2nd year of uni

>2nd year of uni

What is going to be the most lucrative field of computing in the next 5 years?

Nobody knows, but it sure seems like it's going to be machine learning.

Information Systems

Something with big data, data mining and this dystopian shit. Next to it maybe small devices for the crappy IoT. So perhaps also more IPv6 so you don't have to NAT until you turn into a duck.

Memes and loli dedicated technology tbqh lit

None, expect to be unemployed.

If you can't get a job in computing in the next 5 years, then that means everyone is absolutely fucked.

Doesn't matter either way then.

Quantum computers. Lots of research and a lot of money involved.

t. I'm doing my PhD. on it

It's just my nose smelling a second tech bubble.

machine learning is already a literal meme in universities.

universities = meme, expecially tech ones.

Quantum computing

Close but no cigar. It's in a way related to tech, but it's not directly tech bubble.

2017 - year of the startup bubble.

You heard it here first. If you have shares in a startup, no matter what field, cash in as long as you can.

Not 5 years but more like 10 years, quantum computing.

For 5 years, machine learning

Where are you?

bs unethical scaremongerer with no skin in game

Bioinformatics

Here, user.

what are you doing for phd

i study quantum simulators. It's a physics PhD., not a CS one. Basically, you can simulate qubits using ions in laser traps and implement general quantum algorithms for ~5 qubits or so.

If I wanted to get started on Quantum Computing for Computer Scientists what is the best place to start?

Or is it still too early?

Game developer. Trust me on this. Almost all VR content is being developed on Games engines like UE4 and unity. As the demand grows for VR devices, people will need shit to see/play. Go for it. Atleast till the bubble anyways

Depends on what are you interested in. If you would like to know the inner workings, I'd say you first need a basic course on Quantum Mechanics, and for that you need to know Classical Mechanics (Lagrange and Hamilton's). If you are only interested in algorithms, I wouldn't know. Sorry. I'd think that in order to create new algorithms you have to know at least some Quantum Mechanics.

I can't go back to school. :/ Is there a book or MOOC you can recommend for basic course in QM?

bro, that's the far future
this is near future

Yeah, for a very very basic course check Introduction to QM by Griffiths and Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles by Eisberg. For a more advanced one, QM by Sakurai and QM by Ballentine. If you want something more maths-oriented, Quantum Theory for Mathematicians by Hall is pretty good and doesn't require a lot of maths, just some measure theory and functional calculus. All books can be found on libgen.

sweet thanks user!

neural networks

For algorithms/programming/logic gate stuff only, I'd suggest you refresh your knowledge of linear algebra, and then buy Nielsen & Chuang's book. It is the bible of the field and assumes no previous knowledge. Quantum mechanics is really easy if you take the physics out of it.

On the other hand, if you want to actually understand how quantum computers are implemented lower down than at the abstract gate level, you need a full physics education, simple as that.

It's just like how you'd need to be a physics major to understand how a modern transistor works, except quantum computers are still firmly in the "develop fundamental implementation" phase so most of the research posts are indeed about the implementation/hardware.

5 years is like 7 new overhyped technologies/programming languages.

IT jumps around on the hype train for certificates in the latest greatest.

(Cont.)
My advice would thus be: get Nielsen/Chuang first to get a direct introduction to the subject, and look at quantum mechanics on the side as you go along.

While pure quantum algorithms research is dying down, there are a few places where CS majors could make useful contributions. One such area would be programming languages research.

Procedural programming becomes a lot less applicable for quantum computing, so most literature on the subject is not in iterative pseudocode, it is given as literal logic gate circuits.

Functional languages translate a lot better to quantum computing though, and a lot of common structures are monads. If you are a Haskell/Agda/Idris nut, I think applying applying category theory to express quantum algorithms is a fruitful area of research. This clearly isn't something that will land anyone a job, but for say CS grad students it can be a fun subject for some papers and advancing your academic career by doing cross-disciplinary stuff.

IT security will always get you a good job.

Also, the book recommendations by the other user above are great for QM texts. I haven't used either of the more introductory texts, but I had a great experience with Sakurai.

>skull.jpg

Data science.

web development

out-memeing flat design

Computing the amount of Indians you need to hire to install Windian 10 on your personal/company PCs.

>now - 10 years
Machine Learning, IoT, VR
>11 - 20 years
Cryptocurrency, AR
>20 - 30 years
Rockets/Space in general, Quantum Computing
>30 - 40 years
Medical tech probably, 3D printed organs, designer babies, etc.