/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.debian.org/search?suite=jessie&arch=arm&searchon=names&keywords=apache
packages.debian.org/search?suite=jessie&arch=arm&searchon=names&keywords=php
packages.debian.org/search?suite=jessie§ion=all&arch=arm&searchon=names&keywords=mysql
techumber.com/2012/11/Simple-Chat-Engine-Using-HTML5-Server-Sent-Events-And-PHP.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=Beginners_Guide
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>copying from last thread

Anyone have recent experience with Fedora?
How buggy is it? How complete are the repos compaired to Debian? Is it easy to install non-free software? How good is the package manager?

Used korora for a bit. Honestly Fedora and Arch stability are both less than you expect. Fedora comes with additional freetard autism

If i buy raspberry pi 3 and put a linux on it, will all repos be available on it? like can it do apt-get for anything that i could do on a desktop computer, or will i be limited only to a tiny selection of applications because they have to have an arm version too?

You need to install a distro that supports ARM architecture.
Debian is probably your best bet.
You can then use all of that distro's software for ARM.

I know the distro must be ARM, but do the application must be arm as well?
For example let's say i can do apt-get install poop
on ordinary NONarm debian, can i do apt-get install poop on the PI as well? or will that only work if the poop developer specifically made poop for ARM as well?

The package needs to be available for ARM, yes.
On Debian, you'll still have a huge selection, since their main goal is to be the Universal Operating System, so porting stuff to all architectures is a high priority.

do you mean the window decoration or the LXQt themes for the panels?

I see. I basically want to make a web server, so i need to make sure that apache, php and mysql are available for the debian arm

>server
Yep. Debian is what you want.

packages.debian.org/search?suite=jessie&arch=arm&searchon=names&keywords=apache
packages.debian.org/search?suite=jessie&arch=arm&searchon=names&keywords=php
packages.debian.org/search?suite=jessie§ion=all&arch=arm&searchon=names&keywords=mysql

Perfect thanks. One more question, i don't want to run any GUI directly on the pi, but i want to be able to connect to the PI from windows via some remote desktop way (so in the windows i can actually interact with the pi via normal GUI)
is that possible?

Running Fedora 24 currently and I'm kinda happy with it, haven't encountered any major problems in roughly 2 months or so.

Having a GUI on your main system that controls the Pi is possible. You need to run a linux system with a GUI on your Windows computer (e.g. from a live CD, or in a virtual machine), connect that to your Pi, then chroot into it.

SSH

Yes. The window decorations and the appearance (of like tabs and buttons and stuff).

The window manager on the pic you posted is not openbox, its KWin. Install it and use kwin --replace. For the GTK styles LXQt currently lacks a menu to customizethe GTK styles I believe. For the Qt styling I am not sure, last version I tested was 0.9

Thanks, will do. The "About LXQt" window is Qt though, it changes when I change my Qt theme.

Yes, I think all of the LXQt applications are Qt, not only About.

Is Bunsenlabs Linux a good distro to get familiar with the Linux environment?

Yeah, my point was that the gtk theme isn't the problem.

Any distribution is good to get familiar with the "Linux environment". Using a shitty, niche distribution which adds a new wallpaper and bugs isn't a good idea.

Where do you idiots find those distributions? Do you search for "obscure distribution for me" on the internet?

Yes, if you want to get to know the original Linux feel, without any of the improvements its user interface got within the past 20 years.

Or if you want to run it on a toaster.

why are there so many [Ubuntu but with a different DE] distros?
apt-get install xfce

there, I made a Distro. Who wants to make the logo?

Because people found it worthwhile to create them.
Canonical found it worthwhile to link to them.
Other people liked them and are using them.

How will we have the year of the linux desktop if it doesn't just werk?

Is there some web-based chat server that can be hosted locally to communicate between people on the same network?
Kinda like LAN IM.
But completely in side the web browser?

So basically no X will be running on pi and instead all of the X cpu load will be handled by the machine connecting to it?

Get out of this thread, you meanie!
Ok.

raspchat maybe?

It literally looks and works like the Blackbox WM, which was written in 1997.

>why are there so many [Ubuntu but with a different DE] distros?
Because they want to see what Xfce feels like before installing Ubuntu Xfce?

>raspchat
Yeah similar.
but I was thinking even more simple.
Basically I'm running HTTP server, just need the web-pages to make html-based chatting.
For things like "Dinners, ready."

Anyone used slimjet?

I just want a lightweight chromium-based browser for the rare times I need flash.

Or should I just use chromium?

