External Graphics card

Feel like a caveman but I didn't know this existed until today.
It looks to good to be true? If it isn't shouldn't it be a new standard for laptops?
What exactly are the pros and cons?
If we exclude the cost and the fact that this rig would take up space.

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Mobile-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1070-Laptop.169549.0.html
notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-G752VS-Notebook-Review.171608.0.html
notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT62VR-6RE-Dominator-Pro-Notebook-Review.171215.0.html
m.banggood.com/NGFF-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1009978.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's slowly becoming a standard. The problem is normalfags are too stupid to use it to it's very niche. I currently use my X220 for school and work and when I get home, plug it into my 1080 for gaming. None of the bulk+all my needs

The PCI speeds aren't completely comparable to desktops, but it is a viable solution if you can find the parts for cheap enough.

You lose 10% performance from bandwidth bottleneck and are limited by laptop cpu.

You also need an external monitor for ati cards

T420 + GTX 950 here, pretty much this With the docking station and expresscard connection it's pretty convenient.

Razer Core over Thunderbolt 3.0

I've been wanting to set have am eGPU setup for ages. Old laptop lacked the right expansion slot. Newer MBP only has thunderbolt 1 and that never materialized outside of some very expensive bullshit that would probably break with a EFI update.

Finally now we're getting some sort of standardization with usb-c/TB3 ports and real companies making products.

All we need now is a chink company to do it for a fraction of the price.

Dell XPS13 + eGPU is the dream.

What setup do you have?
Do you use EXP GDC?
Would there be a bottleneck when connected to NGFF? And a powerful processor?

Yeah I use exp gdc

Can I be so rude to ask for a picture? (i'm really curious)

I'm not at my home right now. Labor day weekend with my family.

>external gxc
The 1070 (laptop) is faster than a Titan X

notebookcheck.net/Mobile-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1070-Laptop.169549.0.html

notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-G752VS-Notebook-Review.171608.0.html

notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT62VR-6RE-Dominator-Pro-Notebook-Review.171215.0.html

Don't be a poorfag.

Ahh okay no worries, but I have to ask do you leave it open or have you bought/built a case for it? Also what is your power supply?

I leave it semi open. I put a little cover on the side so water wont land on it. Power supply was a standard 500w I had laying around. Its overkill since you can use one of those dell ones.

I've got a T420 with the nvidia gpu and a 660ti installed in my desktop
if I disable the onboard gpu and plug the 660ti into the dock, would it work? What about a AMD 5770?

What dock? You need, GPU, egpu dock, power supply, external monitor

Kek funny how you mention it sense I own a GS60 6QC Ghost. Never buying a MSI laptop ever again.
>So water won't land on it
Haha Wtf? Also when you say "one of those dell ones" what do you mean?

PE4L
I don't want to drop $100 on a gpu dock that isn't going to work

Does anyone have a chart or something for the different performance's between
*Expresscard
*Mini PCI-e
*NGFF
?

Post a link to the dock.

$55 then?
m.banggood.com/NGFF-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1009978.html

all depends on how many pci lanes the chipset supports

That's the one I have. It works.

Dunno, my T420 doesn't have the nvs dGPU so i only had to plug the EXP GDC and everything works.

I would assume if I disable the nvs gpu and switch it to iGPU only it should work
and that dock seems like it would be just as good for less
I'll try it out next paycheck

>NGFF on a t420
wut

What?

Is there a bottleneck?

Where do you plug it? iirc the t420 only has mini pci-e and expresscard.

Well it puts the oil on it's chip or else it gets the screws again.
Honestly I have no idea.

there's a version with expresscard you clowns
I OBVIOUSLY meant that one

I installed one of these on my laptop today. R9 380 gives me a nice lan machine, would recommend

>unupgradable
>gaymer build quality

Don't be a retard.

which dock are you using? EXP GDC V8?

god damn, i never found a use for the expresscard slot in my 7 year old hp dv5. too cheap to spend 50 bucks on something that might potentially not work though

One like in the picture, instead of using a full PSU you get a simple power brick which gives about 220w over an 8 pin connector.

Personally I'm using a 1060 with an x230t, i5, 8gb ram, the 1060 connects through ExpressCard and sits on a PE4C.

Witcher 3 runs on ultra at 30 fps, and on high at 50.
No difference whether I run it on laptop screen or an external one.
Most of everything else is doable at 60+, CPU being the bottle neck.

10/10 would use again

Pics?

On what is it connected on PCI-e, expresscard etc?
I'm personally trying to figure out what/if I will lose effect and how I can make it minimal. Luckily the CPU will unlikely be the culprit (i7 2,8-3,7Ghz (8cpu's)

Card sits on a PE4C, a pci-e to ExpressCard adapter, the bandwidth of ExpressCard is pretty low when compared to your standard slot on a motherboard, so you do get a performance hit, not to mention the latency, but it's not too bad, especially with Nvidia cards since they can compress the data going between the PC and the card.

Nothing else you can do to improve it though, short of just building a normal rig.

Yes thank you!

Heh I like how the psu just towers beside the gpu. Have you tried the EXP GDC aswell? Would be intressting to compare it with PE4C.

Do eGPUs help with reducing temperature of your laptop or does the temperature stay the same?

>Macbook Pro 2013 and later.
>tfw mid2012.

Fucking goddamnit. I bet this is the same reason I can't native EFI boot windows without issues.

Assuming you have a dedicated GPU inside the machine already then yes.

That GPU will be switched off. The machine will run cooler while doing something GPU intensive and you will likely be able to maintain your CPU turbo longer since your thermal envolope has more wiggle room.

Sorry for asking again but google is being retarded and unhelpful..
What is the difference bandwidth wise between
*Mini PCI-E
*Expresscard
*NGFF

Specifically, I can't find concrete numbers.

This eGPU thing totally dismissed
IN EUROPE IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND THAT SHIT

what

exp gdc has free worldwide shipping everywhere

>x220
>1080

Fucking why

Enjoy your 1x pci express speed bottleneck

But I have no trust other than amazon when ordering stuff from abroad
I have zero experience when it comes to buying stuff online because I have not bought anything online and I'm extremely paranoid.
Wat do

>eternal graphics cards

It sounds bad but isn't that noticeable in practice, i get like 5-8 less fps on furmark than my desktop.

t. pleb with t420 + gtx 960 on pcie x1

Meanwhile i buy everything from China because Amazon has fucking retarded shipping fees to this shithole.

>i have zero experience
Tgen get some. Ask /csg/ to guide you, gearbest sells the exp gdc and you can pay with PayPal to be safe.

Or buy some $1 shit first and see how it goes if you're too scared.

>60hz laptop panel

>Or buy some $1 shit first and see how it goes if you're too scared.
I'll probably start with this and then I'll proceed buying exp gdc.
Thank you for your reply, I'm going to take the best out of your advice.

You shouldn't worry lad, google for reviews and what people say about a supplier/website, most of the time is just paranoia. I personally have been importing from China and india for many years now with rarely any incident.
Honestly I've had better experience importing abroad then dealing with ingrown cocky ass fucking companies in the west.

Anyone have suggestions for a small light psu with at least 400w available?

The cheapest unbranded thing you can get for $10 works.

Hmm not sure I trust something unbranded with that load of electricity.
Do you have one particular in mind?

If you only need 400w anything should work.

you could even find a 12v power brick and use that

>but it's not too bad, especially with Nvidia cards since they can compress the data going between the PC and the card
boy you are fucking retarded
get off Sup Forums

I have the same thing

Wish I had thunderbolt on my pc :/