/sqt/ - Stupid Question Thread

Welcome to the /sqt/
Ask your simple/small/stupid questions here
If you see someone make a thread asking one of the above, redirect them here.

Join us on IRC:
irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/sqt
Webchat:
1. webchat.freenode.net/?channels=sqt
2. kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/sqt

You are not entitled to a response, so wait patiently and don't spam the thread.

first for gay sex

second for jordan is a faggot

so where do people go for torrents these days? Is kickass torrents still dead?

Private trackers.
to begin your climb up the /pyramid/.

but I don't torrent regularly, I just want to catch up on Arrow and Flash but CW is terrible.

cool

so i need to get my dad off windows. im sick and tired of fixing his shit. i put a bootable linux mint usb in his comp and it works pretty good. i'm backing his whole drive up now.

the only thing i know he needs on his comp is an easy to use remote desktop program so he can get into his shop comps, i had him set up with teamviewer, but chrome remote desktop seems even easier (botnet but whatever)

so is all this a good idea/bad idea?

Is Fractal Designs Define R5 a decent upgrade from the CM 690 II?

if he likes it, very good idea.

Private tracker users dont actually use the tracker, they just join so they have something to talk about on the internet, that they are better then other people
torrentz2
extratorrent

>Private tracker users dont actually use the tracker
I have literally never downloaded a single torrent from a public tracker

You are literally full of shit
You torrented shit before you knew about private trackers

See Sup Forumsentlmen the children lie

No I didn't. Before I knew about private trackers, I got:
- Movies + TV from a cable subscription
- Music by watching it on YouTube or taking it out from the library
- Vidyagames by buying them

i think he'll like it. he doesn't do anything crazy on it. the only thing i can think he may want to try is some of the programs he uses at his shop (mechanic software stuff). i figure if he wants to do that i can set him up with a virtualbox or maybe wine. a lot of the stuff he uses down there only works on XP

>a lot of the stuff he uses down there only works on XP
Better for him to use Linux than the outdated unstable exploit-prone piece of garbage called XP.

>im sick and tired of fixing his shit
>i put a bootable linux mint usb in his comp
>mint
Well, I hope you look forward to fixing shit you don't even know how to fix.

yea i've been worried about that for a while. i just hope his software works well in a vm, because he needs to get the fuck off xp

If I cancel an Amazon Prime trial before it runs out but after getting some free 2-day shipping on stuff, will they be cool with it, or will I get retroactively charged for the shipping or something?

if you've already made the payment you're fine

>not understanding how privileges work

Hey guys, fucko here. I have a gtx 760 1.5 gb (rebranded gtx 660 1.5gb). Is it worth upgrading to anything less than the newest series of cards?

Bitchin', thanks for the quick answer, even though it wasn't even really Sup Forums related.

Depends what do you use your computer for

Do you need anything that a 760 isnt doing for you?

>taking your dad's rights to the computer away from him
And then you go to update it or do something that requires privileges and you break it.
Or it implodes on itself.
Or do you think you can just leave it unupdated like your retarded Windows 7 installation at home because Linux is obviously oh so secure that it doesn't need security updates ?

What should I do to meet people when I go outside. The library is just filled with a bunch of old weird people

Damn dude I feel bad for you

>what are lts kernels
>daddy dosent need bleeding edge
>install programs daddy needs during install
>daddy isnt going to be installing from github

>vnc ONCE a month and apply updates

>still using the one distro that is notorious for breaking itself because its maintainers are complete retards
Jesus fuck
You could at least give him an actually competent distro like openSUSE.

how much ricing is possible on 8.1? i just switched over from xubuntu cause video games but i really hate the look of the desktop, i know theres a shell that adds start menu but i dont really care about that, i more want a way to make the taskbar a solid color instead of glass and possibly to change icons etc. the default windows personalization doesnt have anything like that (as far as i can tell so far). i was thinking of bblean but it seems outdated atm. any ideas?

dadanon here

i just used mint to see how well it worked because i already had it on my comp. ubuntu mate might be a better choice. like i said, he doesn't need anything crazy.

itunes/mediamonkey alternative?

iTunes is good for music, no reason to use any alternative

I want to be able to drag files, hover over a folder and have the folder open. In Win7. Is there any way to do that?

foobar2000

8.1 is shit. Install 7 or 10

Foobar 2000

Kill yourself.

cant, preinstalled on the computer im using, not buying new OS and not fucking with pirating OSs.

Just pirate it you pussy.

Install iso
patch with daz loader

Foobat 2000 is fucking terrible

What makes it so terrible then ?

what kali can do?

It's not made by Apple. If it were made by Apple maybe it wouldn't look so god damn terrible.

Kill yourself.

