/sqt/ - Stupid Question Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

tenforums.com/tutorials/4675-drives-navigation-pane-add-remove-windows-10-a.html
tenforums.com/tutorials/6015-pc-folders-add-remove-windows-10-a.html
amazon.com/Intel-S3500-Series-80GB-SSD/dp/B00DFB52A4?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00DFB52A4
news.softpedia.com/news/linus-torvalds-announces-linux-kernel-4-8-rc4-with-skylake-power-management-fix-507693.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also occurs to me now that C:, E:, and F: are my internal drives, while the rest are connected through a variety of external enclosures (both multi-drive and stand-alone sorts) so maybe it just doesn't show internally connected drives in the sidebar? But that's still inconvenient and I want to change it.

Is tempered glass worth? In any possible approach

Reposting ITT
---
Is there a way to filter dust out of my air? Like a giant dust magnet that attracted it all and kept it in one bin where I could then throw it away?

>tfw you have an old 2500k, zalman heatsink and compatible atx mobo just assembled in your closet ready to be used.
What do I do with them?

Well yeah you can install an air filter, but it's not really going to clean the room for dust effectively. Reducing dust at the source is far better. Also, if you think removing dust is a pain in the ass (like me), invest in some statick dust mops or whatever you wanna call it, makes life a hell of a lot easier.

HEPA air filter

I need to replace a old wd green drive and was wondering are Seagates sshd drives any good or should I just get a wd black drive instead?

>made a yahoo mail account ~10 years ago and a gmail account ~8 years ago
>recovery emails were each other
>since forgotten passwords to both
>neither service has any tech support
Is there a way I can """hack""" back into one of my accounts? The password recovery process for both sites relies 100% on you having access to that secondary email. Am I just fucked?

You're a retard and you have no way back into either

>SSHD
avoid like the plague. A SSD + HDD is better.

I'm a retard because I forgot a password I made when I was 13? I actually know the yahoo password but it locked me out since I haven't logged in recently and requires a code from my other account

SSHDs are the best and worst of both worlds.

It's better to just get both an SSD and HDD because then you just get the best of both.

If you're super cash strapped and can't afford an extra $50 for a small SSD, then sure you can go with an SSHD.

Nope. There really isn't anything you can do.

Managed to find a workaround once I figured out what the problem was, not EXACTLY what I was trying to do but it serves the same purpose I guess.

Using tenforums.com/tutorials/4675-drives-navigation-pane-add-remove-windows-10-a.html and tenforums.com/tutorials/6015-pc-folders-add-remove-windows-10-a.html

Tor exit node

This. Only Option. Do it

Is 8gb memory on a video card overkill? I'll be gaymen and programming with a VM, if that's relevant.

if i get a constant maximum fps, does vsync cause input lag at all? i already have gsync enabled but l4d2 is still getting like 300fps

is the Newegg accidental plan worth the 15 bucks for my motherboard or should i just get the manufacture defect 2yr for $12? it's only a few bucks extra in case i fuck something up.

mainly asking because i just had to do an RMA for a mobo for the first time and it was extremely unpleasant, and really annoying to deal with. It was Asrock and the new mobo is MSI, don't know if that changes a lot, but yeah.

spend the extra bux?

Get a WD Blue and call it a day.
Also a 850 EVO.

Never buy sshds.

Do you have plans of using 4k textures?
If yes, no.
If no, then yes it is.

No, force vsync.

>Seagate
no
>SSHD
hell no

I bought a new enterprise grade Intel SSD off of somebody on OpenBazaar (SATA III, 80GB for around $55). The store is offline currently, but his handle is @ducttapeprodigy

I doubt returning it to Newegg would be any more pleasant.

8GB of memory is insanely overkill
You are better off getting 4GB with faster speeds than 8GB with slower speeds

>80GB for 55
You got scammed user.

depends if the card can play games using that much VRAM, at decent fps.

an RX 480 would've been fine with 5 or 6 GB but a GTX 1080 will definitely benefit from having 8 in the future.

