Lamps are technology, which lamp do you use?

lamps are technology, which lamp do you use?

pic related, anker lumos e1

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B01AUHKZCU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminant_D65
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_illuminant
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_point
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature#Correlated_color_temperature
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index
youtube.com/watch?v=0TVR-m5jPBU#t=0m34s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I just go to bed once it's too dark to work and wake up with the sunrise.

thats really good

I hate that soft yellow light. Bright, white 4 lyf.

Why is it so easy to define colors like red, blue and green by wavelength, but there's no real definition for "white"?

I got lots of lava lamps
100w incandescent
20w t12 3500k florescent

Fucking faggot!

Link this lamp, I'm in the market for one and I need this

yellow light is same concept as night mode on the iphoen or flux, reduces blue light so you can fall asleep

amazon.com/dp/B01AUHKZCU

im looking at one too actually

Every stall on the boot has a lamp for 50p
What U buying one for?

> doesn't ship internationally

fuck. pic in OP sold me immediately.

Soft yellow light is god tier.

Anyone tried the other lumos lamps (other than the e1)?

Ikea Tertial. I have the same lamp on my bedside table. Clamps to the edge so it has almost no footprint and you can maneuver it across the entire desktop

40w GE Reveal in it usually, switched to an Ikea 400 lumen led but it's a little too yellow for my taste.

My body goes to sleep when I tell it to.

TOTAL

SELF

MASTERY

>but there's no real definition for "white"?
White is the mixture of all colors. If you saw all colors with an equal intensity, that would be real white. But that is not what we are usually dealing with, so our white is always tinted.

>easy to define colors like red, blue and green by wavelength
I mean, sure 550 nm is green and 700 nm is red, but where does green end and red start? Is 600 nm red with a bit of green in it?

very nice, are the joints any good?

2nd gen Philips Living Colours, I picked up a bunch of these during a clearance sale. Usually I'll have it set to a dimmed orange-red during the evening to rest my eyes.
Other than that I've got a desk lamp and the typical ceiling light, both with a white LED bulb in there.

do you point this at a wall?

theres a bunch of reviews on youtube, from my reading of reviews, the e1 has better electricals and more reliable usb ports than the most popular a2 model

Some IKEA lamp with 2700K LEDs.

Farmer detected
How's the horse pussy

You either point them at a wall or along side a wall. I've placed one behind my television and one behind my monitors aimed alongside white walls, so the colours are highly visible. The only downside to these is that the white light (colour intensity all the way down) has a yellow tint to it. Then again, that's what I've got my ceiling lights for anyway.

Color theory does specify "white" however the science of it can be a bit complicated. It's based on physics and blackbody radiation/calculations. Our current standard for white is usually based on D65.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminant_D65
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_illuminant
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_point
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature#Correlated_color_temperature

CRI is like the "quality" of light. As seen in the graph, fluorescent lights are very peaky. At the same time CRI is not always the best measure of light because you can manipulate the peaks of so that it scores better. Today there are a lot of LED lights that may not score as high as CFL with CRI but perform better in other metrics and produce a much better light closer to incandescent.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index

I bought an x220 for a desk light. The ThinkLight wasn't as bright as I tought it would be but at least it can be controlled over the net

Keep it right behind my monitor for ambient lighting

ikea lamp + phillips 2700k 100w equivalent led bulb

>red with a bit of green in it
Isn't that orange?

That diagram is pretty enlightening, thanks.

I use a make-shift lamp with this meme bulb. Kinda bright for the desired effect it advertises with.

Pair of Humanscale Element Disk lamps.
Got them used for 50 bucks.

Can't complain.
youtube.com/watch?v=0TVR-m5jPBU#t=0m34s

It completely baits you into believing that you have good skin.

The key to "white" is that the tint/spectrum as closely as possible match that of a blackbody radiator (something that produces light purely with heat). The white of a blackbody radiator varies with temperature, but it inherently pure.

An incandescent lamp, provided it doesn't have any tint-modifying coding, is inherently pure because it produces light with heat. Other light sources, such as fluorescent or LED, utilize phosphors to actually produce the visible spectrum of light. For this reason, they are NOT inherently pure, and this is why a lot of fluorescent and LED light sources look terrible or unnatural. It takes high quality phosphors with consistent quality control in order to produce light that is actually close enough to a blackbody radiator to appear natural.

>that feel when you have light quality autism and lights with slightly unnatural tints drive you insane

your anus is technology. let's discuss how to use your anus

top kek

CRI is not an end all be all to the quality of light. In fact it's very possible for an LED or fluorescent lamp to have a very high CRI but still look terrible due to tinting. I have seen plenty of examples of this, especially in the realm of fluorescent lighting. A 70-80 CRI light with no noticeable tint issues will generally look better than a 90+ CRI light with even a slight tint issue.

CRI is somewhat of a meme. It's important but in practice what people actually notice and care about is the CCT and lack of weird tints.

i use one of those extremely bright led lights you use for your fish tank