Threads for desktops keep disappearing, so sorry if someone already started a new one

Threads for desktops keep disappearing, so sorry if someone already started a new one.

Post em if you got em boys.
In case it's some site volunteer deleting the threads, this one fits all the rules of Sup Forums because in this one we discuss the technology and science called usability.

For example, we will point out to any Mac desktops that they should read up on Fitt's law and then try to defend the menu bar in OS X.

Of note in my desktop: tabbed windows which allows a user to group like-tasked windows into one

Other urls found in this thread:

mac.elated.com/2008/08/14/10-usability-lows-of-mac-os-x/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nice idea of a thread, would be really interested in seeing the desktops of Sup Forums.

still better than 99% of g

Hmm, what happens if you go to a website that's bright white. Does it hurt your eyes after they get used to all the black?

Will Sup Forums ever be great again?

Phone desktop

I don't have too terribly much negative to say about this desktop usability-wise, but I really think you should grow up regarding the anime stuff.

Can you post one gtk proggy and one qt app open so I can see how they fit in?

seig heil lmao

This desktop is one I don't like, I really don't like the idea of opening a picture just to fit in with your theme. Also does that gtk font get annoying to read when working? Why are the icons so small in comparison to the overall dock height? Why do you have what appears to be 2 start buttons?

>Papierkorb

I think user was perhaps showing you the inspiration for the color palette? If not I agree with you.

ugggh, literal perfection. I wish I could use Ubuntu on Windows >_>

laptop desktop

delet this, this desktop is simply an ``excuse'' to post anime on the technology board.

It's a desktop.

It has a toolbar and everything.

that's a desktop don't you see the bar
pic related is my desktop

Which window managers support tabbing that you know of?
I know of:
compiz (via a plugin called grouping, it's almost like tiling)
fluxbox
kwin

I think one of the mainstream tiling wms supports it too but I can't remember which.

You can pry my menu bar from my clammy, Macfag hands, OP.

How can you stand to use a Mac? Have they fixed the mouse acceleration problems yet? Combined with all the inefficiency of moving your mouse to the top of the screen then back into your window all the time, it's a real teeth-grinder.

> the inefficiency of moving your mouse to the top of the screen then back into your window all the time
why would you need to do that

Since no one gave you feedback, I'll jump...

I personally enjoy the following:
No anime background
No pastel color theme
No 1991 terminal font for entire UI

By omission, you get a thumbs up from me. Burgers are nice too.

but the background being a similar color

>premature post
background color being similar would make it hard to use for me personally, straight forward and good nonetheless.

It's how you get to the program's menus. If you need to get to the menu of a non-focused window it's even worse.
>move mouse to window
>click (no sloppy focus)
>move mouse to top of screen
>move mouse back into window

hide the icons in titlebars

You could just run a barebones VM in the background and ssh into it.

I know this, but the integrated Ubuntu install is the only feature I wish I had (Enterprise LTSB here)

I can't stand using any other OS. Additionally, no experienced OS X user uses the mouse to navigate within the menu bar, or to do anything really. OS X is built from the ground up for keyboard navigation. knows what's up.

You've clearly never actually used OS X, let me explain; If you clicked into one of the menus like, one time, you would see that all of the selections have keyboard shortcuts associated with them. Many of the shortcuts are semi-universal between applications, and many haven't changed since the late 80s.

>You've clearly never actually used OS X
I have, but for a limited time because it was so awful!
>to unmount a drive you drag it to the trash can. WTF, you'd think this would delete the volume
>menus disappear if you click the separator bar between two menu options
>dialog windows hard to use, cannot necessarily use keyboard to select all options (a la windows with holding alt key then pressing an underlined key)
>awful keyboard controls in general. Try using iCal with only a keyboard lol.
>if you have 2 monitors you still only get 1 menu bar which makes the mouse acceleration bug even worse as it can take over 9000 years to get things done and causes RSI
>home and end keys don't work on a line basis, but a whole document basis. Retarded
>can't even do basic things like rename a file in an open/save dialog box
>cannot cut and paste in finder, only copy and paste. Fucking waste of time to have to go back and delete it after copying
>Non-intuitive Print dialog. How do I print multiple copies? Oh, I have to click a little arrow to the right of the currently-selected printer – which you’d have thought would change printers, but no, it brings up the hidden print options. And talking of the Print dialog, why can’t you move focus to the “PDF” drop-down menu with the Tab key?
>Shift-clicking to select a range of files in Finder doesn't work if in icons view, you have to switch to a different view

This is all from my limited time using it before I rage quit and decided to only ever use OS X over ssh.

what themes are you using?

qtcurve for kwin, gtk, and qt
fushigi for plasma
elementary for icon theme I think

now i can trash my arch vm

>laptop desktop
a-are you using vertical screen on your laptop, user?

Good taste in lolis at least

S-stop stuttering on the internet, you look like a tool.

