/HSG/ - Home Server General

Spooky resurrection edition

Post pictures and specs of your servers and networks at home
Shitpost about how much you hate cisco

Other urls found in this thread:

cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Xeon E5420 @ 2.50GHz
calomel.org/unbound_dns.html
ebay.com/itm/IBM-Voltaire-HCA-400EX-PCIe-10GB-Adapter-40K8755-/371434280324?hash=item567b355584:g:YYwAAOSwWnFV765A
walmart.com/ip/Axiom-PCIe-1Gbs-Quad-Port-Copper-Network-Adapter-for-IBM-Quad-Port-Fiber-Network-Adapter/160345593?sourceid=csesh0238e0da8b8d154ddd9cd476235153edb7&wmlspartner=shoppingcom2&affcmpid=864419902&tmode=0000&veh=cse&sdc_id=1087515857029
supermicro.com/products/system/1U/1018/SYS-1018GR-T.cfm
amzn.com/B00LSQOY6G
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump thread. I just picked up my home server from my parents house. Been moved out for a while. Literally has not been touched for over a year. Dusted it out today. Will be fun to see how pacman takes it.

Here's the copypasta I used for the /hsg/'s I OP's.

/hsg/

What would you use a home server for? Sup Forums answer - Fuck you, you turbo autist! Simple answer - For whatever you want. From media to development to virtualization, options abound.

Power - Any server DDR2 based is going to be power hungry. Most multi-socket Intel DDR2 systems are FBDIMM based. Anything else is ECC. With DDR3 based units coming off 2nd lease, anything DDR2 should be avoided.

Plex - 1080p transcoding at 10MBPS requires a CPUMark score of ~2000 per stream. This is especially true with first generation i3/5/7 / DDR3 Xeons. The more recent the CPU, the more slack there is in this. For some reason, Plex doesn't seem to like low power options (Xeon 1220L, for example).

Virtualization - ESXi, KVM, Hyper-V, etc. ESXi is generally used by Linux heavy shops that aren't cloud centered. KVM is usually used in OpenStack. Hyper-V is for mostly Microsoft centric shops. These are all free, so use what you like.

Storage - Both ZFS and Storage Spaces pool. If you're going to use these options, do NOT configure the drive with a hardware RAID controller. Many options are available in general, such as FreeNAS, Nas4Free, OpenMediaVault, Windows Storage Server, Linux / Unix / BSD, etc. Some are free, some are not.

What should I get? A good starting point, if you don't want to build your own system, is an HP Proliant Micro G8, 8GB DDR3 ECC (Not Registered or RDIMM), 4 3.5" drives, and a 16GB micro SD card. Install OpenMediaVault on the SD card, and enjoy ZFS, Plex, and whatever else you want to try.

Where can I get things? Ebay is a good place to start. Used / refurbished gear is fine, provided that the seller is selling a large quantity of them. With drives especially, this is the case. The only real drive to avoid is the Seagate ES.2 1TB. These have faulty firmware and fail prematurely (Ask EMC).

My Unifi UAP-AC-Pro arrived earlier this week, it's been great fun playing with it and finally getting decent wireless coverage.

Just got my SG-2440 in today, and got rid of the piece of absolute trash that is the Asus RT-AC68U.

pfSense is the greatest thing ever holy everloving shitchrist.

>ubiquiti + pfsense
my nigga
all hail the magic wifi frisbee

I just got a poweredge 2950 since it was $30 and had 3.5" hdd bays instead of 2.5"
did I fuck up? It came with 1 E5420 and 8gb pc2-5300f
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Xeon E5420 @ 2.50GHz
all it's going to do is run FreeNAS and plex occasionally

I might use it to store data for VM's as well, is there a cheap way to run SATA3 level speeds inbetween servers? I'll be running it to another server that will be hosting VM's running Proxmox

yeah, power draw is quite high.
R710 is where most home labers go

I have relatively cheap power, $0.08-$0.10/kWh
it's more performance that I'm worried about

Are you going to run FreeNAS as the base OS? Is there a Plex plugin or something for FreeNAS, or is Plex running off your desktop or something?

yeah, I'm pretty sure there's a plex plugin or something
if not I can just run plex on the vm host since it's got beefier CPU's and fuckloads more RAM

Right, didn't read the earlier post fully. Have you heard about Infiniband? If you have limited money but unlimited time, it's an avenue to consider. It's dirt cheap and can get you 40Gbps transfer speeds, but the drivers and support is kinda shit.

