What does Sup Forums think of minicomputers?

What does Sup Forums think of minicomputers?

My apt is hot and doesn't have air conditioning. I'm thinking of switching to one of these to keep the place chill.

Other urls found in this thread:

fanlesstech.com/2016/07/exclusive-kaby-lake-apollo-lake-nuc.html
amazon.com/gp/product/B019Z8T9J0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
fireinfo.ipfire.org/profile/d1b650bbe6df021b6d1a0cd6bdfda6147f87046b
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i'd be surprised if a minicomputer generated less heat than a modern microcomputer

I have a laptop hooked up to my main display and Kb/M for general browsing to reduce heat output and it helps, but it depends on what the alternative is. In my case it's a thirsty tower that spews 100-400w into my room. Modern desktops with good idle states will be probably under 50w most of the time, at which point the heat difference between it and a minicomputer is not worth the trouble of owning the mini.

Also most phones allow video output and are excellent low power video players.

I would just get a laptop unless you need to run a lightweight server. That being said, I put one in my MAME cabinet back home and it's more than sufficient for my purposes.

How much power do you need?
RPI would be an option if heat is all you care for.
Recently moved my Intel NUC into a passive cooled case and the case gets ~45° C warm after running prime95 for 20 minutes.

Those are pretty cool. If you want to get more bang for your buck, you can build a low power ITX system for yourself. That's what I did.

Minicomputers are good to warm your room.
And to take literal seconds to calculate complex mathematical equations.

you don't need to make a smaller computer to make a cooler computer
just use lower end/lower TDP parts

True.

But small computers often have lower heat parts because they need to.

I have a small laptop and an old asus netbook and a $150 chromebook.

The chromebook is unbelievably cool, unlike the other two which have places that are warm or even hot to the touch even when they've been sleeping for hours.

How do you use GLU to get world coordinates from screen coordinates in android openGLES 2.0?

I have a hp mini netbook lying around and I want to put it to use. What OS are you running on your netbook?

they're alright but 12 bits just doesn't cut it anymore

Mini computers have been obsolete for decades user how are you even communicating with us on the modern internet?

NUCs are pretty overpriced now that mini STX exists. I really liked my NUC but the next one I get will definitely by a mini STX.

You're all a bunch of fucking faggots. Answer the goddamn question.

What do you think of mini desktop computers?

I agree, but there's nothing stopping you from moving up to the PDP-10.

>tfw when i was offered a PDP-11 and a crapload of VAX stations for free but had to turn it down because i had no room for it.

You've literally ensured that no one is going to give you a worthwhile response. Pic related.

>implying I'm OP?

It doesn't matter. Judging from the responses already in this thread, it doesn't seem like Sup Forums knows jack shit about them, anyway.

They look cool and are portable but thats about it

fanlesstech.com/2016/07/exclusive-kaby-lake-apollo-lake-nuc.html

Waiting for Intel to release these with HEVC hardware decoding & VP9 hardware decoding

keep insulting people, that is a good way to make friends.

Just get a RasPi 3/CHIP and get a good case. It's all you need, and it's much smaller than that monstrosity.

>I have literally never used a rPI

Got a brix, makes for a decent HTPC, but i'm thinking of going for an ITX APU system some time next year.

I can weigh in a little. I own both the i3 NUC and the Pentium NUC, and both run a fair bit lower than the average desktop.

If you are looking for portability, look nowhere else. The NUC is best for that. I've been using NUC and NUC variants for around about 3-4 years now, and they haven't let me down.

The first one I owned was a Zotac EN760, and boy does it run hot. The others, the i3 and Pentium NUC, run really well.

Please, don't go for the Brix. The EFI is garbage. I've also owned one of the Brix, and it is the worst purchase I have ever made. Amazon reviews confirm this too. Pony up a little more and get a solid option. Unless, that is, the Brix can offer something that the NUCs can't.

They're great if used for the correct purpose. The Intel ones are far overpriced for what you get.
I have pic related for just shy of 200 muribucks and it does a fantastic job.

>VGA

Why would that matter on a headless server?

What brand and model is this? I'm looking for a HTPC that is actually worth a shit and not really expensive.

OP don't fall for the mini stick PC meme. I bought an Azulle Quantum and it failed within three hours of use.

>You're all a bunch of fucking faggots. Answer the goddamn question.
fuck off Sup Forums please or can you use trip so I can filter you?

RasPi3 already has massive limitations, but CHIP? God damn you people are retarded.

From what I can tell, it's no longer sold in that form. Mine has a quad core running at 1.5 in it. The new one is a dual core.
Don't know how well it would do with 10-bit 1080.
This is the new version
amazon.com/gp/product/B019Z8T9J0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry, mine has a quad core running at 2Ghz. Specs below.
fireinfo.ipfire.org/profile/d1b650bbe6df021b6d1a0cd6bdfda6147f87046b

those are even worse desu
at least real minis have mass storage options that don't suck shit from an ass

Yes

They're stupid. Go buy an AC unit to stick in your window.

In theory they're pretty great, but if they can't dissipate heat then it's an expensive paperweight

This. Who thinks "I need to buy a computer that doesn't give off much heat so my room is cooler", instead of "I need to buy an AC unit"

you. are. dumb.

I have one at work. I use it for running MYOB, the EFTPOS machine and the cash registry.
Oh yea and shitposting all day.