/pcbg/- PC Building General

Professional, qualified PC technicians edition.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to build a pc, how to select components, and much, much more advice.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

- Post your list, rate other user's, ask questions in general.

- Always state the purpose of your PC and your budget. If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

-If you see any other "PCPartPicker thread"s or threads asking for advice on a build or parts list, please politely direct them here.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/jbybhq
pcpartpicker.com/list/mCFW3F
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kjkDqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/Fx3wcc
pcpartpicker.com/user/KungFoodMaster/saved/cZs9TW
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148859
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just so you guys have something to discuss, I'll post my $1100 budget build for 1440p @60hz gaming. All black and white. Ssd is already purchased.

pcpartpicker.com/list/jbybhq

Can anyone please view the two builds I have here and give their opinions on which one is better. And yes, I realize that these are non-K CPUs but I won't be overclocking. The z170 is essentially for the higher RAM frequencies with very little price difference between the two. Sound card is in the first build because the mobo is shittier.

Thanks Sup Forums.

>have new motherboard
>asus z170, i7, ripjaw ram
>when booting up will give error 55, no ram
>if I fuck with the ram for 15 minutes I can eventually get it to run until I touch the ram again, even tap it
>error 55 again
What the fuck is this shit? is the motherboard really defective? its like the dimm slots are fucked up and dont make contact.

also I dont see the bios screen until about 9 seconds, is this normal?

what's low powered mini-itx/processor combo for a NAS. something like 60AUD for processor

Sound cards are a meme unless you actually are powering a 5.1/7.1 setup. If you care about audio quality, just get an external DAC/AMP, but chances are your headphones aren't good enough to benefit off one in the first place. Between the two builds, I'd probably go with the former (left).

If the sound in the b150 Mobo is so bad why not just spend $10 more to get a better board?

Go xeon. Use ECC ram.

Cool, I'll remove the sound card then.

Any other particular reason the former is the wiser choice?

Does changing graphics card require me to change processor/motherboard? I have skylake i5 6500 + mortar b150m and case is fractal design core 2300. Im changing from msi geforce gtx 1060 OC --> asus dual geforce 1060 OC. Help a bro out!

I'm looking for a PC case that has an SD card reader built into it. Any recommendations?

Is this build good enough for digital design and some gaming with a 1440p panel and 1080p panel?

pcpartpicker.com/list/mCFW3F

So how long do I have to wait for the GTX 1060 Founder's Edition to restock. I'm only looking to get into maxed out 1080p gaming honestly.

Why do you want Founder's?

Why wait for the FE 1060 to come in stock when the AIB versions are cheaper?

I admit that I'm a slave to aesthetics / an aesthetics fag

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kjkDqk

Hey /pcbg/, this is my first time building a PC and I'm looking for any opinions or advice?

My budget is around around €1000, preferably not more than €1100. Thinking of dropping the HDD and Optical Drive from the build just to save money and maybe get them when needed.

I enjoy gaming but its not the main purpose of the build, it'll be used more for development and I use VMs often for testing purposes. I'm happy enough being able to play games on highish quality at 1080p.

Any advice, especially on motherboard/case is appreciated.

All you negros talking about pc parts...

Why does the guy in the pic have a PSU he has taken apart while hes cutting the cables?

Other than ebay and craigslist, what are some good sites to buy used computer parts?

Intel's stock cooler is fine. You don't need anything aftermarket.

Don't buy a gtx 970. A 1060 is better in every single way, and often cheaper.
Power supply is super highly reviewed, but really expensive. I say go with a cheaper unit. The rest seems mostly fine.

I've been looking for a new monitor, preferably 27"+
Assuming price isn't the killer, what are yall opinions on these? Or, is there something better I haven't listed?
Big surprise, im going to do the video games on it. I also have a 1080 on the way.
Dell S2716DG 27"
ROG PG278Q 27"
Acer Predator XB271HU 27"

Won't an aftermarket cooler help it to last longer? My current CPU is around 5 years old and it's always giving me temp warnings. Pushing 85-90 degrees constantly.

Keep switching slots install one at a time that's what I had to do until board recognized mine

I have the predator 4k I like the minimal amount of bezel was planning to get a 2nd so I can have 54" of Vidya

I tried one card at a time and different slots. It does it with both cards.

Please r8 my first build: pcpartpicker.com/list/Fx3wcc

Ignore meme 1kw psu. Planning on SLI later on.
Case was given to me as a gift a while ago so I might as well use it.

Can anyone recommend good cheap standalone mics? Other advice appreciated.

Oh no OP what is that man doing in your picture!

interesting. i'll add it to my consider list

how's the Corsair CS-M Series ?

For the one on the right, why not just pay the $6 more for the 6600K? You don't even have to overclock it.

