/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
Android 7.0 Nougat factory images and OTA zip files are now available
gsmarena.com/android_70_nougat_factory_images_and_ota_zip_files_are_now_available-news-20103.php

Android Nougat Maintenance Release 1 to bring Nexus Launcher, Google Assistant, new buttons
gsmarena.com/android_nougat_maintenance_release_1_to_bring_nexus_launcher_google_assistant_new_butons-news-20102.php

Sony publishes official list of devices getting Android 7.0 Nougat
gsmarena.com/sony_publishes_official_list_of_devices_getting_android_70_nougat_updates-news-20101.php

ZTE Axon Max 2 with 6" screen, S625 chipset found in benchmark lists
gsmarena.com/zte_axon_max_2_with_6_screen_s625_chipset_found_in_benchmark_lists-news-20096.php

Android Nougat 7.1 on the way? Might launch with Nexus Marlin/Sailfish
phonearena.com/news/Android-Nougat-7.1-on-the-way-Might-launch-with-Nexus-MarlinSailfish_id84448

Android 7.0 Nougat Update MKBHD
youtube.com/watch?v=W82ErGmjUik

CyanogenMod has begun to work on CM14
github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_lge_bullhead/tree/staging/cm-14.0

Nexus 6P vs Oneplus 3: Does 2015's best phone hold up?
youtu.be/zWby_iWSFJI

Old:

Other urls found in this thread:

willmyphonework.net/
droid-life.com/2013/11/05/how-to-flash-nexus-5-factory-images/
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_3_snapdragon-review-1477.php
m.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/comments/4zed2m/an_overview_of_android_nougats_massive_battery/
phonearena.com/news/This-is-the-Sony-Xperia-X-Compact_id84521
en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=278268&highlight=Ota+break&mobile=2
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/development/recovery-kenzotwrp-cafface-3-0-0-t3369341
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What would be your pick, Sup Forums?

>LG G3
>Z3
>HTC One M9

I'd go for the Z3. Better battery life, rom support, and waterproof and such. Also, I've heard things about the G3, like bad battery life.

I forgot the mention the overheating piece of garbage that is the M9. Go for the Z3.

Hey Redmi Note 3 Sup Forums users, could you guys recommend whether I should install CM13 or Resurrection Remix? I've heard RR has better battery life, and that you can't enable on screen buttons by default on CM13. Thoughts?

Moto X Pure here
Tried rooting my phone, installed Supersu now my phone freezes when I boot it up. Tried a factory reset, didn't do anything. What do I do?

Hopefully pulling the trigger on the Z5 Premium tomorrow.

I've read that it can run hot and the fingerprint scanner can stop working. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Thinking about getting this case cause it looks cute

>All this waiting for Xiaomi to verify my device for unlocking.
arghgh

Will the Mi4s work with MetroPCS?..

it has a sd 810. of course it runs hot

2 days. Just 2 fucking days.

willmyphonework.net/

I think my Nexus 5 is going to pack up soon, what would be a decent replacement for it? Looking for something similar in spec and size, should I get the 5X or wait to see if Google drop any new ones in October?

I didn't really get any answers yesterday so I'm gonna try again

>pic related
yay or nay?

I thought it had just 1,5GB of ram and a 1,2 ghz processor. Wouldn't do it for a gimmick.

hey, any good options for a budget smartphone?
want to buy my dad his first smartphone.
nothing fancy required, i want something cheap.
he doesnt have facebook, probably wont be youtubing much, maybe just reading the news, sending some emails and stuff.
the important thing would be solid battery life and a small screen (nothing bigger than 4.5").
thanks for any input.

If price is a factor get the 5X. If not wait

Does the One Plus 3 recognise USB cardreaders?

I have this SD card from my old phone of which i want to transfer a lot of data. I've got a USB-C to usb adapter so i thought it might work.

Hello Sup Forums I'm a total noob when it comes to smartphones
I have the following device:

Model Number : Alcatel One Touch 5020T
Firmware version: 4.1.1
Kernel Version 3.4.0
Build Number: Jelly Bean

My installation came with a lot of unwanted softwares so I want to root and maybe change the rom

The problem is I really don't know what I'm doing and I already bricked a phone before so I have some question before committing.

My first question is:
What is the tool I should use to root my Alcatel?(I use a Linux operating system)
Also I heard there's a tool for "lazy" people but it doesn't grant you full root access? What does it mean?

Second question is:
Is there a rom with only a launcher and play store installed?
I heard of something called Prism Barebone, is it any good?

Third question is : What's so good about Cyanogen?

Okay thanks user

Is this phone that bad? I always loved how it looks, but heard bad things about the hardware, build quality, heat management and recently boot loops.
I need a Nexus, but rather not support HTC so no Sailfish, and the 6P is too large for me.

all smartphones are EXACTLY the same save for minor spec variations.

this thread is pointless.

