/retro/ - retrocomputing thread

I love restoring old computers, don't you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e4rw3d7mu28
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

that image offends me use a fucking shitbook fart

This.

Fucking use things the way they were intended.

>literally just a Z80 with a ROM, 2K RAM and some glue
>that keyboard
>all in a cute wedge shape to better facilitate the halting of door and door-like motion
Maybe it's not far from the truth
t. TS1000 owner

sexy mobo

There's even a Hungarian clone of it called the "Primo". Only 1000 were made.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

ah!~

sup /retro/
guy who had the military computer here
took apart the hard drive caddy (pic related)
swapped hard drives, and still nothing when trying to boot to it

however when I plugged it into a fresh install of winxp on a random desktop I had laying around (plugged in using internal IDE controller) I was able to copy over the entire drive no problem

pic from thread I posted in

no post?
hot damn

So where do you guys get old hardware from? I started searching for mainly old computers 2 years ago and I couldn't find anything besides an emachines with a K6-2 and a P4 shitbox.

they are getting hard to find indeed

look in your local university and/or institute and ask around

ebay

Been buying home computers left and right from the late 70's (so long before PC clones) onwards and never getting rid of anything, so no need get anything, except common components (capacitors, makeshift belts and such).

my oldest free obtained machine is spooky4 my amstrad ppc640

I have asked some relatives and friends, that's how I got the two functional machines that I have. Looking in universities sounds good though.

Ebay isn't an option for me since paypal ceased operation in my country in june due to the laws requiring them to have their servers(the ones that contain the data regarding transactions to and frim my country) in our country. At least paypal will be supposedly available again in 2017 .

Besides, the shitlords on ebay demand ludicrous amounts of money for old hardware. I mean old electronics in general are interesting but the prices on ebay are simply not worth it IMO.

yeah the prices are ridiculously high

How come new CPUs dont have more L2 cache than 20+ years old ones?

Related.

youtube.com/watch?v=e4rw3d7mu28

And how come you can't add L2 cache like this on a modern motherboard?

not very helpful I guess but is it still set up in the BIOS? it might just not be recognizing it, if it's got an old CPXXXX Conner drive I doubt it auto-detects

Latency is more important than capacity when it comes to CPU cache. They could make bigger L2 caches but that would result in higher latencies which nullifies the point of cache. Still, manufacturers are including big L3 caches, which are seemingly built with capacity in mind instead of latency(L3 caches still have much lower latencies than RAM.).

Hello again.

Nice keyboard.

We have reached a point where even distance can affect latencies. It would also require CPU sockets with really high amounts of extra pins.

Bigger caches bring more latency with them, and newer CPUs make up for it with roomy L3 cache. Big cache is good, but fast cache is... gooder.

Remember when Mendocino Celerons could run circles around Pentium IIs even at the same clock in certain applications? Even with a fourth of the L2, the speed that came with integrating it on the die and clocking it at full speed made all the difference for code that fit in it.

Off-chip cache is slower than molasses, especially that stuff that ran at the CPU's bus frequency.

Beat me to it, oh well.

>Beat me to it
Well-written explanations are always fun to read

Can you please upload the drive contents somewhere?

the prompt of my FreeDOS

wwww i was thinking that too

please don't it is confidential

The biggest-ass enter key

i soldered the voltage regulator BACKWARDS wwww

Does it at least boot? Does it use the old IDE or SATA? Do you have jumpers set correctly?

I think it uses IDE ^^; guessing on the conner drive

i suggest checking the fuse and make sure it works

You fucking nigger Sparky has been on this since you've been in your dad's dick

That keyboard on top, what is it? The caps look solid.

It's truly tragic that faggots live that long.

Nobody's allowed to bully them into suicide in high school any more.
Thanks, Obama.

fuckin obummer lettin in the mudslims

>being this triggered

I'm sure he don't know, because it's my pic.
It's a BTC5349 with foam and foil. The caps aren't that solid...

Being triggered is my job :^)

I've been thinking of putting a pine64 SBC in an old desktop case that has a Pentium 4. It'd be faster after all.

>t.

Please kids, only /retropol/ is allowed in this thread.

oh fucking christ what is that abomination of a human

I need help getting USB mass storage devices working in FreeDOS, can anyone help?

hmm there is USB drivers that DO exsist just do a little search

I have a bunch of old computers, most of which I have gotten working one way or the other.

The Libretto is pretty comfy, but the keyboard is just a little too small for extended typing.

For shitposting it's fine though.

Does that have ethernet? Or are you using a PCMCIA/Cardbus ethernet?

>don't you?
Not particularly

I'm using a PCMCIA card, a Linksys EtherFast 10/100. Works great.

I also have these bad girls:

who doesn't?

Do any interesting newton programs exist?

Stick around a while, they'll show up and let you know.

more like ronald reggin

renald "giv me ur weed" raegae

>using IE for anything but fucking with VRML
sounds like suffering desu

For good reason

Sinclair systems in general seemed to be pretty popular cloning targets in Warsaw Pact countries

what the fuck is all that??

the g*rman """language"""

An esset and an umlaut? It's a german keyboard, evidently.

It's kraut, brah

German letter for /ss/

>he does not know who Sparky is

>Does it use the old IDE or SATA?
Never seen a 386 with SATA before, unless using an adapter.

FreeDOS only supports custom fonts on EGA/VGA, right?

kek, you have bad memories from uploading drive content to Sup Forums?

>can't boot, but can read the HDD on any other computer.
Am i right?

Checked MBR? Bootflag set to the right partition?
Search for ranish partition manager, create a boot disk, boot from it, (save and) replace the MBR, set bootflag, try again.

>GAMES
War games? Share the software user!

retro thread also means only retro anime.

>C:\CD GAMES.GRP
>
>C:\GAMES.GRP\DIR/W
> Volume in drive C is OSDRIVE
> Volume Serial Number is 6660-6660
> Directory of C:\GAMES.GRP
>
> [TIC-TAC-TOE] [GIN RUMMY] [HEARTS] [BRIDGE] [THEATERWIDE BIOTOXIC AND CHEMICAL WARFARE]
> [CHECKERS] [CHESS] [POKER] [FIGHTER COMBAT] [GUERRILLA ENGAGEMENT] [BLACKJACK]
> [DESERT WARFARE] [AIR-TO-GROUND ACTIONS] [BRIDGE] [GLOBAL THERMONUCLEAR WAR]

>GLOBAL THERMONUCLEAR WAR

Hey dude, what's new?

Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess?

not much really....

Where do I get myself some pc-88/98 machines for cheap?

Hopefully fucking nothing that's posted in this thread

>Where do I get myself some pc-88/98 machines for cheap?
Japan.

Bought a gotek and a new rgb scart cable for my amiga 500 that i went home to fetch, Cant wait, but i ordered from spain and they are probably napping so no delivery until next year

That's nice, cheapo way to play OCS games.
Got 1MB RAM expansion?

Was the gotek preflashed? I'm having a hell of a time flashing mine.

Got 512k extra installed in the trapdoor

They didn't sell it unflashed, they had a dropdown that let you choose what firmware you wanted on it without any extra cost

That's awesome!

>1920x1440

>cheapo way
What's a better way?

CF card with WHDLoad and a Scandoubler/Flickerfixer?

Those where the days.

My dad is a retarded hoarder, for his stuff, all of my stuff that is left at home he throws away, the motherfucker kept a huge ass server rack he never used for like 15 years, meanwhile he throws away my workbench disk,a fully functional SNES and all other floppys i had for the amiga,and keeps that shit

Kek

That sucks, some hobo found a SNES

Show us the server rack.

Rack and timestamp or gtfo.