Someone told me Linux was easy to break through typical everyday use...

Someone told me Linux was easy to break through typical everyday use. What can I do right now to break Linux that's not supposed to cause it to break?

Trying to break it by updating right now... we'll see.

remove the power in a hurry

I guess it depends on the distro, OP. Or are you actually referring to the kernel?

Just unplugged it and nothing happened.

I'm on Fedora.

unplug while running

>Someone told me
Nice bait/meme post, OP.

I did. I can't take the battery out because I have to remove the bottom from my shitty dell. But that's not typical use anyway.

>tfw gonna boot into my new kernel now
wish me luck guys. Someone told me this always breaks it.

Well that was painless. I guess Linux really is rock solid.

as root, run the following command and close the terminal when it's done

chmod -R 777 /

How is that a command I would typically run though? kek.

I'm asking if maybe there is a combination of programs or setting or something that will bork my system. Like turning on Apache and Nginx at the same time or setting my screen brightness too low.

I heard linux would be easy to break on accident.

you need arch or gentoo for that and even then it has to be unupdated for a year.

What do you mean with 'breaking Linux'?
Which kind of result do you actually want to see and why?

>Which kind of result do you actually want to see

An unusable system

>why

Because I was told it was easy to break.

It is almost impossible to get a completely unusable system, without delibaretely doing stuff like deleting everything.

Sage, because you are stupid as fuck.

K

go in /boot and delete everything

>How is that a command I would typically run though? kek.

using chmod to change permissions recursively isn't that out of the ordinary, neither is using i accidentally on root (hello bumblebee rm -rf /usr or steam deleting /)

>I'm asking if maybe there is a combination of programs or setting or something that will bork my system.

absolutely not

>I heard linux would be easy to break on accident.

it's easy to break with a root shell, as is windows in all fairness

however you're not going to break it on accident and if you do you'll always have recovery kernels to boot to, unless you're a retard and disable them

First you need a plan.
You can't just break something out of thin air.

You've started at the right place though. An unstable distribution like Fedora. But Ubuntu may be easier. Normal every day usage can include adding ppa from launch pad, so add the gnome one and see if that helps. Then add a few proprietary drivers, and maybe consider the Ubuntu unstable repo behind many warnings.

>unstable distribution like Fedora

>install unstable software and your system will break

Well duh

Some says that if you immerse your linux pc in water, it will break.

You can still easily fix all of these mistakes.

test

if you don't know what fuzzing or stress testing is then you probably won't break it. there are tons of bugs that you can find in bug trackers though.

that will only break if you update kernels, and delete the old ones while updating so you dont have a working kernel to boot with grub. And is usually easly fixed with a single package manager command if you are using apt/dnf

running chmod 777 recursively is pretty uncommon.

it wouldnt break it anyway. Ive been using arch for years and when Im lazy I shut it off by flipping the switch in the psu

I've seen far to many installations with chmod 0777 / in a crontab. Running every 5 minutes. But hey, at least the disk structure is all in cache.

>how many is to many?
A single one is to many. I've seen more then one.

all modern Linux distros use a journaling file system aka "something really hard to hose, even if you pull the plug."

You might lose a bit of data, but I can guarantee you won't hose the FS.

>cmus

Good man.

Like have your disk so full for extended period that algorithms that normally keep things defragmented stop functining properly? Or >2016 >Have swap, stutering everywhere once memory pressure forces kernel to start swapping. Or the related having so much programs open that OOM starts killing stuff?

Somebody once told me something too. They told me the world was going to roll me.

This whole thread is stupid. Go away shitposter.

Alt+SysRq+B