Is 4k on a 15inch laptop a meme?

is 4k on a 15inch laptop a meme?

Yes, according to Sup Forums technology expert computer science PhDs.

>acer

good luck with that max 2 year laptop life span

Not really a meme but Windows scaling is dogshit aside from its native apps so it depends on how much blurry text you can stand

i want to do programming on this thing, is text rendering completely fucked?

Mac OS X does a much better job with high res displays because, unlike Microsoft, Apple has the backbone to force software developers to upgrade their shit.

No. Posting from my Dell XPS 15 with touchscreen 4k, i5-6300HQ, 960m, 8GB RAM. Would highly recommend. I will never go back to sub-4k.

>i5

No.

i heard Ubuntu does hi res pretty good

You jealous? 4 cores @ 2,3GHz turbo up to 3,2GHz. It doesn't even throttle.

what's the average battery life?

how do older games look that have no support above 1080?

There are still many older programs that don't scale well, or fuck up their own layout in high res.

OS X has those too but due to Apple's vertical integration, OS X can just scale their pixels by 2x. This is only possible because Apple doubled the PPI. 1440x900 => 2880x1800 and so on.
GNU/Linux and Windows apps can't assume that and have to work with arbitrary PPI

thanks user, that's informative

That said, I still wouldn't buy a Retina MacBook because they're all glossy displays.
I use Debian unstable with Cinnamon on a 13" @ 1080p, high enough PPI to warrant scaling and it's workable.
Some old applications don't scale well but you can always just increase the font size. Tiny icons are not so bad.

probably gonna go for the fhd 1080 version of xps 15

FOR full stack web dev and light gaming

With chrome and a lot of tabs about 6 hours on the 84Wh one. When you use the graphics card, it can use a lot more (it has a 130 watt brick, that should tell you something. I easily trip the 150 watt breaker in my car when charging it and using it at the same time.).

1080p at 15" is perfectly fine on Linux, even without scaling. Just pick a slightly larger font size maybe.
Good choice

Just like they would on the 1080p one. The only difference is that I've been spoiled by the awesome screen now, so 1080p looks pretty shit to me.

Go to the store and look at the difference between 4k and 1080p. The 4k screen makes looking at text much more pleasant.

There is an argument for 4K becoming the standard and becoming steadily embraced by more and more Windows software.

But fuck that battery consumption.

Even more undecided than I was before anons.

Take your charging brick with you. The 130 watt brick means that you can charge the 84Wh one in about 1 hour 20 mins.

Also, don't underestimate the touchscreen. At first, it seems like a gimmick, but you'll start to use it more often after a while. I look pretty stupid when I try to press on something with my finger on my friend's MacBook. It can make your screen a little bit messy after a while, so get a microfiber cloth.

went with 4k

i hope i cum from the screen the way you're describing it

Nice! You won't regret it!

Anything about upgrading the screen display seems to be pointless before you taste it

But I suppose it does affect the battery performance

u just got meme'd