Hey Sup Forums how important was your degree, if you have one, to obtaining your job?

hey Sup Forums how important was your degree, if you have one, to obtaining your job?

Not important at all. I studied biochemistry but I worked at my university's helpdesk for 3 of the 4 years of my degree, doing basic IT shit. Graduated, landed jr sysadmin job, 65k/year.

I would not even be considered for the job otherwise.

For any kind of half-decent job you need to have a degree to even be a candidate.
I'm not talking about some amazing job, I'm talking about a basic job at an office.

Don't even think about it kiddo, get a degree.

I'm thinking about switching to physics and studying programming, and I already know a fuckton of it +2y in uni but can't be bothered to finish it

Also I'm getting this 2y programming course done this year so I will have a "degree". Not USA btw.

Thanks for the heads up tho

>degree
>important
Maybe one day we'll grow out of this outdated notion that years of memorization "education" is at all important.

A person with a degree at least put some effort into something for 4 years, and succeeded.

When there are a lot more candidates than job openings, and when 50-60-70% of the candidates have managed to obtain a degree, the first elimination step is to ignore everyone who doesn't have one.

bump

Yeah, into rote memorization bullshit. And if a company thinks that a college degree means anything besides "I wasted 4 years of my life pouring money into learning how to memorize shit better", they're going to get what they deserve by hiring skill-less idiots.

As I mentioned here I got a good job less by having a degree and more by obtaining experience. Assuming you want a job in IT you can get an entry level "want to kill yourself" job with literally no experience.

thanks user, very useful

What are they playing?

Either you don't have a degree or went to a really shitty university

>rote memorization.
Do they not have theses in America? Or is the high school standard your only understanding of education?

I personally found that making connections in university can be at least as important as getting a degree

Agreed. The friends and contacts are invaluable. Its a level playing field too.

The degree gets their attention
You showing your skills during the interview gets you the job, buzzwords help a lot here.
You not being shit at the job keeps the money flowing

thanks for the advice user

Not really. I knew someone from high school who did programming and he recommended me. I learned a lot of what I needed on the job.

I don't have a degree, and my job doesn't require a degree. I'm also well under the poverty line.

>tfw thought i was smarter than my peers for saving all kinds of money not going to college/uni.
>now super embarrassed about lack of education

this is solid advise.
very few positions require a degree as a must

don't get a job that requires you to know buzzwords, that shit is retarded

Fucking this. Be personable, be professional, and don't be a sperg during the interview. Don't be a robot, either: make jokes, acknowledge if/when you're nervous, be a human being who has human traits.

Also a professional looking resume does wonders, particularly if you can stretch out your skills and experiences to sound better than they actually are.

studied 6 years in college, got an entry-level blue collar job, quit and been NEET since, so not very

>how important was your degree, if you have one, to obtaining your job?

If you ask someone who started working in IT in 2010, they might tell you it never mattered.

If you ask someone who started working in IT in 1988 they might tell you it mattered in 1992, by 1999 it didn't matter at all, it mattered in 2001, it mattered less in 2007, it mattered a whole lot in 2008.

Then if you have employment gaps in 2001-2002 and 2008-2010 companies will ask why you weren't working and will not be hiring you. Plus, you still don't have a degree.

I got my last jobs basically from reading Sup Forums and saying shit coherent to the situation
I don't actually need buzzwords to do my job, but the interviewer actually complimented me because i knew my shit.
Worst it can happen is that i have to make some emails sound kind-of professional.
eg
Instead of "oy m8 try to turn that shit off and on" i'll have to ask kindly if they may power off the machine

>acknowledge if/when you're nervous
I actually fucked it up, thankfully the guy was the kind that asks you to call him by first name so at the end it worked out ok.

>chronically depressed in highschool because I was diddled as a kid
>come out of it just around 12th grade
>flunk out of all my extra courses that I take to get in to a good school
>spend 3 years dicking around before I start programming
>year later, have lots under my belt but no universities care about your sob story
>get into a really shitty community college program, learn nothing related to programming
>meet a professor there who has his own company, did not know this
>did well in his course
>he waits and offers me a job when it's time for the paid internship section of my program
>now lead developer at his company
>they can't wait to get me on salary
>see applicants from universities I was rejected from flunk hard enough to believe they could never be professional developers
It has zero importance.

what are you working as famalam?

webdev? android? C++?

Don't fall for the "you don't need a degree meme".

You need the right amount of luck and connections to pull it off. The degree itself is meaningless, the connections you make when in university are what get you jobs.

I'm technically webdev. I mostly write higher-order/generative functions for use across our projects, work with our client's legacy database, do optimization, work on the architecture, and most recently began maintaining our deployment system/server.

Or went to Uni for the wrong reasons, skated by with minimal effort, got a degree with a C+ average and hasn't figured out that not learning something in University is more the fault of the student than the University.

I'm about to finish my Associates in Computer IT and let me tell you I haven't learned shit. Out of my two years here in uni the most I've learned are the N+ basics and simple C++/Java programming. Nothing advanced at all.

Even though I went with a scholarship and finally about to graduate with a 4.0 i'm not prepared at all for employment in this field. I honestly don't know what I've gotten myself into.

So start learning. Like what the fuck?

Do people think that just GOING to school and doing the minimum for grades is what's required for gainful employment?

Network. Meet people. Pursue your interests to the point where you're REALLY good at what you're interested in. Meet people also interested in what you're interested in. Land gainful employment.

It's not hard. It's called being a person.

In my experience
School -> get first job, shit pay -> now you actually have something in the CV which is what get attention.
In 3 months of normal searching i got an interview but no dice, then i asked my professor if he could find something.
After that job i got an offer for a course i got paid decently to attend, and a full job offer with higher-than-average pay, all of this in the span of 2 weeks after i left my job

What the fuck are you talking about?

People that call education a scam don't realize the options aren't that great if you're not born into tons of opportunity.

You can avoid being a debt slave and stay impoverished or you can accrue tons of debt but have an education and income that will keep you comfortable. Albeit you'll be trapped as you need to keep the job to continue paying loans but the alternative is pretty shitty and depressing.

Also study something with a practical application like medical or a stem degree with real applications. No point in becoming a debt slave and working a shitty job that doesn't pay well because you studied something like music.

Degrees do not seem worthwhile while you are young, because you are looking at entry level jobs and what not. They really do become important once you want to move up in an organization.

I am currently going to school full-time and working part-time at my corporate gig (sysadmin). I worked the first 3 years without any degree or certifications maybe OK money. This is my last semester, and they have a 6 figure management position with my name on it. It's just right there in company policy that I NEEDED to have at least a Bachelors.

If I could do it all over again, I would of sucked it up and got my bachelors straight out of High School as fast as possible (not taking summer breaks or anything like that).

I mean, the point of going to school and majoring in something is to learn about said major or subject. The fact than i'm about to graduate with minimal knowledge on it reflects how useful uni education truly is.

I agree though pursuing interests and networking will give you leverage in employment, but the foundation for learning should be mostly developed during your time in university.

Then again, it is my AA. Still have another 2 years to learn and intern.