I'm getting a Xiaomi phone soon. But what interets me is trustworthiness of the fingerprint reader...

I'm getting a Xiaomi phone soon. But what interets me is trustworthiness of the fingerprint reader. It sounds like a cool feature, but I don't particularily want Chinese gov to store my fingerprint. Should I just not use it? Or use a different finger or the opposite hand? I never been interrogated by the police – do they check all fingers? I'm not sure, but they seem to have different patterns.

If you're concerned about privacy, don't use a smartphone

Don't trust anything related to biometrics unless the source code is available.

> Should I just not use it?
You shouldn't use your fingerprints or any other biometric auth for anything serious: you can't lose it, but you can't change it either. Police can get it from you without your consent.

Okay… what if I accidentally touch it though? I wanted to get a Xiaomi Redmi 3S (I'm poor as fuck and it sounds like a good deal), but maybe I should go for Redmi 3 without the S? The problem is I'm not sure if I can get Android 6 on it… also it has no real gyro and I wanted to try out the cardboard gimmickry.

I forgot to mention that Redmi 3 has no fingerprint sensor, but I'm not sure if you can read it from the context.

This
They can't get your password but your Fingerprint.
Although with miui8 I have a fake desktop setup with all 10 fingers. If I want to get into my real desktop I have to press my foreskin on the sensor to unlock. Let them find that

Umm, that still won't make you private because they know both desktops are on the same phone so…

>but I don't particularily want Chinese gov to store my fingerprint
Why would they want fingerprints from people outside china?
Pretty sure they have no interest in it and pretty sure they don't share it with western agencies like the NSA, so no real need to worry here.

>but I don't particularily want X to store my fingerprint.
then you best be fighting hard against biometrics for anything in all forms
start by not supporting botnet devices with evil features such as dedicated fingerprint scanners

Yeah… that's better than iPhone for example, where you can't even avoid getting your fingerprints scanned because the scanner is on the home button.

Can't you just scrape the scanner with a knife?

Can't you get a case that covers the fingerprint reader? I'm not sure but the 3 and 3S have the same shape I believe and thus a 3 case would cover the fingerprint reader I think.

Should anyone even consider getting a Redmi 3s when the Redmi 4 has been leaked and will probably release in a few months?

Really? Not just the Note version? It's probably going to have a fingerprint reader too though…

Good idea desu, but cases in general are unpleasant to my aesthetic sense. But privacy is more important…

Just put an autistic sticker on the fingerprint scanner

I don't know, I think just the Note version was announced but leaks say there's a standard "redmi 4" planned. Admittedly I don't know when it'll be available to order online or any other information, but that's what has me holding out because I was going to order a 3s too until I heard about the announcement.

I'll wait until Christmas then… but I hate my fucking Windows Phone more and more every day.

Any speculations when the Redmi 4 will come out?

Sd or mt?

Snapdragon or Mediatek*

Mediatek probably…