k...kill.. me...

What the fuck is a dog fish vga finger?

>Volvo

I dont understand ....

>current year
>doesn't use a dog fish vga finder
god I hate summerfags

Why is this bad?

A laptop that actually runs cool and doesn't get throttled like mad?

Seems okay to me.

Now that. That's a joke.

how can someone fail that bad

You're right, missing a w and correcting it is a pretty huge failure.

I am ashamed.

>biostar

sorry dub

The motherboard from this one-off PC concept ASUS did earlier this year

>Thermal paste in the crack of the last pipe, which isn't even touching the thermal paste square
How does that even happen

The chip is really only touching two pipes.

kek

I do think that they just rely on paste for all the contact work

But summer is over user.

>A laptop
I hope this is b8

Better than EVGA

You don't really know how thermodynamics work do you

2/3 pipes touching versus 1.5/5 touching. EVGA are closer.

It's an incredibly inefficient design. A solid block touching the die and linking the heatpipes would result in far superior heat transfer. Direct contact heatpipes are a literal meme and marketing scam that should have died off years ago.

do heat pipes actually do anything? given that all the metal in that picture is connected, unless the pipes are made of a different material than the fins wouldn't heat just radiate outward across the metal rather than following the pipes?

The pipes have fluid in them that dissipates heat by turning into gas and then condensing back as it moves the length of the pipe.
Much more efficient than solid metal. This obviously wouldn't apply to the third pipe in that pic, one because it's not making contact with the chip and two because it's not sealed

their primary function is as a pressure (internal pressure is lower than external pressure) and containment vessel for the working fluid inside, and to allow wicking of the working fluid after it has released its heat-load back to the source.

Their secondary function as they're typically made of copper is heat transfer through the metal.

did you just say that weird shapped motherboard was made specifically for that weird shaped computer?
Are we 1980's again?

but guess what the pipes are touching!

can we get a picture of all of them now?

how about MSI?

>sapphire

no, its
>glimpse in to the future

DELET THIS

Literally perfect.
That huge thermal mass will soak up spikes in temperature, and is connected to all the heat pipes so the heat will dissipate rapidly.

Also, that's a vapor chamber, so it works differently to nearly all other cards.

Sapphire cards are great you faggot cuck

Midori desu!

keep shilling, someone might take you seriously

Triggered, Nvidiot?

>Direct contact heatpipes are a literal meme and marketing scam that should have died off years ago.
It works fine if they cover the entire chip ala Evo 212, where the CPU is big enough to do this sort of thing.

Until you get one that dies, and they send you to Athlon Micro for an RMA

The real reason behind it is because it's cheaper. Less parts, less metal, less manufacturing complexity. Putting a base on there, be it pure copper or not, and polishing it to a mirror finish is just extra steps when you can just flatten the heatpipe and leave them exposed. It's why cheaper coolers have direct contact, whereas higher end coolers like Noctuas provide a block.

Asus are a terrible fucking company, so it's no surprise to see them saving a few cents by going direct contact, along with no bothering to cool the memory.or VRMs properly. Compared to MSI's with its solid block and secondary cooling plate, it's just embarrassing.

why isn't the chip rotated 90 degrees so that more heat pipes can touch it??

Why isn't your mom rotated 90 degrees onto my dick yet?

That is one sexy Heatsink and PCB.

IMO direct contact only really works when the chip in question has a heatspreader.

>Kuroutoshikou

Because nVidia doesn't package them diagonally. AMD does.

If it weren't for that copper, I'd say this would be a great opportunity to use Cool Laboratory.

I've been using XFX for years, this is making me wonder if their cooling solutions are efficient.

Why do they include heat pipes in CPU coolers, when you are just going to mount the HSF sideways on the motherboard anyway?
Only half of the pipe would be higher than the contact point of the chip. Wouldn't this make them significantly less effective if heat pipes do anything?

At least with GPU coolers I imagine most are positioned upright, since the card is mounted sideways.

Because its a far more effective and efficient manner to transport heat away from the core than using straight metal conduction.

It also, with few exceptions, has minimal effect on the cooling capacity of the heatsink depending on its orientation.

>MSI

wat

msi gaming models actually do this shit right.

They have a base plate to spread heat to all the heat pipes, they nickel plate everything to prevent oxidation, and they solder fins to the heat pipes (at least on high end models).

now this, this is truly horrible.