Try both, see what you like

I used several distros in the last few years, mostly on my old laptop : mostly Xubuntu, and more recently Manjaro which emancipated me.

To be honest, I know I've never used those OS to their full extent and potential. I know I've been a relentless beginner all the time.

Now I want to challenge myself. I want to level up. I want to be able to do things. I want to be done with the "i'm using it because it's cool to be able to sudo the shit out of my computer every once in a week". I want to become an accomplished Unix learner and user.

So tell me, what distro should I install and why?

I was seriously thinking ArchLinux.

Also, any "learn the hard way" method out there?

>Also, any "learn the hard way" method out there?
Install Arch from the wiki.

I'm trying to host this by running it with python HTTP.server module.
It runs the JS part but the PHP isn't running.
It doesn't create "_chat.txt" and no chat log is recorded.
Any idea?
techumber.com/2012/11/Simple-Chat-Engine-Using-HTML5-Server-Sent-Events-And-PHP.html

Stallman and lincucks BTFO!

You should stay on the one you have and customize it to your needs.

Like Arch? Don't install it. Turn Manjaro into Arch, by pointing it to Arch's repositories and removing all Manjaro-specific stuff.
Or better yet, find a worthwhile project that interests you, and use Linux to work on that, instead of working on Linux.

EBIC XDDDDD

How do I get iwlwifi/iwldvm based card to do 5GHz in AP mode? The AP mode works fine with hostapd at lower 2.4GHz channels, and the card works as a client at 5GHz (iw list lists those with (No IR)), but no dice so far on getting it to work as an AP at those higher channels

dont really like the xfce look and feel
What's your favorite WM or DE? or combination of both?

Most tiling WMs need a shitload of configuration to look and feel good in my experience

looking for something that doesn't feel as clunky.

Fluxbox,its the superior *box
All settings in plaintext.
If you want more flare, use it with compiz

Don't question gods true programmer, he's accomplished more than stallman ever did

Fuck off, this is not your autism acceptance thread

>install ubuntu
>laptop idles at 60 celsius

>install arch
>laptop idles at 45-50 like windows 10

I don't understand why.

>mom wants me to buy her a new notebook
>get her a nice mint thinkpad with debian
>tell her how to launch a browser from the terminal
>she thinks it's too hard and wants me to install windows
fucking causals ;_;

I still don't really understand what a display manager does.

using lightdm by default with debian, but it doesn't appear to support custom sessions. Which one would you guys recommend?

Install Mint and tell her it's windows.

Basically, a display manager, would be the level between your system and your user session.
Basically its a login screen, takes your password input, and if you have multiple DE/WM you can pick one dynamically depending on what you want to do.

fucking put the icon on the systray

>Want to try Antergos in a VM
>They don't offer a 32 bit installer
>The last release with the 32 bit installer is 404'd on their website

U wot m8

32bit is irrelevant since 2000's

So how am I supposed to get it running in Virtualbox if it only detects a 32 bit CPU?

Install void linux you fucking pleb faggots

Git gud and fix your virtualbox setup

newer kernel

Is Chromium a botnet?

Yes.

I started using Seamonkey today. It's literally Icecat with no autism

>grandma tells me her computer is broken
>go over and expect it to be some random shit
>nope, legit broken
>offer to buy a new one for her
>order parts for low spec desktop
>tell her what it costs
>doesn't believe me that it's so cheap
>gives me much more money
>build pc
>install Linux Mint
>set up bookmark for her favorite knitting website
>tell her where to click to open the internet
>after a week, ask if she needs any more help
>nope, just werks
>tells me it looks a bit different than on her old computer, but that must be because it's a new one

Install Sourcemage Linux you fucking casual

How did you explain how she can update packages?

you turn on proper virtualization from the bios

>void
There's no use for void linux. Bloat of Linux distros

Mint pops up a box when there are updates ready.
I put a sticky note on the screen and wrote PASSWORD: HELLO on it in large letters.

>week latter
>grandma calls me and tells me call of duty runs like shit, it rand much better on her old computer
>have to admit to her i heavily cut corners on her computer and made it very low spec so i could pocket the rest of the money because i'm an asshole
>she cries into the phone because that was all of her money and she can't buy a better pc now
>don't care because i'm an asshole
>hang up

you are fucking cancer

Her old PC was a fucking Compaq Presario.

that is no excuse to steal from her

Thanks fambruhghinis, now I just need to figure out how to actually install Antergos

>tell her how to launch a browser from the terminal
wut ? Why not the start menu ?

do you think mr. robot uses a fucking start menu?

the hardway is gentoo or LFS

Same experience as this user. Note on the repos, they are noticeably less complete than debian, but it usually isn't a problem

When you've mastered that, you can try something harder, like tying your own shoes.

