/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

spins.fedoraproject.org/en/
youtube.com/watch?v=K1bH1Q1j8pk
youtube.com/watch?v=tAb7OID5lt8
youtube.com/watch?v=VjGSMUep6_4
youtube.com/watch?v=cegdR0GiJl4
blah/chunklist_ao.m3u8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Debian

lol why link the irc at all you get banned for just saying hello in that shit hole

How are the Fedora spins? I'm looking to try a bunch of different DEs in VM to see which one I prefer, and Fedora's website has a bunch of variants here:

spins.fedoraproject.org/en/

I'm pretty certain I don't want to use KDE, but I'm curious about LXDE, MATE, and xfce on Fedora. I tried xfce on Debian and I'm pretty sure I don't want to use Debian full time, but I've seen some very nice xfce desktop configurations so I wouldn't be opposed using that as my DE.

Only Windows 10 users get banned

Just installed arch because I couldn't figure out how to install debian. queer, but it happened.

what gui should I use, my /gnu/ friends?

What Linux application is this? No one fucking knows.. I've asked this like a week ago or so and got zero replies.

So, Sup Forumseniuses, what the fuck is this?

Daily reminder if you're done with training-wheels distros it's time to install Gentoo.

>what does this button do?...

GNOME with wayland

>KDE
Not even once.

>Chloe
god damn that bitch got so fat & ugly. disgusting 3dpu.

Dude if you know tge themes, you can customize caja, thunar ir even pcmanfm to look exactly like this.

The*

>Dude if you know tge themes, you can customize caja, thunar ir even pcmanfm to look exactly like this.
this is something stock.

I'm interested in a file manager that can show folders like this and then you can easily open folders without going down a level.

RARE STALLMAN!!

I like it. Dunno why would they even add an option to rotate widgets but it doesn't hurt to have more possibilities. They could use some antialiasing there though.

What's the best antivirus software for Ubuntu?

I think I have a virus because my mouse keeps moving on it's own (like when I scroll down it scrolls down then up a little), and my screen just crashed, leaving a completely blank screen with a single moving brown line on the left hand side .

That's the standard Linux on desktop experience.

> that tripcode
you must be 18 or older to use this site

Nemo has it

I'm not using a tripcode.

But I do like to suck dick though

Happy 25th birthday, Linux!

youtube.com/watch?v=K1bH1Q1j8pk

do i have to be bald or balding to be good at linux?

>Nemo has it
TY user!

Which one is this, user?

PS: This type of file view is from a Mac, right?

That's nemo, but dolphin, thunar and caja has it as well

I'm pretty sure that's also Nemo, it comes with the Cinnamon DE.

nope

(fuck me in the ass, please I'm so horny)

Cinnamon if you want a nice desktop out of the box.
Xfce if you're willing to spend an hour ricing it, but it will be faster (and smaller than LXDE on Debian for some reason).

It was nice until the fucking tranny at the end.

Yeah, whatever, can we get back on topic and talk about how horny I am? God damn.

She's also a Jew, lel.

>using the Autism OS

Any resources for rule34 on GNU&Linux?

*unzips dick*

here you go

thanks bro. EVERYONE PLEASE REMEMBER THIS! NOW AND FOREVER:

F U C K M E
U
C
K
Y
O
U

Holy shit I just read the mail replies.....

I think the autism memes are actually fucking true.

Thinking of installing Linux (Ubuntu) for the first time. Kinda anxious desu. Only ever used Windows before

Please read OP's post. It has all the things you need to know.

Why not give 'her a spin in a virtual machine until you're comfortable then?

Are you trolling or just retarded?

Neither

Ubuntu has a live cd.
You can test it before you install.
And by test it, I don't mean look at the desktop and decide if it's pretty.
See if all your hardware works, if you can find software you need in the repos, etc.

Gonna wipe my entire hard disk and install Gentoo. I pray to GNU I won't regret it.

Why doesn't anyone use Kubuntu?

Just keep in mind running it from the live CD (or more likely USB decide) will be slower than running it off the HDD or SSD so don't judge the performance based on the live environment.

KDE a shit

>ebin
ebin

It;s the future though? Would you say it's worse than unity? Are you XFCE? Show yourself.

What's that icon theme?

Same here, not gay though.

IT'S SHIT

SHIT

YOU'RE SHIT, FAGGOT

no u

>Are you XFCE
MY IDENTIFY HAS BEEN COMPROMISED

ABORT MISSION

I REPEAT ABORT MISSION

Maia, they forked KDE's breeze

I could use a bit of help.

