GENTOO IS THE FASTEST DISTRO: EVIDENCE IN LINK

GENTOO IS THE FASTEST DISTRO: EVIDENCE IN LINK

Check out this post: reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3lq8ys/a_personal_case_comparison_of_system_resources_on/

My first sentence is hopefully clickbaity enough to get you faggots in here talking. I really don't want this to turn into a distro flame war. Gentoo isn't for everyone. *However* the post does show some pretty convincing proof that if you utilize Portage to strip down features you don't need there are tangible performance benefits. So those of you who just blatantly spout "gentoo maybe gives you .5% more performances at most and isn't noticable ever" you're kind of wrong.

So let's talk about what we can strip down. The OP of that post has stripped consolekit, polkit, acl, and udisks from his system. Does the average, single-user computer need those? What other bloat do you remove? I'm curious to see how thick, solid, and tight I can get my OS. In my use flags I have -bluetooth -ipv6 -qt5 -qt4 -gtk -upower -sqlite -handbook

>RAM usage

Really?
Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

it also discusses boot times as well.

but i would argue that a big chunk of linux users switched to linux because of not being able to control their OS on Windows, like not being able to easily uninstall some pre-installed bloat taking up disk space and ram. Switching from a different distro to Gentoo gives you that feeling all over again, of being in control of what is running on your system.

Now show me some useful numbers such as browser benchmarking. Can I shitpost faster with Gentoo?

talking completely out of my ass and with no numbers at all, i would say that yes gentoo could allow you to shitpost faster.

assuming identical hardware, the biggest determining factors for browsing speed would be the engine you're using, add-ins installed, and for many websites a big one would adblocking.

those being some of the biggest factors, i would make an educated guess that stripping features from the system and browser using portage would make a noticable (yet less noticable than the above) difference. don't need pulseaudio, gstreamer, ffmpeg, or wifi support built in the browser? remove them from firefox in your use flags.

at the absolue very least firefox would start up faster on first load.

Gentoo hipster lifecycle

1: "I'm turning my computer into the way I am beddur than u, and I AM beddur than u, faggots!"

2: 6-8 months pass of complete loneliness, even VN's can't do it anymore, try to talk to people (but you are still better than them)

3: (You are here) Try to get people in on gentoo, like you will "show them the way" or some shit

4: A few people join the IRC circlejerk and things are fine for a week or so

5: Realize you never had any social skills, this transfers to even IRC, start banning people because they don't regurgitate the exact same quantum snowflake shit you do, excuse you give them on why you're banning everyone is usually a variation on step 1 and the cycle repeats until suicide in your mid 30s

You make up the time from all the time you have to waste compiling your packages.

How long do you have to run Gentoo until the speed increase makes up for the installation time?

HOLY SHIT I HAVE TO CALL MY MOM BRB

Was talking about things like rendering of web pages and JavaScript performance.

yea if you sit there and wait for your packages to install... but who the hell would do that? emerge packages, switch to a different window, and then continue using your computer like a normal person...

i personally wrote a script that emails me the updates that are available on my computer every morning at 7am. if i decide to upgrade my computer i'll ssh to it from work and update it. takes me less than fifteen seconds to ssh and issue the update command, then i'm back to work and when i'm home everything is up to date.

i already said in the beginning that gentoo isn't for everyone, but don't spout stuipd reasons. either give me an actually interesting reason that it doesn't fork for you or else move along boi

>Switching from a different distro to Gentoo gives you that feeling all over again, of being in control of what is running on your system.

That isn't really the OS's fault though.
No one's stopping you from just going to github and installing shit from source on Mint.

Turning all that shit off doesn't make your system faster or easier to use.

the first time you install gentoo you'll probably learn a couple of things if you're new to linux.

once you actually know linux pretty well and have installed gentoo once or twice before then it will take you twenty minutes to get to the point where you emerge the kernel. you can then just copy over a working .config file from another machine, make any simple hardware driver changes you need, and compile the new kernel. on modern hardware that takes like 8 minutes if you build a kernel with only support you need.

all in all it takes like an hour. try installing windows 7 on a computer and then doing updates. jesus fucking christ, i did that to a work computer two months ago and the updates took over 5 hours to install, no exaggeration.

