Start of classes

>start of classes
>professor says in order to properly organize student count per class among other professors, he needs our campus login info to switch our classes
>hands out sheets prompting login info
>I leave mine blank and say I forgot it
>After class I talk to him about confidentiality and he just tells me he needs it or he may have to drop me.

What the fuck. I've been taught my entire life never give out login info to anyone. I can't submit a complaint because they arent anonymous and I cant afford to drop this class.

Even though the guy has been teaching for probably 30+years he could singe handedly fuck everyone over as each account holds everything that has to do with your identity. (even banking if you use online payment)

What am I supposed to do? I seemingly don't have enough power to change anything and having a shitty $11.25/hr job + donations doesn't give me much option for classes.

give him real account/wrong password and see what happens

Give fake password.

Why would you have bank info on your college email/account?

Talk to university administration. What he's doing isn't just bad, it's straight up illegal. To the point that he could actually go to jail for it.

>>professor says in order to properly organize student count per class among other professors, he needs our campus login info to switch our classes
that makes no sense. who is this professor, your advisor?

Payment of tuition? At my university (one of the largest in the US), if someone gets your log in information, they have your SSN, address, bank info, grades, ability to manipulate your schedule, etc. It's terrifically stupid and insecure

Give the login info next time or I'll drop you. Last warning.

May as well be. He's head of computer sciences department/lab.
Even if it's for the campus he works for? Could it be possible for my campus to have hidden in a TOS somewhere "your login info can be viewed and or managed by our staff" or something? Or is there actually legality stating no matter what it is, I don't have to give login info
Not sure how far that will take me

maybe he's making a point on how stupid people are to give out that type of information

report his posterior to the dean and CC your email to the IT department head

>>professor says in order to properly organize student count per class among other professors, he needs our campus login info to switch our classes

Drop out, your university is retarded. Speak to someone in advising or the department itself as this shit makes no sense.

What did I tell you, Johnny-boy. Give me the fucking login info or I'll fucking drop your ass.

This Smells like social engineering - is there any chance this could be a test, which you have just passed?

Possibly, though he seemed serious when I was talking to him about it after class. I'll see how long I can go without giving it to him.

if this is actually what he's doing, he's probably been doing this to students for a long time and he's had a lot of practice

>He's head of computer sciences department/lab.
Smells like a test.

Like hell you can't complain. It doesn't need to be anonymous. Grow a pair and file a complaint.

Tell him to go fuck himself and report it
>could be social engineering test

This.

Contact dean or whatever. Fuck this bullshit

If there was anything important he had to do with your accounts, he would have had the privilege to do it without your password. Report this situation ASAP.

Either he's trying to demonstrate social engineering, or he's straight-up retarded. In either case, saying no is the correct answer.
And report him to administration while you're at it.

tfw your password is a phrase from a slipknot song

People = shit?

contact the dean you dumbfuck.

i put my fingers into my EEEYEESSSS

>American colleges

Email RMS and ask see if he can tell you any more about his cuckolding history.

Would that university happen to be in California?

shoot him

Tell someone in your campus's IT department. They'll say "What the FUCK", flip out, and escalate it to the dean. I guarantee your IT people will shit.

tell him that you will adjust it yourself

>What he's doing isn't just bad, it's straight up illegal.
No it isn't. He's a private citizen working employed at a private institution asking for your login to their network. The only way it would be illegal is if he exceeded his access as determined by the university, and even then the university would almost certainly only discipline him administratively for violating their rules.

For all you know, he's been given explicit permission to run his class this way.

The proper course of action would have been to go to IT and report this. "Professor so-and-so is asking for our login so he can change our schedules. Is this right?" If it isn't, they'll go to administration and they will have a chat with the professor about it. If it is, end of story. What you want doesn't matter.

>Could it be possible for my campus to have hidden in a TOS somewhere "your login info can be viewed and or managed by our staff" or something?
It's their right to begin with. Any private organization has the right to monitor anything that occurs on their own network. You have zero right to privacy on someone else's hardware.
They don't even have to tell you this since your not knowing their rights doesn't make anything they have a legal right to do illegal.

Complain to IT, his boss, the boss of his boss, student services, etc...

only acceptable answer.

This is totally unacceptable.