Sapphire also have base-plates and solder the fins to heatpipes, but they use mostly straight copper for the plates.

base-plates are a meme.

>Heatpipes connected directly to the surface of the CPU will cool it more efficiently for a short period of time (we were told "about an hour" by Zalman), but as heat builds and time progresses, that tends to equalize; direct touch heatpipes are not often noticeably more effective than polished base plates when it comes to endurance cooling. What is noticeable, though, is a copper base versus an aluminum one -- you'll want copper exposed directly to the CPU for best heat wicking potential.

this assumes that the base plate is just a solid block of metal and not a vapor chamber.

An overclocked CPU produces maybe 150W of heat. Why then do these CPUs need massive coolers like pic to keep them in cool when 120W GPUs get away with coolers like ?

>CPU
CPU

The CPU already has a heat-spreader, so a base-plate does very little.
Straight onto the die though, a base-plate can absorb heat-spikes better than straight heat-pipes, so that the card doesn't throttle during them.

That overclocked CPU emitting 150w of thermal energy will run at around 50-60c under that big noctua heatsink.

A stock speed flagship GPU will be running at 70-90c using the type of heatsinks pictured above, with the fans spinning at high RPM (lots of noise).

They don't. My [email protected] hits 75'c on an NH-D9L

>Straight onto the die though, a base-plate can absorb heat-spikes

Sounds like straight up pseudo science.

So is all the direct contact shit. If it really was better, then Noctua would use it instead of their nickel-plated micro-fin base-plates.

or maybe they do it because people think "Oooh shiny!" and buy it?

That's Asus's marketing strategy with DirectCU.
>ooh! It's "Direct Contact!", that means it's better!

Because we all know that Asus coolers are good.

Why aren't there heatsink shots of every graphics card?
Mine is a Galax rebrand but I can't seem to find any shot that shows the base of the heatsink.
Ones that I do find suggest a decent contact spreader for the GPU but I won't be happy until I see that bottom shot.

Have you ever heard a high powered GPU under heavy load?

Did you notice how the people 3 houses down thought a 747 was about to land on them?

That's fucking why

are they not?

is there an updated version of this?

The Stock ASUS card is clocked lower.

>Asus Strix
>Default
Base Clock : 1759 MHz
Boost Clock : 1898 MHz
>OC mode
Base Clock : 1784 MHz
Boost Clock : 1936 MHz

>Gaming X (the hottest of the bunch)
1847 MHz / 1708 MHz (OC Mode)
1822 MHz / 1683 MHz (Gaming Mode)
1733 MHz / 1607 MHz (Silent Mode)

Basically, default of Asus is higher clocked than OC mode of MSI piece of shit card.

The hardware review sites have gotten lazy. They will at best only take apart the reference card that is sent to them.
Usually you have to rely on user posts on forums that show you the guts of the partner cards.

>(the hottest of the bunch)
fans don't spin at all until it hits 60C though

It should be mandatory, MANDATORY, to take the heatsink off a graphics card when you review it.

You're not paying attention.
One of those pipes on the EVGA physically does nothing.

tell whichever hardware review site you use, see if they give a shit. If they do, that's pretty based. Otherwise find a new site.

that is simply not true. It may not be being used as efficiently as it could be, but it certainly isn't being unused. Heat will find it's way to that pipe as the other pipes reach thermal equilibrium.

>One of those pipes on the EVGA physically does nothing.
Actually, look at the way that heat pipe terminates at the other end. That's not normal for a liquid heatpipe is it? The other two terminate normally.

No, the pipe isn't sealed or anything, so it's even more useless since there's no fluid

>don't talk to me or my son ever again

the pipe isn't directly contacting the chip
it doesn't need to be filled and sealed

So why is it there?

maybe for mechanical support
or maybe it does transfer a small amount of heat and they just left in in
or they use the cooler for different things and 'disable' a heatpipe on lower tier cards

>AOL

>or they use the cooler for different things and 'disable' a heatpipe on lower tier cards
well it is from a 970 so it wouldnt be a surprise if it was gimped again

>dog vag finger

Looks OK to me OP
whats the problem here i dont get it

Wow, it's fucking nothing

>people think each of the heatpipes needs to touch the chip for """""effective""""" cooling

well, yes, that's the plan. air is an insulator, genius.