I have 2 hard drives. On one I have Windows and OpenSUSE installed, and I just installed Kubuntu on my second drive because I can't into SUSE. My plan was to install Kubuntu on my second drive, wipe my first drive, and do a fresh Windows install on it, so that instead of having separate partitions for my OSes, I'd just have one OS on each drive.

My problem though is that Kubuntu only boots when I choose to boot from the first drive, and nothing happens when I choose the second. And I can no longer boot into Windows at all. My first thought was that I fucked up and installed Kubuntu to my first drive, but it is indeed installed on my second drive, it just boots from the first drive for some reason. How do I get it to boot from the second drive and have Windows boot from the first?

I'm writing an article for a Linux magazine.

I need nice looking vector diagrams.
What programs are there besides Dia, with nicer looking stock icons?
Dia icons look so dated.

Nevermind, I found out where I fucked up. I installed the bootloader to the first drive.

Before I remedy the situation by going back to gnome.

Is there a way to stop the screen tearing in xfce? I heard some people suggest using compton. Is that a definite fix?

youtube.com/watch?v=tAb7OID5lt8

Compton is a pretty good fix. I recommend it before you have to use something you don't like.

youtube.com/watch?v=VjGSMUep6_4

What's a good KDE-like light DE?

Quick, list the pros and cons of these distros

>ubuntu

>fedora

>void

>slackware

>GhostBSD

install gentoo

trinity

You mean how to apply patches? Just git diff file
What exactly do you want to change?
First git clone the thing, then cd there, then
cp config.def.h config.h
Then nano config.h and change the stuff you want and then package and install it.

Anyone here moved from Debian to Arch? My impression of Arch is that it's more of a tweaker's distro than Debian.

Looking for something that just werks and I've been enjoying the Arch liveCD, not sure if I'd be ok with full-time though.

I think that is just playing along with a joke.

Wow Compton was pretty straightforward to configure and fixed the tearing.

Because opensuse is a much better distro

Thread needs a track youtube.com/watch?v=cegdR0GiJl4

>I've been enjoying the Arch liveCD

kde is lightweight

>ubuntu
its ubuntu
>fedora
its fedora
>void
its void
>slackware
its slackware
>ghostbsd
its ghostbsd

Is it me or is Linux shit at torrenting?
Or is it Transmission?
Ever since I switched from windows 8.1 to ubuntu, it's been slow. I compared it to my other laptop running 8.1 and it was faster.

>Is it me or is Linux shit at torrenting?
It's you.

tixati, you're welcome.

lel kill yrself

Whis is this thread so fucking slow today

Why cant I boot any newer distro other than ubuntu 12.04? Ive tried Manjaro, Fedora 24 Workstation, Ubuntu 16.04, and Ubuntu 14.04.

1090T @ 3.6Ghz & Crossfire 2GB HD6950

mkinicpio cant pick nouveau as a module,saying its not found when generating the initramfs
I removed all traces of nvidia.
I have mesa and xf86-video-nouveau installed;I just want to get rid of nvidia

More info needed.

No live cd's will boot to a gui or anything other than 12.04 which boots all the way to a full unity desktop. All the other ones will start to boot after selecting start but at some point the screen shuts off and goes into power saving mode. I cant ctrl+alt+F# to get to a terminal.

What is a decent non-overpriced mechanical keyboard for linux?

model m from goodwill/flea market/thrift store

Its talking about the kernel module not the Xorg drivers.

Are there any window managers that don't look like shit by default?

Why would a window manager look good or bad? The clue is in the name.

Wipe bios desu

Anyone know a music player that has some decent visualizers? There's nothing I've found with a decent spectrum analyzer

I've tried ncmpcpp but it keeps locking up on me for some reason

Will Dell refuse my XPS 13 DE order if I put in my name as the company name?

use rtorrent user

Man, I really wanna switch from Unity, but I'm a sucker for the global menu ... too bad the xfce global menu is shit

>she

I am doing like this:

while [ 1 ]; do ffmpeg -re -i blah/chunklist_ao.m3u8 -legacy_icecast 1 -c:a copy -content_type "audio/aac" -f adts icecast://127.0.0.1:8080/stream.aac; done;

in order to restream a HLS stream to my Icecast server. I need to modify it to terminate when I get a specific error from ffmpeg that causes it to become stuck and not terminate on it's own. How can I do that?

deadbeef, ffplay