Can we talk about Microsoft's distorting influence on this board?

I used to think that all the MS shills here must just be MS employees (they have 114,000!) But now, I start to worry that there are actually people here who don't see that they're essentially doing the marketing work of a major corporation for free.

Let's get some things clear: Practically every x86 PC sold has it's cost inflated by Microsoft for the use of their operating system. You are paying Microsoft one way or another.

If you're in the US, your government is paying Microsoft instead of using equivalent free and standards-compliant software. Essentially, that's more money out of your pocket.

Even every Android phone you buy, money is being paid to Microsoft (because they are a huge patent troll). In some cases this money is greater than the profit margin the manufacturer makes on the hardware! No one should consider them a friend.

Microsoft's modus operandi is embrace, extend, and destroy. Essentially, the argument GPL opponents try to use about it's 'infectious' nature is true about Microsoft's software efforts, and there's actually harm to the end user involved because Microsoft's software is proprietary and has to be paid for.

There is a veritable army of volunteers out there making a great free OS family, in many cases, just because they feel it's their contribution to society. Linux is like Wikipedia, and Microsoft Windows needs to go the way of the Encyclopædia Britannica.

Other urls found in this thread:

rbt.asia/g/thread/S52611239
myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2012/11/12/ernie-ball-inc-still-rockin-11-years-without-microsoft/
wiki.fsfe.org/Migrated/EU Policies overview: Free Software and Open Standards#Germany
linuxinsider.com/story/50238.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kylin_(operating_system)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes they are indeed the devil

>Linux is like wikipedia
maintained by pedos?

...i've been pirating their software for over 10 years. They haven't gotten a cent from me, aside from my android phone, if what you say is true.

>he thinks MS wants to seriously stop pirates
Protip: even non-paying users are worth more than users of other operating systems

Seems they'd both be equally worthless since they're not paying for the product ya dingus

- They might pay in the future
- They recommend the software to people who will pay

Stop shilling Linux 24/7

People like you are cancer to this board.

This is what I mean. Seriously? Does Microsoft pay you?

How much is Red Hat paying you?

>hey everyone, just use an OS that needs paid support!

Nothing, but even if they did, their OS is free.

I LOVE WINDOWS 10 AND I FUCKING LOVE USING MICROSOFT APPS EVEN ON MY ANDROID PHONE

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT JUST KILL YOURSELF FAGGOT

I USED TO USE LINUX AND MACS FOR YEARS BUT I LIKE THIS MORE

EAT SHIT

Microsoft doesn't pay me, Microsoft doesn't pay anyone to shitpost here. You are the one who is shitting up this board, you are like those retards who scream summerfag at everything they don't like.

>Linux
>free
Linux is only free if your time is worth nothing

>worried about Microsoft shills when the apple shills aren't even hidingbtheir faggotry.

Tell that to the millions of users interrupted every day by a mandatory restart for a Windows update, or the ones whose OS was trashed by the 'anniversary update', or by the original 'pushy' windows 10 update.

How much is Red Hat paying you 0.1 cents a post?
Almost up to a penny now, aren't we?

You're 100% right OP. MS pays shills to post here and on other social media, especially tech boards.

Sup Forums, reddit, hackernews, etc. They push things like .NET and Visual Studio and even edge browser, they also bash Linux and try to get people to use FreeBSD instead to fragment the FOSS community.

Nobody on this board pays for software ya dingus

>He's autistic enough to think Microsoft would care enough to put money into advertising on a minuscule technology board on a chinese cartoon forum

'Standards compliance'. Microsoft should have no place in our government.

>0.1 cents has been deposited into your account. Thank you for shilling Linux Support!

>MS shills here must be employees

No one gives a fuck. The amount of self importance on this board is astronomical. You're a niche community on a niche website. No one gives a shit and it's not worth anyone's time to convince stubborn autists who are hell-bent on using Linux to use the world's most popular OS.

So, how much is Red Hat paying you to put this together? Please tell me it's more than 50 cents.

Swaying that minority causes a lot of viral PR and has a huge effect on marketing.

>tfw I was banned for "racism" once after i posted the poo in loo meme

I didn't put these together, someone else did. I'm primarily a windows user.

But the fanboyism is insane on Sup Forums. You're delusional if you think there aren't paid shills on Sup Forums promoting win 10.

