Mechanical Pencil Thread

What is the best mechanical pencil you have used? Do you have a preferred type of lead? Also mechanical pencil thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/pencil/2039566612.html
amazon.com/Pentel-GraphGear-Automatic-Drafting-PG525A/dp/B0006HXQXA
encrypted.google.com/search?q=rotring lava
amazon.com/TUL-0-7mm-Mechanical-Pencils-2-Count/dp/B002VL6960/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472196705&sr=8-3&keywords=tul pencil
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i like these bic because they're cheap and i don't write much

pic related is based. generally use hb 0.5 lead my daily driver. If it gets lost or stolen I'm only out ~10 bucks

Sure looks beautiful, ebay's showing 25€ price

i've used all the rotrings a twsbi a montblanc mechanical pencil and i always go back to my kuru toga
metal pencils are just way too heavy to be ergonomic desu
that being said my go to writer is my montblanc ballpoint followed by my 149

>best mechanical pencil you have used
I use the uni shift 0.7mm right now and it is by far my favourite, but i don't have a long history of mech pencils to speak of.
>preferred type of lead
just regular hb 0.7mm is fine for me, i only do annotations and circuit diagrams really

I got the uni shift because it has a somewhat unique locking mechanism which is both oddly satisfying and also hides away the metal nib which solved my problem of having holes torn in my pockets by mech pencils. Also its quite comfy, the metal grip feels sturdy and solid which i like.
Its cheap and part of the uni lineup which is reliable so yeah i liked it and thought it would be great for my light use.

Zebra Z905. Went through all 4 years of high school with the same one.

This
It's been my daily driver for 4 years now, once stolen and one broken
Only gripe is that the threads are plastic will wear out if you unscrew then often

That is shit. I have both the Rotring 600 and the Graphgear 1000. The TIP WOBBLES on the fucking 1000.

you can get a knockoff for $8 from ali
aliexpress.com/item/pencil/2039566612.html

i had one it felt and worked great until the metal tip broke off

0.5mm is shit, 1.2 does not break often, its also much comfier

Rotrings wears down my knuckle real quick. Highly overated.

Kuru Toga made from superior Nipon steel folded over 1000 times.

Recommend me smoe good cheap pencils from Aliexpress. I'll be using it for drawing mostly.

I'm poor.

Currently have a Kuru Toga, Graphgear 1000 (had a 500) and a Rotring 600. I'd suggest just getting a legit one than a knockoff the best value is the Graphgear 500 (the ONLY fault I can find in it is that the grip is a bit "high"). I also heard VERY good reviews of the Steadler 925 but I don't own one yet.

You can find it for fucking 4 bucks. It's a steal imo.
amazon.com/Pentel-GraphGear-Automatic-Drafting-PG525A/dp/B0006HXQXA

I had to look in my drawer to even see what I use.

It's a mix of Staedtler, Alvin, and Bic.

Amazon

i don't seem to have this issue at all but ofc ymmv, i don't press down very hard when i use pencils or pens for that matter

I don't press down very hard either. The wobble is very small and can easily go unnoticed if you don't pay attention (I had two of them). I just know it's there and that irks me.

my handwriting is shit, much more legible when i use smaller lead size and better lead prevents breaking
pic related is my handwriting, 0.5 lead makes it (much more) legible

p.s.i should really make one post before i reply to 3 different people in 3 different posts back to back

Jesus fucking Christ... Have you considered killing yourself? I could write better when i was 8

Kurutoga Roulette master race

Are you a doctor? lawls.

going into medicine actually
lel yeah ik it's absolute shit, I generally write better when an assignment isn't due in 15 minutes and has to be written in pen

Rotring or bust, I've had mine for coming up on 5 years.

