Raspberry Pi Thread!

Raspberry Pi Thread!

Since my Pi was collecting dust for the last 2 Months I decided to turn it into a private git server.

What are you using your raspi for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3dgnD93pwX0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pi hole - dns adblocker server

Thats pretty cool never thought of that

Running RetroPie, it's good to chill out on a couch and have fun for this money.

OP here
I tried that too, but too many games were glitched or just didnt work.

Same. I Velcroed it to the back of a 20 inch tv that I put on a monitor stand.
What systems or games did you try? My friend said some PSX games do weird shit but I mostly only play SNES.

SNES worked fine and Doom too, but I had big troubles with SmashBros and MarioKart (N64). First MarioKart was slow af, after changing the emulator it was normal except the whole UI in the Menus was fucked

I made mine loop videos in a Showroom. So right when it boots it'll go right into it and start looping it.

unfortunately i cant get it to stop, no keyboard command can get out of it. Can't stop it at boot either.

Which Raspberry Pi model were you using? Low-end ones can't really run N64 games. I haven't tried with 2B or 3B, but it's my experience with pre-2B models.

Pi 2B
Maybe I did something wrong while configuring it= Meh, I currently wont change its use so idc

Wireless bridge

Hey fa/g/s

I introduced my little cousin to the psx spyro games while on my trip to Europe, and he misses them (I'm in Canada).

His parents are tech illiterate, so I wanted to mail him an rPi or variant and a game controller with emulators for psx, n64, etc.

Any suggestions for what pi (or other board), OS/software, and controllers work without too much hassle? I'm obviously willing to set it up, but I can't service/troubleshoot it if something is really wrong or if controller profiles reset or whatever.

t. nice cousin

I bought some cheap speakers, hacked up some scripts and turned it into a white noise machine controlled by a USB joypad

Retropie and controller. I use a Gamestop Xbox 360 one cause it's only like 25 bucks.

You won't trick me, shill. I see you making this thread every other day. I'm not going to buy one.

Distributed computing of three in parallel for LHC@Home.

Thank you user.

Any advice on the pi? 2, 3? Orange pi?

would the rp3 do well for 24/7 torrenting?

We'll, I made the thread yesterday, and I'm not OP. I did just buy my first. It's been pretty cool.

With good SD card it won't crash, you can make a really good uptime.

youtube.com/watch?v=3dgnD93pwX0

Why do bad SD cards cause the rpi to crash?

why?

I us my rPi 2 for an Nvidia link to play vidya on bug screen with wireless Xbox 360 controller or keyboard/mouse. Also have SD cards setup for seeding, wireless bridge, print server, dns server, tinkering. I'm thinking if getting another one and a motion sensor module for surveillance camera.

Over clock it.
The original one I had didn't seem as fast as others. Silicon lottery.

After some usage some cards just get worn off and can make system unstable.

DNS AdBlocker server that blocks all ads and trafficking for all my network, also a VPN server to access my network from far away. No, RetroArch on Pi is shit. Unoptimized pile of bullshit code. Get any old computer mobo (laptops are good for this) and use that to emulate.

Overclock to 1ghz if you wanna run n64. It's going to be hit or miss on each game anyway. N64 emulation will never be great.

I have sleep problems and I heard white noise was meant to help, and actual white noise machines are pretty expensive

I have a 3 since that was the newest when I got it. It runs PSX games well.

>pi hole - dns adblocker server
Next level:
Pi Hole DNS Adblocker - over VPN using PiVPN

I've been chiseling the past few days trying to get this to work, everything connects up but I can't properly use my own DNS working without a secondary.

Own DNS - cant resolve any sites
Include my router or google DNS - can resolve sites but ads come through

I've got my Orange Pi Plus 2 two days ago after 3 weeks.
It comes with a Chinese version of Android 4.4, it overheat.
Some images provided by the official website doesn't work, and I've still doesn't made a proper installation of Debian (I haven't a lot of time).

Advice : get the Banana Pi. It may be a bit more expensive, but I've heard it's more reliable.

I killed my raspberry pi trying to get it to work correctly with a usb serial :(

>he used the red wire

I built mine in to a set of traffic lights to indicate the most recent build status on CircleCI, at work. here's a pic of it after a successful build :D

And here's it while a build is in progress

>never test but bitch about it

Are 40 bucks too much for you to handle? Just ask your mom for more allowance, or stop wasting your last money on pokémon go coins

I have an OdroidXU4 with Lakka installed. Couldn't get Bluetooth to work on mine though.
I'm sure you could use the latest Raspberry Pi

How? I used to play N64 games on a tablet with a single core 700MHz ARMv7 CPU with 256MiB RAM all the time.

orange pi is superior

Ctrl alt f1 or f2

not the guy you replied to, did it work as you intended?