>-qt5 -qt4 -gtk
Well duh.

How do you even browse the web properly on that though?

Are there any good framebuffer-based browsers?

i never said it's anyone's 'fault', i specifically stated i don't want a distro war and i'm not bashing other distros.

the point of this thread was supposed to be what have Sup Forumsentoo users actually removed from their system to strip it down? things that maybe not everyone has thought of?

like, if you don't use pulseaudio and bluetooth it is obvious to remove those from use flags. but i personally never thought to remove udisks and polkit because i don't really understand 100% what they do.

i was hoping to get some discussion going but it seems like hardly anyone actually uses gentoo besides me

i set those flags globally and then add them to specific packages if i need them. my webrowser is qutebrowser which is written in python i believe. it has vim keybindings which i can't live without and it has adblocking so it does everything i need it to.

if you want to use firefox then yea add the gtk use flag to that package, but i personally don't like adding gtk globally because most of the time i don't want it.

Fuck off retard.

I really don't see the point in having to wait 2 hours for Firefox to compile just so it uses like 100 MB less RAM on my 16 GB RAM machine.

My CPU's average load is like 10% and my RAM usage with 20 tabs opened in Chromium, text editors/IDEs working on my Arch Linux running Cinnamon was like 3.4 GB or something.

My autism stops at the point of Arch, where I've installed all the programs that I need and nothing else.

My autism hasn't reached Gentoo level where I'll meticulously compile everythingform source and search and cut features that I don't need.

>i was hoping to get some discussion going but it seems like hardly anyone actually uses gentoo besides me

Well this is what you get when you start the thread with provocative claims.

Next time just call it Sup Forumsentoo general or something or just ask in the "friendly" gnu linux thread

OP here.

i don't think anyone has ever claimed that stripping things makes it easier to use...

in terms of faster, the article i linked directly shows that boot time is significantly imporved and that RAM usage is reduced. less processes are running on your system competing for resources. these differences aren't minute, they are tangible as shown by the drastic difference in ram usage.

some programs have like twenty use flags, you cannot tell me that compiling that program with only the features you give you an end result of the same performance? if you're trying to make that argument then you're wrong.

if your argument is that the difference isn't worth your time and you don't care, then fine, that's valid. but fuck man, portage is interesting to me and very powerful.

No, I'm saying that it doesn't make your system faster to strip out those features.

You are spreading FUD.

you can install the binary firefox if it's that big of a deal, but it really shouldn't be. emerge it in the background and do other shit. once you install it the first time and have it running you don't need to wait for firefox to compile an update... you can keep using firefox while the update is compiling in the background...

>EVIDENCE IN LINK
>reddit

discarded

>I don't know shit about anything

fuck off already.

i am saying that it does. it makes your computer boot faster and it also makes programs open faster. those two points are not arguable at all.

on top of that you simply have less processes installed taking resources away from what you want to be doing. did you ever use kde4 with nepomuk? while nepomuk was indexing files on your computer cpu usage would spike and your computer would run incredibly slowly. with gentoo you could completely remove all nepomuk, strigi, etc.

that is a huge example and there are thousands of smaller examples of how having processes running that you don't need will slow down your computer.

I don't understand tripcunts that act like retards. You insist on having your little personality, but you keep doing retarded shit that makes you look like a dense fuck.

Present a counterpoint or fuck off shitlord. Simply saying "No, you're wrong" doesn't mean shit.

How exactly does removing bluetooth gtk and qt support make your system faster?

