Convince me to switch to linux

convince me to switch to linux

Stay on windows op

why would you switch if you are satisfied?
t. a linux user

You don't need to. But you are free to try it. So if you get bored or have an old macjhine you don't use(or a pi) you know what to do.

Sup Forums ruins the linux community. I use linux on my main machine and on my laptop. Its up to you wether you want to change to linux or not. There are software alternatives and some windows software's can be run with WINE. If anything use a live usb and try it out. If you like it keep it. You can always dual boot.

no

Don't, OP. I strongly do believe Microsoft is one of the most trustworthy corporations on this planet Earth. The people that mentions "spying" have something to hide, they don't "spy". They send data to make your user experiance better for yourself.

There is literally ZERO (0) reasons to use Linux over Windows.

>Sup Forums ruins the linux community
lol fucking tool
I'm sure shitposts on Sup Forums just wreak havoc on the mailing lists and irc, woe is me!

No. Fuck off. If you aren't motivated enough to get away from Windows, you should stick with that piece of crap. You won't miss a thing.

You shouldn't switch to linux. If you really desperately need linux just install the linux subsystem on windows 10.

Obviously there is good reason to use Linux over Windows, if Microsoft includes a poorly implemented version of it in their OS.

are there any downsides to doing this?

could it fuck up stability?

You will switch again when you'll see the horrible fonts you'll get on almost every website + horrible boutons.
Don't bother tinker with the font rendering, it's a waste of time.

found the underage

>are there any downsides to doing this?
Windows 10.

Yes, windows 10

You could call AU "collection of MS greatest fuckups"

Fonts look worse on Windows.
You must have tried a meme distro like Debian or Fedora.

You can try it without installing it. That's one of the features of linux, so use it. If you liked it, dual boot.
but they were really suspicious with windows 10 upgrade, it was so annoying that they made updates just to make "upgrade tool" more annoying. I trusted windows until windows 7, after that, it just gets worse and worse
It's free and respects your opinions, such as "I don't want to install upgrades"

I am so thankful i took an economics class(and use common sense). They are a company they dont care about you they care about your money its not only about microsoft, every company that wants to stay alive cares about money most. Their means of getting that money is different for most companies.

Also if they really cared about user experience they would have started fixing their buggy os and their crappy built in tools a long time ago

which os looks better?

which one is better for programming?

This.
Windows and OSX will never compete with Ubuntu's font rendering.
Try a live USB and form your own opinion you beta cuck.

I'm talking about websites. Whatever font you put it will look bad.

It's garbage. You lose all benefits of Linux by layering it on top of the shit heap that is Windows. Hello viruses. Hello bloat. Hello spying. There's many, many, reasons not to do this. Windows is making a last ditch attempt to save itself and get with the times. Too late, everyone else was innovating while Microsoft was busy being the same sleazy crooks they've always been.

aren't live usbs slow a fuck though?

doesn't that take away from trying it out if it's a slow and unemployable experience

Microsoft took 27 years to implement virtual desktops, and it's a gnome shell's knockoff.
>unemployable experience
Learn english first you POO IN LOO.

>Learn english first you POO IN LOO.
nice autism you got there, sport

>can't speak english
>people point it out
>gets mad and calls autism
Sirr you have wirrus i am from microsfots

If you have no reason to use Linux, don't.

>autism intesifies

>Ad-hominem
Out of arguments Rajesh?

Linux is beautiful system, sadly not ‘idiot-proof’. You have to have experience with computers to run Linux smoothly. ‘I-wanna-be-a-cool-Linux-kid-too’ attitude won’t get you far. You may become grouchy Linux hater, pouring your discontent all over the Web. Everything lies in your psyche: if you’re ready to accept failure and not giving up in case of trouble – give it a go.

Backup

Even if you use your computer just to shitpost you need a backup solution.
Fast, incremental, mostly automated and, most importantly, reliable.

Windows (since at least Windows 7) is the only OS in the market that doesn't have a reliable built-in backup solution. And the after market backup solutions for Windows are proprietary, not tested, expensive, hard to use and you risk having your data locked in an incompatible format.

And before the shills start spouting lies, Windows 7 backup and Windows 8 and 10 file history is completely unreliable and hard (more than that, impossible) to configure to take an incremental full system backup that could give you a bootable image of your system with all your files, installed software and settings. It may look like the backup works but when you actually need the backup you find it hasn't saved everything, which is worse than no backup at all!

Mac OS X, memes aside, has Time Machine which is easy to use, fast, reliable and just needs another Mac (not necessarily you Mac) to restore your files and it's easy to use by normies. GNU/Linux (and by association, Ubuntu) has multiple free, reliable and tested backup solutions that are equal or better than Time Machine.

Losing your files is the worst thing an OS can do therefore Windows is truly an OS for cucks.

Switch to Ubuntu (or for that matter any other GNU/Linux distribution)

Not to mention the backup solutions Linux has that are better than OS X's OS X can also use.

