

Given how I do most of my computing out of a dark place, I don't see how reflection is a problem.

not him, but color reproduction isn't necessarily the driving goal for everyone. for me it's nice, but not at the cost of activating my OCD senses and making me want to clean my screen whenever i see it in skewed light.

good story. works for you, not for everyone else.

i like matte more because i don't have to suffer seeing my ugly face reflected in the screen

nailed it. I simply don't care about color reproduction. I'd rather not deal with fingerprints and glare all the damn time. That, and I just use my Mac for audio production and shitposting, all I need is real estate and something I can stare at for hours. pic related, but not my pic.

>macfag

opinion discarded

the problem is that people say stuff like thinking that this is authoritative rather than anecdotal. it illustrates that there are people whose use cases make a glossy display's shortcomings non-issues. that's fantastic. there's no technology in the world that comes without any trade-offs whatsoever, and we're experiencing that with displays; the only difference is that there are relatively compelling reasons on both sides of this "debate".

i recognize that glossy works for some people, and that matte works for others, and that other still don't give any fucks either way. none of those groups is wrong, per se. they just have different needs.

and then there are retards like

I love glossy on my desktop monitors, although Dell ultrasharp FPs are damn good. But I love a good matte laptop, with a high nit output for outdoor usability.

Well in my home office for my Gaming PC where I can control the environment, 100% glossy for how good it looks.

However, for my work laptop where I don't control the environment, have to deal with fingerprints from adjusting the screen, and where I need to work on the go, I prefer matte due to reflections and such.

>Eizo and NEC don't know shit about color reproduction, because they make their high end, wide gamut, hardware calibrated, $2K+ a piece monitors exclusively in matte.

Clear.

Sorry dude, I'm pretty happy with the 2006 Mac Pro that I pulled out of recycling along with a matching Cinema Display. I'm 27 and have my high school dream rig and it still does everything I need it to. I make a pretty decent living supporting Macs, so yeah, I'm absolutely a Macfag. Also, audio production on anything other than OS X is a joke.

Couldn't agree more. I have a glossy laptop and it's not like I don't use it because of the screen. It's a screen, I see things on it, I prefer one more than the other, but they're all screens.

I really like glossy because it seems to have more true colors that come through. Glossy laptop/tablet displays are bad, but at least they make matte screen protectors for them.

Oh they know, they just cater to the "desires" of dipshits that want matte.

Glossy for stuff I can move, matte for stuff I cannot.

This pretty much nails it.

>Still functional 2006 cinema display
liar.

Oh yeah? Sorry for the shitty pic, I need to take a new 'battlestation' pic when my desk is clean. What's better is that I saved two of them from recycling when I left my last job, my girlfriend uses the other for her MacBook. I also grabbed 5 power supplies because they go for a small fortune on eBay.

It actually might be a 2007, desu, but you get the idea.

Glossy is the best at night. Pain in the ass in sunlight though.

>activating my OCD senses and making me want to clean my screen whenever i see it in skewed light.
huh? I've had glossy displays for 10+ years and my eyes NEVER notice a reflection. They just "see through it" if it's there. It's hard to explain but it's seriously a non-issue. Especially if you don't have lights pointed at your screen.

I have a lamp that's pointed at my ceiling and there's no direct light falling onto my glossy screen and there's zero reflection that my eyes can see.

If you have strong ceiling lights, it might be an issue but then again, you can fucking move 10 inches in one direction and there won't be any more glare.

Glossy displays are just so much superior when it comes to vibrancy of color and sharpness of the text.

Go to BestBuy and just look at those giant iMacs that they have there... they have gorgeous screens and the text one them is sharper than any other screen in the store. I know, I worked last summer at BestBuy for 4 months and have checked out every screen they had on the display floor.

Oh, and every time I approached a customer who was looking at that giant glossy screen, they commented how nice the screen is.

PS: No, I don't own an iMac (can't afford one + I'm a gaymer) but my glossy 22" Asus is pretty OK.

>Pain in the ass in sunlight though.
there are these things called drapes, blinds and curtains... problem solved.

Of course its going to be fuzzy if you used a matte sticker on a glossy Mac screen. Go look at one of the old 17" MacBook Pros that had real matte screens.

Unless you absolutely need to use your laptop outdoors, Matte is always better.

and who the fuck needs to use their laptop outdoors? construction engineers & shit?

99.999% of people don't need to use their laptop in the sun.

In dark, even a weak ceiling light will glare bad.

Backlighting from keyboard will reflect off you, then screen.

Screen needs to be really bright for glossy. Matte is washed out.

Doesn't really matter which you get, unless you computer outside.

>not one of the ADC ones with a converter
I would be using my giant af CRT studio display still if the screen wasnt scratched to hell

Despite all the bullshit, I can use my T420 outside on my deck.

Matte or kys

Oops. I meant to say glossy.

I can use my glossy HP laptop on my deck too, it's called not being in direct sunlight.

>In dark, even a weak ceiling light will glare bad.

>Backlighting from keyboard will reflect off you, then screen.

stfu, retard. LED backlight is so fucking strong that you can't see any glare. in 99% of the daily (or nightly situations).

Glossy. Waiting on Dell to make a glossy 27" IPS 1440p monitor.

Oh believe me, I tried. Had access to several in this mythical recycle bin, but the refresh rate / blur on the ADC monitors is unbelieably fucking bad. Also they got locked out by OS X (even with one of those unicorn ADC to DVI converters), the brightness defaults to low and you can't change it past like 10.8 without modifying plists. Cool, but unusable. The DVI Cinema Displays are still amazing; my friend has one of the 30" ones and it's god-tier.

Yeah, i would have them, but apple tax. I guess my Dell e228wfps are good enough for 1/4th the price.

I feel that, I got lucky with my rig. I'm biding my time until this thing dies and I'll probably get a dell monitor myself.

what's a good, cheap, under $200, glossy, 22" IPS monitor?

Glossy because I don't sit in the sun. However, I don't really care. I do care whether my laptop screen is IPS.

Easy. Glossy for desktop monitor, and matte for laptop display or anything portable.

i wanted glossy samsung hdtv but i could not afford it

Wish I could get a glossy screen in my thinkpad. I know its heretical but I like them and I don't go outside.

A bit of both.
When it's dark, glossy, when it's bright matte.

Best colors are always seen on glossy since matte have a thin layer that is similar to a whole screen water stain.

Semi Gloss is good too.
I have it on my Asus monitor, it looks matte, but it doesn't have that annoying sparkling effect that regular matte displays have.

Apple also did alright on reducing glare on a glossy display, they use the same type of coating as Anti-glare eye glasses, too bad they cheaped out on the binding process and the result is Staingate.