Pre-Win10 End Of Line is here

Microsoft is at it again!!

> Latest Intel, AMD chips will only run Windows 10: Future silicon platforms including Intel's upcoming 7th Gen Intel Core (Kaby Lake) processor family and AMD’s 7th generation processors (e.g. Bristol Ridge) will only be supported on Windows 10, and all future silicon releases will require the latest release of Windows 10. [...] Intel spokesman Scott Massey told us, "per Microsoft's support policy, they made the decision that Windows 10 would be the only Windows OS supported on 7th-gen Intel Core" processors.

> Why is Microsoft doing this?
> Windows 10 must succeed at all costs. It's Windows 10 or bust. If you're buying a flash new machine, what a superb way for Microsoft to shoehorn its latest operating system onto it; that'll really help inflate its usage numbers. And it'll make life easier for its engineers: there's less hardware to test and support, less code, fewer bugs, fewer problems for everyone.
theregister.co.uk/2016/09/02/windows_intel_kaby_lake_amd_zen/

How can a software company be so evil Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE
lmgtfy.com/?q=Skylake windows 10 exclusive
google.com/amp/www.universityherald.com/amp/articles/39323/20160902/processor-analyst-windows-7-8-and-8-1-will-support-intel-core-kaby-lake-processors-full-details-here.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck, well Apple does it and they're praised, fuck this meme

Fuck Intel. For them this is karma. It's all good though, with the entire Intel line butt fucked and made obsolete, it's going to be a fresh start with Zen VS Kaby Lake. AM4 for me. Sweet night sweet prince!

The same applies to Zen though.

What about Linux l, it's not supported either? Too lazy to read the article.

You'll be able to run Win 7 on zen and kaby lake just fine.

I'm fine with that. I love my fx-8350 and want to keep that with my Windows 7/XP/obsolete OSes. Zen would be a good reason for a totally new build to put either Linux or Windows 10 on or both.

This is only for Windows versions. Linux will work fine.

Oh, so this is no news at all.

Yeah this is bait. All the article is saying is that new hardware features wont be supported by MS on win7 or earlier. You can still run win7, and probably be able to work around the unsupported features with 3rd party drivers.

Linux is not being affected.

>OS X El Capitan minimum requirements
>MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.2 15" Mid/Late 2007, 2.4/2.2GHz

Stop spreading lies please.

They tried the same shit with skylake and backpedaled like a week later because of the backlash. I don't see them going through with it this time eiter. Maybe when gen 8 or 9 rolls around.

>3rd party drivers
>for CPU features

Yeah that will work out just fine.

source?

Don't you need motherboard drivers?

Are you trolling or just being an idiot?

How are you on a fucking website that talks about technology and you do not know this? Use google you fucking dip

>using Windows

Just shut the fuck up and give me your source. Burden of proof dipshit.

well, my CAD software doesn't work on loonix

I wasn't even the person who posted it, I am just calling you out for being a fucking highschool tool.

Fuck off faggot

These assholes realize that VMs still run on the processor right? Lol.

I mean a lot of old software systems can't be maintained without their windows 95 vm.

>All the article is saying is that new hardware features wont be supported by MS on win7 or earlier. You can still run win7, and probably be able to work around the unsupported features with 3rd party drivers
Intel has said that if you don't support all the new power savings states their cpus (skylake and forward) might not operate properly and can even be damaged.
How true that actually is I don't know, but it certainly made a lot of kernel devs uneasy when skylake was new and Linux only supported a few if the states.

...and your point is?

Yeah, that's great and all but windows 10 will run on a pentium 4. New software on an old machine isn't the issue here, it's old software on a new machine. How well does Tiger run on a brand new computer? You know what, that's unfair, Tiger is older. How about Snow Leopard? That was released at the same time as windows 7, it's not even fucking supported any more.

Those systems can't be maintained using new hardware on VMs. How are you not following this?

So your solution to Windows 7 not supporting the new features natively is to run Windows 7 through a virtual machine? I hope that's not what you're suggesting because that would be beyond retarded.

Apple sells both software and hardware.

Can confirm and I am now running Windows 10 thanks to my Skylake processor only supporting W10 out of box. Had no DVD drive and the USB ports are 3.0 exclusively on the Z170-A mobo, so I couldn't install the drivers on W7.. Forced to 10. RIP

Again, absolutely irrelevant. Will Snow Leopard run on a new macbook? Will all features be supported?

You could have made a small partition on the HDD, extracted the windows 7 install ISO onto it and set it as a bootable drive. There's always a workaround.

Not that guy but when I upgraded to 10.7, my snow leopard disc magically stopped being able to boot.

No. I'm talking about development VMs that have a curtailed environment that are often shared on projects. Having to add in the variable "this might not work because of a ridiculous money grab by Microsoft" makes these VMs no longer portable.

There are some systems floating around written in some crazy old stacks that need a VM running an OS from the mid 90's. If those VMs can't work on new processors because of some hardware deficiency, it would kill those development routines over night.

Are you intentionally pretending to be dense for comedic effect? It's not about the old install media working on an old machine, it's about the old software not supporting the new hardware. This cannot be stated any simpler.

But that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Would you really call not supporting a twenty years old operating system and cash grab? How long does Microsoft have to continue patching an old operating system your company bought for $20 back in the 90s?

>Linux will work fine.
>Linux
>Works
>Fine

nice meme vedditor

This wording pisses me the fuck off. No new processor will require Windows 10. Period. Windows 10 may be the only Windows version to support the new processors, but it's definitely not the only operating system that will.

>Apple
>Hardware support

Is this some sort of joke dimension that you're posting from?

Somebody needs to ASSassinate the POO in charge

According to accounting and project stakeholders... Indefinitely.