Of course, it's a lot easier to just say I'm a shill too and continue using your botnet, so carry on.

Linux is shilled 24/7 when the majority of the board uses Windows. Don't be surprised that we Windows users occasionally feel the need to blow through your Linux bullshit.

>Commute near a Microsoft building
>50% of the people going in/out of the building are pajeets
Like pottery

Can you imagine if people started threads about Dell, or HP, or Acer, or even Adobe? They would be called out as shills immediately.

You give MS a free pass because you've never really thought about the fact that you're paying them for all the shitty things they do to you.

Windows users don't argue because they generally agree that Windows is garbage and the only reason they don't switch is that they either don't care or they need Windows for software / games.

How much is Red Hat paying you?

I want to keep using Linux as I have for years, but my hardware isn't changing and my drivers appear to be getting worse. I went from Ubuntu 11 and 12 being smooth to 14 and 16 being obviously slow and choppy.

Windows in the same time period, while becoming more invasive and anti-privacy (not shilling, MS is cancer-tier when it comes to privacy and I absolutely don't recommend anyone accept that as normal), has become inversely smoother and better at performing normal day to day computing functions.

I don't doubt there are paid shills here, but to be quite honest, and as someone who'd like to see Linux be BETTER than Windows at ALL times, I think there is work to be done.

There's no need to argue because Windows is #1 while Linux is so shit you literally can't give it away for free.

The only people that get upset about users decrying Windows are infantile reactive morons whose feelings get hurt because they are so shallow that they confuse their identity with their software.

>Windows users don't argue because they generally agree that Windows is garbage
this. as I said I've been using windows for YEARS. I don't shill it because I know it's trash. Gayming is the only reason I don't/can't fully switch.

>>has literally never used linux before

You seem to have caught the reflection of your Linux shilling in the mirror there, bud. Note how you're decrying the use of software while I'm only complaining about your 24/7 shilling.

>apt-get install firefox
>my Linux software suite is complete!

>there are no shils on Sup Forums
rbt.asia/g/thread/S52611239

>essentially doing the marketing work of a major corporation for free.
>implying that stating my actual opinion about a product is marketing
>implying that I have to shut up by default and I can only state my opinion if they pay me to
>but if that was true then I would be doing exactly what you accused me of doing
>mfw full circle

You can say whatever shit you want about Microsoft or its supporters, but it's a fact that Microsoft's products are standard of the industry and you need them. If you don't like it feel free to move to a cave somewhere with a solar powered Thinkpad running Gentoo with the FreeBSD kernel, nobody gives a shit about your hipster meme stuff that are useless in a work environment.

Concur with this. Windows is better and getting better in performance at the cost of being spied on like a dog. Linux is getting better in a lot of ways, but performance is now dodgy. I want to use Linux all day, but when at home and just wanting a smooth browser experience, I boot W10.

>Windows
>Getting better in performance
You almost got me there.

I don't want it to be true either, but W10 doesn't hang for one second between booting and launching chrome.

Don't estimate the amount of "marketing" companies on this board, especially from MS, Facebook and Apple. They are also responsible for fake reviews on Amazon

>it's a fact
>you need microsoft
Not really.

myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2012/11/12/ernie-ball-inc-still-rockin-11-years-without-microsoft/

wiki.fsfe.org/Migrated/EU Policies overview: Free Software and Open Standards#Germany

linuxinsider.com/story/50238.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kylin_(operating_system)

*underestimate

>11 years running a POS machine without Microsoft
You know you don't even need a computer or electricity for that, right?

Windows is only affordable if your privacy is worth nothing

You're posting on Sup Forums, so yours is obviously worthless.

Windows "evangelism" must be part of some paid conspiracy. There's no other explanation. It couldn't possibly be that their desktop competitors are fucking shit.

I am running 10 too, and the worst thing of all is that i can't switch to Linux because i'll lose all my data, and backing up 300gb of shit with my 16gb pendrive isn't feasible. So i'm currently stuck with an "OS" which gets a seizure all the time, literally a seizure, because the main window keeps focusing and unfocusing, losing input and becoming trasparent for half the frames it's on screen, swapping windows on top with windows behind said windows on top.
I fucking hate this thing, and i can't even toss it away.