It might work if you just want to connect those two devices together and are fine waiting for prices to drop so 10GbE becomes affordable. Though I probably wouldn't recommend Infiniband as a backend network solution for all of your server platforms unless you're a literal NEET.

Also whatever RAID system you have in that PowerEdge 2950 is in no way going to ever let you get anywhere close to a full 40Gbps transfer speed.

Fibre Channel might get you what you want, though.

I'll be running linux on the vm host and bsd on the dell. I can get fibre channel stuff, and I would assume it's just a matter of finding the card that has actual drivers, right?
It'd be nice to have all the VM containers on the nas, but if I have to I can run the OS's from the vm host and do NFS or samba for files

I just killed my server while installing a new pcie card. Accidentally knocked the car's bracket against the motherboard and saw a spark, now it doesn't turn on.

Good riddance. Finally I can go outside.

did you have the fucking power connected while installing a expansion card?
you deserve what you got then

Power was connected but PSU was switched off. Probably some power left that hadn't been discharged.

>remove power cables from PSU
>hold down power button for a few seconds to clear any capacitors
>connect autism strap
>begin working

Yeah. I know that too. I stopped giving a fuck because the self tests take like 3 minutes after a power reset, and I'd been testing configurations for like 4 hours at that point. And to be honest I still don't give a fuck.

My first thought is yes. But for $30, it'll be a decent enough NAS, if you can get past the noise.

yeah, I poped the fuse the same way on my M1015 like that. Had to solder a jump or buy a new $100 car. I solder a jumper.

DROP DATABASE ;

>Post pictures and specs of your servers and networks at home

Be careful what you ask for...

Dell PowerEdge T620 (2x Xeon 2660 / 192GB / 2x 240 GB PNY 1311 / 4x 480GB PNY 1311 / 12x Hitachi Ultrastar (7K3000) 3TB)
Server 2012 R2 Datacenter w/ Storage Spaces.
240's are RAID 1 and for OS + tools
480's are in tiered pool with 3TB drives.
3TB presented to Hyper-V. Presented as multiple mirror. Only VM pool is tiered.
1TB presented as temp transfer share. No redundancy.
1TB presented to profiles. Presented as multiple mirror. Roaming profiles are enabled. This may change.
12TB presented to Plex. Drive is offline to VHOST, and presented directly to VM. Redundancy is RAID 5.

VM count - 22 production
4x DC (2 core / 2GB RAM / 60GB OS / 2012 R2 core)
2x NS w/ DHCP (2 core / 2GB RAM / 60GB OS / 2012 R2 core)
Sharepoint (4 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 120GB content / 2012 R2)
Team Foundation Server (4 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 120GB content / 2012 R2)
System Center Operations Manager (4 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 2012 R2)
Plex (8 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 12GB Media / 2012 R2)
System Center Configuation Manager (4 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 1TB content / 2012 R2 / increased CPU priority because transcoding)
SQL (8 core / 32GB RAM / 80GB OS / 250GB content / 2012 R2 / SQL 2012)
Offline root CA (2 core / 4GB RAM / 80GB OS / 2012 R2)
AD Subordinate CA (2 core / 4GB RAM / 80GB OS / 2012 R2)
2x Exchange 2013 CAS (4 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 2012 R2)
2x Exchange 2012 MBX (4 core / 16GB RAM / 80GB OS / 250GB content / 2012 R2)
Dirsync (2 core / 4GB RAM / 80GB OS / 2012 R2 core)
AD Federation Service (2 core / 4GB RAM / 80GB OS / 2012 R2 core)
NAP / VPN / Direct connect (4 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 2012 R2 core)
PBX (4 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 250GB content / 2012 R2 / 3CX)

Firewall - PCEngines APU1D4 (128GB SSD / Untangle)
Switch - Dell X1018P (16 port GIGE managed PoE + 2SFP)
AP - EAP1750H (PoE)
Phone - Polycom CX700 (5 in service)

jesus christ man
I wish I had that much stuff

I retired pic related and replaced it with a single server.