That cooler looks less effective compared to the more common tower design. How are the reviews?
Estimated power use even with SLI is under 600W. 1000 is fucking ridiculous overkill.
Will you ever use that blu-ray burner?

Motherboard is probably defective.

>For the one on the right, why not just pay the $6 more for the 6600K? You don't even have to overclock it.

Because I don't intend to OC at all, apart from the RAM. The 6600 and the 6600k are exactly the same if you don't OC. Also, the K version is 50 dollars more in CAN.

Base clock is 200 mhz higher.

Oh shit you're right. Thanks.

Turbo clock is the same though. If you're not going to overclock or fill all pcie lanes, go for the cheaper motherboard.

FINALLY some input

Reviews for the H7 are great and are better than the H5 as far as I know.
Did I mention TRIPLE SLI? But yeah it's a meme just ignore it.

Yes I will use the blu-ray burner. It seems pretty cheap for an omni disk tray

Can Sup Forums give me any imput on how this looks?

I've never built a computer before, and honestly I'm a bit anxious.

I went and read a bit about each part and it all seems decent.

But maybe there is something that might pop out to others who are more experienced.

Also for context, trying to build a gaming rig after years of being a filthy poorfag with a shit laptop, I actually have the money for something nice for once.

Thanks.

get an ssd to put your OS on. Maybe 250gb? Nothing less than that.
Also why did you want the EVGA 1070 over anything else? just curious

what's low powered mini-itx/processor combo for a NAS. something like 60AUD for processor

No specific reason, just cannibalized a few premade lists that were up on that site that seemed to have good reception.

Would something else be preferable?

Is it worth to build a PC that isn't for gaming?
I kind of want to build one, but without spending too much money on the GPU, but I keep hearing that a prebuilt computer is cheaper.

Still here.

if you have any clue what you're doing you can get the same performance cheaper, and/or you can get a higher quality case and components, and you can make it run quiet as fuck, nearly silent

It's way more cost-effective to buy a used one and replace the hard drive.

personally i wouldn't buy a used computer, the prices on used pcs and smartphones are inflated because of the high demand, and most people are stupid and careless when it comes to ESD protection and whatnot

That's why you get an old workstation. Less chances that it's been fucked with, and you can find one with a sandy bridge i5 for well under $200. More than enough for most people.

ok that's sounds reasonable

I have an i3 2100 and my motherboard says it can support the i7-3770S.
Do you guys think it's worth the upgrade from SB to IB or should I get the best SB CPU?

nope I just changed from a sapphire 7950 to a gigabyte 1060 while still using a H97/4670 and everythings working fine. Just use ddu to wipe your graphics drivers clean before installing the new card

>wiping graphics drivers
Literally why? Do you wipe the drivers if you change your wifi card? Do you wipe them after unplugging a USB drive?

are you sure you need a CPU upgrade? maybe an SSD would give a more noticeable improvement

not him but i still have some nvidia bullshit after transplanting my windows installation from a crashed pc to one with an amd card

And uninstalling the software didn't work?

I need to desperately upgrade from my 560ti.

Torn between $275 RX480 or $300 Nitro Fury. 1080p Freesync monitor so sticking with AMD this time. What do?

>lightbulb in PSU
every fucking time

to prevent complications? It doesnt take very long to do, just run ddu and it does everything for you.

not really planning on changing anything in the near future, but while I'm here any thoughts on my current build?

>6600k @ 4.5GHz / 1.29V stable
note: gpu was free, MSI sent it for no charge after rma-ing an r9 270

should i upgrade my 2500k to a 6600k or should i wait for Zen

Is this a boy or girl?

Fellow 2500k fag here. Just OC it if you haven't and pair it up with some 2133Mhz DDR3 and hold out a little longer. I'm upgrading to Zen or Kabylake.

>Zen

is this a serious question? why would you not wait to atleast see if Zen nukes the market

>Kabylake
now this is worth waiting for

yes

>why would you not wait to atleast see if Zen nukes the market
Don't trust AMD. Seems too good to be true.
>Just OC it if you haven't
Already have but it's a shit chip. 1.4V just to get 4.4 stable.
>2133Mhz DDR3
1866 is good enough.

>1.4v

Jesus you lost the lottery bad. Most people get 4.4 on no volt change or very little.

>Jesus you lost the lottery bad. Most people get 4.4 on no volt change or very little.
Yep. I only thought about upgrading it when I noticed I was getting framedrops in TW3 with a 970 even when I turned down the settings.

Yeah bad FPS lows seems to be an issue with these older chips. I'm definitely getting an i7 this time around, or equivalent. The i7 3770k is holding up today much better today. Nearly matching Skylake i5 perf.

When is Zen supposed to be coming?

""""soon""""

Limited release maybe around December. Maybe. Maaaaaaaaaybe.

~Q1 2017 is supposed to be when it will be in hitting stores like Newegg.