I'm very bored so I'll humor you. It sure as fuck isn't going to make you boot any faster, and it also won't let you launch a gtk app faster (lmao)

#rekt

>Gentoo has no polkit, consolekit, udisks, acl support neither in kernel or in userland, Mint has all these

Gentoo sounds pretty fucking useless because I make use of all of those things. I bet Gentoo doesn't even have dbus and tries to convince people that batch opening 80 images to gimp is better when they have 80 instances of gimp running than one with 80 tabs.

Backwards ass retards.

bluetooth services are generally started at boot you moron. if you don't have bluetooth support compiled on your computer then that process doesn't need to start. starting a process takes time. not starting a process doesn't take time.

and also, you can remove bluetooth support from the kernel, resulting in a smaller kernel. smaller kenrels boot faster.

have you ever used a computer for anything besides tripfagging and facebook? this is seriously computers 101.

on a single user computer what do you need acl for? i 100% know for sure that i don't need access control lists. and i don't have consolekit on my computer as it is. i don't 100% understand polkit, if you feel like explaining the benefits of it to me then maybe i'll agree with you there.

You are wrong.
I have all that shit turned on and I boot to awesome-wm in under 6 seconds.

4 seconds of that is firmware.

i am wrong in saying that starting a service takes time? you're an idiot. good for you on having a fast boot time, you've configured your computer to start faster than most people. but you're wrong if you think that gentoo wouldn't provide you with the tools to trim that time down more, even if only slightly.

this is not an opinion. keep that in mind. if you decide to reply again.

1) Gentoo is not the definitive 'fastest distro'. it is extremely basic and modified by the user to meet it's need. The user's individual coding of the system/preferences can make it perform totally different than another user

2) Before anyone starts memeing about this making gentoo the 'best' distro, I'll remind everyone the support for gentoo is shit, and the repos are basically dead. if you want total distro-freedom, go with arch. I'm not an arch user, but i'd much rather use arch than gentoo.

>tripfagging

> drops filters to see which tripcunt is being a tripcunt
> no surprises there

Just filter him, he's an argumentative shitlord as you are clearly seeing.

Yes, and it would be faster if you didn't load those services you argumentative shitlord.

You basically don't known what you are talking about, the kernel size makes almost no difference in boot time. Removing run time features with useflags that don't effect boot time is also pointless.

I can only assume you are on some caffeine fueled shitposting binge and the entire purpose of this thread is to piss off Gentoo users.

No it wouldn't.
I use systemd so its fast even if I load shit like networkmanager or bluetooth.

1. i stated the first sentence was purposeful clickbait to start a discussion that never ended up happening. i agree with your first point.
2. no idea why you think support is shit, ive gotten help on irc, the forums, and even the subreddit before. i also haven't noticed dead repos, i have various updates available every day. your second point is opinion and my opinion differs from yours.

read the article i posted in the OP. boot time can be significantly faster using the tools gentoo provides. if you continue to argue with this then you're dense.

please not the way i word things. i'm not saying "gentoo is l33t and will solve all of your problems". i'm saying that gentoo provides users with tools to make their computers faster. Being able to trim down your kernel, completely control services, and remove bloat provides a faster system.

>muh boot times
How often do you even reboot, really?

Do you people also think CPU cache is bloat?

god damnit this is turning into every other gentoo thread on Sup Forums. if you don't use gentoo because you can't be fucked to tune your system then it clearly isn't meant for you.

now for those of you that use Sup Forumsentoo and appreciate being able to remove what you don't need, what do you remove? how have you customized your system?

I don't need to read the article, my shit is already fast.
>The OP of that post has stripped consolekit, polkit, acl, and udisks from his system.
Why?
>In my use flags I have -bluetooth -ipv6 -qt5 -qt4 -gtk -upower -sqlite -handbook
Why?

It sure as fuck ins't going to make your system faster.

Gentoo isn't about debloating your system its about customization.

If you want to waste your time crippling libraries and binaries for no fucking reason go right ahead.

>either give me an actually interesting reason that it doesn't work for you

I'm not the type of person who writes emails to myself at 7am.

