Godot Engine

Mozilla donated $20,000+ to this open source game engine:

godotengine.org/

github.com/godotengine/godot

How is this any better than Unity and UE4?

Ask Sup Forums, this board is for technology

good, the money is spent on actual development instead of making another firefox hello.

>How is this any better than Unity and UE4?
its FOSS

It isn't. Their audio system stinks with huge delays and other minor quirks.

>its FOSS

FOSS is something the gamedev community has ignored for decades.

>something the gamedev community has ignored for decades

yeah i agree.
But they dont ignore the fact its free compared to unity being expensive if you want to export to a lot of platforms

Works better here than there.

Yes.

Game talk belongs to Sup Forums.

Game engine talk is welcome in Sup Forums.

doing any serious programming in python is a pita

No it hasn't, UE4 and Unity licensing is fucking awful for small studies.

Why do you think libGDX is so widely used and popular?

Why the fuck is Mozilla messing around with games? Aren't they supposed to work on their failing browser?

Why has Mozilla gone so wrong and SJW the past years?

Chrome's rapid rise is due to android phones.

How can they compete? It's literally impossible to have more advertisement than Chrome.

still a big WIP huh ?
I'll check it out but it's a bit too late for me to switch now
might try what it can handle though heh

>Why has Mozilla gone so wrong and SJW the past years?
Too much money in their organization. Money corrupts.

I think it has more to do with its ad on google.com and because it was and still is installed automatically with other software installers on Windows.

It's not Python but a very Python-like language with GC and concurrency optimized for soft real-time (gaming) requirements.

The thing is that WebGL rendering is faster in firefox than in any other browser (I think is one of the few things firefox does better than chrome at this point).

So it's smart from mozilla to invest in a free as in freedom easy to use game engine that exports to HTML5

WebGL/HTML5/Meme gaming is a pipe dream, even Jagex couldn't get that shit to work.

I think Jagex' new RS runs really well and has some pretty good graphics for a browser game.
You wanna run games with a filesize of multiple gigabytes in a browser?

It will flop then.

Their new RS client isn't WebGL/HTML5/Meme, they completely abandoned it citing it was slower than their Java Applet despite it being much more heavily optimised and using much more modern design patterns.

Yes, that's exactly why we need good developers working on good WebGL. Thus Mozilla donated to godot.

So they wrote their own?

What? their new client is written in C++.

Kek, Oldschool runescape had a software renderer.

So it's no longer browser based? Couldn't they just have made a java applet that used opengl instead of webgl/going c++.

So you're going to use an inferior, buggy, "free" clone of Unity, when you could just use free Unity and deal with the splash screen.

>java applet

Java Applets are the worst. Mainly because they require Java.