>What is the best mechanical pencil you have used?
P20X series, just werk and perfect ergonomics
>Do you have a preferred type of lead?
Pentel Ain Stein, 2B because I'm fucking blind
For erasing I just the black Pentel Hi-Polymer erasers
I had a 500, great one though the plastic body was kind of disappointing, I never liked the 1000 wobble due to the retract mecanism
>Recommend me smoe good cheap pencils from Aliexpress. I'll be using it for drawing mostly.
Red Dot anything, they're cheap Rotring's clones

Kuru toga, but in my experience HB lead is way too hard and doesn't leave a dark enough mark.

Lava master race

What's the deal with this thing? Is it some really nice pencil aside from the rotating lead gimmick, or is that the whole thing that people swoon over?

I used to think I was the coolest kid in class for using a mechanical pencil

what is the pen on the right?

hello grandpa

>says rotring on the pen
>says lava in the post
encrypted.google.com/search?q=rotring lava

damn those are some expensive pens.

Just got a P207 at the store (it was the only one in stock). Definitely looking to get a Rotring 600 and possibly a Staedtler 925 in the near future too. The 207 is decent, but maybe I just expected too much of it.

Pentel P207/209 depending on what I'm doing.

I used to write like shit, too.
A couple things that helped me improve a lot.

First is to slow the fuck down when writing. I used to try to write as fast as I thought
Write slowly and legibly.
Think of it as typing for the first time.
You gotta start slow and properly. If you try to type fast as you can, you're gonna type like shit
So start slow, and eventually you'll get more comfortable to write faster.
Slow is steady, steady is something something steady is fast

Second is make sure you're holding your pen correctly. Most people who write like shit hold their pen like shit and you'd might as well be writing with your feet

Third, use your fingers to write and not your hand.
I used to write with my fingers don't jack shit and my hand do the writing for me.

Fourth, let the pen do the writing.
Don't push down on the paper, you're just causing yourself to slip and slide everywhere.
A good pen will write with the smallest of pressure. Let the pen do its think and use your fingers to guide the tip where it has to go

Last, don't think about where the tip is, think about where it's going to go. If you preemptively think about your strokes, you'll find it much more fluid.

It's a fucking pencil, it wont make your art any better

It's nice to invest in things you use extensively daily. My keyboard doesn't make me type any better but I'd definitely rather spend $100 on buckling springs than $20 on some rubber dome shit.

>art
Where do you think you are

My handwriting was only that bad because I was in a rush; it generally looks closer to this.

>FUD

Rotring 600 master race? Got this pencil because it has great weight to it, looks cool and gives me more motivation to study.

Great pencil if you're careful. My friends dropped 2-3 times and bent the tip (they always do this shit AFTER you tell them to be careful with it) but I've bent it back into shape with success by pushing it against the table.

I've had it for a year+ (in fact, today is the day I ordered it on amazon last year, just checked). The pencil runs great, the part where you grip it with your index finger has gone from black to a bit gold. The 'rotring' text has also completely faded.

For the first week or so, it can be a bit hard to write with, esp. if you're like me and grip pencils really hard. But you get used to it, and the soreness in your index finger goes away as you learn to not grip so tight.

God damn you for make me write all that
God damn you to hell!

What's your opinion on the 1000? Think I'm gonna pick one up

sorry about that, i said that i generally write better

love it, i was the first one in the thread to mention it, looks great and writes really well. It's my daily driver for a reason

rotring 800 checking in. Retractable tip was worth it over the 600

I have a lot of mechanical pencils, but I have switched to lead holders.

The pencil I keep on me is a Faber Castell TK 4600. I usually use 8H or 2H lead in it. With a lead holder I can get much finer lines, because the lead is sharpened. The lines are less than half as thick as the lines from my .3mm pencils.

How do you extrude lead with this thing? The back looks like an eraser cap and the side thing looks like a clip

the back is used for extruding that lead as you put it and the clip is used to retract the tip

also, pic related (the paper mate ofc)

I dropped mine and the tip broke off. I got a metal tip from some cheap broken pencil and super glued it in place.

These are what I use for drawing.
I've gone through mountains of pencils and these are hands down the best.

