What router does Sup Forums have?

rarely see a thread about routers, discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

amzn.com/B01HMF7KKS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ubiquiti Edgerouter PoE + Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Pro.

Rock solid.

NYPA

AC1750 meme router.

Happy but lacks QoS.

Never hanged on me once, I reboot it every few months just to be sure.

Archer c2 and c5 here, c2 for wireless access point.

Um how? Almost every router have qos/bandwith control or whatever they put words on it.

I've got an Asus AC68U, quite happy with it. Handles my 1Gbps connection pretty damn nicely, I've seen 100MB/s real-world torrent download speeds and it hasn't crashed or frozen once on me, even with 6+ months uptime.

I've been having an itch to build a custom router PC for fun/learning, but this one does everything I want it to so I can't even begin to justify spending on one.

WiFi access point:
TP-Link TL-WDR 4300 running OpenWRT

Actual WAN router:
Raspberry Pi, running an OpenVPN client

GOAT wireless router here.

WRT1900AC, best investment I've ever did

C7 V2 is what I got.

You can set bandwidth allocation but not prioritization.

I have a Zotac CI323 NANO U with IPfire installed as my router connected to a Negear GS105e switch and for wifi I have a Google Onhub as a WAP

Nice, linksys wrt1200ac here.
Openwrt installed. Everything justWerks(tm).
Would recommend.

WatchGuard T10, Ubiquiti USG 4 Pro, TP-Link SG2424, 1 12 port PoE bar 24v, 1 12 port PoE bar 48 v, and 3 Ubiquiti UAP's.

im a heavy gamer in my spare time, considering buying picrelated

Falling for the meme

nice meme!

>AC68U
Also have one, also happy with it. Bought it after the 30 dollar netgear dropped connection one too many times. It's the only router in my house that I share with 5 other students (20+ connected devices at times) and it works without a hitch.

whats wrong with it? gamer looks aside its probably high-end equipment.

This one.

I never cared because it just werks and I doubt a 'better' router would raise my connection above 2 Mbit.

It has Dualband WiFi too and even delivered the full bandwith when I had VDSL. Good times...

>450n very hihg speed wifi
>10/100 RJ45
lmfoa

same, except i have the white one that hangs on the wall (AC66W) because it was like $15 cheaper. pretty solid for gaymen QoS

My ISP provides an AC1750 router/modem with MoCA 2.0, and 4 port gigabit ethernet switch.

It's not bad I have 150/150mbps and with 1 floor in the way I get full speeds on my phone, from 2 floors away I get 100/100mbps.

> high-end equipment.

If you're going to spend that much user buy yourself some enterprise level gear and APs

>enterprise

AC87, i like it.

>le mimis

For what some of you are paying you can make your own goddamn router and buy a WAP.

5mbps cable modem
v v v
T60 with PFsense
v v v
expresscard to PCIe riser with spare 10/100 NIC
v v v
Cisco 3550 10/100 L3 switch
v v v
old outdated router used as 802.11n AP

The joys of being a network eng student with no fucking money but plenty of mostly broken gear around...

For REAL

prosumer garbage

what is your router of choice

brutalist router

Edgerouter/Pfsense + Ubiquity UAP-AC-Pro (PoE)

I have an Asus OnHub
its fucking great

>prosumer

Routers are for fools
I only use a hard-line dial-up modem.

>implying that's not an actual growing market for pseudo intellectuals

Neighbor's shit I just HACKED. Fuck all y'all!

Fuck off
this is my main router

>10/100
>10/10

Would it be worth it to upgrade all my shit from 802.11n to 802.11ac? Is ac still the fastest protocol?

AC is gonna be replaced soon, how long can you wait?

802.11ad is coming 2017 apparently, but hasn't been ratified yet.
Just buy what you need, when you need it.

That's what I'm asking. It feels fine to me right now, I just want to know if it would be worth it to upgrade if it would be noticeable.

If a new version is coming out soon I can definitely wait. I would have to upgrade the radios in all my shit anyway, they all top out on 802.11n like the router.

One of these, running pfSense

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1037U @ 1.80GHz
2 CPUs: 1 package(s) x 2 core(s)

2 GB RAM

64 GB ssd

If you want worthwhile upgrades, don't look past ac. It's fast enough, providied you have good enough base stations.
Upgrade your core network to 10G, you won't regret it. This year Netgear and Linksys put out some of the most affordable 10G multilayer switches ever.

Link?
Both interfaces Intel or some relaek garbage? Does it have a serial console?

It doesn't even cost that much since the hardware requirements for pfsense are so low. Basically any computer made in the last 10 years, a dual NIC card, and some router/WAP to provide wifi.

I use a C2D Thinkcentre and an Apple Airport Extreme. The geodesic radome increases my range.

What are those antenna connector splitters called? I want to slap a bunch on my router.