Meh intel had that shitty meme with their haswell c states and there weren't a lot of problems except sleep-state related stuff. Whatever the sleep state just disable it. We're efficient enough imo to not warrant a Win10 installation.

>running old software on new hardware
I see no reason to do this, especially on OS X
Have fun with ux and security flaws

>I see no reason to do this, especially on OS X
Then please tell that to those who run windows 7. Enjoy the shitstorm.
>Have fun with ux and security flaws
Yes, that should be highly entertaining.

Putting that aside, the original point to this chain of responses was the an user confusing new software running on old hardware vs. old software running on new hardware. These are two completely separate issues and Apple are far, far worse than anyone else when it comes to the latter.

Why are people using Windows again?

video games

Will this affect me if I run Windows 7 in a virtual machine?

There's a Sup Forums leak

How much longer until ARM grows some balls?

.NET framework VS
AutoCAD
Photoshop
Office

>ARM
Hopefully never. MIPS, POWER, RISC-V, and friends are all better alternatives.

Well fuck how much longer until any other processor grows balls and knocks Intel off the top spot?

Take care of those and Windows is pretty much finished, Open Source has had 15 years to catch up and still isn't there yet. AutoCAD from 2002 is still more advanced by miles compared to the Free CAD alternatives.

>Using Windows.
Found the problem.

Windows10 is just shit. It pisses me off how things just got progressively worse from Windows 7 onwards.

Most people who say Photoshop dont even need Photoshop. I do webdev and usually just GIMP my shit up.

I liked Adobe Fireworks but thats discontinued.

When Intel's architecture patents expire

>tfw you'll be dead

That's a bad comparison, because Windows 10 is adware and Windows 7 and OS X aren't.

As long as I can run FreeBSD and GNU/Linux on that I really don't give two shits what Micropenis does.

I see your point but Photoshop is just one piece of the puzzle, you need all of the pieces to defeat the monster

Two cups of tea for this gentleman.

I mean, eventually someone will build a way for them to be backwards compatible, right?

Right?

They will be compatible with 7/8.1 regardless.

Why would anyone want to use an old version of OS X? OS X updates are *always* free.

On the other hand, I do have many good reasons to keep using a Windows 8 Pro, which I paid for years ago. And by the way, Windows 8's EOL is in 2018, so am I being ripped of by Microsoft?

"
the fuck are those quotation marks above?

Windows 10 is already a success.

Apple does it.

Also, they have a shit skin running shit now. That's why. Bring ballmer back

Because OEMs are being forced to, that's why.

Apple doesnt sent everything to the NSA/FBI

>Bringing the absolute madman back...
youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE

>.net framework
open sourced
>autoCAD
apparently everyone on Sup Forums works with CAD, you can also hop to OSX.
>Photoshop and office
I use them daily on my Mint installation.

>I do have many good reasons to keep using a Windows 8 Pro
Such as?
>And by the way, Windows 8's EOL is in 2018, so am I being ripped of by Microsoft?
Exactly what I'm trying to drive home here. Why are the criticisms of windows suddenly not valid when we're talking about OS X.

Putting aside the free upgrade you failed to avail yourself of, because that's irrelevant to this discussion.

Bwahahahahahaha

Not gonna happen.

/thread

While kinda dick-ish, I understand.
In Windows 10 they added some shitty intel power management stuff that they didn't backport to 7 and 8.
Doesn't mean it won't run Windows 7, it just means you'll fall back to good old ACPI.

>I use them daily on my Mint installation.
Wine or no?

APPLE PLEASE JUST RELEASE OS X FOR ALL COMPUTERS!

Now is your fucking chance to steal the throne.

lmgtfy.com/?q=Skylake windows 10 exclusive

> the register

wew lad

Apple makes most of its margins on hardware and not software

Yeah but they could start making money with software.

Try running all as shit Linux kernel versions on modern processors and get back to me.

*old

It's gonna work fine with Windows 7 and 8.1. You can always install drivers.

I can see linux support getting a spike, maybe by late 2017 at least 10-15% of users on steam will be using linux.

microsoft got absolutely wrekt in europe for trying to include internet explorer with windows. I highly doubt they will successfully make a software-hardware monopoly.

There's no place for gay's shit. Install Gentoo.

I will finish them off, don't worry. I'll be back with a patreon link so you just donate to that and I will end Microsoft's terrible reign.

the EU's going to freak

as long as you can use linux/bsd on them i see no issue. why would anyone want to run an outdated os anyway? Most people here with windows only use it for games, so i see no issue.

>why would anyone want to run an outdated os anyway?
Because the newer version is ass?

I wouldn't worry tbhonest familia. The strongest i7 out now isn't even Skylake yet (i7 6950 is broadwell) so you won't be lacking computing power on a Win 7 for a long time to come.

I don't like MS, but that was total bullshit. What next, the EU demands that MS mustn't set default application to any files, so the users have to pick everything during install?

That would be great

To be honest, it was just a scam to get some money off an American company.

Rich American companies need to be taxed somehow.
Using an arbitrary legal system is how the EU does it.

Performance didn't increase much in the last generations because immersion lithography was reaching its limits.

With EUV now entering production you can expect much bigger jumps in performance over the next generations.

Learn to use DISM to inject the USB 3 drivers into your installer.

And let me be more specific, before you try it out. You need to inject the drivers into the Windows Installation index of the wim. It would also be smart to inject them into the Windows 7 package (Home/Pro/etc) index of the wim as well.

google.com/amp/www.universityherald.com/amp/articles/39323/20160902/processor-analyst-windows-7-8-and-8-1-will-support-intel-core-kaby-lake-processors-full-details-here.htm

Stop spreading lies, you homoeopathic original poster