Hey, I have a question for y'all...

Hey, I have a question for y'all. So a few days ago I dropped my Galaxy S5 in a pool (I don't have an excuse for doing so, I was just careless while handling it near the pool) and it was probably in the water for 20-30 seconds, no more than that. It was powered on when I dropped it in, but when I took it out it was off. I took it apart and put it in rice as soon as I could, and have tried turning it on every 24 hours, but sadly every time I try to turn it on I get the usual start up appearance for about a second before the screen goes partially yellow and shuts off. At this point I'm fairly certain the phone is toast and Ill have to get a new one, which I don't really care about because I was going to get a new one anyways, but my real concern is my pictures and other things I have stored on my hard drive. I have a lot of pictures of my newborn daughter and family on it, as well as many other miscellaneous things stored on the phone that I would be devastated to lose. My question is, do you think that the data stored on the phone is recoverable, and is it possible to get it off the phone if it wont turn on? Side note, the phone probably short circuited, and the charger port is broken as well, so methods of getting the data off via transfer cable are also going to be useless.

have you tried putting it in dessicant?
drowning it in high % rubbing alcohol and letting it dry?
or microwaving it?

Tried desiccant, hasn't worked.
Don't plan on trying rubbing alcohol because I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be effective at this point.
I also don't plan on microwaving it because that just sounds fucking retarded.

so you haven't tried microwaving it

enjoy buying a new phone for no reason

>the data stored on the phone is recoverable
yes, it will be very expensive though

Enjoy being autistic

Approximately how much?

it could be possible, but sounds like it would take lots of extra parts (essentially a second working S5) and try and get shit to work.
Beyond that you might need someone with Rossman level of skill of knowledge to fix your phone.

Take it into a reputable repair shop and see what they tell you.

>touchwizz

I thought the s5 is waterproof though

>microwaving your phone
My grandpa did this and it exploded and his house smelled like shit for weeks

You fucked up you're not suppose to turn or even try to turn it on for at LEAST 3 days of drying.

Not to mention because it was pool water you have tons of chemicals that have likely formed a white jizz like stain on the components.

Just water resistant, not proof.
And the resistance is in place when the flap on the charging port is there and the back cover is on properly. Since it's over 2 years old of a phone by now, I'd imagine that the flap or the back cover may not work as intended anymore if they have been replaced.

>his house smelled like shit for weeks

that's the excuse he came up with

Probably. It's just going to be expensive. Next time store all your photos on an SD card which you can remove.
The key thing to using desiccant is to use a hair dryer. You want a continous flow of dry air.

You should have washed it with filtered water and left it on rice for at least 3 days without turning it on. Now it's gone

>put it in rice as soon as I could, and have tried turning it on every 24 hours

Congratulations, you killed your phone.
You are supposed to take out the battery, put it in the rice and submerge the rest of the phone is pure alcohol for at least 2 hours, then let it dry for 3 days before turning it on.

>He fell for the rice meme

One day I want you to try an experiment. I want you to combine a cup of rice (not parboiled) and a cup of water in a pot and, instead of cooking it, just leave it on the counter for a day. Almost none of that water will have been absorbed.

Why?

The starch in rice isn't water soluble and is bound up very tightly. Only with the application of heat, do they relax and begin to absorb water.

>submerge the rest of the phone in pure alcohol

wow

I bet you use Google Photos with auto backup from now on lmao.

I broke a phone from water recently as well. You're fucked as soon as you turn it on while it's still wet. That's why all the instructions tell you to let it dry for like a week. You shorted something.

I bet your motherboard and LCD connectors are corroded. Pool water is very hard on electronics. You can sometimes temporarily repair the damage enough to get the device to boot with a light cleaning. Watch some videos on youtube on how to disassemble the S5 (it's a pain in the ass because of the waterproofing, it opens from the front with a heatgun/blow dryer and spudger, so it's easy to break the LCD if you're not careful).

Get some denatured alcohol to clean it with, and a fresh toothbrush. Remove screws, disconnect the ribbon connectors once you're in, and GENTLY scrub them; corrosion makes parts weak, and you could make it worse by scrubbing it too hard. Scrub as much of the mobo as you like with denatured alcohol, just beware of corrosion. Clean off the corrosion gently. Dry with a can of duster first, and finish with low heat with a blow dryer.

Reassemble your phone. Your battery may be dead or discharged below operating voltage threshold, so you may need to boost it at a Batteries Plus. Otherwise go to any cell phone store, they all take older phones as buybacks and have decent batteries, shouldnt be a problem to find an S5, ask a sales clerk if you can borrow a buyback s5 battery of theirs to see if it turns on in their store, if they say no then try somewhere else.

If the phone heats up when you put the battery in, promptly remove that shit. If a short circuit developed then it could be hazardous to try and power it up. Use your best judgement. Don't store the phone with the battery in either, since house fires aren't worth the risk. Sometimes its not a problem, but I've seen some phones that heat up like hell when you replace the battery and the phone was liquid damaged. Fire extinguishers are handy if need be.

The liquid damage may have messed up the digitizer too, which is part of the LCD on a S5; so the touch input may have issues or may not work. If you have a lock code, it may not work when you try it, and then you may have to try a replacement LCD/Digi assembly to get it working. Depends on how badly corroded. If you open it up and the whole thing is green and white, then its probably toast. If you see small amounts of white buildup, it might be okay to work on.

Your shit is fucked and you're a retard. Kys.

The charging port is another concern. Make sure to clean it as well. If drivers install correctly then you're set, if it is unrecognized by your computer, then it's likely not going to work. Try a few different charging cables though, since damaged ports become picky and sometimes only the best cables will connect. Try using one that has less wear on it and hasn't been around forever.

Samsung SmartSwitch may help to access the device and to recover your photos too, since it can serve to bypass the touchscreen at times. Download it for your desktop, and try it to sync content if need be.

Good luck, be safe.

Time to upgrade to a moto g