/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
T-Mobile has posted a list of Samsung and HTC models that will get an Android 7.0 update
gsmarena.com/tmobile_has_posted_a_list_of_samsung_and_htc_models_that_will_get_an_android_70_update-news-20170.php

New Xiaomi Mi Note 2 leak confirms SD821 SoC, curved display, and dual-camera setup
gsmarena.com/new_mi_note_2_leak_confirms_sd821_soc_curved_display_and_dualcamera_setup-news-20168.php

Huawei Honor 8 is now available for purchase in US
gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_8_is_now_available_for_purchase_in_us-news-20166.php

SD625-powered Redmi 4 with 2GB RAM spotted on Geekbench
gsmarena.com/sd625powered_xiaomi_mido_with_2gb_ram_spotted_on_geekbench-news-20157.php

LeEco Le 2S Pro supposedly breezes through AnTuTu with a score of 157,897
phonearena.com/news/LeEco-Le-2S-Pro-supposedly-breezes-through-AnTuTu-with-a-score-of-157897_id84577

Galaxy Note 7 review: What’s the opposite of “bang for your buck?”
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/galaxy-note-7-review-whats-the-opposite-of-bang-for-your-buck/

Samsung Galaxy Note 7: Unboxing & Review - DetroitBORG
youtube.com/watch?v=H_7vS-Y0dHI

Blu R1 HD Amazon phone 2 week update
youtube.com/watch?v=hdMovREO2UY

old

Other urls found in this thread:

willmyphonework.net
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PB1547M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So as i said in the previous thread im going to buy a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 pro.
Can someone tell me if it's actually a good phone or just a cheap shitty chinkphone?
And what if my chellphone operator uses 800mhz bands for 4g? Can i still use 3g at least?

From the previous thread.

Would it be too much if I'd ask you nice people with Android phones what applications you use for the following:

1.Reading eBooks
2.Browsing the Web
3.Navigation
4.Music Player
5.Launcher
6.Torrent Client
7.File Manager
8.Email Client
9.Cloud Storage
10.Picture Viewer

If it wouldn't trouble you, please.

1. Don't read ebooks on my phone
2. Firefox
3. Google Maps
4. Sony Walkman app
5. Stock Google launcher
6. Don't torrent on my phone
7. Amaze
8. Gmail
9. Google Drive
10. QuickPic

It's a great phone. check willmyphonework.net for compatibility. in the U.S H+ will work and maybe some 4G. some user said he got 4G on t-mobile in his city.

If you don't like MiUI you can always flash CM13.

(I'm not the user you replied to)
Thanks for the link.
Can you still use 3g if 4g is not available for your carrier?

Yes of course as long as you have the 3G bands it will work.

1.Reading eBooks
>dont read ebooks
2.Browsing the Web
>chrome
3.Navigation
google maps
4.Music Player
>spotify
5.Launcher
>google
6.Torrent Client
>µtorrent on my pc, only spastics and autists torrent on their phone
7.File Manager
>stock
8.Email Client
>gmail
9.Cloud Storage
>google drive
10.Picture Viewer
>google photos

Thank you. It says that my carrier (didnt know this is the proper term for the "operator") supports 3g and "half" 4g because it has 2600mhz but not 800mhz. So i guess i'll have to hope that my city (a big one) is covered by the 2600 band right? Anyway i can live with 3g alone. thank you very much

I'm on verizon and looking to upgrade soon. I currently have a HTC m8 and love it. I prefer a UI close to stock android. I'm tempted to get the Galaxy S7 because of the waterproofing, but I think touchwiz would drive me crazy. With that in mind, is the HTC 10 my best option?

Yeah probably depends on what part of your city is covered by 2600 and 800 you'll have partial 4g coverage. configure the correct APN settings from your carrier on the phone as well. you can also select "prefer 3g" mode in MiUi to have it use primarily the 3G bands.

I am hesitating between buying a secondhand Samsung S7 (in great shape, just a few light scratches on the metal on the left side) and a new OnePlus 3 for ~ same price.
Which one should i get?

>>µtorrent on my pc, only spastics and autists torrent on their phone
So, since I do read ebooks on my phone and I torrent them, am I a spastic or autist?

Why is it so hard to root my gs5 from straight talk? I even tried running windows in a virtual box and every time I make progress something else screws up. I rooted my gs3 with no problems years ago

So the Note 7 is basically a massive disappointment.