Ubuntu is great I'm using it for the last 3 years and it has been great I play more emulators like gba and pcsx2 runs great. I have dual boot with win7 just in case but I don't really need it for anything. I guess if you don't play many games you really don't need windows.

If you don't plan to use software that only exists for windows (and is not willing to make a vm with gpu pass through, etc) stay with windows.
Else linux does everything else similar or better.

TL;DR
>Want to use autocad or play vidya and don't want to setup VMs and shit?
Go with windows.
>For anything else
Linux.

7 is fine, but if you're using 10 you might want to consider other options.

Don't switch, use both. They have different use cases.

If you make windows you're grub default, you can switch to linux everytime you boot.
(pic unrelated)

ITT: Newfags

>fruity loops

Your opinion doesn't matter anymore.

>Sup Forums ruins the linux community

Not even close, the linux community has always been shit and the one with the most shills.
Ironically, the ones who shitpost telling you how superior loonix is and how shit windows/osx is tend to be the dumb, newbie ones.

I've never had linux program crash on me, but in 10 minutes of photo cropping textbook diagrams in win10 paint, it crashed twice

But lets be honest, you want to stay on win10 because you are addicted to vidya

Speaking of photos, in Windows 10 the new, awesome, magical, uwa (universal windows app or however they call their shit api nowadays) photos app doesn't allow you to see your photos full screen!

I'm not making this up, the default photo viewing program doesn't allow you to view your photos full screen (at least not without also enabling slideshow)

Windows 10: The first OS designed by Indians, tested by monkeys to be used exclusively by gamer drones

It's pretty nice, OP. I personally use Arch on my desktop, and it's pretty comfy once you finally get it installed and configured the way you like it.

But I can't convince you with just that. The only thing that will convince you is you, trying it out yourself and seeing if it's something that you'll like.

Give it a try in a virtualbox. You have nothing to lose that way.

I switched to Fedora 24 a few weeks ago. I set it up as dual boot with Windows 10 but I haven't needed to boot into Windows since. I am very impressed with how good Linux is these days.

Do you ever post anything that isn't completely fucking retarded? You're in every goddamn thread with your weeb name

Switch to Mac OS

on the spot security updates as soon as there's a zero day like when the jews attacked us with 3 the other day

underrated banter

PAJEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

It just works ™

I know, i have windows installed on a virtual machine just for two or three programs i need but that will replace ASAP on the first chance. For me there's literally ZERO (0) reasons to use Windows over Linux.

>the linux community has always been shit and the one with the most shills.

Don't.

this
even with infinality and all the different font packages it still looks like shit, miles away from osx rendering and even worse than windows cleartype

also you'll hear a lot of "you can do anything you want on linux and customise it the way you like" - this is total bullshit, unless you are capable of coding your own distro, dont fall for it

windows never really needed virtual desktops because of the way their widow manager works, e.g. all the stuff you would put on different virtual desktops in Gnome, in windows you would simply minimize it to taskbar and open back whenever you wanted, and it worked thanks to very easy and straightforward gui. Even now i almost never use virtual desktops on my win10 machine, but use them constantly in fedora with gnome, because its taskbar ( and all linux DEs/WMs taskbars in general ) is just useless shit unlike the windows one.

... but im not actually blaming anyone, its just how things turned out, different mindsets, different methods of multitasking implementation

You have to learn Linux in order to use it. I mean actually learn it. Most tutorials don't help, because Linux is always being updated. If you want something on windows you download it, and it auto installs. But if something is not in the repository of the linux you are using, it's going to take you awhile. I tried Linux and I couldn't deal with it. Things that was taking 4-5 hours sometimes way longer, would only take 20 seconds on windows. When people say that Linux is useful and widely use. Don't believe the hype. For servers, phones, and pen testing etc, yes Linux is useful. But for your everyday desktop use. No steam, longer times trouble shooting, constantly trying to figure why things are not working, having to search for hours for a solution. Linux is a time sink. So save your time no need to spend hours on end trying to get your os system to run.

>TLDR
It's more complicated then it should be. You will spend more time trying to get it to work, then using it

>>the linux community has always been shit and the one with the most shills.
Any discussion about any non-Linux OS will be derailed by many Linux shills braying on how happy they are since they ditched the OS under discussion and found LInus. They add nothing to the sum of human knowledge since we already know thatthey are in the depths of self-justification.
I'd suggest a quick personality test would show that most of them fall near a certain point.

Really weak bait.

Install Gentoo

theres literally 0 reasons to use ubuntu

THIS. I crashed Debian multiple times trying to install themes and customize it. Just too many things unsupported.