Still disgusted that the anime posts above haven't been deleted yet.

s-sorry, senpai

Nothing wrong with it

>to unmount a drive you drag it to the trash can. WTF, you'd think this would delete the volume
Command+E
>>menus disappear if you click the separator bar between two menu options
What does this even mean?
>dialog windows hard to use, cannot necessarily use keyboard to select all options (a la windows with holding alt key then pressing an underlined key)
Again, you just don't know the keyboard shortcuts
>>if you have 2 monitors you still only get 1 menu bar which makes the mouse acceleration bug even worse as it can take over 9000 years to get things done and causes RSI
This was fixed 3 or 4 years ago, and the mouse acceleration isn't a fucking bug.
>home and end keys don't work on a line basis, but a whole document basis. Retarded
People still use home and end keys?
>can't even do basic things like rename a file in an open/save dialog box
Yes, you can.
>Non-intuitive Print dialog. How do I print multiple copies? Oh, I have to click a little arrow to the right of the currently-selected printer – which you’d have thought would change printers, but no, it brings up the hidden print options. And talking of the Print dialog, why can’t you move focus to the “PDF” drop-down menu with the Tab key?
Command+P is all anyone ever needs, also why are you printing things? Saving as a PDF is supported natively by almost all apps, going to the print dialogue to print a PDF is like 2001 era OS X.
>Shift-clicking to select a range of files in Finder doesn't work if in icons view, you have to switch to a different view
Also false, it works in every view in the exact same way.

It sounds like you haven't used OS X since the mid-2000s at the latest, and you didn't actually 'use' it when you did. If you're going to make a shit-list, at least make sure ~80% of it is accurate, man.

yes.

Yuuji I feel bad for you, I think you're forever 14.

Why?

>It sounds like you haven't used OS X since the mid-2000s at the latest
Yeah no shit, why would I force myself to use shit that sucks? I promise if I used OS X today I'd be able to make just as long a list, but why the fuck would I want to use OS X?

That's okay, I think that too sometimes. I'm just glad I'm not forever autistic.

pls give wallpaper

don't bully jordan

shut up you are forever autistic, no normal person would call themselves xlx shady xlx

pls r8 mine

>osu!
Kys

>getting this btfo

>implying I got btfo when I just copypasted something that came up when I googled for os x usability issues

>Implying you didn't get btfo
>pretending to be retarded

pretty fucking shit/10, user

Desktop threads are banned, you fucking dumbass. Try and call it technology any way you want, they're still banned.

mac.elated.com/2008/08/14/10-usability-lows-of-mac-os-x/

get trolled more, newbie

Implying war: The posts.

Your hotpockets have been dispatched to your address.

Keep up the good work buddy, if you keep doing this you might just become an unpaid volunteer.

>posting with a username
>getting btfo
>backpedaling this hard
>using google

the list goes on

i have found it

what is that image downloader?

>#
This is the number one reason desktop threads are cancerous is because they're filled with fucking retards that have come up with the shittiest meme to have ever existed.

another hotpocket has been dispatched to your address

thank you for your co-operation

i should probably give more of a shit

>two clox
xdddd

i-i like to see the seconds...

hund??

Shout out to spotify for not giving a shit about their web app

slow thread lads

And if Arch is your distro

Sheiße

what fucking nazi cunt mods/janis do we even have fucking operating this shitty imageboard, Sup Forums and the whole damn site?

desktop threads are harmless, sure it's weeb there's no good reason to unjustly prohibit desktop threads on Sup Forums first and then on fucking /w/ next they're prohibited there now too.

these mods and janitors we have these days are absolute dicks, assholes and cunts these days and are clearly unconscious as fuck. they don't have their fucking heads on right

jesus christ. get it the fucking fuck together.

I think it's cute user

cute/10

Do you even know why they got banned in the first place? It's a pretty good reason.

Not him, but care to elaborate? The threads on other boards are pretty dead now, so I find it kind of a let down

because they were sick of ur bad desktops

a hotpocket has been dispatched to your address

unpaid volunteers like you keep this website safe and family friendly thank you for your co-operation

It's the only reason I came to Sup Forums though

Please tell me the reason

I always feel like there's something more I could do to make it better, but any changes I make inevitably get discarded. I feel like I could easily get used to just using a WM.

They were spammed to death by anime on Sup Forums, then when desktop threads got banned/auto-saged here the spammers moved to /w/ and ruined desktop threads there. I think they moved to /trash/ now.

Not bad for KDE

Care to share the Pape?

This is what your typical desktop thread became because of the awful shitposters and spammers.

unpaid volunteers like you keep this website safe and family friendly thank you for your co-operation

What the fuck is up with this retarded hotpocket meme?

What the fuck?
That's not even desktops

is this thing on

Just one of the autistic shitposters (probably ben)

hello readit.

learn to use google jesus christ

>mason the manchild calling anyone autistic

watafak

There is literally 0 desktops. It was that bad on Sup Forums? I had a lot of fun in the threads a year ago or so.

Yeh

>that tfw when you forget how to count

why would they post desktops if they've all already seen them a million times
post when you make something new/change something, what's the point of posting the same thing over and over every thread

Just in the final days.

It really exemplifies what I think is wrong with this board. "It's an anime website bro!" doesn't excuse being an off topic cunt and I think a lot of people forget that.

Wish mods would just lay the smack on off topic posting like that and make a sticky publicly stating.