LG G5 vs Honor 8 for the same price ?

how would I persay compile AOSP for my OnePlus X phone?

Hey Sup Forums
My trusty Xperia Z1 finally kicked the bucket after 3 years of loyal services.

I'm in the market for something new, but i'm on a budget. Is it even remotely possible to find something equivalent under 200$ ?

I'm in Yurop so I don't know if that's a factor for purchase or not.

Here are the ideal characteristics that my new phone would have:

>5 inch
>720p display (i don't quite care for 1080 at all)
>4G/LTE
>SD Slot
>Removable Battery (not too sure this even exists anymore but eh if it does...)
>Sturdy/If not, easy access to protective screens and stuff
>Waterproof, or at least splashproof

>At least as fast as the Xperia Z1/2 which is good enough for me
>Not-shit battery life (3k+mAh)
(the Xperia rom had a nifty feature called stamina mode that deactivated data/wifi when the screen was turned off, i'll wager this is doable via tasker though)
>easily rootable

Does she exist, Sup Forums?
In the meantime i'll browse the recommended chinkphone list but idk how available those are in Europe.

Thanks in advance!
Pic unrelated

I don't know a thing about Honor 8, but I just got my G5 and I have no idea what all the complaints on the internet are about. This phone has absolutely everything I need. It may look a bit ugly compared to the Galaxy S7 but I couldn't care less.

.Reading eBooks
Don't read books on your mobile. screen is too small and uncomfortable. got a kindle paperwhite for that.
>2.Browsing the Web
Chrome.
>3.Navigation
Waze or Google Maps.
>4.Music Player
Rocket Player and Shuttle.
>5.Launcher
none.
>6.Torrent Client
rutorrent.
>7.File Manager
FX File explorer and airdroid.
>8.Email Client
Gmail.
>9.Cloud Storage
none.
>10.Picture Viewer
Piktures

Moto G4 is probably the closest thing you'll find

Redmi 3s Prime
Moto G4
Mi4c
BV6000 if waterproof
Cubot X17 S

What smartphone do I get if I just want something to install cyanogenmod on and good battery life currently looking at nexus 5x

Is there an app (preferable f-droid) that acts as a search assistant? Something like Google's own assist, but more configurable and perhaps not branded? Could be just web, or web and in-phone.

>1.Reading eBooks
Only ever used the nook app. Perfect Viewer is best for comics and there's a PDF plugin
>2.Browsing the Web
Firefox
>3.Navigation
Google Maps
>4.Music Player
I like folder based music players, HikiPlayer
>5.Launcher
Nova Prime
>6.Torrent Client
Flud
>7.File Manager
Used to be EX, but now Solid
>8.Email Client
Gmail
>9.Cloud Storage
N/A
>10.Picture Viewer
Cyanogenmod's Gallery/Solid explorer

I got a deal on an iPhone SE with my Macbook Pro. Did I do good Sup Forums?

download them on your pc and put them on the cloud.

or support the writers of the shit you read and pay for it like normal human beings

Currently have a Motorola moto X pure running bone stock everything. I was going to use full phone/storage encryption but decided I'd ask here first. Before I go through the process of encrypting everything, I was considering root, recovery, and Cyanogenmod. Does full phone encryption play nice with custom recovery/rom/root? Being fully unlocked is part of why I got this phone as opposed to say a locked down Note4/5/ soon to be 7.

>best laptop
>best phone
Good job. Now leave the poorfag thread. They're here to argue about their poordroid phones.

>download them on your pc and put them on the cloud.or support the writers of the shit you read and pay for it like normal human beings
You sound retarded, m80.

I love my Xperia Z3, but if Sony doesn't step it up with the XR I think I'll jump ship. Fuck touchjizz and I don't want a chinkphone, but the HTC 10 looks good. How is it? It has a SD card slot, right?

Used to love my old HTC Desire S but I'm not going back to no SD slot

Moon reader pro
Firefox
google maps
Apollo
Nova Launcher Pro
None
ES File explorer
Gmail, or K9 mail
Drive and Dropbox
Quickpic

thanks for that
will check.

Also I have a friend offering an OP2 for 200$ with a tiny dent on the screen and damaged mode slider. Should I do it or would I be better off with one of those you recommended, if i'm looking to future-proof?

Anyone own a MI 5?

z3 compact used maybe

Wow, they are absolutely shameless.

Wot?