Far Cry Primal with HD textures use like 5.3 GB on GDDR5x, as opposed to 3.5-4.3 with it off, but the fps loss is only around 5 with them on. in other words, 8 is definitely necessary to match its power.

Thats not how GPU VRAM works user.

can i "salvage" a windows10 from my old laptop and use it in a pc (dual boot)?

is it as simple as just using the windows key in the bottom of the laptop?

My front audio port makes everything sound distorted as soon as any sort of pressure is put on it (even as little as a wire pulling the plug down a bit).
To get it back I have to twist the cord around until I can hit a sweet spot where it sounds clear again.

I had this same problem with my last port until it broke totally so I ordered a new one and am using it right now.
Did I get a broken one or is something else going on?

This is the exact same model number on Amazon for $100+
amazon.com/Intel-S3500-Series-80GB-SSD/dp/B00DFB52A4?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00DFB52A4

depends on your settings and the game

e.g. if you turn on "raw input" in CS Go, you'll feel horrible input lag with vsync

No because OEM keys are bound to the motherboard.

Just crack windows10 with MSToolkit/KMSpico.

Maybe this is a simple question. How can I read only half the page of a landscape 2 pages PDF on an Android tablet? I have a 4:3 aspect ratio tablet and I can only see both pages in portrait mode

how does it not?

Assuming they are both 64-bit, you should be able to.

And you can get a 120GB 850 EVO for the same and has better performance.

That doesn't make your SSD bad, its good, just bot worth it.

>bot
But not*

>EVO
Is TRIM-gate still a problem or has that been fixed yet? Also, I use this drive in my laptop (SATA I), so speed doesn't really matter until I upgrade laptops

Don't go around spreading misinformation

is this something new in windows 10 that I don't know about? I haven't used windows since XP, so I don't know. The only hang up I can think of is drivers.

Is it hard to become a programmer???

no

If you're committed to it and can handle frustration and problem solving, nah.

My Seagate HDD died and I'm thinking of buying pic related. Is it a good choice? Do you recommend it?

He's talking about transferring the license, not the actual install.

I can do a Sapphire Radeon RX 470 4GB (not NITRO) VRAM. Should I squeeze those extra $30 for the nitro version?
Is this a good card?
How does it stand next to the 970?

I don't understand why the benchmark sites shit on the 470 compared to the 970.

Is there any video player for android that lets me play videos in the background without pausing them?

Yes.
Get a wd blue if you want, both are fine.

desu a 460 will be more suitable for my budget..

Mxplayer.

Rx470 is weaker than gtx 970.

So the verdict is that a 970 is better but get a 470 because memeVidia ?

Does the same apply to the previous ones 960 vs 460 ?
Looking into sapphire rx 460 4GB nitro now.

I'd be weary of buying high capacity disks. Besides that, WD is good

I want to build a RAID of 2 3TB drives.
What is the problem with big drives?

>Rx470 is weaker than gtx 970.

470 is going to rape the 970 come DirexctX 12

I heard about higher failure rates with denser disks. As long as you backup the data you care about, I don't think it would be a problem.

Also, my first SSD was a Kingston 120GB. Failed within the first year of owning it. I don't want to repeat that and I don't have a use for more than 50GB anyways.

No, get a GTX 1060 or a RX 480.
Rx 460 is a low end card, don't expect good performance out it.

470 is low end too but on the just werks tier.

Or with vulkan, but barely any games use them, so, it doesn't right now.

what usually causes a car to die on startup ?
like it will go too low in rpms and stall.
that will only happen the 1st time you start it.
I didnt drive it in a month and it didt that the first 2 days i used it, then it didnt for a few days, i changed the fuel filter and it did it yesterday.

check the spark plugs

shit, i aint even on /o/

carry on

For something people tell others to dont buy PNY, chink or kingston SSDs.

installed all 8 at the start of this summer

Asking again

What USB mic could i get if i wanna use one for both recording and chatting for say less than 70 yurobucks ?

is it getting enough gas?

I did my research at the time and a lot of people were talking about how Kingston was the bang for the buck (Tek Syndicate).