Pentel Twist-Erase used to be the no.1 pencil for ages, but then I got the Graphgear 500.
It gets more accurate lines than the Twist-Erase, but only slightly.
It's practiaclly a draw between them, since the Graphgear metal grip can start feeling a bit rough after hours of constant drawing.
Both top of the line pencils.
p205 is my backup pencil, but it's a tad too light for my liking. Still great though. I like how slender it is.
The Staedler lead holder I like to use when I need to do some small as fuck accurate details or shading.
Unfortunately it's a bitch to sharpen, because the hard lead destroys sharpeners and the lead itself dulls easily.

Good thing about these Pentel pencils is that they last practically forever.
I think I have had this Twist-Erase for at least a decade. They just don't break.

>the back is used for extruding that lead
So it's annoying to use the eraser then?
>the clip is used to retract the tip
How?

seconding for pentel twist erase, forgot about those after my 4th got stolen

not at all, it's stiff enough to use the eraser but not too stiff to make clicking difficult but i generally prefer using a dedicated eraser pic related can be had around this time of year at (insert office store here) 3 for $1.50 and work well

And none of you fucks tried/have the Ohto?

Thoughts on the Pentel P205?

It's mainly the rotating gimmick. It's as comfy as a typical mechanical pencil and you can get them for about $10 on Amazon. The lead they come with is really smooth, though.

>or is that the whole thing that people swoon over?

this.

It isn't a gimmick it is the future.

rOtring 600 0.5mm, Pentel 2B lead.

What's the beast lead size for every day use?

Not him but a place that loves to draw dicks.

god damn it.

i've been eyeing kurutogas and other fancy mechanical pencils but there's no chance in hell i will buy one.

in the third world shithole i was born in, they tax you 40% on shit you import, plus 40 bucks just because, plus 5% of the money you transfer abroad

so realistically speaking a 10 bucks would be around 60 bucks considering a somewhat cheap shipping.

fucking hell.

this thing fucking sucks

>Red dot anything
Do you have any links to anything? I already have a redcircle clone of the rotring 600, but would like to possibly get some other crap as well.

What's the t420 of mechanical pencils? Is it the one in the OP picture?

I just use regular .7 lead pencils that you buy from Walmart or some shit, usually use them until they run out of lead and switch.

Just got a graph gear 1000 off Amazon, any other good pencils under $15 with a retractable tip?

I typically have a pencil in my jeans pocket so I'm not tryna break the tip and jab myself in the leg

Unless you are an artist or in elementary school, you have no excuse for using a pencil over a pen.

>mah erasing!
Pain in the ass smudge bullshit. Just cross it out like a man and rewrite.

This is the lead pointer that I use:

www.ebay.com/itm/1-New-Handheld-Desktop-w-mount-Lead-Pointer-Drafting-Drawing-Free-Shipping-/261079863151

Lead basically never breaks when using it. It is the only sharpener that I do not have that issue with when using hard lead. I have sharpened up to 10H lead with it with no issue.

It is much easier to get finer lines with a pencil, especially when you are using hard lead. The only pen that I have that makes lines as fine as my lead holder is a dip pen, and that would not be very practical to carry on me.

>It's a fucking pencil, it wont make your art any better
I haven't drawn at all for years now, but clicking a mechanical pencil is much faster than sharpening a pencil, and a good one won't jam and slow you down
2expensive4me
They look GOAT though
The old Thinkpad of mechanical pencil
Industry standard, have been around 5ever, just werk and are reliable as fuck, and like old/used Thinkpads they're cheap and everywhere
0.5 and 0.7 mm, they're the most common and thus easy to find, and their size it's just right
Get 0.7 if you tend to break leads
>in the third world shithole i was born in, they tax you 40% on shit you import, plus 40 bucks just because, plus 5% of the money you transfer abroad
You sure? Usually tax won't apply on items below certain price in most countries, and if your stuff is shipped through your countries mail service it's quite probable that customs won't even check it
>Pain in the ass smudge bullshit.
>using the shittest erasers you can find
Even you $0.10 Wal-Mart erasers work just fine nowadays
>Just cross it out like a man and rewrite.
Enjoy your clusterfuck
They're premium and bretty expensive, probably the best build quality out there, though unlike T420's you won't find cheap used ones
>The only pen that I have that makes lines as fine as my lead holder is a dip pen
You should try some of those jap needle point rollerballs, like the Hi-Tec-C, they make them in 0.25 mm iirc