>i didn't know what i was doing, therefore, it's the operating system's fault

>follows youtube instructions
> follows the websites instructions
> follows the Debian instructions

You want to feel as though you are worthy of being called a ``Sup Forumsentooman'', right?
You want to feel as though you deserve to call your self ``tech savvy'', right?
You don't want people you have never met nor will ever meet to make fun of you anonymously over the internet, do you?
Install ©GNU®™ + ©Ubuntu Linux®™ and make your dreams a reality and quell your fears at the same time.

>There is literally ZERO (0) reasons to use Linux over Windows.

Yes! Use Windows 10 good goyim. Do not worry about any tracking or selling your data, including keystrokes for logins & SSH passwords for example! DirectX12 is here! Buy the latest games through the Windows Store.

>he had to follow instructions and still fucked it up
>therefore, operating system's fault

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

There is literally ZERO (0) reasons to use Windows over Linux

i tried everything to configure mpd + ncmpcpp to read my music folder from 1TB ntfs drive. None of the suggested "fixes" like set mpd to root or reconfigure ntfs-3g worked. Rhythmbox worked though, out of the box, with zero problems, but i didnt install linux to settle with "out of the box" solutions, and so far i had way better experience with both "out of the box" and extra/third party stuff in windows.

mind you, its not that uncommon in linux world. If you stick to default repos you will be allright, but as soon as you start wishing for something that isnt there - be sure to have a lot of free time before you start.

are you 12?

If you got something and you followed the instructions three times and it did not work is it your fault? Like someone said you have to know programming to figure it out. And like I said it gets updated so often that instructions often become outdated quickly.

Depends on what you do and how retarded you are. Installing themes is just copying files. If you "crash" Debian doing that, you are the problem.

this attitude is why linux desktop will never prevail.

>another child repeating the same overused meme on Sup Forums episode

You crash your system copying files and blame the Linux. A Sup Forums user tells you you are retarded because you can't copy files and you blame Linux.

anal-annihilated samefag

>windows 10 buttblasted babby

oh wew

By crash I could still run the system. It's just that if I tried to enable themes again. Gnome would give me a error and log me out. Then i would log back in and it was back to default themes. I deleted the themes I tried everything nothing worked. And if it was just copying files it shouldn't have crashed. If I told you go left to get to the park, and you went left and there was no park. Were you wrong cause you couldn't follow my instructions? No obviously not! But eye if you want to blame the guy who followed instructions instead of the guy who said go left instead of right.

Works fine on my machine.

What theme user?

This is not bait: I have laptop with win10 (prob gonna dual boot) and a desktop with linux, and I'm starting to seriously resent win10 for lack of customisation. Window's version of "customisation" is ... "hey guize, how bout these live tiles :DDDD"

It's almost embarrassing how gaudy windows feels after having that freedom

>being THIS autistic
lmao

I bought (yes yes poke all the fun you wish) windows 10 pro out of necessity because of my new Skylake based system. Windows 7 refused to install. Not to mention no native support for Albany of the cool new features my motherboard offers/lack of overall driver support for 7 for my board.

Windows 10 is great just as 7 was for overall usability, program compatibility, and stability. Only there are many issues, including the inability to turn off updates (you can only make it so the PC prompts you for a restart instead of just doing it automatically), and Telemetry. Memes aside, telemetry is indeed a bad thing. Every keystroke you make (yes including passwords, usernames, etc!) Has the potential to be keylogged, and sent in a nice convenient data packet to MS. Many look past this for sale of their programs. (Games, professional software, not wanting to learn something new).

Linux on the other hand, especially Ubuntu flavors (I personally use 16.04 MATE), are user friendly, easy to install, and provides a great windows alternative. More and more games are getting native Linux support as time goes on. Linux also has the built in "security" that windows doesn't have from viruses and malware in general. You'll encounter very few, if any, such things in the wild with Linux. Lastly is the knowledge of knowing your info isn't being ripped off you to go sit on MS servers. I personally use Linux for banking, email, some games (when compatible), and encryption.

>TL,DR
Linux is for privacy and ease of mind, and windows is for play or work.

The number one thing truly holding Linux from the mainstream is no Adobe suite support, and no major CAD or architectural programs being supported.

>customization over functionality

I installed my mist theme by downloading a zip file, extracting it into ~/.themes and selecting it in the appearance settings on Debian Xfce. If you have an error you'll have to research. I don't know what the issue with your system is that it happens with something so basic.

>another child repeating the same overused meme on Sup Forums episode

kek stay mad autist

default, classic shell for transparent taskbar

>another child repeating the same overused meme on Sup Forums episode.

I sure hope you aren't referring to game benchmarks or something when you said "functionality"

Word processing, web stuff, and pycharm covers 90% of what I do, and the ONLY time I need to boot into windows is to use Lightroom, but windows is noticeably slower and takes much longer to boot into

>I use this word, but I don't know what it actually means
W E W L A D
E
W
L
A
D

>so mad he responds twice

lmao

>uses a vpn to pretend he didn't respond twice

LMAO!

Are you a turbo autists manchild? Use linux