/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
# - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
# - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for gentoo

KDE Neon or Kubuntu?

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

What lightweight distro would you recommend? I've been using arch for almost a year, but due to lack my of experience I managed to fuck it up.

How do you break Arch an entire year in?

This is my compton.conf, are there any other options that might be a good idea?

backend = "glx";
paint-on-overlay = true;
vsync = "opengl-swc"

by using octopi

kkk, how lightweight do you want your distro anyway?
Debian level or puppy level?

I have an archive encoded with none utf8 character set. How can I unzip it with correct file names, not like 1 ªãàá «¥ªæ?

I'm loving the relevant OP images lately.

>glx
>vsync
nice bloat

after doing a quick research, I can't decide between lubuntu or manjaro, I know manjaro is not really lightweight, but I think it would be fine, what do you think about those 2?

I have Android Studio extracted in my home directory.

It runs fine when I execute the .sh file to run it from command line. The emulator works fine, debugging works fine, everything Java related works fine.

But when I create a link in /usr/local/bin and run it through the link, I get pic related. All three variables point to the correct directory, so I don't even fucking know why it's being retarded like this.

Why the hell is this happening?

Whatever you do, don't fall for anything Arch. Lubuntu is the obviously better choice here if you like a semi-decent system.

Lubuntu is Debian/Ubuntu-based and uses LXDE, Manjaro is Arch-based and primarily uses XFCE (about as lightweight as LXDE), but it has an LXDE flavor if you want. Honestly you could flip a count between the two, but I'd probably go with Lubuntu just because it (probably) has more users and support available.

>lubuntu
LXDE is shit
>manjaro
shitty arch fork

Depends if you want newer packages or are fine with Ubuntu's delayed shit.

Personally have been using Antergos(basically same as Manjaro) for a long time and am pretty happy.

man compton

I thought Antergos is just an installer?

It stops the tearing when firefox is scrolling.

It's rebranded Arch for n00bs. Even though arch isn't even hard to install. Gentoo isn't even hard to install, it's just all memes.

Mostly. It also features a repo of their own. Some small packages perhaps.. Not entirely sure, actually.

There's similarly nothing wrong with using Antergos to install Arch. It's a pretty good installer.
Goes entirely against the Arch way, however. Not knowing what you're installing, having a full desktop with a preconfigured theme á la Ubuntu.

In the end, it doesn't matter if people use it. Although I don't see why they don't instead use Fedora or Ubuntu if that's what they're after.

What if I want newer packages than in Ubuntu but I don't like Red Hat using me as a test beaver?

Define newer? Arch only takes the latest stables. Fedora has newer packages, Ubuntu has its devel level and development packages, along with the PPA system.
If you want new new, then Gentoo might be for you? Arch could be interesting too.

But how would Antergos be more pleasant for that than Ubuntu or Fedora? Sincere question.

Altthough to be fair, I found the Antergos installer far better than the Ubuntu one. You could choose bootloader, it had a good partitioning menu and -- as it's based on Arch -- locale can be more diverse than "You want enUS, so you must never leave the country".

Fedora is pretty underrated, testbed or not - it's better than being a Canonical fag or a Mint toddler. (not ?)

Every distribution can be "lightweight". Stop using buzzwords whose meaning no one knows, especially not you.

Where did you got the idea that Arch could be lightweight?

So I just installed openSUSE, but after GRUB, I get stuck on a black screen with nothing on it but a single _

Except it's Arch, that intentionally bloats packages and kernel to "keep it simple".

>So I just installed openSUSE,
Why?

RPM

It's always the same. Every day. Repeat.

Bumpin' the question.

Shower.
Go outside.
Get a haircut.
Go to a café.
Read a book.

Which archive format?

zip.

Immediately before the blank screen

Try

env LANG=C 7z x file.zip

otherwise check iconv and rename the results

Try Control-C just before (or during) the black screen.

Try CTRL+ALT+F2 and check if you get a tty. Then you can run dmesg and check what happend.

>Try out Cinnamon
>Laggy as shit
>Switch to Xfce
>Smooth as diarrhea

Is there even any point in using Cinnamon? If you're going to use something bloated then you might as well use Gnome since it looks good while being full of bloat

I recently have no sound on Debian. Yesterday everything went well. Did i somehow mute the system ?

Okay
I thought the install went well?

open alsamixer.

When I press the mute-button, it mutes pulse-audio and alsa, but when I press the mute-button again it unmutes pulse-audio but not alsa. thx

How do I get a graphical environment running?

Install one and start it either via startx or a display manager.