Possibly looking to upgrade from my 5s. I'm on Verizon, and will probably stay, because I only pay like 40 a month on my uncle's and cousins' family plan, but would consider switching if it was worth it.
Recs for phones? Had droids before the 5s so not loyal to android or ios, just looking for a newer phone, not too massive.

To some, it seems. I've had wildly differing reviews on Danish websites, and some youtubers seem to like it okay. I'm really looking forward to hearing from real human beans who own one. Would be nice to hear some hands-on experiences from them.
My heart still aches for a Sony phone that's actually worth its price, though.

That phone's design is a blatant Samsung/Apple ripoff.

>SD810
no.
Moto G4 best future proof, xiaomi and other chinks later.

yeah nah. The front might look like some older iphone with the Samsung button, but the back looks completly different with the curved sides.

Well yes. MiUI literally started as an iOS ripoff skin for android, then became the OS. Xiaomi also refers to themselves as the "Chinese Apple" all the time.

convince me that theres no difference between a 5in and 5.2in screen, after moving up from a 4.7in, my brain isnt letting me get over this

Same, I'll wait but the assertions that performance is poor absolutely kills it for me. I was always willing to tolerate Touchwiz for Samsung's design and high end hardware, but it's getting old now. Rather just get the New Nexus which should be high end hardware + clean Android.

Any speculation when the Redmi 4 will be released?

No one?

There is. 5.2 is bigger than 5

op3

Probably.
But if you're not in a hurry, just wait to see what's the new Nexus is like

p-please respond
Considering a Nexus, but don't know if those work with Verizon. I know all about cutting edge technology, but I'm admittedly pretty ignorant when it comes to "tech"

5.2 is bigger than 5. But it also comes down to the bezels of a phone. I mean look at the 5x, it has fucking huge bezels with that screen, ridiculous.

Is lenovo k5 plus a good phone?

nexus work with every carrier in the us afaik. Wait for the new generation in october.

I was looking at the 6p, but if theres a new iteration coming soon i'll probably just wait for that. Is activation a pain/any different than a regular verizon phone? Bear with me, I literally didn't know verizon phones used sim cards until about 30 sec ago when i popped mine out. does the 5s use the same sim as the 6p or newer nexus would use or would i need an adapter or something?

So I came to Android from Windows Phone - what do?

Use apps

you can buy nexus phones unlocked? Wait for a burger to answer that question. I don't have that problem in the german calphate.

Which ones?

You can only buy them unlocked.

>Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 pro
where are you buying it from?

see
Yes they are both nano-sim.

>Yes they are both nano-sim.
so would I just pop the sim from my 5s into a new nexus and it be good to go?

>see>>56289016
Do I really need all of this?

yes you retard

Is the Note 7's RAM issue really that bad? It's a shame because everything else about the phone is so compelling.

Thanks bb :)
Like I said, I'm not Sup Forums so I don't know about al this stuff. Would a new nexus be the way to go, or is there something better out/upcoming? Should I wait to here how the iphone 7 turns out?

that's not an anti-Apple shill post.
You're using

see

wrong

what about the battery life ?

Yes.

Download whatever you need, mail GPS and music are basic stuff.

Dous the s7 still have warranty? If so take the s7

First day with Xiaomi Mi Max, not trying to save power. I'm pretty sure that reviewers these days think that the SOT on pic related is 'decent' with only 5 percent left. Meanwhile I still have like 8 hours of SOT left.
Pretty sure that this phone will easily last through two days.
I might actually just stop charging at 85℅ or so to keep the battery healthier. Are there apps to give you an alarm when you reach a certain percentage?

The problem is its an experiment. The whole modular thing didn't catch on, the screen is too close to the lcd so its not very durable and there have been known battery issues.

>6.5 phone
what are you doing?

I really like my OnePlus3.
I ran into two issues with it however, but they're nothing major, and might not even be related to the phone, but rather the software.

1. Phone reboots for a short while sometimes late at night.
Nothing really happens, it just shuts down, starts back up.
I think some orange text popped up on the screen for a short while when I was awake and near it the one time I saw it happen...

2. I can't hear the caller if the call popup notification shows up when listening to media
Once I switch to speaker+back I can hear them just fine, but it's kinda weird.

My phone is currently encrypted /w safeboot (require pin to decrypt boot/recovery) and I haven't run into any problems. Official CM13 Snapshot.

