Is Wayland a viable option right now?

Is Wayland a viable option right now?

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-364.19-Released
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-364.12-Linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Tfw GNOME/Wayland on Arch

yes. Using it right now on Fedora with GNOME 3.

Yes

IIRC NVidia still doesn't support Wayland so it's pointless at this point

If you use gnome it is.
KDE is still working on it.

Post video card

Yes, because linux is full of "desktop user" cancer that doesn't need or want what X is actually meant for.

They don't want bandwidth-friendly network transparent anything. They don't even want a better program similar to X. They want 3d effects, smooth gradients, quickly and efficiently rendered tricks. Bloat.

Linux in the future won't a decent server OS any more unless you want to basically use an OS and environment from the 70s....EMULATED....rather than necessary.

>muh tmux and vim

Go to bed, grandpa

This.

desu I only use linux for machine learning, which only works on nvidia gpus (lol amd is gonna get btfo as the world begins to rely more on ML)

Grandpa won't stop telling me his character cell terminal is still good enough

I want real lightweight, network transparent GUIs, not this text shit with different commands and paradigms for every single program. It's just a worse way to work. Going full retro and using pure CLI without a smidgen of curses/readline bloat is more efficient thank fucking around with a million wannabe GUIs that look like they came out of DOS's disease vagina with dentata.

Its intell integrated GPU. Afaik AMD works wuth wayland

>NVidia still doesn't support Wayland
you mean Wayland doesn't support Nvidia

>NVidia
>Still needing proprietary drivers

Stay pleb while AMD develops open source drivers

>seriouslz, XLFDs!
some people actually still use xfld fonts

>state-of-the-1980
nothing wrong with those primitives

wayland is thankfully dead, though

>machine learning
>which only works on nvidia gpus

This is next level shilling

I srsly hope u r memeing m8

Which terminal do you use? And don't tell me you use Xwayland.

>nothing wrong with those primitives
Literally no one uses them. They create useless extra work for driver developers.

>Stay pleb while AMD develops open source drivers
I run nouveau on a different machine, it's exactly the same as AMD drivers (open source and still no proper 3D support)

Nope.

Soon. Just not soon enough.

>Everyone uses GBM
>Nvidia just decides to only use EGLStreams
>Absolutely no advantages over GBM
>Expects everyone to use it
I hope nobody supports this sort of retarded shit

Was AIGLX a mistake?

Would we have a truly modern X replacement by now if everybody adopted XGL instead of the over-engineered Red Hat shit that is AIGLX?

>AIGLX
>by Kristian Hogsberg
>The same guy who started Wayland
Interesting.

>AMD drivers (open source and still no proper 3D support)
Update your memes.
I've been playing XCOM 2 and other games just fine with the latest open source AMD drivers.

No, NVidia doesn't support Wayland. They didn't implement EGL and KMS.

>Note: The proprietary NVIDIA driver (since 364.12) also implements kernel mode-setting, but it does not use the built-in kernel implementation and it lacks an fbdev driver for the high-resolution console.

They have KMS and EGLstreams. You can patch wayland to run on nvidia proprietary drivers

>You can patch wayland to run on nvidia proprietary drivers
You shouldn't have to "patch wayland" (it's the compositor you patch, not libwayland), but you shouldn't have to.
Nvidia should have used the interface that all of the other drivers use.

>should/shouldn't
Wayland doesn't support Nvidia is the current situation however you bend it.

>pay more for the same hardware
>rely on shitty proprietary binary drivers
>nvidia doesn't support open source unlike the competitors
>have to patch other software just to work on incompatible nih nvidia shit

Why?
Why get to so much trouble and support a company that is an enemy of software freedom?
It's like you don't like freedom!

Please tell me that the reason you are doing this isn't the supposedly 1fps more in proprietary drmed games!

>Why?
It was wrongly claimed nvidia doesn't have KMS & EGL support and it was corrected. That's why.

can you prove it's shilling?