>Linux is like Wikipedia, and Microsoft Windows needs to go the way of the Encyclopædia Britannica.

It's hilarious how you don't realise how apt a comparison this is, just not in the way you think.

I don't post EVERYTHING on Sup Forums. If I don't want to share something with the world, I certainly won't post it on a public website.

I've been thinking about switching, but I have had some poor experiences with Linux. That being said, I would like to learn more about it, and I think it would be a more productive argument. Plus, I never need to worry about buying an OS, and all the games I play are playable on Linux.

>If you like Ebil M$ then you must be a shill!!!!

Yeah, sure.

1) I don't care to pay for a product that works.

2) The US government spends money on stupid things all the time. From supporting Autistic manchildren like you to military forces they don't use. Microsoft licensing is just a tiny fraction of it.

3) Microsoft, Google and Apple are all using their patents to get money. You invent something, you charge money if someone else uses what you invented. That is how it works.

4) That policy is as outdated as Bill Gates' management is. Times change. Microsoft realized they can't convince the world to use .docx or MSN Internet.

5) Everybody benefits from open source, even evil corporations. Microsoft has been working with Linux since it's agreement with Novell circa 10 years ago.

And btw, Encyclopaedia Encarta was awesome and had stuff the Wikipedia still doesn't have.

>tfw gaming on Linux drunk off my ass and having a blast

I literally have no need for M$ products.

A lot of businesses are moving to iPads now for POS because ironically it's the cheapest option.
Fuck getting a $3000 Windows based POS with mandatory expensive support when you can get a $199 iPad mini 2 and a "free" square app and card reader (0.7% transaction fee).

>I used to think that all the MS shills here must just be MS employees
They are.

Stop believing otherwise. Microsoft invests TONS of time and energy on social media and large discussion sites doing absolutely nothing but promoting themselves and spewing tons of FUD and lies against any competition/threats to their fragile hold over the industry.

Microsoft is FIRST and FOREMOST a marketing company, not a technology company. Technology is just whatever they can cobble together. They sell the modern equivalent of snake oil, and people have convinced themselves that what they sell is the cure for all their computing woes and avoid alternatives because Microsoft has told the lie so much and so often in the guise of "normal people" that people believe it because of a false herd mentality.

Nothing less than a complete and total ban of all Microsoft-owned IP addresses and a constant surveillance of Sup Forums by knowledgeable mods that understand how Microsoft operates and can recognize their posts is acceptable. Sup Forums must move away from using Microsoft products and only use truly free OSes designed not for marketing purposes, but to empower YOU to do what you want, how you want, with YOUR computer.

There is nothing anyone can say, especially paid trolls that is already trying to derail this thread and spit poison at GNU and anything else that dares cross the Mighty Microsoft, that can change the reality of this. It's time, Sup Forums and Sup Forums posters. Fix this problem. This is our priority.

It's really a great feeling.

based Sup Forumsitler

>I used to think that all the MS shills here must just be MS employees
Nope. They're employees of Microsoft's contracted Reputation Managers, such as Waggener Edstrom and Burson Marsteller. Both these outfits were running thousands of sock-puppet bots on tech sites and forums promoting Vista.
If you don't understand this it's easy to become confused at the difference between your own experience and what thousands of other posts are asserting.

This.
I constantly run into windows problems and issues, 10 especially has just been utter trash for me. At the same time, some of my software is windows only or affordable for windows only. Keil uVision5 was free, the linux compatible development setup is not. Solidworks is much cheaper than Catia by a longshot, and so on.
If the software I needed had good alternatives or affordable alternatives I'd abandon windows in a heartbeat.

FreeBSD user here.

Sorry our superior system makes you feel impotent

Now, how do I fix this wifi issue *mummbles*

>windows 10 update
I don't have any sympathy for people who unironically use Win10

>Microsoft employee
$0.10 has been deposited into your account in Kulkatta

You fail to understand the meme you're quoting. It's free if your time is worth nothing, meaning you have to spend time to learn it, after you have learned it there is no extra cost to you.

I have had zero issues with Windows 10. Sorry if that makes me a paid shill.

I'd rather use GNU/Linux but then I can't use this $600 graphics card to its fullest potential.