1. Don't read books on pone
2. Firefox
3. GMaps
4. Shuttle+
5. Nova
6. Don't torrent on phone
7. Amaze
8. Gmail
9. OneDrive (currently not using it, but it's generaly my choice)
10. Default (yeh I'm a pleb, so what)

>1.Reading eBooks
n/a
>2.Browsing the Web
chrome
>3.Navigation
waze/maps
>4.Music Player
spotify
>5.Launcher
google now
>6.Torrent Client
n/a
>7.File Manager
stock
>8.Email Client
gmail
>9.Cloud Storage
google drive
>10.Picture Viewer
google photos

>I use moonreader+ usually
>TugaBrowser
>Google Maps
>Phonograph
>Nova launcher
>F.lud I believe
>Used to be cabinet but I like amaze more now
>just Gmail because it lets me sync all of mine together. I might try Google inbox
>Google Drive because of 15 free gigs
>Leafpic is pretty great and mostly stable

oneplus 3?

best phone with removable battery?
not china phones.
also should i really care about that?
im old date guy, im not really into non removable ones.
Battery will die, and solving this problem will be buying new phone...

not being a manlet :^)

But seriously, I'm already sorta getting used to the size of this thing, it's pretty dank.

I guess using this phone does mean that I will never be able to go any smaller though...

Nexus 5x best reliable midrange all rounder right now for those that don't want to wait for new nexus?

>no microsd slot

Exynos S4

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PB1547M

I miss my fucking Moto X (2013). Changed it for a oneplus when i dropped it and the screen got crushed to pieces. The oneplus is nice and all, but I miss the feel of the Moto X. Both in hand and software-wise. Any current gen similar phones either out or coming soon?

I dont want an iPhone SE, and it doesnt have to be that small either but preferably not more than 5.3" or 5.2".

Z2 or Z3 used would be a dream, but they're usually about 250€ where I look. Reckon they could go for less out of Europe?

ye, was also consider that, but its really worth to put money on that phone? is kinda outdated and preformance aint suberb.

Current phone is Samsung Galaxy Note 3. A T & T is my carrier, USA.

It's starting to crap.out on me. Looking heavily at the OnePlus 3, which is in my budget. Good choice?

No.
Shit screen.

Hello folks. I recently fucked up my iphone while replacing battery and now home butto does not work

What is the cheapest and legit place to get an unlocked ot new t mobile iphone 5?

what is the best upgrade i could get coming from a samsung s5?
I cant stand samshit anymore.
I got it for 400 bucks. Will I get something better with the same amount today?

>high end
htc 10 or wait for new nexus range
>400 bucks
nexus 5x
axon 7 if you like speakers
oneplus 3 if you protect that shit

Is there a free Android music player that isn't garbage? I don't want free as in "in app purchases, spyware, crapware, nagware"

I want free as in actually free. You know, a simple fucking mp3 player which you'd think a modern OS should have.

Shuttle or rocket player. read the thread.

OP3/AX7.

N5X.

Is there any point in buying a top-tier phone now? Money isn't the problem, but there are apparently so many new models coming just next month. Should i just wait and keep using my beat-up G3 for a little more?

>ye, was also consider that, but its really worth to put money on that phone? is kinda outdated and preformance aint suberb.
>1440p screen
>3GB of RAM
>over 3000 in geekbench 3
>removable battery AND micro SD slot
u wot m8?

wait for new Nexus.
too expensive / specs too high?
get 6p or op3 based on preference

>Shuttle
In app payments, wants Wifi permissions (for what fucking reason?), wants Device Id

>Black Player
wants Device Id

Both of those phones lack a micro sd slot though...

>Ebooks
Kindle
>Web
Chrome, AdFree Browser
I used to use Dolphin but now it's shit, i've also tried UC and it's ok, it has nice features but also ads so no.
>Navigation
Maps, Here, CityMapper
>Launcher
Nova Prime
>Torrent Client
N/A
>File Manager
FX
>Email Client
Gmail/Inbox
>Cloud
Drive
>Picture Viewer
Stock gallery app. Would be interested in recs for a new one that lets you select which folders show up.

>Music
Google Play (i like that you can stream what you upload from your PC, it's also practical if you want to purchase a specific song just like that and download management is easy)

>Keyboard
Swiftkey all day erryday. No other kbd gives me spellcheck in three simultaneous languages.

benchmarks are not great comparing to new phones.

>Google Play
My favorite feature is the one where you can't actual exit the app