I hate to shill the HP ProLiant Micro G8, because I fucking hate HP, but as starting points go, those are pretty decent.

so do you simulate how systems will function before they go production or something along those lines?

does the T620 come on rails?
I need muh rails

With I was doing deployment automation development and testing. I'm still doing it, but I'm at a point where it was time to do it with new hardware, and work decided to pay for a 1/2 rack in a data center, and buy what I asked for. I don't get to keep the hardware and data center space if I leave the company, but the software was something I was working on before I started there.

The T620 is a tower. It can be converted to rack mount, yes, but you might have better luck looking at a R720.

what are the main advantages of running a local DNS server?

I want to compile a list based on my poor understanding of DNS. While it's easy to replicate an unbound config, I was hoping to understand exactly what I'm doing

I'm trying to understand this unbound config calomel.org/unbound_dns.html

Advantages from what I see:
-faster resolution due to local caching DNS server
-DNSSEC validation
-have a local authoritative DNS server for local host names
-avoid trusting third party DNS servers and instead query from root down (?)

Why do you still need forward zones if you are supposedly querying everything from root and going down?
Isn't the whole point to avoid third party DNS and resolve from root? Is this even possible?
I'm probably misunderstanding something crucial here

Picture unrelated

I run my own mostly just to control all my internet services
and because comcast fucks up their DNS every once and awhile

Very nice. You've been on Sup Forums for quite a while. I remember your old rack config

I know I'm retarded but what exactly is the process by which you avoid using third party DNS like comcast or google with your own DNS server?

Is it because your DNS is set to query root servers and then go down to TLD and authoritative as opposed to first querying cuntcast's DNS server? I haven't found a good explanation for this

>what exactly is the process by which you avoid using third party DNS like comcast or google with your own DNS server?
A specific entry for DNS. Though I use forwarders, either, with the exception of root hints.

The goal is to provide either custom or unmolested DNS responses.

Is there a cheap way to run SATA3 level speeds inbetween servers

Assuming the two servers have dual gig nics, the cheapest way is to iscsi one nic to the other server's, and that should net you 1gig throughput.

Next cheapest would be adding gigabit nics and bonding them.

If you need serious throughput (10g+) you're going to have to drop some cash on 10g nics and optics.

>Is there a cheap way to run SATA3 level speeds inbetween servers
Like gigabit Ethernet?

Another option for cheap interconnects is Infiniband.

If I wanted to segment my home network to have a home router, and office router, and a VPN router meant only for the office network, how should I go about it?
Can I connect the routers together directly without a gateway even though the VPN one is using SSH and the others aren't?

gigabit is 1/6 the speed of sata 3

I mean to quote the post I was replying to. I offered him some solutions.

no

>pfSense is the greatest thing ever holy everloving shitchrist.
what do you think of teh new 2.3.2?

Yeah, miss-read.

So try these instead...

ebay.com/itm/IBM-Voltaire-HCA-400EX-PCIe-10GB-Adapter-40K8755-/371434280324?hash=item567b355584:g:YYwAAOSwWnFV765A

ask better formed questions. what do you want to do with each router and why

I'm not even sure what you're trying to ask... be a bit more verbose.

walmart.com/ip/Axiom-PCIe-1Gbs-Quad-Port-Copper-Network-Adapter-for-IBM-Quad-Port-Fiber-Network-Adapter/160345593?sourceid=csesh0238e0da8b8d154ddd9cd476235153edb7&wmlspartner=shoppingcom2&affcmpid=864419902&tmode=0000&veh=cse&sdc_id=1087515857029

BWAHAHAH sold by wallyworld. i would NEVER trust that

Why on earth is the 'mart selling professional networking equipment?