I think it might have helped a bit, but I'm not sure.

Please expand. How does the hardware compare? Compatibility with OSes?

>orange pi is chinese
fixd 4 u

orange pi is chinkshit good luck with your chinkshit documentation and broken pi

I have never been interested in this micro computers, but can you make a RPI into a retro emulator?

you can do literally whatever you want as long as you have the knowledge + willpower to do it

i find myself easily giving up on projects because of their difficulties

I just decommed my RPI and migrated it to a VM on my server.

Fkin micro SDs

It's like the most common "project" ever, it's so easy you can just run one command and everything will automatically set up because people have already scripted the heavy lifting.

Do you prefer PiVPN, or OpenVPN?

I got that pifm software working, not sure what end I'm going to pursue this to though. I might build a filter and amp for it and have a script that sends me pics from the camera over sstv every so often. I have a barn that I would love to remotely monitor but its solar powered so i need to keep it small. These are just ideas I have been floating around so far, any input?

just for downloading torrents and streaming plex + dlna

question,
i have a Pi and was wondering how hard it would be to get it to activate a water switch based on humidity and water my plants when it gets 2 dry ex.
i have a very limited amount of programming knowledge though.
made 2 programs in college and realized it hated coding.
this possible or should i not try?

I use it to gather dust

/diy/ might be more help than here, I can tell you off the bat that an arduino would probably be better for this than a pi. Much simpler to program than a pi and it can interface to sensors better than a pi.

Got mine 2 days ago.
It serve as a 24/7 seedbox with a 4TB hard drive connected.

what if i just went with a timer say every 12hrs

RPI has GPIO pins for this sort of thing, but considering
>made 2 programs in college and realized it hated coding.
Then I'd say this project is almost impossible for you.

It's Pink Noise you want I'm 99% certain

Well that's not very fun. But yes I suppose that is the simplest solution.
Sometimes people hate coding when its on computers but like doing it on physical systems where inputs cause tangible outputs, sensors motors and all that crap. I'm the same way, thats why I'm studying electronics engineering and not computer engineering.

>Then I'd say this project is almost impossible for you
i hated the fact that i had to spend like 10 hours a day coding.
I love working with my hands so a physical object to interact with could save me here.

Well, here are some pointers:

-Get familiar with how the GPIO pins work and how you can interact with them through code
-Buy a humidity sensor
-Depending on implementation, you'll probably need some sort servo for operating the watering system
-Learn how to read the humidity and drive the servo with the GPIO pins

Logic for the system would be extremely simple, I'm sure you'll figure that out.

gonna make a fake wifi honeypot at my campus to get aaall the google accounts

ssh user@IP
kill PID
???
profit

1, Poor man's backup server (with an external HDD) my other machines rsync to once a day.
2. A couple of daily cron job scripts scraping some data from the web.

current uptime: 191 days.

>git server

holy shit that's awesome

I want to use it to set up a nas for my external storage that I never use because it's not convenient maybe 3d printing a case for it as well but the costs start to add up

we should have more of these threads, like a daily pi or arduino thread it would be more useful than 90% of the threads on this bullshit board

hey my dad got one of those bullshit little devices that runs some linux distro that you connect to your tv and watch movies and shows

is that like a shitty chinese raspberry pi? can I salvage that somehow and put it to better use?

Replacement for my Linux server VMs, and Linux desktop.
I have a couple running different kinds of servers, drawing less than 30 watts total when idle. The heat is also significantly less than my old desktop PC.

I have another in my bedroom for web surfing, typing documents, doing spreadsheets, SSH, quick and dirty coding, editing small pictures, watching movies, listening to music (have hifiberry dac+ pro connected to it), and playing emulators.

When ffmpeg landed OMX encode support for rasp pi, I tried using it for video encoding, but you're still bottlenecked by decode and I/O. 12 fps is still better than 3 though.

I can do software just fine, but I'm weak when it comes to electrical and mechanical stuff. Currently thinking of learning basic electrical engineering with it.

> DNS adblocker
> OpenVPN
Those are on my router, since I'm using tomato.

>college edgelord "hacker"

plebbit is that way.

>4TB of potential data
>4-5MB/sec
you're a fucking retard

>git server
I hope you also backup your repos to a more reliable server every commit. I'd be afraid of relying on a microsd

>I'd be afraid of relying on a microsd
some programmers are so fucking oblivious of technology that it's scary

Hi guys am I in the right thread?

Nice Pocket Chip m8. How is it?

I'm using my RasPi for torrents/podcasts, RasPi 2 for pentesting

It is severely underpowered and the screen resolution is almost unusably low. But its a fun toy and it web browses pretty well. And if you like playing with terminal this thing will be your best friend.