I want to get into racing games a bit more, but my keyboard's ruining the experience for me

I want to get into racing games a bit more, but my keyboard's ruining the experience for me.

Are there any decent racing wheels which don't cost as much as a real car?
I'd like something with a shifter, and if possible a clutch as well.

>not even using a controller

and yes there are, the ones that cost thousands are placebo, they dont make you go faster

I tried using a controller.
On some more casual games it was fine, but on harder games (particularly Richard Burns Rally, which I was playing quite a bit a while ago) it felt like I had even less control than before.

RBR is notoriously difficult even for pros so dont worry about that but I have a hard time believing you felt with less control with a controller. I use a 360 controller which is quite sensitive, with some tweaking it's quite decent.

I'm not bad at it on the keyboard, but it honestly might just be my lack of experience with controllers.

I have a 360 controller, but I only really use it for emulated games so I have barely any experience using a controller at all.

I'll redownload it and see how I go with the controller, because I haven't tried it in ages.

Op the wheel in your pic is the cheapest thing you can get to meet your criteria

Well, guess I'll just have to live without car games, because I could literally buy a beater car for the same price as a video game peripheral.

You pay for the immersion, unfortunately that costs some money. Look for a 2nd hand g27 on eBay for the best bang for your buck.

Wait. People honestly think it's up to the wheel they buy how fast they go in-game, and not the game?

I'm not big on racing games but if that's how it is then that's messed up.

OP, buy the Thrustmaster T150. It's a great starter wheel.

> I could literally buy a beater car for the same price

That shit is less than $200 USD in my country. You can't even buy a bicycle with that. Maybe you could buy a high end skateboard; maybe.

Gear aquisition syndrome.
The better gear doesn't make them faster, but they've convinced themselves that if they buy what they think the top people buy they will improve.

It's people who aren't good enough to be held back by their gear blaming their gear for holding them back.

This is not always the case though, a better equipment doesn't make miracles but it lets you feel every subtle detail in ffb, thus making you push your limits. In the end it's all about immersion, nothing more, the more immersed you are it's easier to put in time and effort to shave a few milliseconds.

If you don't have the talent and determination, nothing will make you better as in everything else in life.

It's $400 ausbucks here.

You can definitely get a drift nugget for that much or a little bit more.

have thought about growing up?

I also use a 360 controller.
Keyboard and mouse is atrocious for games that focus driving and flying.
My brother got a G27 years ago for GT4...Nurburgring for dayyyysssss.
As great as it was, the shifter is tiny, mostly plastic, and feels cheap and fragile. I was always afraid of breaking something if I was really into a race. Everything takes up a lot of space, too, and it's a hassle to set up and put away. My advice is just to save up for a real track car and check out local track days.The Porsche CCA will let anyone with a safe car participate in their autocross events (in MD/VA at least) and it's only like $25 Or $35 for non members.

tl;dr: Invest, instead, in the real thing.

kys faggot sim racing is fun

>$400 aud
>Anything with an engine

Hahaha, at best you could get some really beaten up 80s Japanese fwd shitbox with high mileage. Not anything remotely fun.

Hold the steering stick up. then rotate around for steering. It'll give you 10 fold control.

Literally any commodore.

This.
You can easily get a Falcon or a Commodore for $4-500 that's more than good enough to pop some skids and thrash around a track.

hello

If you can save 400, you can save 800 in twice the time and expand your options. Hell, just keep saving until the amount you have is enough for something you see that you like. All it takes is a little discipline.

So..how many Japanese cartoon figurines do you own? I am betting a few. But this guy needs to grow up huh?

What we call "Sim Racing Dads" people who are in their mid-40s to early 50s that have the money to drop on high end gear.

For the most part you can can be fast regardless of equipment. But it should be said that every companies drivers and how they translate the data from the game to the wheel isn't the same. Logitech wheels are pretty bad in rFactor2 if say you flatspot a tyre.