/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/hanschen/ksuperkey
homepage.smc.edu/morgan_david/cs41/bash.txt
askubuntu.com/questions/99866/how-to-switch-the-window-buttons-to-the-left-in-cinnamon
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/broadcom_wireless
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

On Xfce, if I bind only Super to a command all other commands that use Super+key can no longer be used. Is there a way around this?

Use Ctrl+Shift for your custom command, or rebind all other Super commands to use Ctrl+Shift instead.

Install Gentoo

I believe it's because Super is read as a modifier key or some dumb bullshit like that.

In KDE you could get around it with a package called Ksuperkey which remapped Super to alt+F1. Maybe look into doing something like that.

Here's ksuperwin for reference: github.com/hanschen/ksuperkey

Do admins actually stand next to the server rack with their laptop? Why?

Learn bash in 10 minutes.
homepage.smc.edu/morgan_david/cs41/bash.txt

Alright. Tried Ctrl+Shift and it's comfy.

He is connected directly into the server to perhaps do maintenance?

Anyone have any idea how to change dconf settings for other existing users?

I've tried using 'runuser' with the login command and appropriate gsettings option but I'm getting a "failed to commit changes to dconf error":

sudo runuser -l username -c 'gsettings set org.mate.media-handling automount false

>he doesn't check his server's pulse

As if anyone would stand up for that

How hard would it be to achieve something like this in ubuntu linux?

>wait for the linux to boot up fully
>wait 10 seconds
>execute given command line as root

should i stick with xterm
it seems copying and pasting from it is kind of a drag

Not very.

On cinnamon:
go to autostart settings
add new program
enter "gksu [your terminal]"
enter "10" in the delay box

xterm has drag and drop support now?

not that i can tell, you can copy using shift+insert but it pastes the text in terminal again instantly

>oi we've just slid fooserver into the rack but it isn't getting a network connection, wanna take a look at that?
>arright, let me grab this laptop and do the patchcord switcheroo, if i can open a pizza site with the same patchcord then it's just a problem with fooserver

>install slackware
>decide to optout of KDE package
>go to open a file
>fuck, I don't have ARK
>download ARK package
>installs fine. doesn't work though.

How the fuck do I get the installation package of KDE so I can use ARK.

Or what alternative can I use that opens everything?

>inb4 install gentoo

fglrx or radeon for HD6950. I highly doubt this will ever get AMDGPU support

peazip, file roller

radeon is very good now. fglx is hot garbage and has no support any longer anyway since they're focusing completely on AMDGPUPRO.

I use radeon driver and I can play WoW in wine and all the games on steam that aren't nvidia only. No performance issues whatsoever. No alien isolation or middle earth shadows of mordor, though. But that wouldn't work on fglrx either.

# config
DEFAULT_TARGET="."

SCRIPTNAME="${0##*/}"

err() {
printf >&2 "$SCRIPTNAME: $*\n"
exit 1
}

ARC="$1"
[[ -f $ARC ]] || err $"'$ARC' does not exist"
ARC="$(readlink -f "$ARC")"

read -p "Extract to [default: $DEFAULT_TARGET]: " TARGET
[[ -z $TARGET ]] &&\
TARGET="$DEFAULT_TARGET"
[[ -d $TARGET ]] || err $"Directory '$TARGET' does not exist"
[[ -w $TARGET ]] || err $"Permission denied: '$TARGET' is not writable"

cd "$TARGET"
case "$ARC" in
*.tar.bz2) tar xjf "$ARC" ;;
*.tar.gz) tar xzf "$ARC" ;;
*.bz2) bunzip2 "$ARC" ;;
*.rar) unrar e "$ARC" ;;
*.gz) gunzip "$ARC" ;;
*.tar) tar xf "$ARC" ;;
*.tbz2) tar xjf "$ARC" ;;
*.tgz) tar xzf "$ARC" ;;
*.zip) unzip "$ARC" ;;
*.Z) uncompress "$ARC" ;;
*.7z) 7z x "$ARC" ;;
*) echo "'$ARC' cannot be extracted by $SCRIPTNAME" ;;
esac

I have two cards I don't care about crossfire in linux but I would like to use the other card to run a third screen should I have any problems with the radeon driver?

I don't have two cards so I can't answer that question, sorry.

can't, it's server without any gui

Thank you

Looking for an alternative to CDisplayEX.