RP-SMA female T conjoiner/adapter

Example:
amzn.com/B01HMF7KKS

Not really the best idea.... probably get more loss and reflection from doing that.

can anyone recommend a router for me? its so embarrassing asking since I study computer networking but I only just finished my first year and I am still learning a lot and applying that knowledge as best I can. If anyone could explain the reasoning behind why they recommend what they do, it would be much appreciated!

I'm a student, so it can't be terribly expensive. I play games online as well, and have different streaming devices and other computers. I also live in a small apartment, so it doesn't need to be anything too wild or far-reaching. Thanks Sup Forums

running windows fucking xp
because it just werks

pfsense

i run a uap-al-lite for wireless

The rule of thumb is to just go with the one with the most antennas

I'm rocking an old ass wrt54G v3.1 with DD-WRT. I'm just kinda pissed that port forwarding doesn't' work on it and none of the workarounds I tried work on it, and there's no new build for it where it's fixed (only an older build where it works but wireless security is broken because of a bug and a lack of memory).

>b/g wifi
>can only route 37.5Mbps max
how is this GOAT?

>I play games online as well, and have different streaming devices and other computers.
it's called ethernet

I got a ASUS RT-AC68U seems like the WiFi got fucked up from one or 2 patches ago just doesn't seem like the WiFi can reach that far I know my router is going through maybe 5 walls before I get outside but damn man this is sad.

I only buy $6 routers from goodwill then pocket all the antennas i take off. I got a dual band gigabit 8 port by dlink for $6 and it works perfectly.

I found the ultimate solution: multiple cheap routers networked together.

Solves load balancing (shove all the guests/phones traffic onto one router), one router for myself to maximize performance, one router to handle all the legacy 802.11g stuff, and one more to act as a cheap gigabit switch to isolate networks.

You dont know what a VLAN or QoS is do you?

please tell me you're not going through NAT multiple times...
You need to go on ebay and buy an old gig managed switch, preferably multilayer. Make some vlans, do it right. The amount of complexity this ads with no benefits is ridiculous.

that is fucking retarded

TPlink archer c2.
cheap ass cable router, does a pretty gud job though

Steve would be proud

>guests
NORMIE

looks like something the brotherhood of nod would build

k6 setup with gentoo, three quad intel nic's on the beast.
Every 'ready' router i've tested, been complete garbage or have failed due to overheating after two years of use.

kek

That's a big router.

>wrt54G
What a legend

>Edgerouter
get a load of this edgelord

This thing

you fucked up those covers mang.

Rocking an old ass Asus WL-500G Premium with an old ass version of DD-WRT. No reason to change it yet since my badwidth is low as fuck and this guys can handle it just fine.

Asus RT-N66U running DD-WRT.

Stablest shit I ever saw.

Stonehenge got updated to AC?

tplink wdr3600 running ddwrt. it was $30. stable for years.

why do you retards buy $250 routers?

I have pic related.
Never had a problem until my father burned it with wrong power adapter.
Still their support sent me a new one :>

>why do you retards buy $250 routers?
Because they're better than your consumershit routers?

Apple Airport Extreme.
I have 4 devices, roommate has 6 + Living room Chromecast.
Never fails to max out our 200M symmetrical fiber connection w/ AC.

>Never fails to max out our 200M symmetrical fiber connection w/ AC.
You do realize that the speedtest you posted is less than 200mbit?

he doesn't know, let him live in ignorance, he seems happy, don't ruin it.

Only the best :3

>using external peripherials instead of a PCI phone+line card

I know nothing about wireless receivers for desktops

What's a good one on the market? Are the best one PCI based or are they usb? Any recs?

newfag here,
if I have a cat 5 cable that would normally go into my pc, can i get a router and will i then have a wireless network? I still want my desktop wired but want a wireless network as well

It's been 10 long years of service, but I couldn't bring myself to replace it with an archer c7 when it was on sale last week, in part because I've never used openwrt, and haven't really looked up how to go about flashing with it effectively.

Does this ease your autism?

>non-standard graphics
>speeds magically 15% above what you're supposedly paying for
>for a tier of service not even offered by your ISP

better at what?

pretty much everything? when your router is 10 years old will you still be using it?

what is it that it needs to be better at? it's throughput is greater than my connection speed and uptime is sitting at 23 days atm.

what do i get if i spend an extra $100 on a router right now? what did you get?

>when your router is 10 years old will you still be using it?

if it still works and my bandwidth and bandwidth requirements hasn't gone up beyond what the router is capable of, then yes. i'll be using the same router with the same firmware.

>if it still works and my bandwidth and bandwidth requirements hasn't gone up beyond what the router is capable of, then yes. i'll be using the same router with the same firmware.
enjoy your security vulnerabilities because your consumershit router wont be getting updates 10 years from now

>what is it that it needs to be better at?
hardware accelerated VPN connections? support for BGP and IGP protocols? A greater number of ACL rules? More complex ACL rules? Redundancy? etc?