Right now, I only have one router/gateway that serves all the computers in my household. But I want to segment the entire network by dedicating each one for different rooms (living room, bonus room, and WAP/bedrooms served by the home router, office computers served by the office router, and the VPN router being used to connect a file server and a media server so I can access them both inside and outside the house through my own private VPN). The home computers never connect with the office computers and vice versa, but the office or home computers should have access to the VPN router/server to access media and shared files.
Do I need to connect them all to a gateway server anyway so that both the home and office router can connect to the VPN router via an SSH-only protocol? Or can I connect the home and office routers directly to the VPN server/router and use some sort of vLAN to keep the two networks separate but capable of accessing the same file and media servers?

>Or can I connect the home and office routers directly to the VPN server/router and use some sort of vLAN to keep the two networks separate but capable of accessing the same file and media servers?
this-ish

Then should I use the VPN router to configure the vLAN and port forward the necessary ports on both other routers?

I think what you want is a layer 3 switch at the core, and then use vlans with layer 2s to segment your network.

Also, all your vlans will route to each other, the traffic will just route at the first layer 3 device they share.

they have the infrastructure to sell a lot of shit web way

you won't see it next to the poptarts at a physical store but Walmart sells a lot of stuff

Ok, so I'm looking at this supermicro.com/products/system/1U/1018/SYS-1018GR-T.cfm
Along with a 10 core Xeon and 2xRX480's for seedbox VM's and a video wall.
What does Sup Forums think?

>this-ish
Explain. Is your solution similar to this

There's a plugin, but the best option is to set up a jail yourself and install Plex in it. Plugins in general on FreeNAS have some issues.

I have FreeNAS as my base with jails running iRedMail, Plex, Nagios, TS3, Ventrilo, and Mumble

>2x RX480 for video wall

What kind of video wall are you trying to make? That seems a bit like overkill.

Maximum number of displays, 1080p, 1440p, maybe 4K

What's wrong with RT-AC68U with Tomato on it?

it's not pfsense
running serious shit on consumer wifi routers is insane
I've gotten many of them to crash just by running bittorrent

are you just watching a fuckload of streams?
I've got 7 monitors but I just use them for advanced shitposting

Yes, Yes I am.

I wish I could justify spending money on a UPS

Where do I go to learn more about Hyper-V?
such as:
>is it free?
>can I use it without windows server? (ie Win10 pro)

All of my experience is with Virtualbox.

>is it free?
Yes
>can I use it without windows server? (ie Win10 pro)
You have 2 options.
1. Download Hyper-V server. It's free. It's basically a Windows Server OS with nothing but Hyper-V.
2. Enable Hyper-V server on your own computer. You can do it in Programs and Features
>Where do I go to learn more about Hyper-V?
I did it via trial and error. It was super fun.
I am running my on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacentre, but it's only because I had a spare licence.

Ah ok, thanks!

you need some professional help

Oh I'm getting it...from three separate places.

I'm serious my son. Take your money, go to...I dunno...Austria then come back.

But I need muh neetbux for my new bathroom puter and 60in 4k tv..

I have a spare 486 machine laying around, is it powerful enough to be used as any kind of server these days?

No user, you don't need it. You need to go in a random bar in Austria without any type of screen and drink a beer then fuck a whore. trap, male or female I don't care.

using my old desktop as a server.
ubuntu server cause fuck managing this shit
used mainly for samba and torrents (deluge), i have VMs there too (one windows for shit i dont want on my desktop and one playground ubuntu w/o X) but rarely use them.

i3 3220, 8 GB of RAM in an old case with diy dust filters

onboard NIC for system + some HP 4xGBit NIC i got for free for VMs.

120 GB SSD for system drive + important files, 120 GB mSATA SSD for (manual) backups of important shit, 2 TB WD Green for less important data and torrents. i'm not hoarding shit anymore so it's enough.

as for network - VDSL TP-Link router/modem, 2x 5 port GBit unmanaged TP-Link switches, old TP-Link aDSL router in basement working as switch/AP.

cheap ghetto setup but gets the work done and i cba to have a rack at home, havve over 1000 of them at work

I don't drink beer, tyvm. Moonshine, absinthe, uzo etc are fine thou.
And I have a waifu, tyvm

What's the best free NAS OS?