>once you actually know linux pretty well and have installed gentoo once or twice before
See, that's where you're wrong.
Linus Torvalds never tried Debian cause it was too hard to install, and I'm sure he knows a thing or two about Linux.

Installing it won't teach you anything worthwhile. You'll learn what partitions and dependencies and locales and network interfaces and kernel modules are soon enough, when you actually work with it.

your shit is fast. congrats. it seems you're asking me to convince you to use gentoo and i honestly don't give a shit about you. i'll answer your questions and then just leave the thread, there's nothing else for you here.

i stripped acl, bluetooth, and handbook because i never plan on using them. the same way that when i installed windows and it came with realplayer i removed that. the same way that when i get a phone and it has verizonGamesBeJeweled.apk i remove that.

i removed qt4, qt5, and gtk globally so that i can install them on a case-by-case basis for when i want a packge to have it. vlc can use qt4 or qt5, i don't need both, so when i installed it i added qt5 to the package use flags.

linux had a bug with ipv6 for a long time, i'm still not sure if it's resolved i haven't checked, where if you used ipv6 your networking was much slower than when it used ipv4. this is another point that i made like with kde4 and nepomuk. software can and will have bugs. the less you have installed on your system the less chance you have for bugs in software to slow down their system.

"it sure as fuck isn't going to make your system faster" you are wrong. it can make your system faster. not having nepomuk makes kde4 faster. not having ipv6, at least for a period of time, made your system faster.

your system is already fast. congrats. now fuck off

>readit
fuck off

No only has linus done virtually no work whatsoever related to the linux kernel, but he's also completely clueless about the GNU operating system.

So if you have a normal desktop system, keep it updated, and only use it an hour a day or so:
Aren't you basically compiling in the background all the time you're using the PC?

it's almost as if different people like different things. crazy?!

and yes, you can learn everything elsewhere, but for a lot of people the first time they learn those things is when they try to install gentoo the first time.

No, it doesn't make your system any faster.

You basically just wasted a bunch of time removing a bunch of shit that you will probably have to turn back on at some point.

I'm not asking you to do anything but realize how fucking stupid you are.

>if you want total distro-freedom, go with arch
Freedom of/from what?

Arch gives you very little choice, very little alternatives in configuration, a very small repository and very few options in package management.

It's designed to be simple (which it is), not customizable.

are you trolling or are you ignorant? i'm providing you specific examples of how having packages installed HAS 100% DEFINITELY slowed down computers.

search "ipv6 linux slow dns"
search "kde4 nepomuk high cpu"
for god fucking sake run "systemd-analyze" and you'll mother fucking see how long it takes to start your kernel plus userspace. do this on ubuntu and look how long it takes to start the default kernel. now configure your kernel on gentoo and see how long it takes.

these are concrete examples that you cannot argue with, and if you try to, you're purposely choosing not to participate in a discussion and you're choosing to be a close-minded ignoramus

> he's still feeding tripcunts

I'm not sure who's more cancerous at this point..

it's automated... it took me five minutes to create a systemd timer to run emerge-webrsync and then email me a list of packages that have updates. i also have a timer to check the health of my harddrives in my freenas and email me the status.

i'm not handwriting myself emails at 7am...

Using kde makes your system boot slower?

Oh shit lay some more fucking gems on me.
Tell me more about how disabling qt and gtk in useflags makes your shit faster retard.

Here is a real tip if you want to shave some time off of your boot, disable raid autodetect in the kernel command line.

Telling people to disable acl and consolekit to make shit faster is fucking stupid and you are stupid for feeding into it.

my point is emerging kde with specific use flags disabled makes your computer faster than install kde with the defaults that a distro like ubuntu uses.

removing qt4 from your use flags can mean that you never have qt4 libraries installed. i just enabled qt4 for vlc and did a test to re-emerge it, it pulled in a dozen packages that i don't need. does that *alone* make your computer faster? probably not, but it does make it more lightweight. and the next time i go to update my computer, that's potentially 12 less packages that i need to update.

after all of this you still haven't read the numbers in the OP. the gentoo computer used significantly less ram and booted faster than linux mint and all of the top comments are "yea, no fucking duh, you don't have polkit, consolekit, and udisks. it makes sense that it boots faster and doesn't use as much ram"

that's all i've been saying this entire time. i'm not saying that saying gentoo three times out loud will make your computer faster.

