What are your thoughts on the internet of things?

what are your thoughts on the internet of things?

It's almost like saying "pls hack me have this vulnerability and hack me pls"

This

>So today I wasted 3 hours debugging. Please respond in each post Point and Laugh at me with memes

>My app is almost ready for distrubution just changed some small stuff. Went out for lunch and came back. Nothing was working anymore.

>Logging in..,registering.. nothing works! just hangs and does nothing. Nothing in catch blocks.(that catches all errors) Tried everything went back each step. Checked frameworks. Wifi is enabled.

>After 3 hours and you-know-the-WTFISTHIS moment that you are ready to format your laptop you even checked if your breathing or some chair you moved in the house is causing the issue in the first place (because its nothing in the coding).

>I went on Whatsapp to ask some guy for help...

>hmm whatsapp was not working...hmm but I am connected to Wifi.

>For some strange reason my router was not working and everything just connected to the next thing with wifi: my fucking water kettle. (I got this Ikettle 2.0 as a gift)

>I WAS CONNECTED TO A KETTLE

Courtesy of Reddit.

>being that careless

Couldn't expect nothing less from the redditor mouthbreathers.

doa

what is this and why do i feel like its shit?

I have Philips Hue lights but that's the extent of automation I want. The fridge seems retarded though.

Can't wait for my dishwasher, washingmachine, toaster and coffemachine has a kernel panic or BSOD. Or even better, gets hijacked by some skid and burns down my fucking house.

I will never buy anything internet thing.

Fucking kikes trying to make me integrate my home into their fucking information harvesting schemes, there will be CHARTS online keeping track of how long i cook my fucking toast.

Y'all can fuck off with this internet of dangs meme baka.

The only company doing it right (as usual) is Apple with HomeKit.

Everyone else is building shitty Android-based garbage that is a security nightmare waiting to happen.

Cool idea. I'll be on board once most of it has been through the ringer and we start getting the really cool shit.

Hopefully the first time it burns someone's house down or kills a family with carbon monoxide poisoning or whatever else we'll never have to hear of this stupid shit again.

I legitimately feel sorry for the people who don't understand all the ways this is retarded idea.

The whole home on a network concept is just screaming "Hack me please" Just like the Remote access Thermostats and Door locks. Stupid people can't you just turn the damn things down/off/lock the fucking doors manually anymore or have you all became so slaved to your smart phone that you can't live without it.

It's going to allow the NSA to literally perform a coup against the entire country, and everybody, every institution in government will be defenseless because they all rely on those things to do their jobs.

gimmick

If hackers can get into supposedly high secure data bases and steal credit card info from companies then getting into peoples houses remotely setting your thermostat, unlocking your doors, having full control over your lights,etc, hijacking the security cams and then watching everything you do is will be child's play compared to that.

Apple in charge of security? Yeah, what could ever go wrong.

Aaaand Android is fucking shit too. There is just no hope, we can only wait until everyone gets goatse'd in every single ``smart device'' they own.

cant wait for my grandparents to call me every day needing tech support on their fucking toaster and thermostat and shit.

I have to question why the fuck my fridge needs to be anything other than a insulated box with shelves and a refrigeration unit on the back

I honestly can't think of any situation where it would be at all reasonable for a appliance to have a internet connection

Exactly. IoT is nothing if not a field day for hackers.

it's just """engineers""" trying to solve a problem that isnt there. people are eager to try and give themselves a high tech jetsons home but they are too dumb and misguided to see the benefits of having a regular couch instead of one that you have to log into your phone to recline

It's been hilarious so far and I'm sure it will only get better.
>avoid IoT shit like the plague
>every 2-3 months: useless IoT startup #75120 got hacked, their lightbulbs are now part of a botnet and ddosing the pentagon, o noes!!!
>nothing for me to worry about, get to sit back and laugh at the general incompetence

Literally botnet

Nah man, it should keep track of what food is inside automatically and how fresh it is so it can tell you what to buy each time you go to the store. It'll be awesome! The fridge technology is ready, all we need now is to figure out how to grow tomatoes with RFID tags inside!

>slap a touch screen on something
>charge up to 500% more for it
>""tech"" blogs call it innovative and people buy it

can't make this shit up

So the NSA can see that you like to keep your dragon dildos icy cold.

>2016
>Being this afraid of progress

When do we get the brain implants to become Google zombies?

>Current Year
>Ignoring very real, very plausible threats to safety and security

Literally one of the dumbest memes ever.

Don't forget
>replace every 2-5 years because that's how long the shitty electronics they're using last (especially with bloated mandatory software updates that gimp older versions, whereas a quality fridge compressor lasts 30+ years.

>Thinking you can make money by slapping on a sensor and a modem on some shitty linux board
>Falling for the IOT meme

>it should keep track of what food is inside automatically and how fresh it is
you can also do this by looking inside it
>so it can tell you what to buy each time you go to the store.
you can also do this by being a average responsible adult and keeping a shopping list

>internet on things

>tfw hacked neighbor's fridge to torrent Chinese cartoons on
>Doing encoding on his tv
>Occasionally turn his heating on, it carries over to my apartment
>The faggot two floors down got vanned because someone torrented cp on his waffle iron

I can't wait, to be honest.

>mfw envisioning getting paid megabux for security

Internet of Things is the greatest buzzword since Web 2.0!

Wait no, most annoying.