bento.io/
programming-motherfucker.com/
github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
theodinproject.com/
freecodecamp.com/
w3schools.com/
developer.mozilla.org/
codewars.com/
youtu.be/JxAXlJEmNMg?list=PL7664379246A246CB - "Crockford on JavaScript" lecture series.

>Useful Youtube channels
derekbanas
thenewboston
learncodeacademy
funfunfunction
computerphile
codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
gist.github.com/dypsilon/5819528/

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
youtu.be/sBzRwzY7G-k - "2016/2017 MUST-KNOW WEB DEVELOPMENT TECH - Watch this if you want to be a web developer "
youtu.be/zf_cb_Nw5zY - "JavaScript is Easy" - If you can't into programming, you probably won't find a simpler introduction to JavaScript than this.

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/geofkknhdniphaaggagchgfmfnopofgk/publish-accepted?hl=en-US&gl=GB
udemy.com/csharp-advanced/
formvalidation.io/download/
medium.freecodecamp.com/angular-2-versus-react-there-will-be-blood-66595faafd51
developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fundev.tv/timer
How's my timer?

The actual timer is supposed to be styled like that.

I landed an internship at as a full-stack developer for a company that does ground-up site development on a contract basis.

We do most of our sites in ASP.NET MVC with Angular, though we have one or two clients that we built using Kentico.

Pay is $15/hr, supposedly increasing to $18/hr, then $40,000-55,000 starting salary if I make the cut.

I'm a month in and they seem pretty pressed with my skills and technical acumen so far.

Any tips from more senior devs?

I'm logging parameter names and values that don't show up in my white list to a .txt file.
The file is not executable, so there are no security issues with this, or are there?

fuck, my domain name is expiring and renewal costs $25. fuck it, I'll just let it die, I'm too poor for this shit.

fuckin lol. where are you at? i hope you're in ukraine or some shit because that is peasant wages. my frist junior dev job in the middle of no where flyover usa was 60k, and it went to 80k in 6 months

>$15/hr
lmao that's burgerflipping tier

My starting salary at the moment is 2k/month gross, and I'm perfectly capable of paying my bills, buying groceries, and saving some on the side.

My contract expires in 6 months and I'm expecting a renewal with a huge bump in salary and bonuses.

Is Angular MVC? How strict and opinionated it is?

FUCK WEBPACK AFTER 2 HOURS OF EBOOK READING MY APP JS BUNDLE IS STILL WAY LARGER THAN IT SHOULD BE

web developers are codemonkeys

...he's an intern.

They make that where I live in the US even though a junior dev gets 60k+

Hopefully he just uses that comoany for experience and goes elsewhere as soon as possible. I would be applying already if I were him.

No. Angular is for front-end stuff only. It's usually combined with something like Node for handling the back-end MVC stuff

Sexy voice m8

Thanks bb.

>ASP.NET MVC
>with Angular

Does anyone know what MVC even means anymore?

Could be worse, that's double minimum wage in some states.

Could be even worse; Like me, I can't find tech jobs and I refuse to flip burgers with a CS degree so I'm basically living off my parents right now waiting for my break.

So what's the point of npm if I don't use node?

Milligram framework installs with bower or npm but I don't use either.

i agree with the sentiment but the image is poorly done

having a package manager? you don't have to use it but its convenient

Purecss is getting really awesome.

ASP.NET MVC is official name for subset of ASP.NET framework.

Thanks autismo.

Tomorrow is my third day at the new gig. Custom web dev company. Working with PHP (Laravel, Symfony, Wordpress) and ASP .NET.

I'm 21 and it's paying $75k feels good

Any of you hear of devwars?

I think I'm going to sign up. We could make team Sup Forums or something.

I'm just reading about it, but seems you have a team of 3 vs team of 3. You have 1 hour to make a website to specifications together.

Good portfolio or CS degree?

>team Sup Forums

>PHP
>$75k

Your life sounds piss easy. I envy you.

It could be pretty memer.

Actually probably want a non-Sup Forums name so we can use the stuff on our portfolios.