>more lightweight
Oh boy here we go.
Gentoo is not a light weight distro. Reducing compile times for dependencies is not the same as making your computer faster.

If you only give a shit about runtime speed and being lightweight then you shouldn't be using Gentoo period.

Don't respond to tripfags. Just report and hide.

does he know that his arguments are retarded and he's just trying to troll? or do you think he actually believes what he is typing?

>my point is emerging kde with specific use flags disabled makes your computer faster than install kde with the defaults that a distro like ubuntu uses.

You have to compile all of QT and KDE. You will never get that time back of compiling them even once IN YOUR LIFETIME from any speed gains. This whole "I spent several hours compiling all this to get 2% faster computer" argument is so retarded it's not even funny and you don't deserve to pass your genes on, luckily from your posts here it's obv that unless you rape a woman somewhere where abortion is illegal we don't have to worry about that.

Pretty sure his brain tumor has merely grown a bit recently

>but it does make it more lightweight
Gentoo portage tree of text files is larger in size than my servers /usr/lib.

why in the fuck do you think you ever have to wait for it? ive addressed this to the other 30 people that keep spouting that line. you can install packages while doing other shit. emerge i3 or whatever the fuck you want to get a quick GUI and then install KDE if you want it while doing something else.

nobody that uses gentoo sits there and stares at the screen while it compiles. how autistic do you have to be to not understand reality? you're inventing something in your head and you're incompetent to think for five seconds beyond it... "oh, that thought i just had was pretty fucking stupid."

it's like that Louis CK bit about how for a second he thought the person walking their dog and on the phone at the same time had a phone leash combo. but at least after like fifteen seconds he was like "oh wait, why in the fuck would that exist.. i'm an idiot"

Perhaps your time is worthless but I enjoy being able to press enter and have KDE installed within minutes rather than literally 8 hours and having my machine running full load sucking up power for no reason at all.

If anyone appears to be autistic it is you. You seem to genuinely have some severe mental health issues and I hope you or your parents find the strength to seek help from a licensed specialist.

-ppp -samba -ipv6 -cups -nss -obex -modemmanager

dude if you don't want to use gentoo then don't fucking use it. and don't post in a gentoo thread.

it would be like if you went up to olympic swimmers and said "why do you fags shave your body hair you get like 1% gain out of it and i beat my friends in races all the time without it"

obviously it just isn't for you. that's fine. some of us enjoy tuning out systems. because of the OP link i posted which discussed remoing polkit, i have been researching and learning that technology. it's interesting to me. and if i decide i don't need it, i'll remove it, because i want to.

if none of that is interesting to you then yea, it'd be fucking stupid to do it.

literally the first person to even remotely discuss the topic i wanted to discuss lol

You will die in your sleep if you dont reply to this post faggot

You never print anything?
No IPv6 in 2016? LOL.

not the guy you're responding to but i have a server running gentoo and i have -cups enabled globally. no need to print from a server. that's the benefit of just having the option of customization.

also, i'm not using ipv6 until i have to. why would i? dns lookup is still slower on it.

>dude if you don't want to use gentoo
Nobody sane wants to use Gentoo, user.

Floens pls enable tripfag autohide this Guy is a perfect example for why its needed

>dns lookup is still slower on it.
Nonsense.

>i'm not using ipv6 until i have to. why would i?
No more need for NAT and on a server: dedicated IPs for virtual machines, including automatic DNS for VMs.

it is very possible that you know more about this than I do. maybe i'm misinformed. but from everything i've read, ipv6 is slower on linux than ipv4.

so one of two things are happening:
1. you're aware of the claim that ipv6 is slower on linux but don't believe it
2. you're not aware of this claim, in which case i suggest you look it up and make a determination after reading up on it

3. You are reading into some bug and making a determination on whether to use ipv6 or not based solely on that bug when it is no longer relevant.