Basically a comic reader that lets me bind keys to scroll up or down pages.

Checks out. Running Ubuntu /w Unity and wearing a three piece suit.

Are there any actually good SBCs that can run the Raspberry Pi operating systems? I just want a free command line version of Mathematica so I can SSH into it and run simple shit.

ill try it thanks

mcomix. Also zathura which is a pdf reader that can also read comic files and use vim keybindings. You need ot install a comic addon for it though. Available in aur on arch and as the package zathura-cb on Fedora. Probably similar for Debian.

>Its original name was Alix – named after the woman who was my sweetheart at the time. She, a UNIX system administrator, had pointed out how her name would fit a common naming pattern for UNIX system versions; as a joke, she told her friends, ‘Someone should name a kernel after me.’ I said nothing, but decided to surprise her with a kernel named Alix.

Just sharing my today's experience with Gentoo.

>move far away in a poor-ass student room for further education
>no ethernet, only wifi
>slow as shit and costs two thirds of an actual ISP subscription (but no router config, no ethernet and unstable, slow connection)
>Wangblows decides to stop loading Sup Forums
>Gentoo still does and Wifi just werks even on this piece of shit connection

Then you need to write a service.
It depends of the version of Ubuntu.

Thrusty (14.04) -> Search for upstart service
Xenial (16.04) -> You need a systemd service (also called systemd unit).

What do you want to start exactly ?

Actually i managed to figure it out, i jammed the command into some file in /etc/ that gets executed by the system after boot and is owned by root so i can put any sudo commands there

put this at the end of home/user/.bash_profile
sleep 10
sudo [command]

SELinux
APPArmour
tomoyo
gre

Which for daily use

So, I installed Gentoo on my laptop
Everything, especially big things like xorg, takes too long to compile, and I'm starting to think this isn't my kind of thing
Is it going to be worth it, or should I just move on to another distro
And what other minimalistic, systemd-free distros are available?

>i jammed the command into some file in /etc/ that gets executed by the system after boot and is owned by root so i can put any sudo commands there

Just give in and embrace the D.

Should I put MATE or Elementary OS on a usb drive to use in my laptop for school that currently had no disk drive in it? I know for a fact it would boot up, i'm just debating between the two.

I saw a DE thread the other day and it showed a really nice looking XFCE with an dark arc theme, but when I tried it on a VM it looked like ass.

AKARI IS PURE
DELETE THIS

>falling for the gentoo meme

Deavuan is thrown around lately checkem

mate looks like shit. It looks like 1999 UI.

Last I checked Devuan installer still didn't work

Wouldn't that cause conflicts? What are you binding the super key to?

Gentoo user here

Gentoo is what you want it to be. So, it really depends of why you want a Gentoo.
That's not a rhetorical question. Why do you want a Gentoo?

For learning how things works, there is no better way. For having programs "more optimized with specific compilation flags", it's completely stupid.
For building your own Linux flavor, customised as fuck, it's perfect.

Also, for really big packages (web browser and libreoffice), there are compiled version that should be more suited for you.
After all you need is installed, compilation time is not really a problem. With a good portage configuration, you'll run updates in background without noticing. The only drawback is that updates and package installs will not be instant.

>needing an installer

mistakenly used 'sudo startx'
didnt expect

How the fuck do I set the font of mlterm? There's like 4 different font config files full of shit, I assume I need vaafont (since I use aa and variable column width) but what do I put there so that it will just always use this one font?

>tfw Broadcom BCM43228HMB network card
>tfw proprietary software wants me to keep using Windows
Fuck this gay Earth.

>cheat sheet
>understanding
Sure thing.

dirty system requires dirty work

why learn bash when i know python and can make same scripts in it

noob here serious question

my only issue with Elementary is no desktop functionality without installing nautilus and messing around in dconf tools. It would be another story if the file manager that opened on the desktop was the same that opened by default, and if the icons didn't snap into their place AFTER I open terminal or the default file manager.

what is with the gentoo meme?

is it just some fork of linux that is unnecessarily hard to get working for no good reason?

whats the real difference between any linux distro really? just whatever software packages that come with the installation?

when the entire Sup Forums tells you to do something it is 100% a meme you retard
the truly used things are never agreed upon and heavily arguing goes on constantly
just use ubuntu and stop being a sad fucking loser.
do you also download only half of computer games and then waste years by coding the rest of the game yourself so you can play it? even though you can simply download a whole version of that game and save yourself the completely pointless work? of course you don't you silly little filly

- Speed.
- Not every system has python installed.

buy a new one

because learning bash means also learning to use the terminal and it's commands, programs and basically the system

I'm a long-time Mac user who just built a Linux box. I dumped Mint on it because my roommate had the DVD with it. So far I like it.

