I just spent the last 2 weeks installing Arch Linux. I'm not even fucking joking...

I just spent the last 2 weeks installing Arch Linux. I'm not even fucking joking. The install process is just the most convoluted and confusing fucking procedure ever. I followed the beginner's guide many times. It wouldn't be a problem if the fucking guide actually explained to me in plain English WHAT THE FUCK the commands even. Then maybe I wouldn't have made so many typos due to mindlessly copying commands straight from the page.
It wasn't even the typos that set me back the most, it was that it kept asking me fucking edit files. How the fuck am I supposed to edit files when I'm on a fucking command line? There is no Word or notepad ++ to open to edit the files.
It asked me to edit sources.list and after spending around a fucking hour trying to figure out how to even get to the file without a fucking mouse cursor and I couldn't figure out how to edit it. You can't do that shit from the command line.
I used the famed 'pacman' (who the fuck names a command after an ancient video game?) to install note pad ++ but all it gave me was errors.

Anyone who uses this awful command line bullshit is a fucking time wasting retard. Use a real OS for fuck's sake.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rWRkho6OREQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Should've installed Gentoo. The handbook for installation is hands-down retard-proof.

Nice memes

i'll take the bait
i don't even have much experience with linux other than mint but i printed out the installation guide from the wiki and followed it. it only took me about 15 minutes.

>How the fuck am I supposed to edit files when I'm on a fucking command line?
Are you retarded?
'linux edit file command line' is a ten seconds Google search. That is including the time to clink on, read and comprehend the first result.

>he tried to CLI install without knowing how to use CLI

DESU, i thought bait when I saw the original post but then it go me thinking.

OP, have you been to your local GP or doctor to check if you're fucking thick?

If it took you more than a couple hours to install Arch, then it isn't the best choice for you.

No hard feelings.

>I'm a complete retard, and yet I chose to install the most difficult OS a retard can try to install just so I can shit about it later
>didn't even read which linux distribution is easy or difficult to install, even though the link is in the sticky of this board
>chose to use the regular command line installer instead of the normie one
Your fault for not using an out of the box desktop OS. You have to be 18+ to post on this board, or at least know something about technology.

>hours
youtube.com/watch?v=rWRkho6OREQ

To be fair, Arch doesn't have an official graphical installer any more.

You shouldn't be installing arch by copy-pasting commands, you seem dumber than the average gaymer.

If you have done it before and nothing goes wrong (hello missing wireless drivers), then really it takes a few minutes. Very similar to OpenBSD's install.

Debian and Ubuntu takes a lot longer, but are way more newbie-friendly.

And yet it's still easier than a Debian install

I see what you did. Clever, but the dumbasses who use Windows are too stupid to catch the subtle jabs, and only the full blown Linux autists will respond because they don't pick up on the subtlties in your post.
I get where you're coming from, but I think you may be wasting your time trying to have some fun.

Obviously bait. Sage goes in all fields.

If you wish to edit a file type "nano "

STEP 1
use loadkeys and setfont commands to load your specific keyboard layout and set the font to your language (murricans can skip this)

STEP 2
connect to the internet
if you're on wireless use wifi-menu
if you're on ethernet use dhcpcd

STEP 3
set the time using timedatectl set-ntp true (this command essentially enables clock synchronization through your network)

STEP 4
partition your disk!
if you're dual booting with windoze check if you're in legacy or uefi mode
legacy needs to run MBR, uefi should run GPT
use the appropriate partitioning tool (i use cfdisk)
check out the arch wiki for common partition schemes the simplest one is just one big root partition

STEP 5
make the file systems using the mkfs command on the partitions
if you have a swap partition use mkswap

STEP 6
mount the partitions with umount command
if you have multiple partitions you'll have to make mount point directories and be careful in what order you're mounting

STEP 7
edit the mirror list (basically just put a few links closest to your physical location on the top of the document)

STEP 8
install the base system onto your root folder using the pacstrap script

STEP 9
genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
run this command, it generates a file system table
think of it like a list of chapters at the beginning of a book
the chapters are the partitions you made on your system

STEP 10
chroot into your root!
set your locale, timezone and hostname
set the root password
install grub

that's it you can now exit chroot, unmount and reboot into your new base arch loonix system

Would bang.

I've installed Arch with having zero knowledge about Linux in one hour and a half.

>Tripfags calling out namefags

>2 weeks to install arch
is this seriously how stupid Sup Forums has become?

Being an Arch Linux user it feels good to know I'm just like the LISP hackers, our forefathers of computing, and that this experienced was gained and maintained through my own perseverance. Sure it'll have a few hours of system instability each day just to pull up my e-mail but, you know, it's all totally worth it. It's something that only I and a handful of others know how to do making us much more valuable than the numerous sheeple and plebians of distributions not worthy of mention. Sadly my story will not be told, my history will not be recorded, for I am an Arch Linux user.. a hacker who's destiny is a lonely one, because it's the secrecy that makes us worth while.

Yet another reason to purchase the new Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

Lmao i followed a youtube video and my arch was installes in 30 minutes. Coming from windows 10. You need basic pc knowledge which you don't have

>a tripfag calling out a namefag

holy shit they're turning on each other

Installed*

The arch install is convoluted and ridiculous.

That being said it is by no means hard to do.

>made so many typos due to mindlessly copying commands straight from the page.

Not sure, why are you falling for obvious trolling? See above.

Took me 2 hours the first time using the beginners guide, literally just follow the guide.

Hey guys, I use Arch Linux™, because knowing how to rollback pacman package updates makes me an EXPERT HACKER SYSADMIN.
Pic related, it's my desktop. Arch Linux™ master race.

I don't get whats so hard about installing Arch. I did it drunk as fuck in like 30 minutes one day without knowing anything about CLI other than cd and ls.

Is it?