I think competing in developer competitions would look pretty cool on a resume. It shows teamwork and shit.

Anyone down?

You just need buzzwords on your resume. The main obstacle to you getting a job is a non-technical recruiter who thinks that a computer is a magic box that makes Facebook appear at their desk. They're very unlikely to give a shit about developer competitions.

If you want to impress prospective employers, just throw some of your projects on github, or contribute to some open source shit.

I don't think my code is up to opensource standard.

I made that timer under the OP. I still do conditionals like if { } else { }.

How else would you do it?

Conditionals are like 66% of all programming.

If your code works its up to open source standards. The decision to include your code resides with the individual that maintains the project.

in my last semester of uni, i'm going through self learning angular basically. any ideas for good tutorials or applications of angular i can look at for a good idea on how to further my knowledge in it?

the professor does screencast videos but they really aren't so helpful, he just gives us completed examples he has done and then explains them in the video.. watching it though i haven't really gotten an idea on how i can use angular though so far

stick to a boilerplate user

? and :

What's the best language to implement a simple chat in? I considered Python, but i'd like your thoughts on it.

Write a nested ternary operator that is readable and I'll eat my own fedora.

anything with a websocket library.

Normal if is usually more readable and suitable than ternary operator. Ternary is usually for conditional variable assignment.

I dont really get how git works.

If two people branch main working on two different things, who gets to commit?

Be Honest, Am I barking up the wrong tree in learning webdev?

Alight, so here's my plan. At the end of this year, I'll be finishing uni. I'm planning to go teach English in China at the end of this year because I've desperately wanted to travel for as long as I can remember.

My plan is to teach myself webdev (rails/django, js, etc) (I already have a good grasp on ruby and python) throughout this year, and then do freelance work to supplement my income in China. And then, eventually, probably after another year in China, break the chain completely and become a digital nomad. Travelling, living in cheap places, and doing web dev on the side.

Please tell me, is Web Dev right for me, or should I look into doing something else such as copyrighting? I'd really like to know. Would love to hear from anyone who's doing something similar.

Just made & published a new tab page to the Chrome web store. Mostly just cause I wanted to make a thing.
If you guys want to check it out and give me feedback I'd appreciate that.
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/geofkknhdniphaaggagchgfmfnopofgk/publish-accepted?hl=en-US&gl=GB

Do you know Chinese? I always hear about this English teaching thing but no one mentions if they know the language or not.

No, and as far as I know, you don't need to

If you're gonna do all of that then don't limit yourself to web. Branch out a little more.

I..might do this in Korea.

learning django for shit and giggles

Planning on learning TypeScript + Angular 2 later. Maybe throw a Flask + ng2 site down the line

But what we really want to know is, what will you have for lunch tomorrow?

French Dip from Schlotzsky's.

Ever consider rails. I was a flask dev who moved to rails it's pretty cool framework.

was railin your mom with my flask last night

I'll design the team logo

Been stuck in 6% for a week now. I'll never be a C# pro.

udemy.com/csharp-advanced/

Hopefully, there's someone actually checking out that shit and checking for merge conflicts before merging either of those branches into the master branch. If not, shit happens, stuff gets fucked, and there's a shouting match involved.

>I don't really get how git works.
Neither does the average person. Hell, I just have a small script for pushing up to GitHub just so I don't have to be assed to do everything twice in a row.

Alright Sup Forums, am I correctly protecting myself against SQL injection?

> pic related

Yesterday I compiled a supposedly "cross platform" v8 pinvoke library (vroomjs) for Linux... After commenting out the Windows specific code and adding certain keywords that GNU requires which clearly the Visual compiler does not, it finally compiled.

Reminder, if you're not using Linux to develop, don't you dare pretend you're capable of anything cross platform. Us genuine cross platformers are burned by Linux and chilled by a constantly freezing Windows. We are forged.

And you come around with some library you've clearly only ever developed/compiled in windows and call yourself cross platform? This cunt was even using the Windows api for fucks sake. Paul you are a faggot.