One thing that bothers me are close/minimize/maximize widgets on the right hand side of the windows. Is there a way to move them to LHS like pic related?

Yeah, I know I could just use a USB network adapter, but I don't want to do that.

what is the best file editor for the terminal? vim is fucking shit i can't highlight chunks of text easily or skip to the end with keys

Aoparmour

Fuckin kekd mate. Why the fuck would you even lift your ass for that?

Broadcom works in Linux

>vim is fucking shit

Oh boy here we go. Did you even bother to go through vimtutor? It explains how to do those two things less than halfway through it.

>linux box
>mint
>likes os x themes
Oh dear...

Anyway: askubuntu.com/questions/99866/how-to-switch-the-window-buttons-to-the-left-in-cinnamon

Didn't work when I tried using Mint awhile back. Even tried to use ndiswrapper and it wouldn't work.

>what is the best file editor for the terminal?
vim

> vim is fucking shit i can't highlight chunks of text easily or skip to the end with keys
type "vimtutor" in the terminal and fucking learn it you dunce.

How do I paste in vim?

In small firms no, admins there are fat lazy shits and use ssh tunnels for everything, but in large companies like banks you are only allowed to connect directly to the server with an airgapped laptop, via cable to prevent any possibility of breach by comrade robot

>why do you want gentoo
As I said, I want a minimalistic distro, and no systemd
I tried Void, runit is really nice but xbps didn't work right
Also xbps-src is weird and I dislike it
The only problem with gentoo really is how long it takes for things to install
>After all you need is installed, compilation time is not really a problem
Well, I'll stick with it for a while then, at least finish installing all my shit before judging it

I didn't install it because of the meme you fucktard
Also Ubuntu a shit

You can do that if you learn it, vim is comfy after you get used to it
If you want a more normal editor though, try Nano

Why does everyone fall for Linux Mint? It's the worst distro around, but everyone and his mom is installing it.

Please explain this bullshit!

ed is the standard text editor.

Because a huge part of any Linux distribution is composed of glue code written in sh?

IMHO, it's not very useful to learn all the bash language, but it's a good idea to know how the basic operators works (if, for, &&, ||), as well as some notion of pipe and redirection.
It can simplify a lot of tasks (and by simplify, I means, you just have to type 3-4 words):
mass file renaming, getting software logs, searching files, ...

All of that is doable in python, but can't be "coded" as fast as a command line.

>linux fork
Don't know if bait but the main difference between distros is the package manager

Any text editor that requires you to read a fucking manual to use is absolute and utter shit garbage
It is a fucking TEXT EDITOR it has to be intuitive so that anyone can use it fully without reading anything
Do you see anyone reading reading the man page for a fucking notepad.exe?

Just Works

>He doesn't use zsh.

>any editor that has useful features is absolute and utter shit

>using a babby shell
Go away kid.

whats a fork mean?

whats the package manager?

Try Manjaro, they have newer drivers. If their driver detector does not work, Arch wiki will have you covered
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/broadcom_wireless

Because you dont want your server exposed beyond what it needs to be exposed too?
You dont want to have a threat of your servers being "Maintained" by the wrong person

thx for the replies it does seem a better way of doing things

stallman uses it, that is literally the only reason why anyone here knows it even exists
once stallman finishes the new linux he is writing then everyone here will be recommending that one as the new fresh meme

>I came here to write not read
Maybe you should stick to a notepad type editor then.

>zsh

old memes die hard

Ironically shitposting is still shitposting.

>not just installing arch

He's new

apparently the more you know about loonix the uglier and fatter you are..
it's like it's impossible to learn loonix if you want to be hot and have a normal life because you literally don¨t have enough time left
why do some people make the choice to learn loonix instead of being hot, healthy and successful is beyond me

>Sir I'm going to need your meme card, that one is expired.

saved

>macs
That's it. That's the only reason why zsh got so popular. OSX comes with a deprecated old bash shell and instead of updating it, they install zsh, because "bash doesn't work". Tells a lot about those users.