>the Python module I chose for machine learning only has CUDA support therefore OpenCL doesn't exist

Shilling? Ignorance? Which is worse?

Wayland is. Most WMs aren't..
>mfw probaly stuck with X11 forever, cause muh openbox

Check da facts, hobos.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-364.19-Released

This. Wayland is ready, it's just a matter of desktop environments and window managers adopting to it, which may take anywhere from a couple of months to a few years.

Except that's not how wayland works, you don't make a window manager for wayland, you make a wayland server that also happens to handle windows.

I don't see the point of Wayland for my case, which doesn't require fancy 3D effects for no reason.

There isnt a wayland only app yet. Everything needs a x emu layer. Emu is noticible slower than pure x. Result wayland = pointless.

Wayland doesn't require fancy 3D effects. It's just a protocol, and a reference implementation of that protocol.
It's entirely up to the compositor to actually draw shit, and minimal wayland compositors do exist, although I don't know how good they are to use at this point.

>Except that's not how wayland works

Except I never posted anything about that. Thanks for your pseudo intellectual corrections, but I didn't ask for them.

Yeah, but gnome is still working on gnome to make it more shit.

Still a meme you need X to even run most applications (xwayland)
At this point it would be easier to rebuild xorg then make wayland from scratch.
Would be faster anyway

What I meant is window managers can't just "adopt it", because that's not how it works, they'd have to be rewritten from scratch, it wouldn't make any sense.

That's why my whole point, if you don't need any 3D fancy effects than a compositor makes no sense at all, just use X.

"Fancy 3D effects" isn't the point of Wayland.
It's so when can get away from the shitshow that is X.

I think you're confusing the compositor used in X with the wayland protocol.

Wayland is as ready as IPv6 is.
In other words, it's ready, but most people haven't yet implemented it.

Nouveau does (I think)

>Wayland is as ready as IPv6 is.
>In other words, it's ready, but most people haven't yet implemented it.

How can something be ready when it depends on the previous stuff.

IPv6 is widely implemented, at least from a software standpoint.
It's all those damn ISPs which are holding us back.

This thread is filled with ignorant fuckers. If Wayland is the "Linux desktop" then all the advantages are gone.
You do know that Wayland's design effectively destroys any choice and customization right? Wayland's protocol is basically an isolation prison that requires "big DE's" and destroys choice. The protocol moves everything into one central place called the "compositor" this machinery must provide:
the window manager
the hotkey daemon
the compositing effects
the windowing server
screen reading tools
screenshots
screen casting
magnifying glass tools
global dictionary tools
etc etc etc everything.
Wayland's design makes it impossible to write a portable hotkey daemon for instance. Supposedly for "security reasons". Wayland is a GNOME dev's dream, it kills the ability of people to control their own system. If you're actually excited for Wayland you either thoroughly misunderstand what it brings and just like it because it's new or you're a drooling GNOME-lover who hates customization.

Mind sharing your hardware details and what other games you've played? Framerates? Stutter? Cross-reference anything against performance on Windows?

I've been wanting to jump ship to AMD for a while now, but unless the drivers work well I'm kind of on the fence about it. I currenly use a GTX 680 on the proprietary drivers, and want an actual performance increase, so wondering what the state the AMD drivers are in now compared to that (Yes I know about Phoronix, and no, it doesn't give me a direct comparison for my hardware, only that the drivers are shit compared to closed nvidia drivers).

That sounds like the opposite of the point that OP's image is trying to make.

>nvidia
>doesn't support wayland

Are you troll?

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-364.12-Linux

Nah I just don't follow the Wayland related news because I'm skeptical about it's usefulness

But it's true. Wayland uses GBM.

Nvidia's "implementation" involves using EGLStreams instead, which is not Wayland. Nvidia wants to make their implementation into *the* Wayland, but at the current point in time that isn't the case yet.