Huh, this didn't show up until I ran the non graphical installer

Scratch that, I just had to wait for it to show up. I have a feeling that Linux isn't for me

Why aren't you actually using a Live ISO? ViMs can be buggy

What's the best way to learn how the Linux kernel works?

>wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=Beginners_Guide
>no beginners guide anymore

Books

Read a book.
Then write a driver.

Read the code.

Bad move

I applaud Arch for not catering to retards.
It's still retarded not to include an actual installer.

Because the [Ubuntu but with a different DE] is maintained and configured by a separate team. They have people dedicated to making each flavor of Ubuntu work well with your preferred DE. I've heard really good things about Ubuntu MATE.

On other distros, your preferred DE might not have as much support, and may not be as nice or usable out of the box, because it isn't the primary one that they showcase and focus on.

Is there any difference in performance between 32 bit and 64 bit aside from being able to utilize more RAM?

I just did

Are there any Linux distros that would be good for use with one of those convertible touch screen laptops/tablets?

I recently got one for free (it's an acer iconia w500p), and windows 7 kind of sucks on it since it's sort of low spec'd.

I never imagined it would be clearer and easier to install gentoo than arch. So much for the best documentation.

If linux is so good, why does windows have 90% market share?

The "new" guide is the beginner's guide. Go and compare the latest revision of the beginner's guide to the current guide. It's basically the same.

Why would someone bother with creating a buggy, incomplete abstraction layer which tries to satisfy everyone's needs?

Market share of what?

Because MS uses their dominance to make deals with hardware manufacturers ensuring that they will continue to sell PC's prepackaged with it. And 90% of the market doesn't even know you can change your OS and doesn't care. For them, Windows == the PC. Even if Windows sucks, they don't even realize it. They just think they're not good with computers.

Installed Debian a few days ago, liking it so far but I'm getting some mild crackling when I listen to music. I'm using Foobar installed with Wine. Fooled around with daemon.conf and it went from unlistenable to just some mild occasional crackling.

Here's what my daemon.conf looks like for pulse:

; daemonize = no
; fail = yes
; allow-module-loading = yes
; allow-exit = yes
; use-pid-file = yes
; system-instance = no
; local-server-type = user
; enable-shm = yes
; shm-size-bytes = 0 # setting this 0 will use the system-default, usually 64 MiB
; lock-memory = no
; cpu-limit = no

; high-priority = yes
; nice-level = -11

; realtime-scheduling = yes
; realtime-priority = 5

; exit-idle-time = 20
; scache-idle-time = 20

; dl-search-path = (depends on architecture)

; load-default-script-file = yes
; default-script-file = /etc/pulse/default.pa

; log-target = auto
; log-level = notice
; log-meta = no
; log-time = no
; log-backtrace = 0

# resample-method defaults to speex-float-1 on most architectures,
# speex-fixed-1 on ARM
; resample-method = speex-float-1
; enable-remixing = yes
; enable-lfe-remixing = no

; flat-volumes = yes

; rlimit-fsize = -1
; rlimit-data = -1
; rlimit-stack = -1
; rlimit-core = -1
; rlimit-as = -1
; rlimit-rss = -1
; rlimit-nproc = -1
; rlimit-nofile = 256
; rlimit-memlock = -1
; rlimit-locks = -1
; rlimit-sigpending = -1
; rlimit-msgqueue = -1
; rlimit-nice = 31
; rlimit-rtprio = 9
; rlimit-rttime = 1000000

; default-sample-format = s16le
; default-sample-rate = 48000
; alternate-sample-rate = 48000
; default-sample-channels = 2
; default-channel-map = front-left,front-right

; default-fragments = 4
; default-fragment-size-msec = 5

; enable-deferred-volume = yes
; deferred-volume-safety-margin-usec = 8000
; deferred-volume-extra-delay-usec = 0

Card is a Xonar DG, do I need to change anything here?

No, they removed the beginner guide and redirected it to the main guide, so yeah you could say they are the same.

But window's doesn't suck, even people who know a lot about computers and tried linux went back to windows

PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=100 commandhere

Why should I as a laptop user bother setting up Wifi on the command line to get internet access for the installation, without any documentation (cause that requires internet access), when an automated installer could do it in

>foobar in wine
mfw I have no face