Bought 2x4GB memory kit in 2010 when the prices were down

>bought 2x4GB memory kit in 2010 when the prices were down
>been using it ever since and plan on using them until 2020
>the same kit costs 1.5x now

Literally why upgrade?

gaems run better on ddr4

>Literally why upgrade?
Why do you ever upgrade memory? Because you need more or you've upgraded to a different platform that no longer supports your old RAM.

You bought 8GB of total RAM for $31 in 2010?

No, obviously he bought it for $20.67. Didn't you read the OP!?

Middle school dropout here. How did you get $20.67? Like how do you un-do the 150% price increase thing OP is blabbering about?

>he didnt adjust for inflation and the changes in OPs disposable income
wew lad back to school

>8Gb

Seems bretty small for an SSD

Divide by 1.5
Hot tip: get some math textbook from tpb/wikibooks
~12%, not huge

~12%
I am going to be completely honest here: I thought it was even less.

Compound interest
1.02^6 =1.12

you go back in time to when the prices weren't retarded.
>tai floods rise HDD prices to insane and completely unreasonable levels
>samsun sets fire to their RAM factories
>claims the literally millions of ram sticks in every vendors garage is now the last of it as they're moving to DDR4 production once repairs are finished
>prices rise bcus le fires caused le shortage
>reality is that there's still millions of unused sticks in warehouses which they're still trying to milk from fire that happened 5 years ago
tl;dr asians are fucking assholes.

If you Run Windows never ever go below 8GB. It is cheap and will make Your pc Run smoother.
Why even get a new built without 16GB?
If you Run Linux with no professional intentions 4 is enough, 8 is great

And it's faulty - it looses data when unpowered!!1!

Why hasn't DDR3 RAM dropped in price yet? I thought 16gb kits would be something like $30 now, but DDR3 basically costs the same as DDR4.

colored kits are for kids and it's always overpriced
get the pair of Korean Hynix or Samsung DIMM

It has. I can get 4x8GB PC3-10600/12800R for 40-50 bucks :^).

DDR3 never recovered from the great fire of 2013.

Hell, sometimes I think HDDs never did after the flood too.

But user, I run 4gb ddr2 on my desktop with Windows 10 and it runs great.

Q6600 ftw. Got this shit free, just had to buy a keyboard, ram, and ssd

Oh it recovered, it's called price gouging. The company I work for does the same. After the global recession they increased prices for everything. Every Board meeting is about cutting costs due to the economic climate. Once the economy had somewhat stabilized company owners/stock holders still expect running costs to stay low or lower and selling prices to stay high. It's all a fucking scam.

Yeah I just mean the price.

I live in Canada this is a fact of life. Gotta love how when our dollar is low prices shoot up, but when we're at parity or higher they certainly don't go back down.

>We gotta charge 20 bucks now instead of 15, our dollar isn't worth as much
>1cad=1usd
>well of course we're charging 20 bucks, that's always been the price

Love it.

Those 2013 - 2014 prices for RAM were insane. Literally more than double the price from just 8 months earlier.

Don't even get me started on HDD prices.

Can't you just order stuff from the U.S instead? I live in Finland and I order stuff from abroad all the time to avoid local price gouging. When you order from Germany or any other EU country they literally can't tax you unless the thing as some kind of special tax like tobacco, alcohol or cards.

The cost to make them did recover, but since people were getting used to the inflated price, they just left it there and reaped the increased profit margin.

If I was to pay 50% more thanks to UPS, sure.

>Order a LOST Bluray collection from a company base din New York
>It ends up being $104 CAD
>I am due $49.75 "brokerage" when it arrives at my door

ok Jamal return the shit you stole...surprised you didn't steal the keyboard too!

No.

When we order from foreign countries, we don't get taxed. When those packages enter the country we are charged the tax on it, but in Canada you don't get directly billed the tax.

Instead the courier company who shipped it handles the brokerage for the import at the border, meaning they charge you the tax PLUS extra fees for their work. These fees can make up a significant value of the item itself. If you're in the $200 range, you can see fees from UPS/FedEx as high as $90 (depending on the item)

When I ordered a $20 tool from the US since it was unavailable on amazon.ca, I was charged $19 fees. Nearly doubling the cost.

Order things worth several thousand and you're going to go bankrupt on import fees.

only if cpu is the bottleneck.