Compare samshit with top notch hardware to the 2015 iphone 6s and watch it getting obliterated.
Sure they look equal on paper but perform very differently

okay thanks f a m
what about the K10? it sounds pretty good for the money

none but if those were the only choices then z3

can I nougat my nexus 5 yet

yes

Source: I have it on right now, plan on using it as a daily driver

is it that much of an improvement from marshmallow?

my power button's fucked and getting into bootloader may take a few hours

From stock?
Absolutely

From something like CM13
Yes

But people are reporting issues. Some say that the rear camera doesn't work properly. Mine does, so idk

Also to get into the bootloader just use adb
adb reboot bootloader

Guys , I've unregistered my device from the Nougat beta but I still haven't received the OTA update (downgrade in this case)
Does it always take that long ? It's been almost 24 hours

lol

>(downgrade in this case)
what

what's funny dick
I want to go back to Marshmallow

just flash the system images you pussy

i need a custom recovery for that ? or is it root ?
I've never done that before I usually just root my phone for supersu

>This is your average Sup Forums user.

no, i usually browse /r9k/ and Sup Forums
i go on Sup Forums like once a year

no
just an unlocked bootloader
droid-life.com/2013/11/05/how-to-flash-nexus-5-factory-images/

i have a 5x

>These instructions are specifically for the Nexus 5, but they will work for any Nexus device
>All you need to do is make sure you have downloaded the correct factory image file
>follow the instructions, replacing file names with the files names in the factory image you downloaded

Get obliterated how? Are you talking s7 vs iphone 6s? Speed isn't the only thing that matters, and even in that area its not a clear win. Opening an app 2 seconds faster doesnt mean its in a different leage.

I've had no problems with mine. Heat management? There was a few problems with thermal throttling, fixed with a few root tweaks. Build quality is definitely great, especially compared to the 6P which bends more than a pool noodle. I say go for it

>t. Google fanboy

Same thing could be said about any product, but i'd rather drive a bmw than a fiat.

might pull the trigger and get the s7
is it worth it? what should i expect?

waterproof, so you can jerk it in the shower

My backup plan if the new Nexus turns out to be a bust is the 6p or OP3. Any caveats or things I should be weary of?

>6p
bendy like a straw

>OP3
enjoy getting Android N some time next year

>enjoy getting Android N some time next year
I was just gonna out CM14 on it.

In that case
enjoy getting stable Android N in 2-3 months

Beats are already looking pretty stable. Everyoneon XDA was taken aback by how quick they are this time around. Obviously updates is something Nexus phones will always be the champ at though.

Do you have experience with the 6p? I was hoping the bendgate was just a meme pushed by ifags upset over the 6s.

>6p
one of my m80s has one
idk about the bending, but it's a bretty gud phone

Should I get OnePlus X or XiaoMi Redmi Note 3?
Which one has a better display?

The Redmi Note 3.
Thanks. How's the battery life? Coming off a Nexus 5 I'm kind of done with phones that perform poorly in this area.

idk desu
Here's how it ranks on GSMArena's battery tests
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

The Nexus 5 has an endurance rating of 60h

RN3P

gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_3_snapdragon-review-1477.php

I'll ask one more time before giving up on this,
>flash cm3
>flash opengapps
>no errors, no errors or warnings in log
>reboot
>no gapps to be seen anywhere
>back to recovery mode, flash gapps again
>still nothing
Why?

Thanks, my dudes, Note 3 it is, then
OnePlus X looks sexy as fuck though. What a shame.

Yeah you're welcome. It really is a beautiful phone, when it dropped last year it was easily the most attractive design. But there's way too many compromises in other areas imo. Go with the Redmi.

i gave that question already in previous /spg/ thread. but noone replied.

Should i really care about battery preformance? seems most phones lasts for 1 day, not including chinkphones with 5k mah battery.
its worth to pay more money for preformance of phone?

Make sure it's the Pro version and _not_ the one with mediakek.
fixed

There's no reason to assume that Marlin or Sailfish will be anything less than the best phones in their respect price range of the year. Just like the 6p last year. Marlin will learn from the mistake of discarding ois, ditch the useless front firing speakers, and be an all around superior performer. Design will be subjectively more attractive (looking more like an iPhone, though I think the 6p is beautiful) but definitely more durable unlike Huwaei's bendy disgrace. So just hang tight. Grab a 5X if you need something in the mean time.

>useless front firing speakers
too bad it won't ditch the hueg chin

Broke the glass on my trusty old S3. Now I'm considering the LG G5, because it has a removable battery and thats a must for me - I'm not gonna ditch a perfectly functioning device after 2-3 years just because battery is at 60% of original capacity and cannot be replaced. I want to get like 5 years out of a flagship phone, unless I accidentally break it like the S3.

Apparently the LG G5 sells like shit, because in my country its the cheapest snapdragon 820 phone and is like $100 cheaper than the S7 and the OP3 (which is overpriced here). I guess that's because the S7 is a lot nicer looking and the shilling has been immense for this phone. Idon't mind the looks, because I will put it in a case anyway.

Are there any dealbreakers I should know about regarding the G5?

