Are Chromebooks a meme or would it actually be worth getting one and switch over to Linux...

Are Chromebooks a meme or would it actually be worth getting one and switch over to Linux? I mainly use Linux anyway and Chromebooks, for the hardware they provide, are quite cheap. I'd be mostly only looking to perhaps switch out the SSD for my 512 GB if it's SATA compatible.

They are comfy little meme machines for poorfags.

Nothing more.

You can achieve the same thing on a cheap Windows netbook I imagine?

Just install Linux and some light weight WM.

You'll be able to play music, browse the web, do some light programming and that's it.

just get one with removalble memory, or one with an m-sata ssd. The chink ones like hisense are soldered to the board, and they tend to be shitty san disk ssds that crap out just after warranty. One plus side is that I did not notice any tamper seals ( ^:

Not until they support native Android apps

I've got an old Acer Aspire 5560G but the thing just chugs and it's basically a heavy paperweight at this point. I'm in University and I'm looking for something lighter, more compact with decent battery life and not having to spend a fucking fortune on an ultrabook.

Do they maintain the battery life when you switch to Linux though?

Well, the battery life on my acer is better with linux than windows with TLP

Opposite for me (also using a shitty acer 5750G) Windows runs less hot and about 30% more battery on Linux.

Just bought an ASUS c200 for 140 CAD at Bby. The thing seems well built and handles my tab whoring quite well. It also has >10 hours battery which is quite amazing. I'll opt to take this to school instead of my $1300 HP i7 beast of a laptop that can barely get >3 hours of battery life. I do most of my heavy applications at home anyway. So this Chromebook should serve me well at school.

*than on Linux

Which Linux are you using? I'm on Lubuntu and I get shit loads more battery life. Also did you install TLP?

I take my laptop to school often (fell for the CS meme) but I don't really take it out in lectures (although it could last me through the lecture day pretty easily even with just 4 hours of battery life)

In the library and on college labs there's always a place to plug in your shit though so 13 hour battery life isn't that necessary.

What can you do on a chromebook besides use chrome and web apps though?

Just buy a Mac and pray to the lords of all that is living the spiders don't come.

About to get the Dell 13 and slap linux on it asap. Going to use it for senior year cs, personal dev work, youtube, and shitposting. I like that I don't have to pay the hidden oem windows license fee since I'm going to strip it anyway.

All that matters on laptops are screen, keyboard, and trackpad. Battery, ram, and ports take a distant second. Pick a budget and maximize those things, don't worry so much about the os. Oh and make sure it has an ssd.

about 1 hour less

oops was meant for this one

You get a full bash shell with dev mode turned on, you can also dualboot or nuke chromeos and run native linux.

Chromebooks are great for the value! Currently have an Acer C720 running Arch Linux and upgraded to 128gb SSD. £160 total!

>using the backward smiley with a carat nose

they aren't bad for the price. A cb311 can run counterstrike source with crouton on it, so that gives you an idea of the max they can handle.

you gotta get crouton, though. it's shit without it. chromeos has no support for anything. crouton recently added debian jessie to the available distros, it's really exciting.