/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

personal.audioquest.com/nighthawk-measurements/
nanaimo.craigslist.ca/ele/5716948756.html
amazon.com/Caeden-Linea-Headphone-Faceted-Ceramic/dp/B015JGW7N2
innerfidelity.com/images/AudioQuestNightHawk2015.pdf
seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=cool_review&no=507
goldenears.net/board/GR_Earphones/6015682
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The new Schitt amp looks neat

Nice to see more of these, always interested in what other anons in the threads have.

What happened to HD800/SE535 measurebro

I was thinking about picking up a K612, but that Adorama deal for the HD600 is pretty tempting. Both would need an amp anyways right? Has anyone used both of them to compare? I'm looking for something neutral.

Reminder to have good source audio components.

>wireless is frowned upon
>headset requests are frowned upon
>asking for an opinion is frowned upon
For what reason?

Stop

What's the best chink shit IEM and what's the best place to order them (Gaybeast, Ali, Amazon)?

Lads help me out

I wanna buy new headphones since my HD555's are starting to wear down

Don't have a set up at all, but I'm thinking of getting the HD650's or 600's (just really love the feel of the Sennheisers over AKG's)

Which do I get? What kind of amp or anything else will I need?

piston 3, gaybest and ali high rated and used sellers.

what's the deal? hd600 you should get an amp but as long as you're ok with listening at lower level you could get by with onboard audio. k612 really needs an amp. dunno what the other AKGs cost but they don't need an amp like the 612, they about as hungry as the hd600, maybe a bit less to my ears.

just dont

hd600 + e10k is great, I use that. you don't need anything else, though personally I got a shorter chink cable from amazon.

>what's the deal?
It's $234 for the hd600.

I'm genuinely curious why they're frowned upon.
I use my headset pretty much all the time on my pc, except for when watching a movie so I switch to 5.1 surround sound.

Where tho

I dont see this

The reply you typically get is that headsets are overpriced and poor quality. This coming from the same people who unironically suggest you buy a 50 dollar tumor to glue to the side of your 150 dollar headphones, I know.

It's on Adorama, you have to use some 1LENSSAVIN code when you check out apparently.

FUCK YOU!
Headsets are shit!
Wireless is shit!
Your opinion sucks shit!

A true Audiophile avoids inferior audio technology like you normie cucks. Get the fuck out of my hpg if you don't like it.

Op enjoys the shitposting it encourages. He gets off on watching people on an anonymous image board bickering because that's the closest he's ever going to get to having sex

Is there anything wrong with personal.audioquest.com/nighthawk-measurements/

I went through as many of the citations at the bottom and it seemed very convincing as it doesn't appear to be cherrypicking.

Not going to immediately go out and buy it, but it really did dispel a lot of what I know from my university (and intuition) are myths but it just seems so different that I need a lot of proof.

Didn't mean to quote you by the way.

Im about to buy a pair of headphones.

AKG 702s or Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

>open/semi-open is must
>primarily for electronic, gaming, movies

Powering it with SMSL SD793ii DAC/amp so

ay

Anyone have suggestions for someone who likes the signature of ATH M50s but finds them too uncomfortable for longer use? I'm looking to try out open backed headphones

pretty good, sale used to be less though iirc, $226 or something a year or two ago. I'd have waited but I snagged one for really cheap used. I have to replace the pads but the chink silver ones I got are great, and it came with a nice aftermarket cable.

nighthawk isn't bad, it's just overpriced for what it is and how it measures.

k702, if you want more bass get an X2, dt990 is just asking for pain imo

why would you use an external amp with a player that can already easily handle all those headphones?

Kys op

Absolutely sure about the 702s? I hear the bass is lacking, yet I hear the 990s are great in that alley. Philips X2s?