>Are there any dealbreakers I should know about regarding the G5?
Both the G3, G4 and V10 have bootloop issues and you have to RMA the device.

>just because battery is at 60% of original capacity and cannot be replace
you can get non-removable batteries replaced
wait for lg v20. lg has to make a great phone or else it is deep in shit.

Is the OnePlus 3 the best option available within its price range? What are some alternatives?

I can't wait for upcoming models, I need a replacement asap

If camera is more important than anything else: G3

If everything else is important and camera isnt a big thing: z3

The phones has been out for over 6 months and I found only few reddit and xda posts about this. I guess its just a small percentage of defective units, not a general problem.

Yeah you can get the battery replaced, but the costs can go as high as $100 unless you do it yourself. After 3 years the device itself will have a value of like $150.

I've also heard about the shit build quality around the bottom removable part, but that should be irrelevant if I put the phone in a case.

Anyone have Project Fi? How is it? Was thinking of using it.

I'm holding one right now. Just got it yesterday.

cons
-Gets really hot, like worrisomely so, form moderately intense tasks like OS updates
-Speaker (ear and loud) quality is rough. Tinny/metallic. Passable for conversations, bad for music
-many reports of battery problems with nougat
-yellowish screen on some units (mine incl)
-No SD card slot
-image stabilisation on videos you take sucks. Shakey cam.

Everything else is good/great tier. 120 fps video is tons of fun, better than moto's implementation. Would have been disappointed at launch price, but for $200 it's a fucking steal.

No.

Forgot link:
m.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/comments/4zed2m/an_overview_of_android_nougats_massive_battery/

I've had a Moto G LTE for two years, and it's starting to show it's age. I was planning on buying the new Nexus soon, but they just got pushed back.

The Moto G4, released in May, is currently £130 on Amazon UK and is looking mighty tasty at that price. Snapdragon 617 with 2Gb RAM and a MicroSD slot. Any opinions?

Yeah it's ok.

any newer software will have less battery life at the first couple of days. same for iphones.

No m8, there's a bug that has been persistent for 3+ months. A service called 'android system' sucks up more battery than the screen.

which one out of these three budget smartphones should i go for?

>Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3
>Sony Xperia E3
>LG LEON

A better job.

Moto E

Try Kingroot to root it, should be fairly straight forward, no PC required

ROMs differ per phone, usually CyanogenMod is fairly barebones, and you can remove unwanted apps once you have rooted it
CyanogenMod is basically just plain Android with some extra features (like theming, extra settings). CyanogenMod is generally considered to be the go-to ROM as it has the biggest community and therefor generally the most stable, if you don't know or care too much about ROMs, go with CM.

The OPX is discontinued, so good luck getting one in the first place
The RN4 was announced today, so have a look at that

Should I buy an HTC 10 now or wait a month and buy the V20?

Haven't they stopped developing CM though?

I'm on cm 12.1 on my xperia zr. Is resurrection remix a good rom? This one is on 6.0.1 already and I'd like to see marshmallow one day.

did i fucked up buying the redmi note 3 pro and not just wait for the note 4 snapdragon version to come out?

phonearena.com/news/This-is-the-Sony-Xperia-X-Compact_id84521

a new compact phone from sony

No it won't come out until Jan 2017.

You answered it yourself.
It doesn't really matter, you'll charge your phone every night unless your a poweruser in that case you'll need a powerbank regardless.

LADS
Redmeme note 3 or Axon 7?

How do they actually handle in reality?

axon because of build quality

Should I wait for the Redmi 4 to buy a cheap 5 inch smartphone?

Note 7 worth it guys? if so which color?

How can I root my xiaomeme redmi note 3 pro? Do I need to unlock the bootloader and wait for my request to be accepted?

en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=278268&highlight=Ota+break&mobile=2

2 phones, one price
which should I buy, Note 4 or S6?

big dick?
>yes
note 4
>no
s6

So I do need to unlock the bootloader. Okay.

You sure? I heard Note 4 is more powerfull.

Flash Global Dev, unlock the BL, flash TWRP, flash SuperSU. You install SuperSU from TWRP. TWRP Cofface:
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/development/recovery-kenzotwrp-cafface-3-0-0-t3369341

Hey lad, I don't have any experience with RR but the unofficial santosh build of CM13 works without bugs for me so far.

Does anybody have the most recent Sup Forums approved apps list?

So how usable is this still in 2016? How usable will it be in 2017?

Will BB10 still get security updates?
Will I still be able to use Whatsapp after support ends in 2016?

Are there any issues I should know about? Aside from the double typing problem?

Still having trouble deciding between the robin and 5x.

They're almost identical specs-wise, but
>robin has 3GB RAM, nexus has 2
>robin has "132gb" of storage, nexus has 32
>nexus has better community support, and has nougat already, robin will be getting a nougat based rom in q4
>robin is a e s t h e t i c
>nexus has both ports on the bottom
but otherwise they're the same, same display size, resolution, CPU, etc

helpp me Sup Forums, I'm too indecisive for this