And yeah I'll upload the .so file when I've fully tested it. Ideally, then reactjs.net will work by installing v8 (it's in the ubuntu repository) and then dropping the libvroomjs.so file into your usr/lib folder. Server side rendering with mono is coming.

yes but are you seriously making a connection to mysql for each query you run???

This seems like the best place so I thought I'd ask,
I have this project I'm working on in which I'd try to create an application wrapper for my uni's website, but the website itself isn't mobile friendly or dynamic in any way. How would I go about doing this?

you dont

>programming in a language other than English
>expecting English speakers to understand enough to help
If you sanitize inputs by stripping all non alphanumeric characters with regex, you'll be fine no matter what antiquated technology (lolphp) you're using.

Stick with me and I'll make you great. Whenever you see someone webdeving with mono and their own truly cross platform libraries, you know it's me.

Obviously I'm not a php dev, can you keep the connection static in php so you only have to open the connection once? I could imagine renewing that connection with every request would be extremely slow.

If you want something that truly works with mobile, you'll have to redesign the site. For instance, side menus have to go and be replaced by hamburgers. The track on each side of the content needs to be manipulated so it shrinks with mobile.

>application wrapper
Sorry, what? Could you get away with scrapping the site and just rerepresenting the data?

Does anyone have a copy of this? formvalidation.io/download/

I can't seem to find it anywhere for free. Before you ask, yes I know there are other from validators out there but this one has all the features I need.

Fucking retard, Angular is MVC

why not lad?

Hello Sup Forums i just learned html, css and wondering if i should start learning javascript or css preprocessors also if js if egular js or straight js lib. Any idea what to do next?

Learning Angular 2. Components - View / Routes - Controller / Services - Model?

1. WebDev nomad is totally possible.

2. Don't limit yourself with Ruby and Python, there's much more PHP code floating arround.

3. My piece of advice: Don't freelance before you have at least 3 years of employment. There's a lot of stuff to learn, best practices, how to work with customers and so on. If you start from the scratch you will make a lot of mistakes. Furthermore you want some savings before going lone wolf. You don't start WebDev and magically get money on day one, first you have to put some effort in this shit (not only technically wise, but also about getting customers) and if things work out well - you will get payed. Often you'll find there's a lot of problems about what people expect you to do and what you expect to do.. i.e. how many times do you "adjust" their website? There are people out there who let you chnage their site work for half a year unless you stop them. So get some employment, git gud and THEN go freelancer.

No, Angular is "Model View ViewModel" (MVVM).

start with php, lad. JavaScript is a huge clusterfuck that you should learn lastly

The answer of is bait, avoid PHP at all costs. You'll need Javascript for the frontend, it's the next logical step. Learn the basics of Javascript and then move to a framework / ecosystem, I recommend React

This guy here.

Didn't work. Still getting the run time error that it can't find react.environment. For some crazy reason, I think it might work if I recompile, but I doubt it. I'm also thinking that the geniuses behind these projects (there's at least 4 different projects I probably need to read the source of) decided they needed to specifically use a specific version of the v8 library... Which doesn't exist for Linux.

Again, if you're bragging about cross platform, holy fuck actually test cross platform, especially Linux. In web dev, Linux is much more important than OSX and I don't care how any dicks you suck to think otherwise.

Why PHP? I've only just realised that there are things PHP can do that other languages can't, but if you just need a backend language it's literally a free choice. Pick whatever, including JavaScript.

>bad advice is bait
Or... He could be justifying his baby duck syndrome.

>react
I could argue that this is bait.

Are tablets relevant?
We just noticed that our design looks terrible on a tablet unless flipped to widescreen and fixing it would waste another workday

Does anyone know if employers take FreeCodeCamp seriously? I'm currently working through the Front end dev section and was hoping it would supplement my degree and make me stand out from other computing students.

>avoid PHP at all costs
No.
Stop being a hipster.

Which PHP framework do you use /wdg/?

Slim, Laravel

So im learning php and i want to know something, is this correct way of using classes

class:

and in index

yes, that is the correct way
but use require_once instead

Remove the trailing ?>. You don't need it and it will prevent accidental output.