I got it way before I had the DAP. Though you are correct, I hardly use it with that amp.

personally I think the bass on the k702 is great, it needs a tad of eq boost but it has a good body and impact, a bit better than hd600 imo. but you will find them light on bass if you're used to outright bassy headphones with electronic that makes use of it. problem with the 990 is it's extremely v-shaped. too much bass, and contender for beyer's most intense treble peak, it makes them fatiguing to listen to. the X2 is v-shaped too but much more mildly, it's closer to a dt770 or an m50, meybe even tamer then those. but it still gives a nice bassy sound which you might like with electronic music. it also doesn't need an amp at all which might be a plus.

what's the battery life like?

Hey guys. Are ATH-M50x's appropriately quiet to be used in a dorm room at night?

Thanks

>it doesn't appear to be cherrypicking.
There is some misreading of the data.
i wouldn't call it cherrypicking. I would say instead that dubious conclusions are being drawn from the data.
I could write a critique if I have some time. I was going to compose one back when it was announced, but the interest in that vein of discussion, as well as in the Nighthawk, shriveled up.

>it really did dispel a lot of what I know from my university (and intuition) are myths
Such as?

What is your favorite headphone out of all of those?

I appreciate the advice, I think i'm gonna jump the gun on the 702s. I think in the long run it would be better if i had a pair of headphones that would work well across all ranges of sound. The look of the black and white 702s is a plus as well, matches my battlestation and the amp

I use the 702's the most, though 600's are a bit nicer for just music. I don't EQ with the 600's whereas I do with the 702's

Specs say 10 hours, but I've had it go about 15 to 16.

reminder that Snapheiser has updated

>HD-598
>HD-800
>Orpheus

but the HD-600 their most talked about headphone by far still looks like it's made from a retro countertop

>personal.audioquest.com/nighthawk-measurements/
first off, never trust manufacturer mesurements. second, everything in there is PR material to tell you that they put a lot of effort into designs that theoretically reduces distortion (an improvement which is probably inaudible) and retain clarity. the reality is they made a headphone that heavily favors the bass and lower mids and then pretty much tanks the upper mids and highs, which is detrimental to clarity and overall fidelity. it's not even a question of sig preference at that point I think, since it's not really a proper warm headphone either. it measures like a tamer m100 which has the same problem. they try and justify this by saying their research indicated the perceived response will sound closer to flat, and just mildly warm. there is some truth to the idea of a warm headphone being perceived as more neutral or "pleasing" than a DF neutral or bright headphone, but that only works when you make a properly warm/bassy headphone which they have not done. they have made something that sounds significantly rolled off which is a complaint people have expressed in many reviews. not getting real leather pads in a $600 headphone is shitty too.
tl;dr - the hp50, mad dog, even fostex purpleheart or r70x do warm better for less. this measures like ass for $600.

>reminder that Snapheiser has updated
??

they just colored the 598, it's not really different. and I have yet to see justification for the new orpheus costing such an outrageous amount when the original was and still is less. the original still measures as one of the best headphones ever. that diy one the chink guy made measures even better.

>Budget
$100 tops
>Location
USA
>Source
Samsung Galaxy S5
>Preferred type of headphone
IEM
>Open or closed
I'll be outside(campus), so closed
>Comfort level
Atleast 2 hours of comfortable use
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral.
>Past headphones
Just basic IEMs that come with phones. I've never needed more until now.

>Specs say 10 hours, but I've had it go about 15 to 16
pretty good, any software complaints like not sorting or reading things properly? what's the max card size support?

I've got 2 128GB cards in it right now. Software-wise it can be a little laggish in the menus and the initial music scan takes ages and freezes with large libraries, otherwise though it's pretty good. Newest firmware for it fixes a lot of the the issues.

If you can nudge your budget up another $20 you should look at he MA750.

I'd be willing to do that. I say tops, but always end up over spending.

no video playback right?

be warned the ma750 is pretty bass boosted, not neutral

nope. only audio, though it supports quite a few formats.

I just find it weird that cheapo players from china support so many more features than the expensive PMP's. though I guess the idea is that their software is much tighter and actually supported well.

Would an e10k be enough to drive a DT880

It should. Probably won't have much headroom if you EQ, though.