>Arch only takes the latest stables.
in most cases, yes, but some things are included which are marked as beta upstream
for example;
Name : grub
Version : 1:2.02.beta3-3
they have a good reason for them, for example, the latest "stable" grub is over 4 years old

On gentoo, my mpv doesn't have the progress bar and pause/play/fastforward buttons. Is there a use flag to add this feature?

not sure why you'd want it, but it's called "osc", that's probably its USE flag also, if i were to guess

'startx'

lua USE flag

And some things are really out of date
ardour 4.7-1
The lua flag if I remember correctly.

>And some things are really out of date
i think the maintainer might be dead
he has 36 packages to his name, nothing has been touched since may, one thing was flagged out of date in april

How easy it is to do PCI passthrough on ubuntu?
I Don't want to do the arch one because arch fucking breaks all the time. I just want something that werks which is why I will go with xubuntu to be more precise.

>arch fucking breaks all the time
nice meme
also
>ubuntu
>just werks
lol

>arch fucking breaks all the time
good luck figuring out gpu passthrough if you can't hold an arch installation together m8io

>Implying it doesn't shit itself whenever there's new packages because it doesn't keep older packages in it's rep.

Installing is not the issue here, anyone can read the retarded wiki but I don't want to do everything from scratch every 4 months due to things breaking up after a system upgrade

Why do you keep spouting those memes and myths? You obviously have no first-hand experience and all of your "knowledge" stems from Sup Forums posts. Are you really that naive and gullible that you believe everything you see on here?
You're pathetic and also an idiot for thinking that there's a difference between setting up PCI passthrough on different distributions.

Why are you so angry at a question? Did I offend your mother because I don't want to use your favorite distro?

Why archfags like you get so angry for no reason at all? Can't you really answer the question? Move on.

Also
>/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux

guys, I don't know which to go for, xubuntu or lubuntu?

As a former Arch user, it's the community and their incompetence that puts me off most.

ubuntu or arch

what kinda question is that? ubuntu.

>systemd

>bait

Just finished installing Debian.

Why is the default font rendering so ass? Also I really cannot see why would I use it over Ubuntu. Basically the same only slightly more inconvenient in many ways.

>Why is the default font rendering so ass
Because you are welcome to configure it just like every other part of your distro.

Anyone here set up mpdroid? I can't get it to connect and I'm not sure what settings I need to be setting and where.

Just finished installing Arch.

Why is the default font rendering so ass? Also I really cannot see why would I use it over Manjaro. Basically the same only slightly more inconvenient in many ways.

Just install OpenBSD already.

No interest in cuckolding, thanks.

lsblk isn't showing /boot as mounted. /dev/sda1 is set as /boot in fstab..

In gentoo is /boot auto unmounted when it isn't needed or something? My system is working fine otherwise. If this is expected behavior, what is the purpose?

>Why is the default font rendering so ass?
Fix it
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality

Add the repos and then

sudo pacman -S freetype2-infinality-ultimate fontconfig-infinality-ultimate ibfonts-meta-extended

>xinit failed
fml

Install xorg
Install gnome / plasma-desktop / xfce4 / deepin / whatever

The true KISS way would be simply reading the fontconfig docs and edit 2 lines in his fontconfig config - but no, Archusers love bloat.

Does it have the "noauto" option in fstab?

Also
sudo systemctl enable (lightdm/gdm/sddm)

>cuckolding

Stop acting like you'd develop anything worthwhile on OpenBSD if you actually used it.

>m-m-muh cuck license!

Why don't you develop something worth shit first before you talk about licenses.

>sudo
why aren't you root? do you own the system or does the system own you?

Arch isn't for you. Install Manjaro.

Arch is for advanced users.

Yes.

Then there's your answer. If you for some reason want it automounted, remove that option.

Cool, dude.

GUYS what are some cool things you can do on Linux???

Is pic real or just a meme?

arch is for unemployed neckbeards who want to feel elite about their distro on the internet

Ssh into it and do things to it wirelessly. Use it as a TV box. Make a server with it. Just off the top of my head really.

Why doesn't Arch provide an simple installer? It can't be the "lightweight" argument since kernel and packages are already bloated. What's the point other than being edgy?

This has nothing to do with Arch.
It's about you being an obnoxious idiot.

Deblobbing it.

Can you answer the question at least?
I really would like some user with the knowledge to help me out.

As easy as on Arch, Fedora, Debian, OpenSUSE or any distribution.

How many of /fglt/ards are actually using Gentoo? Is it worth installing / learning it or just a hobby? I think I'd take the time installing it if it is actually worth the time and work.

Thanks.
Performance is also similar? usually 96% of the native one?
What about stability?