Planning out a new pc build. I got help from a friend, but want to ask the Sup Forums experts...

Planning out a new pc build. I got help from a friend, but want to ask the Sup Forums experts. Just a little info about the build parameters I told him.

I want to game at 1440. I want it to be low maintenance (hints his suggested air-cool over water-cooled system) and I wanted to drop $1500-2k on it.

Pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/
pcpartpicker.com/list/2zcsLD
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm about to go to check-out with this cart, but wanted to run it by you guys first. The first build my friend sent me had a DDR4 mobo and DDR3 ram. XD. Thought I'd get a 2nd opinion before pulling the trigger.

>low maintenance
>doesnt get liquid cooling

Unless you want to deal with overheating you might want to get liquid cooling. Also, what's your monitor looking like?

CPU, RAM, HDD, Motherboard are all overkill. You can drop down to something cheaper and use the extra money on a 1080 instead, or just keep the extra money. 1070 is more than enough for 1440/60hz

i5 is fine for gaming, get the cheapest DDR4 since they all do the same thing. WD black isn't worth the money if you already have an SSD, get a blue.
You probably wont notice Samsung vs Sandisk SSD but you can save some more money there. "Gaming" motherboards aren't worth the money, get a cheaper Z170.

logicalincrements.com/

I don't have on yet (currently using an AOC 14" 1080p hdmi 60Hz monitor wich will be my secondary monitor once I buy a nicer one.), but plan on gaming at 1440 at 144 hz. The monitor isn't included in the budget and would be open to suggestions.

I don't have an SSD, currently using a 4-5 year-old HP laptop with 2 500gb disc HDDs. Since they are 5 years old, I don't want to re-use those even as extra storage. I chose i7 over i5 because I would like to make this set-up and not have to touch it for another 5 years. I want to future-proof it as much as possible.

*24" AOC Monitor

>implying you need to liquid cool for normal gaming use

I have my i5 6600k overclocked to 4.4GHz with a hyper 212 evo cooler and it doesn't run hot at all. Also, it's a lot less likely for a huge passive heatsink to stop working and damage your cpu than it is for a liquid cooling loop to fail.

skylake run so fucking cool, you can get a pretty high OC on air without worrying about temps.

-You're spending way too much on your motherboard.
-You're buying a dual-channel RAM kit for a quad-channel RAM chipset. Either get two of them for 32GB or switch to 4x4GB.
-You probably want a CLC like an H100iV2 instead of a $20 cooler for a $2000 system.
-You probably don't need a full tower either, a 400C/400Q or S340 would be fine and have more than enough room.

Pic related is my fagbox, with 5820k, H100i GTX, X99-A II, Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming, 32GB of vengeance LPX 2400, and SuperNOVA P2 650 in a 400C, also with my old GTX 760 for dedicated PhysX. A full tower for this would be ridiculous.

Mobo - This is what I thought (it being way over-kill), but my friend's response was "future-proofing"

RAM - noted, thank you, I'll change it to 4 modules

Cooler - I get what you're saying, but that's $130 for that cooler and I'm already exceeding my budget once you throw in the $100 for the Win 10 OS. I might consider this if I down-grade the mobo.

Tower - I started with a mid-tower, but my friend suggested a full-tower for easier cable management and to more easily fit the hardware in the box. (also I want to throw HUE+ or some other LED system in the box to make it look cool.

What the hell do you need a 500GB SSD for?

Why not get an I7 6700k or i7 6800k?

Future proofing doesn't apply with Intel motherboards as the change the socket every generation.

Tower* - Also selected full tower for greater air-flow/circulation. If this is retarded, let me know. The physical space that the tower takes up in my room doesn't matter for me.

I don't. My friend selected that. I'd like to at least have my OS and a few of my favorite games loaded on the SSD. I'm sure I could get away with 250gb or less, but $160 for a nice, large SSD is alright with me.

I'm open to changing up my build. But the selected processor seems plenty powerful and I don't think I can budget adding $50 for a better cpu as I'm already over-budget.

I get that the cpu can't be future-proofed with the mobo, but I could upgrade the gpu and ram.

> watercooling meme

The 6700k is actually cheaper

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'll grab that then.

Also you'd need to change mobo

i7s aren't worth the extra cost unless you plan to do a lot of heavily multithreaded work (not games)

the case is too expensive

the mobo is too expensive, you can get a $150 that overclocks those components just as well

that ram is overpriced

my i5/1070 build doesn't need more than 650W, so you can probably save a bit on the PSU

bumping the gpu up would be better "future proofing"

for reference I'm using pcpartpicker.com/list/2zcsLD and will be running the faster m.2 over pcie SSD for boot and 1-2 most common games (probably planetside and skyrim), I probably overspent on the case, and the actual SSD was only like $80, I highballed it to $100 for a nice round number

If you get a different case, make sure you get an E-ATX compatible one. That appears to be an E-ATX mobo.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/2zcsLD

Looks like a solid build coming in a lot cheaper than the one I'm proposing. With your build coming in at 1300 including OS is nice. Would you consider upgrading any part/s or just buying as-is? I think I might change out the case to one with a window and throw some LED strip lights in there.

If I had the extra budget, I might go with a samsung m.2 and the $150-170 mobo, since I'm pretty sure the mobo is barely sufficient for overclocking and samsung is supposed to be a bit faster. Also maybe change the HDD to 2 or 3TB instead of just 1

Thanks for the help. Mind suggesting a specific mobo? I'm not good with what to look for compatibility.

With your system can you output 1440 at 144ghz? as long as it can do that, I'm more than happy. Really appreciate everyone's comments on this. Thanks for helping out a noob. Just got my first real job out of College and looking to treat myself with a nice pc build. =]

>Gayming HDD

IDK, I use a 1080p monitor and really just got the parts so that I wouldn't have to do any retooling for a while, just go into bios and OC once in a while

any of the logical increments mobos should work, look at the "outstanding" to "enthusiast" sections