Did you fucking crawl out of XDA or some shit? Why do I smell curry.

>but from everything i've read, ipv6 is slower on linux than ipv4.

So you don't actually have first hand experience testing it? You have produced no benchmarks and analysis for this? You simply parrot what you read online from random people?

Sounds like you really are a Gentoo user. Damn.

>1. you're aware of the claim that ipv6 is slower on linux but don't believe it
Now I get what you're thinking of. Broken routers and broken DNS servers. Yes, if you have a defective router or a bad DNS server, it's going to be slow. That is not an issue of IPv6 per se.

why are you being an asshole? yes, i've heard that ipv6 is slower than ipv4 and i have personally never had the urge to test it yet. i will one day, obviously, because it will one day become mandatory. but for now i have no problem at all with ipv4 only.

i still prefer having the option to remove features if i don't want them, even if sometimes i remove stuff that you would consider a mistake.

>why are you being an asshole?
I'm being an asshole for asking for facts, proof and first hand experience in regards to a wild general claim you are making?

Oh boy.

Dude is probably reading some fucking Firefox optimization dns shit from 2010 that says to turn of ipv6.

Looking for problems that he doesn't have.

>You simply parrot what you read online from random people?
>Sounds like you really are a Gentoo user. Damn.
if you don't consider this being an asshole then i ask you to talk this way to your boss when he says something you might disagree with
yes, looking into it again this is exactly what i had read before. but i really don't give a shit about ipv6 right now. i'll care about it once i have to support it for clients but it's a non-issue for the time being.

I am very sorry for hurting you in your feels Pajeet.

Not him. You're right about misconfigured IPv6 being slow and unfortunately many cheap modems and sometimes even ISPs are broken.

I'm just used to fast, working IPv6 because I deliberately configured my router to do it properly.

If you don't need it, more power to you

The problem is if you're using Gentoo you might as well enable security features that make Linux not completely dogshit, so you "lose" out on all that extra performance.

No. Fuck off retard.

care to elaborate? id be interested to learn something new. doesn't happen much on Sup Forums though with everyone spouting drivel instead of having discussions

linux is secure by default so no need for that and make computer slow.

it's not about hurting my feelings, i don't give a shit. i'm just mad that the culture here is all meme / graphic card arguments / distro wars instead of discussion. if you understand more about a technology than me then do me a solid and tell me why i'm wrong.

also i'm half italian half polish so do with that what you will

What's your bmi? Just curious

>linux is secure
lel
Meanwhile the Android fork of Linux is seeing exploits every day. If Linux had even 25% marketshare there would be more exploits for it than you autists could count.

Nobody needs all that bloat, systemd stuff adds so much bloat avg Ubuntu startup had over 100 processes running, openrc systems without systemd bloat (consolekit,polkit,ect) has ~30 running with full webbrowse experience + music and stuff this is with a WM too tho.
And then we didn't even talk about the kernel everything is enabled while you only need 25% of that

Enabling things like stack smashing protection in the kernel and ALL programs is something you can do with Gentoo, but most Linux distributions don't do it either because it breaks shitty programs or because it has a 4% performance penalty.

I love how you just make up some arbitrary shit for the sake of shitposting.

Just need to start shitting outside and your transformation will be pajeet, er complete.

I doubt his boot time meaningfuly improved as that dolt just doesn't seem to know what's going on (on multiple other points as well). The fast tty he gets on gentoo is due to him having a compiled in kernel support for early graphics, on mint they get graphics once the driver module loads which happens like 2s later than on his riced system

It's true just boot up Ubuntu
Have you ever seen a mainstream distro kernel config ?
You don't need 70% of all that crap in your kernel