Also, try to use autoloading.

>Also, try to use autoloading.
this is very nice, thanks user

that's double minimum wage, so not, it's not

Phalcon, Slim, Laravel, Symfony

Does SMACSS make sense if you use a CSS framework like bootstrap or purecss?
Because I have a lot of framework related selectors, e.g. for layouts, so a layout file doesn't make much sense to me.

If you had to pick laravel or symfony, which one would you choose?

It depends on you and your project, I think.

To be honest, I never chose any of those two. I've only worked on projects with those already implemented.

Are you working on something big? What does your project need?
Or do you want to learn? Is it a hobby or is it to find a job?

Or do you want to learn? Is it a hobby or is it to find a job?
I worked as freelancer but i made everything from scratch always.
Now i want to get job in some firm but there i always need frameworks and as much i can see most popular is laravel.

Has anybody here used SailsJS? It seems like a decent Node framework.

Should i be learning Laravel 5 as my first framework if i want to have a job and make a profit?

how does this happen? why are we required to put years of time towards a STEM degree and not be guaranteed a job fresh out of school? I thought the point of working toward a STEM degree meant we didn't have to suck dick for a job like everyone else.

Learn both, really. They're not that complicated and you don't need to know everything about them before jumping on a project. You usually learn as you practice.

Make a couple different projects for each to know what they're about, what their subtilities are; projects that are challenging enough for you to read the documentation (even if they're clone of something already made), and I think you're good to go.

In my area, no job required to have years experience in either framework. I think it would be a bad idea in web dev to stick to a particular technology.

In your resume, state clearly somewhere you are a fast learner and can adapt quickly. It's the best quality to have when joining an ongoing project.

I did not use it, but my friend had a project on it, I gave it a look and it seems pretty good, yep.

I would suggest to first look at job opportunities in your area.

A couple years ago, I listed all job opportunities in my area and for PHP dev, Laravel came first (Symfony close second just by one off, if I remember). So Laravel seems to be very popular, yeah, but you never know what your local companies are using. Maybe you're better off learning something entirely different. Check it out.

so I ve been learning js for the past few months and want to go learn a framework now.
Is react really faster than angular? also what is the difference between angular 1 and 2? should I just go at angular 2?

medium.freecodecamp.com/angular-2-versus-react-there-will-be-blood-66595faafd51

Anyone know of a small simple excel like grid system that supports websockets? I've used jqwidgets on past projects but I want to keep this project small and bloat free; jqxgrid loads like 12 dependencies for full functionality.

What do you guys think of progressive web apps? It seems like the next logical evolution of apps.

developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/

tl;dr: install an app directly from the browser (it's more like a homescreen shortcut though) that runs like a native app and also works offline.

Whatever you decide, don't even bother with angular 1.

Honestly, it's all a scam. People always told me "as soon as you get a degree you'll get tons of job offers", fuck that noise. Some people put ,more weight on work experience than the actual fucking degree.

If I had to do it all over again I'd skip college, get a few certifications, and start building a healthy work experience portfolio. The rate at which technology changes means your degree, technically, should be basically of little relevance after ~5-10 years since a lot of the content will be outdated. That's why for CompTIA certs for example, you have to renew them every 2 (or 3, I don't remember) years.

New guy here,

I am interested in a career in Web Dev/ Software Dev etc.

Are there any reputable Bootcamps that aren't just a waste of time and money? I've been interested in a place called Dev Mountain, but don't want to go all the way out to fuckin' Utah to waste 10 grand. It's a pretty intensive course, basically a full time job.

How easily can you land a junior dev job with only a few months experience?

Note: I am totally new to even HTML/CSS, just now learning the syntax on my own. Any advice or feedback is helpful.

I like to rice my work environment here and there, sometimes with cute little anime girls in the background, how do employers view this? does this trigger a flag?

in Serbia you have for free

But you need to sign contract and if you dont come at every class you need to pay them, or if you leave,

whats the appeal of bootcamps? What do they offer that you can't already find on the internet or books?