Postan from last thread, since it never got answered :(

Budget: ~ $50, (a little bit flexible, if they’re gonna last)
Source: My HTC 10, which has a pretty decent DAC
IEM Preferred.
Comfort level: something I can wear while getting /fit/, probably. I don’t need to fall for the “sports earbuds” meme though.

I haven’t owned anything noteworthy in the past.
Thanks fag/g/ots

e10

E10 for cable down.
IM50 for around ear loop.

nanaimo.craigslist.ca/ele/5716948756.html
thoughts? not really a fan of the design and i'll never use the portable amp feature but i might go for it to power my k7xx at home; idk if there are better options for the price, could probably ask for less since the ad is 20+ days old

Huuur that picture is gay af

There is literally nothing wrong with wireless or headsets.

Fuck off, jackass.

Are we in the next arc of /hpg/ shitposting?

Still less retarded than Belgianposting

you mean dumb k702 shitposters claiming everyone who disagreed with them was belgian?

FUCK YOU i USE WIRELESS ALL DAY EVERYDAY AND MY BRAIN STILL WALKS GOOD

But I do user. Any source after 2008 year using same internals and if they use different, impact is so small and applied to the range you will never hear.

Forgot a pic

Just noticed today my headphone right ear cutting out and staticy when I move the cable around. This means replace the cable right? (It does have a detachable one so this should be easy.)

I'm looking for advice on earphones

>Budget
around 50 EUR

>Location
Netherlands

>Source
My laptop audiojacket

>Comfort level
high (I'd say around 52)

>Preferred tonal balance
my music taste varies a lot so something that would do OK with everything

>Past headphones
Senheiser something, they were terrible build quality (cord broke) but the audio was ok

Schitt stack over the odac or even the e10k.

Why.

Give me a reason.

performance(probably not audible), looks, build quality, country of origin, feel good factor, some features

Uber versions have more inputs, a preamp (as compared to ODACs lineout) and more power while still being cheaper than O2 ODAC (based on JDS Labs with rear mounted power, RCA, and 1/4 jack)
Better build quality than E10K
A E S T H E T H I C S

>amazon.com/Caeden-Linea-Headphone-Faceted-Ceramic/dp/B015JGW7N2

but theyre so pretty

Anyone here tried one of those high end earbuds from china? I'm interested in pic related, but I'm not sure if it's worth going through all the trouble of importing a pair. So far I bought only the VE Monk and I haven't regretted it, in fact I bought 4 more pairs so that I could have spares.

Is "burn in" a meme that basically means the time they need to convince themselves that their outrageously expensive gear wasn't a complete waste?

Most of it likely, it's you getting used to the sound and fit.
Many manufacturers already make the headphones play for a while before shipping.

There doesn't appear to be significant roll off in the highs at all. Just the mids which they claim to be purposeful.

I don't really trust their measurements, but it corresponds very well with innerfidelity measurements so it seems truthful.

There is some data which seems weird. But I highly doubt the data is just post-hoc explanations because of just how prevalent it is.

The myth of diffuse and free field loudspeakers sounding significantly more 3D than others. I took a few acoustics class and we discussed loudspeakers. He had loudspeakers set up in a free field and fucked with equalizer settings and it sounded similarly far out.

The whole class was about what cues we use to give the illusion of depth.

innerfidelity.com/images/AudioQuestNightHawk2015.pdf
and pic related for comparison of measurements.

>that cable

HNNNNNGGGGGG

thank you fellas

bought the 600 and e10k

to see how many idiots will ask.

That's my end game too. You wont be disappointed ;)

when I wear my shitty $40 earbuds outside, the noise isolation is great except any movement I make nudges the cable and I get a really loud noise coming in from the cable physically rumbling.

wat do

Daily reminder that OP is a shitposter.

>daily reminder
so are you.

Koss PortaPro

Pardon my autism, but what's the difference between the soundmagic E10S and the E10C

>ywn listen to the sweet sounds of your controller

Does anyone have these?

Nobody has them.

Sorry I meant anyone here

I dont get it. What's the purpose of a DAC and Amp?

How is the Sennheiser Momentum?
Might get them after my good experience of the HD 202-II, but they finally broke down after years.