Check your local bookstores or department stores. Kuru Togas are especially easy to come by.

I like this small one for most of what I write.

And two Staedtler 925 25, size -03 and -20).

>You should try some of those jap needle point rollerballs
I have tried those, but the line is still much thicker. The ink flows and becomes wider than the point of the pen on the page. With a dip pen it can be thinner because of the shape of the nib. The nib is a sharp point instead of being round.

Fountain pens can also have fine lines, but I have not seen any fountain pens that are as fine as the dip pens that I have used.

Ten years old pencil
Still feel good

Picture of the Staedtler.

I have dozens of other models, but these are what I kinda settled on for actual use.

Ah, and actually I also use a uni jetstream 4&1 occasionally, but that's just 'cause it's a good pen for smaller annotation tasks.

What's the difference between the Rotring 500, 600 and 800?

I remember the lead used to get stuck.

Nevermind, just found out the 500 is plastic and 600 is metal.

What would be the reason to get an 800 over the 600?

>$40 dollar pencils
>2nd grade handwriting
>Sup Forums

Sup Forums used to have good handwriting threads, there was that furry artist and the cursive fag.
Anyway I use a rotring 600 with B leads and a graphgear 1000 with HB leads. I occasionally use a faber-castell contura with 0.35mm leads.

Are you fags still in school/college?

retractable tip which means you don't have to deal with bent tips when you throw it in your bag.

Nope. I actually haven't used a pen or pencil in a few years. Doesn't mean I can't participate in a thread that catches my interest.

Thanks for the info.
Think I'll look into getting one of those.
Practically all sharpeners I've had have lost their edge after reletively few uses.
I've heard other people say the same.

So they're charging twice the price for just that? God damn it.

bend enough tips and it will have eventually paid for itself. especially given how long the rest of the pencil should last.

>Are you fags still in school/college?
No, which is why I'm now mostly writing shorter notes and shopping lists and generally annotating documents for the great paper war that is life.

You may live in a country that has little need for accounting and lots of bribery (or be richfag and delegate it all to your staff or whatever), but here life requires a lot of paperwork, and scribbling shit on paper is an efficient way to manage much of it.

They should just make the tip out of tungsten carbide and be done with it.

your probably right about that and it would probably raise the cost on the thing a little bit.

Okay, the pencil on the far left is the rOtring 600, but what the hell are the two things on the right?

>had a rotring 600 rollerball pen
>lost it years ago
I'm still fucking mad

My "EDC"

Looks like a rotring 600 fountain pen.

I don't know about best, but here's the WORST.

It worked fine for a while, but the bitch jammed up after just a couple leads and there's no way to get into the auto-feed mechanism to clean it out. Came in a 2-pack, and both did the same thing.

2mm

I use Officemax's Tul line of mechanicals. They're pretty cheap and look decent, and unlike most mechanicals they feel solid.

That disgusting tumblr nose.

TUL makes my favorite, the whole body is a rubbery grib that feels really good, theres some shock absorber mechanism in the lead dispenser that prevent breakage to a good extent, the clip is removable, its really balanced, the eraser is really long and has a rotary function to extend it. Ive been using the same one for about 3 years daily, I am super surprised i havent lost it.

amazon.com/TUL-0-7mm-Mechanical-Pencils-2-Count/dp/B002VL6960/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472196705&sr=8-3&keywords=tul pencil