One week after I bought it they released a video saying the drives are garbage after they switched some parts around and they no longer recommend it.

I will do a 470 NITRO.
Do those OEM overclocked cards worth the extra $$$ or should I get a regular 470?

Gentoo.
What is the point of adding, for example, "-aac" in your make.conf if certain builds wouldn't the aac USE flag without you specifying it anyway?

In other words, why do I need to add "-acc" if not putting it there does the same thing?

I know I must be misunderstanding, because that doesn't make much sense.

I want to buy a compact camera that is good for portraits.

But even the best compacts (sony rx100 or canon g1x/g7x) are average at best for portraits.

Do I have to go for dslr/mirrorless?

So you had the bad luck to get a sv300.
A good number of ssds back then had problems.

See any PNY, 740/840 EVO, etc.

This days any modern SSD is reliable, the only differences are speed.
Any ADATA, Sandisk, Intel, 850 evo,950/951, some crucial SSDs are good.

BM800 with proper power

Yes:
Scratches are on the glass, not on the phone.
When dropped, the extra layer will most likely shatter and absorb the shock.

Yes, but not for the OC but for the better cooling.

As well as package.use files.

Sup Forums is fucking shit.

Sup Forums is fucking shit.

8ch is fucking dead.

i don't know where to go. i am fucking bored.

tell me what to do. no suicide tips, btw

Sadpanda.

>I don't know where to go
outside
I'm only here because i'm sick and I can't workout

Yeah, a larger sensor in combination with a good lens might help. The typical focal length for portraits is 85mm on a full-frame camera or 50mm on crop.

that's good point !
thanx fammi.

Good luck redditing

That was only about a year ago. I still have doubts about the reliability of those drives. However, I am probably going to order a KingDian SSD for the hell of it
second

Need a simple program that lets me convert flac to mp3

picture unrelated

FFmpeg

Hi Sup Forums

It's been a while since I was actively searching for a laptop. I'm wanting to get a ZenBook UX305UA, which has a Skylake CPU, but one thing makes me pause - I remember hearing that there were issues with the Linux kernel on Skylake laptop processors, something about high temps/power consumption and lower processor lifetime. This was a few months ago though - have they been fixed?

reddit is also shit

Just get an ADATA SP550 for cheap or get a 850 EVO user.

Dont risk your data and money.

okay
probably. I'll sift through the LKML and changelogs and post what I find

At a certain point, young padawan, you must consider the possibility that it is, in fact, you who is shit.

Like, professional portraits?

This looks like it could be fixed with a proper CPU frequency governor (assuming this isn't graphics related)

I personally use this:
>conservative
>up_threshold:98
>down_threshold:95
This gives me about 45 extra minutes of battery time and keeps everything cooler and responsiveness is good. This is proven to be more efficient than the powersaving governor because of overhead caused by other devices

I found news.softpedia.com/news/linus-torvalds-announces-linux-kernel-4-8-rc4-with-skylake-power-management-fix-507693.shtml

The fix is in the works currently, but you would have to custom compile your kernel (not hard). I'd give it another month before it enters the mainstream

Got this download from the official site

Is this just Windows being Windows, or is something wrong?

probably windows being windows. It assumes any program that hasn't been signed by Microsoft is possibly harmful (which, technically, is true). However, FFmpeg isn't a virus.

It's only unrecognized. Besides, FFmpeg is very much trusted in Linux, so I'm assuming the same for the Windows version. Besides, you can also read the source at the bottom of the webpage you're on.

Awesome, thanks. It looks like I can go ahead and pick up the laptop, and get the 4.8 kernel running ASAP. My plan is to install Ubuntu and manually kick the kernel up to 4.8 once it becomes available.

My CPU is over heating and I don't know what to do to cool it

Ubuntu or xubuntu which is better?

How do I install Windows 10 on my Mac?

put mayo all over it

savage

If you are on linux, look at of course, check thermal paste, clean dust out, get a better cooler if you can, etc.
the RC builds are pretty stable, actually. You can download it and run it right now if you had it
Neither. Ubuntu Server + i3 is best

Underclock