I've heard FreeNAS is pretty good, but is there anything better?
I'm about to convert my previous build into a NAS once I move and I've been exploring my options.

I'm sure it can run a database without a hitch

freenas is pretty good, there's nothing I know of that's similar
you can roll your own if you want, but it's a lot of work compared to installing a os and pressing a few buttons

From security point of view how retarded is using apache reverse proxy on homeserver for shit like printer's status page to be accessible from the outside?
Apache itself is accessible anyway and runs webdav and phproxy.

C-can I come to play too?
Yuropoor student budget doesn't let me get anything fancier, but it actually fits my current needs of Minecraft/TS3/MediaServer/Backup/NAS

My server has a tendency to crap out after a while, especially when I try interacting with it on the local network at home. I'm wondering whether my configurations might be the cause.

Here's the interfaces for my dedicated server:
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
bridge_maxwait 0

Maybe I shouldn't have dhcp? For some reason that seems to work better though.

Here's my virtual server's (which runs on the dedicated):
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.160.0.102
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.160.0.0
broadcast 192.160.1.255
gateway 192.160.0.1

Here it's static. I've got these servers configured on a static dhcp lease table on the router. Maybe I should change this to dhcp instead?

And finally here's a part of my virtual server's xml thing:

I've handled all the ports on the dedicated server since I assume everything goes through it and I don't need to configure ports for the virtual server.

Yes, with mellanox 10gbe nics. You can get them for cheap on ebay.

£150 budget for a nas.
Going to be sued to store media such as films and music and stream it to no more than 2 pc's at a time.
It'll also be used as a file server.
It must be able to torrent and use as little power as possible.

Any recommendations?

Can up the budget if it's something special

any pc with gigabit lan and 1-2 hdds will be enough for this

A pc? I need something with way low power footprint, which was why I was thinking of a straight up nas.

How do you connect a patch panel to a switch? Do you use really short patch cords that form a U shape or use a longer cable, route it through the side and then to the switch?

Yo guys. I just got OpenVPN setup and I need to be able to send the config file to my phone or another computer to use it.

I used to just send a email with Mutt but comcast blocked outgoing emails.

What's the easiest way to send that file? I'm running centos with no DE.

>going to be sued

*used. I'm spasticated rn bro

underated.

Looking to make myself a home server when I finally move out of my parents basement, what would be recommended?

I'm thinking nothing too powerful, and quite frugal in power usage, but able to handle a range of tasks, including running a couple of virtual machines so I can run tasks remotely.

Find a used or refurbished desktop with either a Cherry Trail (or later) Intel quad-core Celeron/Pentium or a Kabini (or later) desktop quad-core APU. I've got an A4-5000 working as a NAS made for backing-up all the Windows and Linux computer in my network. Even with four HGST NAS hard drives, the entire NAS uses less than 70W of power at peak.

pls help

use scp or ftp
this is basic stuff m80

l i q u i d a t e
amzn.com/B00LSQOY6G

>$200 for a glorified HDD enclosure

>R2 Datacenter
Spooky

Don't forget hot swappable

Sorry I was just looking for a quicker route than setting up ftp and shit. Guess I'll just do it. Thanks.

if you use ssh you can literally just log in like normal through something like filezilla or winscp

Why wait? Get started now with your existing hardware. Install Hyper-V or Proxmox and worry about putting them on a dedicated server later.

If your only device is a laptop, I'd recommend buying a few Raspberry Pi devices. You can do some basic stuff with them now, and repurpose them once you get an actual server in and delegate them to less mission-critical tasks, like redundant DHCP/DNS, or setting up an alerting system that monitors the health of your physical server.

>From a security standpoint
>Making non-public-web-services available from the outside

Do not do this. Configure OpenVPN and VPN in.

just got a new computer and listening to rice diss tracks #dicksoutforharambe

Is using apache password that bad? Also my printer page has zero settings or other interactive tools, just ink and paper status.