As long as you are using Windows 7 and opted not to install the telemetry updates, you're fine. I am so tired of the Windows 10 shilling. The faggots posting LINUX SUCKS and WINDOWS SUCKS threads just need to stop. It was old years ago, and it's still old now. No one thinks any of these threads are valuable or entertaining, and you are not the first person to notice shortcomings in whatever OS you are criticizing. It's been done to death.

And people need to stop using DirectX 12 as a reason for why AMD cards don't suck. No one here uses Windows 10, and therefore, no one here uses DirectX 12. If you're talking about DX12, you're outing yourself as a Windows 10 user, and if you're a Windows 10 user, you don't have a place on this board, sorry.

>I use an obsolete OS
cool story, bro

I want to have this feeling, but linux is literally incompatible with the hardware I have.

I have to wait at least one more year, so they can release the poo in loo drivers for AMD, and have the ALSA drivers fixed for my MOBA whenever the update is ready.

Once that's set, I will use glorious linux finally. I'm so tired of the botnet, I can't wait for the year to come. Sure, I'll have to dual boot or emulate on win 7, but the pain will end.

It will end, and will be glorious.

AMD also has better Vulkan performance.

fuck off Microsoft marketing

Which is awesome, but not really relevant unless the only game you play is the Doom remake. I am quite excited by the new emulators that are being made which make use of Vulkan (specifically the N64 one that finally gives us LLE at playable speed), but it's not something that's going to influence my choice of video card for the next few years. Vulkan is definitely the future though, no argument there. If Nvidia doesn't step up by the time I need to upgrade this 1060, my next card will likely be AMD.

>Tfw Linux gives you food, Windows gives you coziness.

>I like having a 4GB vram limit on my DX9 games
Even cooler story, bro.

>M$ spends millions of dollars of money developing maintaining and patching an OS
>they give it away for free
>they use data mining and analytics on the users
>the users agreed to this when they installed the OS
>M$ makes money
>tfw op is surprised a corporation is using its resources to better its finances
we dont live in a fucking perfect world where freesoftware is installed by default on the most consumer and business oriented computers

Nvidia is already improving the Vulkan spec with NV extensions, only a matter of time before Vulkan on Nvidia is the way its meant to be played.

Windows 10 works for me.
What's so bad about that?

Tried a refresh?

>lel werks fer me
plebbit is to your left

linuxfags ruined this board. fuck off you desperate neets.

You seem to be short a copy or two

>needs
Google CentOS, moron.

I have to agree. Windows has had a fair run of making some great operating systems (95, 2000 Professional, XP, 7) but went off the deep end with 8 and more-so with 10 and made a joke of themselves infinitely worse than they did with ME and Microsoft Bob.
It's not just one way or the other, it happens both ways. Yes, obviously just about any board has people that are payed to advertise and they continually make shitty posts to get people talking about a device. And then you have "fanboys" on multiple sides that call each other out and brag about how theirs is better and it gets hard to tell them from the advertisers. I see it on /o/, Sup Forums, and Sup Forums all the time.

Not who you're responding to, but if more people use something in your family of products-- even if they are not paying at the moment-- then your standards remain commonplace and your hold on the market is better cemented. There is value in the fact that someone is simply using and becoming accustomed to your software. If people who weren't going to pay anyway start going to a free competitor, then they are learning to use software other than yours and are less likely to buy your product or influence others to buy it. Anyone interested in viewing or using their work might also learn those other softwares and become less reliant on your product. For that reason, Microsoft would rather you pirate their products then pirate a competitor's products or go open source.

>M$ spends millions of dollars of money developing maintaining and patching an OS
>they forcefully install it onto people's computers, destroying their legally bough operating systems they were happy with
>they use data mining and analytics on the users and sell it to the highest bidder
>the users had no choice and are further forced to install new spyware and ads with new updates
>M$ makes money
Here, I fixed this for you, dear shill

>I start to worry that there are actually people here who don't see that they're essentially doing the marketing work of a major corporation for free.

we're already there OP. It's called fanboyism, and you just need to look at Sup Forums to see how effectively corporations have wielded it.

I don't understand why either, I'm highly critical of the companies that make my favourite tools and products because there is always room for improvement and things can always be better.

Meanwhile faggots are happy to settle for garbage.