So are those places still safe? I've had some problems with 1337 and extra in the past few days

>Private tracker users dont actually use the tracker
>Ratio: 2.549 UL: 7.91 TiB DL: 3.10 TiB
huh

is the Newegg accidental plan worth the 15 bucks for my motherboard or should i just get the manufacture defect 2yr for $12? it's only a few bucks extra in case i fuck something up.

mainly asking because i just had to do an RMA for a mobo for the first time and it was extremely unpleasant, and really annoying to deal with. It was Asrock and the new mobo is MSI, don't know if that changes a lot, but yeah.

spend the extra bux?

Need a windows 7 installation disc or bootable flasg drive for my new pc but I can't find an old disc anywhere, and I don't have the means to pirate a copy since my only computer is the new pc in question.

Any ideas? I would love to avoid paying Micro$oft for 10 year old software

After you.

Warranties are a scam.

Kill yourself.

is there a Sup Forums recommended headsets and mics list? Need a new mic mine is shit

What is the best version of win7?

Vista

Just buy some from Bestbuy, the employees there know best

UK fag here.. no decent electronics shops here.. and I refuse to listen to a 16 year old kid who works at GAME tell me about how great their turtlebeach is

>Supertorrents
>Ratios: 300
>Torrentleech
>Ratio: 700
>Oink:
>Ratio: 200
I had multiple seedbox's too.

There is NOTHING on a private tracker that is not available on opennet.
Using a private tracker past 2006', is snowflake placebo only

>/hpg/

Just go to the installgentoowiki

Turtlebeaches are actually pretty good quality, better than beats I'd say, which is a huge statement considering how good beats are

>oink

rip 10.23.07

The mic quality sucks though. At least in the sub £100 models

>rip 10.23.07
Did you really just post your IP on Sup Forums? Wow lol fucking retard

Kill yourself.

>implying i'd trust the opinion of someone who doesn't use Foobar

this

Wow nice samefaggotry

Kill yourself.

so what are some good surveillance programs for web cams in linux? just for home use

>There is NOTHING on a private tracker that is not available on opennet.
Quality control and speed.

I've learned basic commands on the terminal, but I'm wondering what's the next step. I got a job within in an IT company but not doing IT and I'd like to start learning not just what would help me eventually move to IT, but the cool things people learn in CS. Some direction would be appreciated on books or guides to start with.

I have a PC and a Mac, I'd like to learn for both of them, either or.

[citation needed]

Does partitioning around bad sectors on a drive stop it from getting worse? On someone's site they said that it's not advisable to keep important data on such a drive even after this procedure, but I don't know if they are just being overly cautious. I'm trying to save money. It's only two bad sectors.

Haha this looks like me lol!

>download encode of a movie on private tracker
>40 MB/s download speed
>looks identical to bluray source

>download YIFY off some public tracker
>download at 56k speeds
>looks like a VHS tape

So you're just retarded and cant read .nfo.
Cool

Im getting a 1070 and someone told me that nvidia cards have to tick something on the nvidia software to "unlock" something related to colors as soon as possible. GTX cards would be a "little off" on the colors while amd starts unlocked.

Does anybody know what it is exactly?

>yify
>looks like a vhs tape

there is literally nothing wrong with vhs tape quality user

Okay this may real retarded. But.

Is there any sort of convertor that converts DVD to USB. I have a Dvd player in the car and i have heaps of movies on an external drive. I dont want to burn a whole lot of movies onto CD's. But if thats the only way. Guess i'll have to do that

I'm running pfsense as my router/firewall
At some point I set up my desktop's static IP to resolve to a domain name, and for the life of me I can't find where I would do that for other static IP's I've set

Is there a name for programs that launch other programs? Like what opens in Puppy Linux on boot? I want to write a little script that acts like a launcher for fun.

Also, would writing that in bash as my first real programming language (not html/css/js) turn out to be hell? I want it to be TUI.

Where is openbox in Fedora 24
Installed fresh but it doesn't apear in the gdm.

Where do you want to play them

Everywhere I go it's just strangers rushing past, rushing around.

sam,e

/etc/hosts

> clean install 10 bc 6 yr old PC was really slow using 7
>everything is great so far
>play 30min of CS Source
>laptop overheats and shuts off

My PC can definitely handle the game, but this overheating problem was one of the reasons I cleaned installed.
What can I do?
Would buying an SSD help? How about physically opening the laptop and clearing the dust?
(both which I've never done before)

I figured out it's the hostname of the computer and the domain name I set
As in:
kek.example.com would be a computer with a static IP and a hostname kek

>Fedora
>stable

software for simulating electronic circuits so I don't need to buy shit I don't need?

Bump

How come an iso file for an os will work on pretty much any pc, but Android Roms have to be specifically created and tuned for each device?

The ssd will improve load times, but not game performance.
Cleaning out dust might be a solution, but i haven't really heard of any cases where a laptop needed to be cleaned of dust.

I know its not stable. I just want openbox back on it again.

like a dvd player - put in a dvd shaped thing that has like a USB attachment.