Do you guys exclusively listen to FLAC or do you guys listen to v0 as well?
Also, is there even a point to listening to 320?

320 is wasted space, offers nothing over V0.
I use FLAC for archival, encode to Ogg Vorbis to portable devices.

DAC does digital to analog conversion which is a necessary part of any digital audio system if you want it to output sound to be heard.

Amplifier increases the signal power so you can actually create sound with a transducer. It's also a necessity if you actually want to have sound coming out from your system.

That said, your motherboard likely is both already: a headphone amplifier and a DA-converter. Whether you need a better performing DA-converter and/or amplifier depends entirely on how well the one you have right now performs with the load(headphones) you have. Not all electronics are made the same and loads can vary a lot too.

I tend to stream music from Spotify but when I download something, I opt for the highest quality option as I'm not constrained by file size at home. For mobile use I re-encode local files to Opus or just use Spotify there too.

How many here have listened to an electrostat? If you are looking for a system, why aren't you considering a stax system first? All the engineering manuals denote it as the superior scheme.

He's taking the piss m8.

I can't help. i've never heard of them.

Dacs and amps are something that you don't NEED. They do however increase performance slightly.

If you're curious and seriously want one then buy an e10k. It's a dac and amp in a tiny package. It's also very cheap as far as amps or dacs go. Never mind two in one combined.

>How many here have listened to an electrostat?
I have, some here own them.
>why aren't you considering a stax system first?
Because I don't buy technology for the sake of it. Being an electrostat doesn't really mean anything. Transducer type is a design choice, a means to an end. While you can generalize some aspects of transducer types, it doesn't have some inherent properties which would be meaningful in terms of audible performance or universal to all models using the same type of transucer or even the exact same transducer. Real world performance is separate from how it was achieved. As for why not an electrostat for myself:

-Requires a special amplifier, adds to the cost but for nothing else. I'd rather have a small amplifier which can be used with everything as opposed to something only meant for one purpose with one pair of headphones.
-You need to be a bit more careful with them, humidity is a concern.
-I don't like the response of a single electrostatic headphone on the market. Lambda Pro with the ED-1 is nice but then again, I could do that response with any pair of headphones and with superior software EQ instead of hunting for something extremely rare and likely unobtainable.
-Lambdas(which would be the only electrostats I'd consider) are a bit finicky with bass leakage and aren't consistent with their response in practical use.

try over the ear

Etymotic ER4 SR/XR from Seeko:

seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=cool_review&no=507

Shure KSE1500 from Goldenears:

goldenears.net/board/GR_Earphones/6015682

Universal Fit Noble Kaiser 10 with comply tip in pic related, measurements by the guy over at Clarityfield headphone measurement blog. Can't give a direct URL because of the link filter so for the rest of them use Google or check the wiki.

Some of these were posted in a previous thread. Figured not everyone who was interested saw them so here they are again.

>it doesn't have some inherent properties which would be meaningful in terms of audible performance or universal to all models using the same type of transucer or even the exact same transducer

The stat transducer does have inherent properties, or rather the existing stat headphones all have similar properties: full bandwidth with distortion below the analyzer's noise floor, superior power handling, clean high frequency dispersion with minimal position dependency, and a super clean listenable sound.

All the stuff that the kilobux bits get assessed for and fail to produce.

>Budget
£50 - £80
>Location
eng
>Source
mid level desktop mortherboard
>Preferred type of headphone
full sized
>Open or closed
slight preference for closed
>Comfort level
important, i'll wear these for hours a day
>Preferred tonal balance
neutral with a slight preference for treble
>Past headphones
shit ones

i have been considering the NVX Audio XPT100 but have been hesitant since they are supposedly slightly bass focused and are difficult to buy in my country. what are the other options for me?

this was solved long ago by the $15 sony lavalier are you guys even fucking kidding me? Or do you not wear shirts when you're in the music lab with your tendies?

That's called microphonics. Two easy and cheap way to address them is to get a shirt clip and wear them over ears rather than down ears.