Just ignore it until we get some more concrete info, hopefully by Nov we might know if this thing will really bring AMD back.

After upgrading my cpu/mobo and my gpu not being very compatible I'm looking to get a new one in the near future.

For around $200 what do you think is the best card to get? I'm not in a rush and will probably buy it in a few months. Any card I should lookout for sales on?

~$200 - RX470

~$250 GTX 1060 6G or RX480 8G if prices level off

Any specific brand or model I should go for, or just the cheapest 6gb, 8gb, etc.Tbh I have been out of the loop. I only upgraded my gpu last 5 years ago
Thanks I'll look out for some sales. Are there any new cards coming out that might be more bang for buck?

Nah these are the new bang for buck cards. You can see some benchmarks on Digital Foundry (Youtube).

MSI, Sapphire, and XFX are good choices for AMD

MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte, and Zotac are good for Nvidia

Usually a good idea to steer clear of ASUS right now with GPUs. If you see an ASUS card you like make sure you do some research into professional reviews to see if there are any cut corners that could affect thermal performance.

Thanks. I appreciate the help. I'll mark this stuff down and check it from time to time

Try cleaning out the dust and replacing the thermal paste.

It is fine. Add a second SSD, maybe, if the first is filling up too fast.

I suggest a GTX 1060.
>FreeSync!
I have a Gsync screen. It is not that big a deal. And in most games other than Crysis/Witcher, you are going to get a high enough FPS that FreeSync is not going to matter.

pcpartpicker.com/user/KungFoodMaster/saved/cZs9TW

I want a future proof pc that is very fast and powerful. I'd prefer a price around 1500. Through work I can get the processor for around $100 and hopefully the 1080 will go down in price when I have enough money to buy. Advice on lowering price further while not sacrificing a metric assload of performance?

There is no such thing as a future proof PC.

But to lower prices:
-get a lesser HSF
-unless you have lots of blu-ray stuff, switch to a DVD OD
-you can always stick with 8GB, and add more later when needed
-you can get a cheaper full tower (though I have the 760T and it IS excellent!)

I need a storage solution for my new build:

1) Pool up enough money for 1 quality SSD drive (1TB), shove everything on there (OS + Applications/Games) (Super expensive, ~$400)

2) Use existing 256GB SSD for OS, get a 1TB shitty SSD for applications/games. (expensive, ~$250)

3) Use existing 256GB SSD for OS, use a 1TB HDD for application/games (cheapest)

Stupid question: I built my PC with i5 6500 + EVGA GYX 1060 GAMING + Asus VG248QE 144 Hz monitor. I can get around 110-150 fps on my games, but since they're old (2007-2008), they're not optimized for modern stuff, then the fps may drastically drop from one moment to another based on maps/players' amount ecc.ecc. They're both source games, then I'm wondering what I could expect if I turned V-sync on. Since I'm running them on a 144 Hz monitor, would V-sync limit the fps close to 144 fps or would it limit the fps to around 60 fps?

Is it stupid to change my computer case without making a new build?

I hate this case.

Vsync will limit FPS to your screen refresh rate, or to a 1/multiple of the refresh rate.

So, 144, 72, 36, etc.

Meaning if you turn Vsync on and your are not getting 144+FPS, you will be getting 72FPS.

For a good graphics card that typically gets high FPS, better to keep Vsync off.

If you can afford it, and it will make you happier, go for it.

Ok thank you for the explanation.

I would do (2) if the second drive is for applications. If you instead needed to store media, I would go for (3).

CS and TF2? Post your launch options and autoexec.

Also, clock on processor?

>CS and TF2? Post your launch options and autoexec.
TF2 and Fistful of Frags. I'm on mobile now, I can't remember all of the commands very well. Fps max at 200, bad connection options, ragdolls disabled.
>Also, clock on processor?
Honestly I never checked it. I guess it's around 3.40 GHz. GPU usage is around 10-15 %

>[Update] [Auto] No new posts
In the launch options, you can expect better performance if you type "-threads 4"

I'll try once I come home. What does it do?

fps max 299.
OC. Source games are retardedly focused on CPU.

Some processors respond well to that and others don't.

Asrock Z97 Pro 3 just died on me after a little over a year.

am i being too paranoid or should i just go for the 3 year? is MSI better than Asrock (even if it's a little cheaper)

actually, just noticed this mobo is normally 10 bucks more than the Pro3 it's just on sale so they're pretty much the same, if not this one is better.

It allows the source engine to utilize more than just 1 thread, giving you higher fps

Is 2x Crucial Ballistix Sports 8G RAM worth the $20 difference over regular Crucial RAM?
I'm considering it because my stupid case has a window and all my other parts will be red and black GMRRRR style shit.

don't buy gaymur ram with heatsinks.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148859

falcon please add this to your website. too many newfags fall for the ram heatsink jew.